• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Squeezing fun out of Halo 3 MP is impossible for me. My shots just don't register. If anyone wants to play some Reach I'll be online for a while longer.

So glad Halo 4 is just a few months away.

I liked those Scarab battles in Halo 3. Those were pretty much boss encounters.

I didnt HATE any of the halo "boss battles.

Tartarus was okay
Regret was pretty shitty (the worst)
Heretic Leader was fine just a slightly different style of encounter.

Halo 3 Brute Chieftains were good mini bosses
Halo 3 Scarab were fun
Halo 3 Guilty Spark was a nice story event but i think it would of worked the same as a cutscene

The Halo Reach Mass Driver section is terrible.

TheOddOne

Squeezing fun out of Halo 3 MP is impossible for me. My shots just don't register. If anyone wants to play some Reach I'll be online for a while longer.

Now move to Europe and try to play it.

gob-letter-throw.gif

I disagree. Maps will benefit greatly from always being designed for 4v4 (or 8v8 ... 12v12 if we're dreaming).

When you throw in the arbitrary 5v5 objective or 6v6 squad slayer you suddenly have maps that are being shoehorned into a game that they weren't originally intended for. You can't honestly say that small maps, designed for 4v4 (like Guardian, Narrows, or even Powerhouse) would benefit from adding a 5th player to each team for oddball, king of the hill, etc. They would become crowded clusters.

Conversely if you put 6v6 on a Big Team map you end up with minutes of just running around looking for something to shoot and/or the objective becomes much easier to run.

I never mentioned the map sizes really. I meant that as a gametype since there is that 10 second down time and it requires much more coordination between teammates that 5v5 works for objective.

The entire problem with 5v5 objective in Reach is that the maps cannot support it and that the settings need to be tweaked to accommodate the change of playstyle.

daedalius

Yeahhhhhhhhhh Neogaf is back up, crap with HaloCouncil down aswell, went on waypoint for the first time in ages and I get suspended within 20 minutes because I wrote this to someone trying to flame me

'You were a commander grade 1 on Halo 3, you couldn't wreck a bit of paper.'

You can't even retaliate to people on there...

So you got suspended for being a dick?

Amazing how that works.

Oh come on, I did a 2v2 on a Denmark host and it was still fun!

If zoojoos was posting this stuff I'd believe him. You are no zoojoos.

So let me get this straight...

You don't know me so what I says is not not true?

???

Trying to arm a bomb in 5v5 on Asylum when you're playing against a fairly competent team is nigh impossible.
Exactly what I was trying to convey.

Shorter arm time, longer fuse, shorter defuse and better spawns... in general better maps and THEN 5v5 OBJ will work in Reach.

Gray Man

Banned
No she doesn't, but she did point out two things I was supposed to do, instead of clambering over an interesting bit of wreckage.

This makes me really happy, does anyone else love just wandering off and doing things like exploring "The Ark"? God, I love that mission. Halo 3's campaign is so much fun :). I felt like Reach wasn't as open, I felt confined. I'm sure it is more open than most games, but compared to the other Halo games it just wasn't the same.

Yeah. Running flags against a 5 man squad changes the dynamic of those games as well.

Yep, not to mention that the flag carrier is a cripple compared to the sprinting enemy team...

With the flag carriers 75% movement and no flag juggling people with sprint move 3x as fast.

No wonder Team Objective is played as Infinite Slayer.

Facepalm so hard that Frankie grows hair.

Leaving aside the mass driver turret sequence itself, what didn't you like about the fight to get to the Mass Driver? I loved that part.

Nothing, Thats why i didnt say "The halo reach end battle + last driver part is terrible".

Its just a shitty way to end the game with a forced turrets sequence that is near impossible to fail on the easier difficulties and requires you know the spawns of the phantoms on legendary.

Its zero fun, if reach ended with that and did not include Lone Wolf i would of been mighty pissed.

The end of reach is pretty much devoid of any sort of themes that you would expect from such a situation. No urgency, no difficulty spike, no sense of importance or epicness its all just falls flat.

Something Halo 3, ODST and Halo CE all conveyed really well and even halo 2 did a admirable job.

I think the scarab battles work because they aren't broken up in strict tiers. In a game like Halo where your movement and actions feel like they are governed by something resembling real physics rather than restricted by rigid, designed mechanics, contriving reasons for tiered encounters is jarring. The way you take down a scarab is in line with how fighting stuff usually works in the game; It lets you approach it directly with whatever sandbox items are around. Making you fuss around with different stages of a fight doesn't make as much sense in the gameplay context of Halo.

Yeah I'm not sure tiers would work within the context of Halo's combat. If we're going to fight something, I'd rather be able to take it down in one encounter. I mean, you can't be too sure until you try it, but the idea of fighting something like the Scarab in stages isn't too appealing to me.

Beckx

Nothing, Thats why i didnt say "The halo reach end battle + last driver part is terrible".

Its just a shitty way to end the game with a forced turrets sequence that is near impossible to fail on the easier difficulties and requires you know the spawns of the phantoms on legendary.

Its zero fun, if reach ended with that and did not include Lone Wolf i would of been mighty pissed.

Ah, got it, it was reading too much into "section" to include the whole scene from when you hit that area. I agree with you (forget boss battles, there are no turret sequences out there that I like).

raindoc

Resistance's boss fights work because they are heavily scripted. Yes, you can use nearly every weapon you picked up until that point, and yes, the fights look great. But they are to linear. No freedom in the fight. You are doing the same pattern at the end. Boring after the third play. (And I like Resistance 3 a lot)

If 343i can create an impressive boss fight without restricting the open sandbox gameplay, show it to me. But at the end I prefer fights like the Scarab. They were like "boss encounters"..

IMHO Resistance Boss fights get boring halfway through every boss. shoot that (body)part three times, shoot at another part. shoot the first part three times again, shoot the other part... repeat that pattern three times.
boring as hell.

but they are great for the atmosphere of the game because the creatures are to some extent part of the story and i love the "holy f***" moment a good boss gives you on first contact.

if 343I makes boss fights that don't repeat themselves in a pattern like Resistance's, but are more dynamic and even integrated into the standard gameplay like the mentioned scarab battles in H3* that would be awesome, i want to fight a war sphinx in such manner.
WAR SPHINXES.

23695244.jpg

*still mad at Bungie for not letting us destroy at least one of those during the effing invasion of Reach.

So let me get this straight...

You don't know me so what I says is not not true?

???

"Brodie: See, here's the pulse. And this is your finger, far away from the pulse, jammed straight up your ass. Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?"

lol Making people rage while we have our moms get us Lucky Charms.

EWWW COOTIES!!!

It's cool bro. I take regular showers.

Newest gaf bromance between Poison and Exwife?

Only if my confirmed twitter date with Bunnsize doesn't work out. Or if you win her over first. I can only handle so many romances at once, bros and hoes.

willow ve

Yep, not to mention that the flag carrier is a cripple compared to the sprinting enemy team...

With the flag carriers 75% movement and no flag juggling people with sprint move 3x as fast.

No wonder Team Objective is played as Infinite Slayer.

Facepalm so hard that Frankie grows hair.

To be fair, when I play with randoms (95% of my matchmaking) I find that when I play the 100% slayer role in objective my team actually wins more often than if I try to run/hold/play the objective. But you're right, most objective games in Reach devolve into infinite slayer because there is literally no incentive to win. Ever.

Havok

She's so mad!

Need to do that part again so I can listen.
I dunno if you've made it far enough in Crysis 2 for this to really resonate, but that game really made me appreciate how little pre-Reach Halo games egged the player on to move forward. Cortana would make her comments that were well-written and well-delivered, but they didn't repeat every ten seconds like Carter will occasionally ("C'MON SIX GET INSIDE). Crysis 2 has a few moments where the AI is literally shouting at you every five seconds after a firefight to move on...and it's not even a tense moment. I'm scavenging for ammo and there's just a constant blasting of "HEY PROPHET OVER HERE CMON SUIT MAN LETS GO BRO" and it honestly just makes me want to shut the game off. Most modern military campaigns are the same way, just with better timing of those moments.

Overdoziz

Banned
To be fair, when I play with randoms (95% of my matchmaking) I find that when I play the 100% slayer role in objective my team actually wins more often than if I try to run/hold/play the objective. But you're right, most objective games in Reach devolve into infinite slayer because there is literally no incentive to win. Ever.
When we go into TO with a team of 5 we usually just cap a flag and kill people until the game ends. It's mainly because we never get matched up with actual good players so we have to entertain ourselves.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wow I have to catch up a little bit, but it seems nothing really important happened.

But yes to refuge as asylum.

yes to everyone wo thinks uncaged should be killed with fire.

yes to nuking craigmire from the earth.

NO to boss battles in my Halo, yes to Scarab fights.

And yes to playing Halo, I don't cae which one, shoot me up GT Dedoubleyou

willow ve

When we go into TO with a team of 5 we usually just cap a flag and kill people until the game ends. It's mainly because we never get matched up with actual good players so we have to entertain ourselves.

Actually Objective in Reach reminds me a LOT of Rainbow Six Vegas mulitplayer. The reward for that game had very little to do with winning and was weighted almost entirely on time spent in matchmaking.

If they would go ahead and weight the game to be 80% reward for winning and 20% reward for time spent you would actually have incentive to really play.

Ugh... shuddering at the memory of nights and days with a rubber band on a controller just to get that last achievement in Rainbow Six Vegas. Multiplayer achievements are the worst. Especially grind em out achievements.

Wow I have to catch up a little bit, but it seems nothing really important happened.

But yes to refuge as asylum.

yes to everyone wo thinks uncaged should be killed with fire.

yes to nuking craigmire from the earth.

NO to boss battles in my Halo, yes to Scarab fights.

And yes to playing Halo, I don't cae which one, shoot me up GT Dedoubleyou

everytime you post your gt imma post this

llsjn.png

Just read something interesting on HBO:

Primordium audio book spoilers
Apparently, in the audio book version of Primordium, at the end of the book, you slowly hear Tim Dababo's voice (he narrates the audio book) transite into 343 guilty spark's voice. Pretty awesome and it's the first time I hear about it.

Hah, thats really cool.. That also reminds me I may want to re-read those books before Halo 4 hits.

That was a surprisingly good interview, I think it was the best job explaining things that I have seen. Also, hes looking gooood.

Well, side thought, that perhaps people here who make armor can explain:

Why does the fan-made armor look far and away better than the Package armor we've seen in FUD? And these look better without color grading and under convention lights. Is there some sort of more time-intensive process that goes into it that they skipped, or what? I know nothing about how this stuff gets down besides seeing some WIP on 405th.

While I don't make armor myself, I feel a lot of the issue comes down to the fact that MC is FUD looks a lot like a high quality plus sized action figure. The paint application mixed with the material its applied to makes him look very plasticy.. Mix that with his slightly more cartoony armor design and it really doesn't translate well. Another big issue is the visor IMO, while it was made by Oakley, it comes off as cheap plastic unfortunately.. The whole thing sort of looks like the Halo 3 Legendary helmet. It also doesn't help that he was filmed in a cheesy cliched manner, at least from what the trailer showed.. When he comes in it looks like a MTV movie awards spoof or something.

Even so, Im not trying to dig on FUD, Im hyped.. It just visually is underwhelming from what I saw.

I've just grown weary of it by this point. I have yet to see a video that has decent audio with continuous footage and decent gameplay. The closest we have is the B-roll stuff from E3, but that had terrible audio and wasn't a mission play through, so it was hard to get a feel for the mission.

But then again, part of me hopes they don't show too much more Spartan Ops before launch. I think I just want one good video of the mission they're showing off.

I agree, I don't want the whole thing spoiled like Reach, but I certainly want to see more from official sources.. Honestly I hope we get some vidocs and official trailers that spell things out clearly without all the story and location spoilers.

Heck, turn camo back into a pick-up and make jetpack one too. If it has to be in matchmaking I'd rather only one idiot has it.

Although bad players with jetpacks are quite fun to play against since they jetpack straight up immediately upon being shot. Straight up...out of any cover.

I agree, I would love for camo to be a pick up rather than an AA.. Maybe have another stealth AA that isn't as effective as camo, such as changing the suit to morph its colors to match textures? I dunno.

Prometheans are boss battles in themselves, to be honest. They call in as many Crawlers as they want to distract you and pressure you, they call in Watchers to counter any of your tactics at getting close/doing damage to them, and when shit hits the fan, they charge you like crazy.

It's also fun to have a Promethean distracted by your teammates and you think "sweet, I'll just sneak up behind him and get an assassination" only to have the Promethean smack you in the face with his elbow going "NOPE" as you go flying 20 feet across the play space.

That makes me want to play this game so badly..

Kuroyume

Banned
Objective fails in Reach because of the dumb settings. They remove flag juggling. So now your entirely dependant on your team for support since you're fucking slow as molasses. Good lucking getting that support with randoms. Especially now that people don't even communicate anymore but are in private chat. Removing flag juggling was one of Bungie's dumbest moves in the series.

There's also the greater general gamer attitude to objective games to blame for this. I blame that on stat tracking. You know what 343 should do? Remove kill counts and k/d from objective. That was there's no incentive for someone to get in there and just kill people unless they just want to be jerks.

They tried to add an incentive to win by adding a bonus payout to finishing matches but that makes no sense b/c the same bonus is given even if you slay all game. They are just rewarding the bad behavior not curbing it... what a fail.

Its as simple as this:

Alter the cR system to not be based solely by kills and the amount time the game lasted. These are the only 2 factors that contribute to cR gain and are the only 2 factors that destroy every incentive to play the objective. A simple inverse gain based on time duration will solve everything as well as a lower payout for kills. The ideal formula for the situation can be expressed as such:

K(3/5)+2R+A(1.5)
K=Kills
A=Assists
R=time remaining in seconds (game complete bonus)

This promotes playing the objective indirectly b/c the faster you win the more cR payout you get without having to subject certain players to actually get the points for their team. One's skill in an objective game is determined by how quickly you can get the win so this formula allows for the more skilled players to get an even greater payout.

Shorter games yield a massive payout and longer games will naturally accumulate more kills so the payout will also be large. Too often do players quit out of the game once they are losing which is a great problem with guests and one sided gametypes. This allows the winning team to get a modest payout b/c for all intents and purposes they beat the enemy into submission. As it is now, in any gametype you get little to no cR when the other team quits and it is very frustrating b/c it is not fun and a waste of time.

Hey nerd, thinking of buying D3, never played a game like it before missed both the previous diablo games

yay or nay?

Bout time, nerd. Dont worry about the previous ones I never really played those either. I find it very relaxing I just put on my music and click away. Juices#1991.

Play through it once for the moderately decent story, then invite me to loot and level the shit out of that game with you. Also let you borrow or have some gear I don't need.

lilty

You guys still playing Halo 3: Are you playing custom games or matchmaking? I tried playing social slayer with some friends last night and the experience was just awful. I honestly don't know how I played the game for 3 years, the netcode is atrocious after playing Reach. I also had to bump my sensitivity up to 6 because it felt so sluggish.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo 3. I like it a hell of a lot more than Reach. I just can't go back and play it now unless I'm playing MLG customs with a full group. Which is a huge shame really. :(

Got my arena placement, made it into Gold. I'm not really sure how Onyx works, since I only lost 6 games out of nearly 50. But whatever, I'll keep playing it and trying to work my way up. Now that I understand how the percent system actually works I can see I made a lot of progress just between Tuesday and Wednesday. (Like, a 40% jump)

Akai__

Damn I have to reach the general rank in HW. Any fast method to rank up pretty fast?

For those who want to boost their general in Halo Wars I present you the ultimate Halo Wars boosting tutorial. My friend and me figured out the fastest way. Other methods would take over an hour.

1. You will need two people to do this (You and 1 other person). The one which want to boost this round has to pick Brute Chieftain or Prophet of Regret, the other player needs a human, doesn't matter which one of the 3.

2. Get in a playlist like Deathmatch (1vs1) and search together. If you found a player quickly ask your mate if he found a player, too. If that's the case proceed to step 2, if not quickly cancel and search again. Continue until you find your mate. If you accidently find someone, rush him or just quit. In order to find your mate faster, make sure you have the same trueskill or +/- 1.

3. First of all, the booster, needs to capture all bases. Build a Prophet or Brute Chieftain in the beginning and destroy the bases with his power. If you have all bases, you will have a max. amount of 45 units (depends on map, could even be 35 or 25). Build only Locusts, because they are the fastest killing unit. You will also need a Prophet/Brute Chieftain. Just queue them up in the facility. If you have queued them up destroy all bases, ecxept the main base.

The other player (human and not booster) will have to wait, until the booster has destroyed all bases, that he has captured before. Now capture them and only build buildings which are providing minerals/credit. If you have all bases, wait until you have over 60.000 minerals. Make sure, that you capture all of the forerunner structures which are providing minerals with marines, too. The booster can clean them up for you, early in the game. You will also need a Warthog for later.

4. If your mate has ~60.000 minerals, the boosting begins for you. Destroy all of the human bases, except his main. After you destroyed them, head to the last base of your mate. Your mate has to set up his Warthog behind his last base, in order to rebuild it. You are not allowed to destroy it, because he will not be able to rebuild his base.

5. Now attack the base with your Locusts and Prophet/ Brute Chieftain, but make sure, that you can't see his Warthog and keep a maximal distance. Also make sure that all of your Locusts are shooting. Target the main base with all units and destroy it. The human, will have the options to rebuild it, after 5 seconds (1st time). After it got destroyed for the 1st time he will be able to rebuild it instant, after the Locusts destroyed it.

The booster doesn't have to do anything anymore, just let the Locusts destroy the base over and over again. The human has to rebuild the base, every time after it got destroyed.

6. Booster, press the back-button on your controller in order to see your points, if you hit the 4000 max points you can advance and win the game. After the game is over, you will get the highest multiplier possible and you will get ~30.000 points.

7. If done correctly it will not take you longer then 45 minutes for one map. Now switch your positions. Booster becomes human and human becomes booster(change to covenant).

8. Continue, until you are both general. It should take you ~30 games each.

---

If something is described in a bad way, ask me, I will clarify it for you, hopefully. Also, if people really want me to, I will make a shortened video with this method, soon.

willow ve

Got my arena placement, made it into Gold. I'm not really sure how Onyx works, since I only lost 6 games out of nearly 50. But whatever, I'll keep playing it and trying to work my way up. Now that I understand how the percent system actually works I can see I made a lot of progress just between Tuesday and Wednesday. (Like, a 40% jump)

Last time I played Arena I was put into Gold... seemed like the only way to climb the ranks was to play more and more and more games. I didn't even need to win a high percentage of the games; I just needed more games in my count.

Not sure if they've continued to tweak the Arena formula (doubt it) but that's the only way I found of ranking up higher.

Last time I played Arena I was put into Gold... seemed like the only way to climb the ranks was to play more and more and more games. I didn't even need to win a high percentage of the games; I just needed more games in my count.

Not sure if they've continued to tweak the Arena formula (doubt it) but that's the only way I found of ranking up higher.

If you don't start fresh then i think Onyx is impossible.

Arena was a massive failure and don't know how to feel about Halo 4's ranking system.

Looking around i can get it for about £32. Ill grab it soon. Im playing like ... nothing currently.

Started Darksiders 1 its okay, ME3MP is what i spend most my time on.

If you liked Portal try out Quantum Conundrum.

yay yay yay yay yay

I played D2 some but never got huge into it, but got D3. I still haven't beat it but it's pretty fun.

Looking around i can get it for about £32. Ill grab it soon. Im playing like ... nothing currently.

Started Darksiders 1 its okay, ME3MP is what i spend most my time on.

daedalius

I dunno if you've made it far enough in Crysis 2 for this to really resonate, but that game really made me appreciate how little pre-Reach Halo games egged the player on to move forward. Cortana would make her comments that were well-written and well-delivered, but they didn't repeat every ten seconds like Carter will occasionally ("C'MON SIX GET INSIDE). Crysis 2 has a few moments where the AI is literally shouting at you every five seconds after a firefight to move on...and it's not even a tense moment. I'm scavenging for ammo and there's just a constant blasting of "HEY PROPHET OVER HERE CMON SUIT MAN LETS GO BRO" and it honestly just makes me want to shut the game off. Most modern military campaigns are the same way, just with better timing of those moments.

Haha, no I haven't gotten to that part yet. The story is convoluted as fuck though and the suit AI always talking to you gets pretty annoying.

<RETRIEVE A TISSUE SAMPLE>...<RETRIEVE A TISSUE SAMPLE>...<RETRIEVE A TISSUE SAMPLE>

Woorloog

Banned
Haha, no I haven't gotten to that part yet. The story is convoluted as fuck though and the suit AI always talking to you gets pretty annoying.

<RETRIEVE A TISSUE SAMPLE>...<RETRIEVE A TISSUE SAMPLE>...<RETRIEVE A TISSUE SAMPLE>

And for some stupid reason it is the damn male voice. The female voice for the suit was so much better in Crysis 1.

willow ve

If you don't start fresh then i think Onyx is impossible.

Arena was a massive failure and don't know how to feel about Halo 4's ranking system.

I am worried that Halo 4 simply won't have a rank at all... like Reach. Granted there is some griefing, selling accounts and cheating with ranks. I would take that in an instant to have them back.

I proposed that there be a physical rank that constantly fluctuates. Put the "highest rank achieved" in their profile or on Waypoint, etc., but only show their current rank in playlists. That would eliminate a lot of the boosting, etc., because you could boost to a 50 but you would crash back out really quick.

A boss fight in an FPS would be superb if it didn't depend on 1. bullet sponge health and shields, or 2. weak spots, or 3. both. I can't think of a boss fight in a FPS that does this, though.

Hm. To anybody who's played Longbow: From the time you spent with it, did the map have a designated Red base and Blue base, or were there two purple bases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom