• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

30 games, is that each? thats like 60 games. What a stupid achievement. Each game is like 30 mins right? thats about 30 hours of boosting.

Why is that counted on waypoint and H2V is not.

My fastest boosting ever was in 30 minutes. But that was on a map which had like 7 bases to capture. But you won't find such a map in 1 vs 1, I think. But yeah, basically you are right.

daedalius

D3 is fun the first time through, then you're just doing the same shit over again that is barely more difficult and buying your gear off the AH.

Until you get to Inferno that is, then you just need to buy gear to get anywhere at all. Your progression in the game is literally how much gold you can cough up to buy upgrades on the AH, nothing will ever drop for you personally.

Also Domino's write-up about Prometheans sounds amazing.

Louis Wu

This Guy knows it. Love GAF. And does THC & HBO have Mobile versions? Last I checked they didnt.
You're right - HBO doesn't have one. It's been on my shortlist for a while, though; I just have to find the time to sit down and create it.

So I think HBO just got a free advertising campaign thanks to me :) (not that it needed one in the first place)

sooooooo, wu...
obligatory
we cool right?
rofl - of course. I wasn't very serious - after all, I get a lot of news from CyReN, as well!

Wow! I can't believe I found a Chieftain pep! This is totally happening Wu...
Holy crap. I don't know whether to be amazingly excited... or pissed that you decided to call me fat.

I'm definitely fat; I'd make a good Brute right now. Need to step up the bike rides, stat.

Well I think the bulletin nearly confirms that Chyler Silva is in fact Antonio "Major" Silva's daughter.
This has already been touched on, but I just wanted to confirm that it HAS been said that there's no relation. (GrimBrother One asked this question specifically, back in May, while he was on the FUD set, and was given a straight answer.)

I get matches quickly in super slayer and even if I did have to wait it would be worth it to not be playing with all that bloom and armor lock.
lolwut? There's still armor lock in Super Slayer. (And bloom, for that matter, though you're right, there's less of it than in TS.)

And I wanted to post this pic, because it made me laugh a lot this morning - Hedgemony made it, after he found the high-res press assets for FUD:

fudduntodawn_sm.jpg

Higher-res version here.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I am halfway through halo primordium

I think I have found an effective sleep aid - this book is more boring than a technical manual

I'm not sure if it was answered or not, but are these 3 Forge spaces separate from the 10 maps that will ship with the game?

I am halfway through halo primordium

I think I have found an effective sleep aid - this book is more boring than a technical manual

Wow really? I'm about half way through as well and loving it. Almost like a camp fire story.

Beckx

And I wanted to post this pic, because it made me laugh a lot this morning - Hedgemony made it, after he found the high-res press assets for FUD:

Higher-res version here.

OMG, he made me spit out my coffee with that this morning.

If you're on twitter and you aren't following @Hedgem0ny you're missing the show.

lilty

Last time I played Arena I was put into Gold... seemed like the only way to climb the ranks was to play more and more and more games. I didn't even need to win a high percentage of the games; I just needed more games in my count.

Not sure if they've continued to tweak the Arena formula (doubt it) but that's the only way I found of ranking up higher.

Okay, that's the second time I've been told it's based on games played. Earlier when I was in the playlist I got matched with an Onyx player and he told me that if I keep my win percentage where it is I should be put into Onyx after I hit over 100 games. Seems kind of silly but I guess it promotes consistency.

DopeyFish

Wow really? I'm about half way through as well and loving it. Almost like a camp fire story.

I dunno about you, but my campfire stories aren't usually centered around walking. There's no progression to any real story. Just 3 uncivilized people walking, complaining and having some spirit chime in and say "we beat forerunners awwww yeah"

I read cryptum yesterday and it was at least interesting.

D3 is fun the first time through, then you're just doing the same shit over again that is barely more difficult and buying your gear off the AH.

Until you get to Inferno that is, then you just need to buy gear to get anywhere at all. Your progression in the game is literally how much gold you can cough up to buy upgrades on the AH, nothing will ever drop for you personally.

Also Domino's write-up about Prometheans sounds amazing.

Quite a few people have done sub 1m challenges and beaten Inferno... You just have to strategize with a partner and work a build.

In a way yes its repetitive but so is every other game where after you beat it you are doing the same thing...Like Halo where you play the SAME maps over and over and shoot the SAME guns. Hell choose a different character play through their skillset. Its pretty fun and a wide range of stuff. I've only maxed 2 of 5 classes out so far. WD is an interesting playthrough.

Do you guys think a game next-gen based on the Bear trilogy would sell? But rather than a combat-emphasized FPS, it would be more of an artistic emotional story based on the style of the books; war would be present and common, but you would be working your way through the alien worlds and meeting all these crazy important characters and learning their stories rather than just shooting stuff with terminals as a side note.

You're right - HBO doesn't have one. It's been on my shortlist for a while, though; I just have to find the time to sit down and create it.

rofl - of course. I wasn't very serious - after all, I get a lot of news from CyReN, as well!

Holy crap. I don't know whether to be amazingly excited... or pissed that you decided to call me fat.

I'm definitely fat; I'd make a good Brute right now. Need to step up the bike rides, stat.

This has already been touched on, but I just wanted to confirm that it HAS been said that there's no relation. (GrimBrother One asked this question specifically, back in May, while he was on the FUD set, and was given a straight answer.)

lolwut? There's still armor lock in Super Slayer. (And bloom, for that matter, though you're right, there's less of it than in TS.)

fudduntodawn_sm.jpg

Higher-res version here.
I'm. gonna share this on my page and provide the credit to THC or you Louis Wu of course. This is hilarity.

Edit: Correction. Credit goes to Hedgemony.
Also a Mobile version for HBO would be pretty sick.

Louis Wu

Wu, AL is nerfed in SS and because of that, barely anyone uses it.
Heh - you're playing a different Super Slayer than I am, I guess.

I literally CANNOT REMEMBER a Super Slayer game that didn't have at least one armorlocker. (I can't tell you what percentage of my gameplay the list makes up these days - there's no easy filtering mechanism on Waypoint, and even if there was, playlists are no longer iincluded in the game history - but I'm in the list almost every night.)

::shrug:: Maybe it's because I play more scrubs than you, so I see more people using it? Dunno. It's there ALL THE TIME, though.

I'm. gonna share this on my page and provide the credit to THC or you Louis Wu of course. This is hilarity.
lol - I don't think you should credit THC - I'm pretty sure Hedgemony's never even been there. ;)

daedalius

Quite a few people have done sub 1m challenges and beaten Inferno... You just have to strategize with a partner and work a build.

In a way yes its repetitive but so is every other game where after you beat it you are doing the same thing...Like Halo where you play the SAME maps over and over and shoot the SAME guns. Hell choose a different character play through their skillset. Its pretty fun and a wide range of stuff. I've only maxed 2 of 5 classes out so far. WD is an interesting playthrough.

While I agree with your point about repetitious gameplay, I just don't see killing the computer enemies in D3 on the same level as fighting new people (discounting teams of awfuls) in any FPS, regardless of what map I'm playing or weapons I am using.

Okay, that's the second time I've been told it's based on games played. Earlier when I was in the playlist I got matched with an Onyx player and he told me that if I keep my win percentage where it is I should be put into Onyx after I hit over 100 games. Seems kind of silly but I guess it promotes consistency.

Last season. Played absolute minimum number of days to get placed. Lost like 2? games. Immediately placed Onyx (only like 70%, but whatever, I'm not an Arena addict). Did on accident essentially.

Win ratio has a bit to do with it. If you want like top 1% then you have to play a bunch, but it still doesn't mean anything. Even after being placed, we were getting games against 4 person parties of Gold/Silver/Bronze teams despite a couple thousand people in the playlist. Stupid.

EDIT: HATE shopping through GSA. FML

lilty

Last season. Played absolute minimum number of days to get placed. Lost like 2? games. Immediately placed Onyx (only like 70%, but whatever, I'm not an Arena addict). Did on accident essentially.

Win ratio has a bit to do with it. If you want like top 1% then you have to play a bunch, but it still doesn't mean anything. Even after being placed, we were getting games against 4 person parties of Gold/Silver/Bronze teams despite a couple thousand people in the playlist. Stupid.

I don't plan to play the Arena every single day, and I don't really care what my % is. I just want to get into Onyx to say "Hey, I was Onyx in Halo Reach." It's just one of those bragging rights things, like how I can tell people I had a 50 in 3.

Thanks for the knowledge though. This system seems really...confusing. :x

DopeyFish

The one thing I'm having a hard time comprehending is how the didact would be the enemy in halo 4

Especially after cryptum... The dude seems like the most grounded person.

What is master chief gonna do? Just chill out and have a beer with him? Hard time sensing hostility or evil from the character, to be honest

I think bear probably completely fucked up the character

It almost seems if he would be the enemy, it would only be temporarily...

I don't plan to play the Arena every single day, and I don't really care what my % is. I just want to get into Onyx to say "Hey, I was Onyx in Halo Reach." It's just one of those bragging rights things, like how I can tell people I had a 50 in 3.

The worst part is they still give you a rating for the day/each game. Still. When its purpose has been completely removed from the game. When all it does is inspire people to play greedy/stupid to get a high rating even though it doesn't go towards anything.

Woorloog

Banned
The one thing I'm having a hard time comprehending is how the didact would be the enemy in halo 4

Especially after cryptum... The dude seems like the most grounded person.

What is master chief gonna do? Just chill out and have a beer with him? Hard time sensing hostility or evil from the character, to be honest

I think bear probably completely fucked up the character

It almost seems if he would be the enemy, it would only be temporarily...
I'm betting that Ancient Evil in Halo 4 is either something else or something is going to change Didact drastically...

lilty

The worst part is they still give you a rating for the day/each game. Still. When its purpose has been completely removed from the game. When all it does is inspire people to play greedy/stupid to get a high rating even though it doesn't go towards anything.

It's funny though, if it was based on your daily rating I'm pretty sure I would have gotten Onyx without a doubt, haha.

Yea, it's kind of annoying it's still there. A lot of people I've ran into still think it's being used for their placement...

Swarmerr

I am worried that Halo 4 simply won't have a rank at all... like Reach. Granted there is some griefing, selling accounts and cheating with ranks. I would take that in an instant to have them back.

I proposed that there be a physical rank that constantly fluctuates. Put the "highest rank achieved" in their profile or on Waypoint, etc., but only show their current rank in playlists. That would eliminate a lot of the boosting, etc., because you could boost to a 50 but you would crash back out really quick.

This right here!

But odds of this happening is small, unfortunately..

While I agree with your point about repetitious gameplay, I just don't see killing the computer enemies in D3 on the same level as fighting new people (discounting teams of awfuls) in any FPS, regardless of what map I'm playing or weapons I am using.

I agree with that too . Its more interesting to fight players on Halo. After a day of work though I just want to zone out and go brain dead and I can do that a bit easier clicking in D3. I find it relaxing where Halo stresses me out more, people are always trying to wave their Halo dick in my face proving they are better than me. I don't always need that, nor do I care anymore. I'm good but theres always going to be better players than me. I'm too old for this stufffff.

lilty

This right here!

But odds of this happening is small, unfortunately..
I just want a 1-50 system in playlists simply for balance purposes. If there's a progressive rank system that's fine, I'm just sick and tired of getting games that are extremely one sided.

Aggrotek

I just want a 1-50 system in playlists simply for balance purposes. If there's a progressive rank system that's fine, I'm just sick and tired of getting games that are extremely one sided.

This can happen with an invisible ranking system. It just has to be a good one.

Woorloog

Banned
That's like comparing apples to oranges when we're comparing limes to lemons.

Precursors and Forerunners are quite different from what i understood.
So are humans and Forerunners.
And Precursors and Humans.
If Precursors can use Cryptums, why not humans as well?

It also occurs to me, maybe Cryptum technology is not Forerunner tech but actually Precursor tech.

Think of it like how you rank up in Halo 3's 1-50 system: The most important factor is winning the games you're playing (so win %), but the skill level of your opponents also plays a role. You get a better boost for beating a team of onyx players rather than a team of silver players (similar to beating a team of high 40's/50's rather than 30's). The factor that makes arena's system unique is that your rank is based on the position of the other ranked players, so you can actually increase in rank by not playing if the people in front of you played and lost a bunch.

Arena seems confusing because the system was totally different at launch and neither Bungie nor 343 made a strong effort to explain the changes to the general population (not everyone reads BWU's.)

lilty

This can happen with an invisible ranking system. It just has to be a good one.

That's fine, but as long as it's there and is the main component of deciding who plays each other. I'm fine with waiting a few extra moments in the searching screen if it ensures that I'm going to get a fairly balanced game.

There also needs to be a huge punishment for people who quit frequently. I know there's a suspension or whatever in Reach, but quitters are still a huge problem. Playlists like MLG really suffer if you don't have a full team/full lobby.

Welcome to Shiska. One man made that entire game nearly unplayable.

Remember when Lukems like flipped out when we said we wanted Shishka to just post why he does stuff? Lukems was all like " OMG WE CANT TELL YOU OUR BUSINESS SECRETS! WE ARE A COMPANY!"

Stuff was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom