• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, for Halo 4's theater, I hope the organization for films is closer to Halo 3 than Reach. I don't like how Reach organizes your film clips by map. It feels clumsy. Also Bregmann wants the ability to save a film from the post-game carnage report.
Well you can save films in Reach just my hitting start and going to the file browser. Much much better than Halo 3 were you would actually have to go to theater to save a film.
I never mentioned the map sizes really. I meant that as a gametype since there is that 10 second down time and it requires much more coordination between teammates that 5v5 works for objective.

The entire problem with 5v5 objective in Reach is that the maps cannot support it and that the settings need to be tweaked to accommodate the change of playstyle.
That's the point though. Given the maps we have in Reach, Team Objective being 5v5 makes no sense. All the maps play significantly worse, some are borderline ruined given the gametype and some suffer from significant performance issues with 10 players.
Now move to Europe and try to play it.

gob-letter-throw.gif
lol perfect
I hate infection but even I know that SvE Infection makes a universe of sense.

From their natural buffs of resistance and speed to the fiction behind it, the gameplay is much more enjoyable and balanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEvt5H6jvk
Agreed, I kind of expected it to be this way in Reach once we learned about how the Elites were in the game.
Since we know that Spartan Ops has matchmaking, I have a question.

Will skill or at least experience be a factor in matchmaking for Spartan Ops? Firefight in Reach does not factor that in, prioritizing connection (understandably, given the networking model). But the number of times I've had a good, skilled player in Reach Firefight is comfortably in single digits, out of thousands of games.

Since Spartan Ops looks to be a less grinding, more co-op Campaign style of mode, good partners will be even more important. Will good players find themselves getting paired with good players? And if not, in what ways will the mode encourage careful play and discourage poor? (Limited, non-pooled lives; pooled points during the mission; and so on.)

Firefight in many ways encourages bad players to go nuts, or at least does not motivate them to be careful. The pooled lives in Limited is one example of this; one bad player can drain the entire life pool, and unlimited lives removes any sense of challenge or consequence, turning the mode into a score attack fest. Whether Spartan Ops is fun in matchmaking will be determined by these kinds of decisions.
Although I understand and share you frustration with scrubs in Firefight, if Spartan Ops is using a network model even in the same ballpark as Firefight, even if it is significantly improved, I want all the emphasis of matchmaking on connection. I rarely play Reach Firefight because if you don't get host, it is simply a miserable experience 95% of the time.

Shadders

For the next 3 hours the highest unique donation to www.haloathon.com will win:

- The Gold McFarlane Master Chief
- Halo 4 T-shirt
- Halo Reach Noble Hoody (green)
- Halo 3 ODST Game (PAL)
- Halo Wars Game (PAL)
- 12 Month Xbox Live subscription
- Energy Sword Avatar Code

Precursors and Forerunners are quite different from what i understood.
So are humans and Forerunners.
And Precursors and Humans.
If Precursors can use Cryptums, why not humans as well?

It also occurs to me, maybe Cryptum technology is not Forerunner tech but actually Precursor tech.
Precursor Tech are effected by the Halo array. Cryptums are Forerunner tech. made for Meditation & Self-imprisonment or Exile.

Woorloog

Banned
Precursor Tech are effected by the Halo array. Cryptums are Forerunner tech. made for Meditation & Self-imprisonment or Exile.

Ah, true. Forgot that bit.
Hmm. Maybe it is based of Precursor Tech though, i mean, kinda got a vibe Forerunners more or less stole a lot from Precursors, just like the Covenant did with Forerunner tech.

Vire

Since we know that Spartan Ops has matchmaking, I have a question.

Will skill or at least experience be a factor in matchmaking for Spartan Ops? Firefight in Reach does not factor that in, prioritizing connection (understandably, given the networking model). But the number of times I've had a good, skilled player in Reach Firefight is comfortably in single digits, out of thousands of games.

Since Spartan Ops looks to be a less grinding, more co-op Campaign style of mode, good partners will be even more important. Will good players find themselves getting paired with good players? And if not, in what ways will the mode encourage careful play and discourage poor? (Limited, non-pooled lives; pooled points during the mission; and so on.)

Firefight in many ways encourages bad players to go nuts, or at least does not motivate them to be careful. The pooled lives in Limited is one example of this; one bad player can drain the entire life pool, and unlimited lives removes any sense of challenge or consequence, turning the mode into a score attack fest. Whether Spartan Ops is fun in matchmaking will be determined by these kinds of decisions.

From what I've seen, it seems like you have unlimited lives until the last person dies and for me, this is a good thing. Most of my frustration with matchmaking Firefight originated from people wandering off, using up all the lives and just overall playing like total morons. Their bad play punished me. In this mode, I don't have to rely on the other players and feel like they are holding me back. Even if they suck I can carry them to the finish line as long as I myself don't die. The respawning system seems to work like Invasion's Battle-Bro system. Firefight with unlimited lives isn't much fun because there's no goal or purpose to it other than just to kill stuff. With this, you are at least progressing through a storyline and accomplishing something. Would I love improvements to matchmaking so that it could weed out the less than desirable teammates? Of course. But I can at least deal with it now without slamming my controller with rage because my teammates used up our last life.

Ah, true. Forgot that bit.
Hmm. Maybe it is based of Precursor Tech though, i mean, kinda got a vibe Forerunners more or less stole a lot from Precursors, just like the Covenant did with Forerunner tech.
More or Less. But
Ancient Humans Mostly used Precursor Tech. and were Technologically Advanced as the Forerunners.
Invest research in wikis for more data.

Woorloog

Banned
More or Less. But
Ancient Humans Mostly used Precursor Tech. and were Technologically Advanced as the Forerunners.
Invest research in wikis for more data.

The funny thing about Cryptum and Primordium is that i practically forgot everything in them after i read them.
Hard to say whether i liked them or not...

The funny thing about Cryptum and Primordium is that i practically forgot everything in them after i read them.

I remember them both well, although more funnier, is that I remember the journey in Primordium more, especially seeing as it was the worst part of the book!

I also call Gamelpar, Game-plar. Everytime.

maths is so hard, but this did also make me lol.
lol I just re-thought it, the score can increase unbounded. After the the initial kill which would boot whoever was killed, two players on opposite teams could trade off killing each other, their K/D spreads oscillating back and forth between 0 and 1 forever.

IHaveIce

Banned
Cryptum is still in my head, but I forgot most of the journey thing in Primordium, didn't understand the "end-phase" that well and some things I don't know if they were answered in the book, like was the name of the Woman ever revealed? edit: I mean the human girl, wasn't her name a mystery?

Alrighty, I still need to touch up the NeoGAF logo. Before I do that, what does everyone think?

EDIT
THE CENTER TEXT WAS AN EXPERIMENT, I UPLOADED THE WRONG ONE!
dude submit it, I NEED IT

GhaleonEB

Although I understand and share you frustration with scrubs in Firefight, if Spartan Ops is using a network model even in the same ballpark as Firefight, even if it is significantly improved, I want all the emphasis of matchmaking on connection. I rarely play Reach Firefight because if you don't get host, it is simply a miserable experience 95% of the time.

I understand this, and emphasized it in my subsequent post. I think there are ways to create a better co-op experience through in-game settings so as to not impact the connection priority.

I'm harping on this now, though the pessimist in me expects to be doing so until Halo 5 hits. I'm expecting pooled or unlimited lives and separate in-game scoreboards during Spartan Ops - which will only make things as bad as Reach's Firefight. I really hope I'm wrong and those and other settings are configured with motivating team play in mind.

Alrighty, I still need to touch up the NeoGAF logo. Before I do that, what does everyone think?

EDIT

I think it's freaking awesome, that's what.

Ryaaan14

Banned

EDIT

I would buy a shirt with that, so long as the logo is large and offcenter over one side of the chest. Mmmmmz.

Alright, here is the alternate text version.

Its nice, you lazily removed the text in the banner at the bottom so id fix that up and the GAF logo needs to be much shaper or its going to looking horrible on a tshirt.

Original since i have not seen it posted and things like this are mega useful.

Its nice, you lazily removed the text in the banner at the bottom so id fix that up and the GAF logo needs to be much shaper or its going to looking horrible on a tshirt.

Original since i have not seen it posted and things like this are mega useful.

I know I need to fix the logo, it's edges are slightly transparent. I am probably going to have to rebuild the logo from scratch.

ALSO, the banner at the bottom. Should it say something? What would be an appropriate HaloGAF motto?

blamite

Alright, here is the alternate text version.

I'd use this version of the Halo logo rather than the Reach version:

hGq0E.jpg

The "Halo" looks pretty squished in your version too, I'd say keeping the aspect ratio correct is more important than keeping the text short.

IHaveIce

Banned
I know I need to fix the logo, it's edges are slightly transparent. I am probably going to have to rebuild the logo from scratch.

ALSO, the banner at the bottom. Should it say something? What would be an appropriate HaloGAF motto?
BELI343 but in the way like it's done on the other shirts would be cool.

No. It was not.
Thanks Hyper, that wouldn't let me sleep if no one answered this lol <3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom