• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he misunderstood you, haha.

You're saying the new stuff is fun, right? And that Halo 4 being stripped down isn't necessary?

I think all new the stuff in Halo 4 is complimentary to the games core mechanics. The abilities in Reach distract from base Halo and ruin the flow of combat, a feeling a never had when playing Halo 4.

I'm not opposed to stripped down Halo 4, but I really like all the new changes. I especially like the weapon variety and how useful everyone weapon is, nothing feels utterly useless. It makes playing game all the more interesting.

The base game looks fun. Everything else...not so much.

I guess I'm one of the few that likes the all the changes akin to "Action Sack". That's always what Halo has been about for me. I don't doubt that what 343 is making is ridiculously fun, which, to me, is what matters most. As long as some sort of legacy support is there, I'm sure people will be pleasantly surprised - especially after Reach.

To be fair, Reach always has sounded great to me "on paper", but the execution has been lacklustre in my opinion. Halo 4 - at least from what I've seen - looks to be a logical expansion on the ideas, a sort of "second attempt", but with fresh eyes. Nothing has me more pumped than to get my hands on it at PAX.

I think he misunderstood you, haha.

You're saying the new stuff is fun, right? And that Halo 4 being stripped down isn't necessary?

Yeah there was some edit shenanigans going on there.

Sai-kun

Banned
DEAR (some number shit here) UNKNOWN (some number shit here)

YOU ARE FUCKING STUPID AND ANNOYING AND THE REASON I LEFT HALOGAF. GO AWAY PLZ. NO ONE LIKES YOU

THX <3 VH5

PFfHb.gif

TheOddOne

DEAR (some number shit here) UNKNOWN (some number shit here)

YOU ARE FUCKING STUPID AND ANNOYING AND THE REASON I LEFT HALOGAF. GO AWAY PLZ. NO ONE LIKES YOU

THX <3 VH5
Nobody likes me in real life and on the interwebs. Time to reevaluate my life, my goals and my habits. Time to join Zayne.

I think all new the stuff in Halo 4 is complimentary to the games core mechanics. The abilities in Reach distract from base Halo and ruin the flow of combat, a feeling a never had when playing Halo 4.

I'm not opposed to stripped down Halo 4, but I really like all the new changes. I especially like the weapon variety and how useful everyone weapon is, nothing feels utterly useless. It makes playing game all the more interesting.

My point was that any stripped down, competitive settings that are to come from Halo 4 are going to have a vastly better game to build on than they had with Reach.

I like the new starting weapon variety too, but I'm still not sold on armor abilities and perks.

Having caught up on Comic-con and all related Halo 4 coverage, I think I will buckle and pre-order the Limited Edition.
I want to believe...

I mean 343 still haven't addressed matchmaking in a proper manner (which is ridiculous, they should strongly consider doing a PAX Panel with the matchmaking team where they unveil that entire feedback and update loop), but I .. want to believe that they'll do it right.
Anyway, their narrative ambitions seem to line up with my desires, so I was there anyway. The LE, while disappointing, seems worthwhile.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Having caught up on Comic-con and all related Halo 4 coverage, I think I will buckle and pre-order the Limited Edition.
I want to believe...

I mean 343 still haven't addressed matchmaking in a proper manner (which is ridiculous, they should strongly consider doing a PAX Panel with the matchmaking team where they unveil that entire feedback and update loop), but I .. want to believe that they'll do it right.
Anyway, their narrative ambitions seem to line up with my desires, so I was there anyway. The LE, while disappointing, seems worthwhile.

Why would they reveal matchmaking details? We've never gotten any details other than the unique gametypes being added to the game (which we still haven't seen all of). Hell they've already alluded to more gametypes in MM than we've ever gotten before.

raindoc

Woahhh. Multiplayer is terribad but I loved the SP.

me too - great sandbox imho - but the higher difficulties lack a serious challenge. halfway through on highest difficulty i found myself cloaked between two cephs, only 1-2 meters away from them. still didn't notice me. from that point onwards it was boring, because i knew i could just sneak past them, anytime i wanted to.

daedalius

Its also much more entertaining to spectate than everyone using the exact same items.

me too - great sandbox imho - but the higher difficulties lack a serious challenge. halfway through on highest difficulty i found myself cloaked between two cephs, only 1-2 meters away from them. still didn't notice me. from that point onwards it was boring, because i knew i could just sneak past them, anytime i wanted to.

Great sandbox wut? I've just used a rifle and a sniper for the entire game since I manage to get them. Apparently there is some 3 shot burst rifle at some point, but I still haven't found it.

Why would they reveal matchmaking details? We've never gotten any details other than the unique gametypes being added to the game (which we still haven't seen all of). Hell they've already alluded to more gametypes in MM than we've ever gotten before.
Not matchmaking details. The communication plan, the change plan, introduction to the team, improvements & lessons learned from their Halo Reach matchmaking, etc.
Instilling confidence that it won't be the same mess basically, rather than not talking about it at all.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Not matchmaking details. The communication plan, the change plan, introduction to the team, improvements & lessons learned from their Halo Reach matchmaking, etc.
Instilling confidence that it won't be the same mess basically, rather than not talking about it at all.

Frank has spoken pretty openly in the threads about the trials and failures of previously integrated matchmaking features. I still feel like the things you mentioned are uncommon, and a little bit unreasonable. Matchmaking is something that can't be scripted, it is something that needs to react and evolve based on user activity. We don't know how many people are going to be spending time in unannounced gametype X, compared to the already confirmed classic playlist or even Infinity Slayer. So what's the purpose in announcing a "communication plan" or "change plan"? Just give us playlists and treat them appropriately I say. I don't give a fuck about matchmaking info 4 months before I even set foot in the game.

TheOddOne

Frank has spoken pretty openly in the threads about the trials and failures of previously integrated matchmaking features. I still feel like the things you mentioned are uncommon, and a little bit unreasonable. Matchmaking is something that can't be scripted, it is something that needs to react and evolve based on user activity. We don't know how many people are going to be spending time in unannounced gametype X, compared to the already confirmed classic playlist or even Infinity Slayer. So what's the purpose in announcing a "communication plan" or "change plan"? Just give us playlists and treat them appropriately I say. I don't give a fuck about matchmaking info 4 months before I even set foot in the game.
This would be my opinion on the matter too. I think Frank and Co. are avoiding the questions about ranking and matchmaking, because not everything is set in stone. If they were to leak some of the details, there would be a strong disclaimer stating “work in progress, subject to change”. Which would mostly piss off people more if those announced features were not in the final product. Trials and tribulations of development, you got to put out solid information but you can’t spill all the juicy details too fast.

My focus is on what kind of communication system will there be for matchmaking and what has changed from Halo: Reach to Halon4 in how they will handle it.
Well I feel differently. Managing the mp game post launch is one of the key factors when it comes to the long term viability (and therefore a big part of the purchasable value) of it.

Matchmaking will be arguably the thing we'll be talking about here most for the next few years of the game. That's how it has always been.

Crysis 2 is meh as fuck.

I was surprised by how bad that game was, im pretty sure at this stage the only people hyped for Crysis 3 are just in it for the graphics.

This place has been weird, but yay Vh is posting again. That said the Unknown guy doesnt seem so bad lol? I havent really been around as much so I probably missed the madness.

TheOddOne

I was surprised by how bad that game was, im pretty sure at this stage the only people hyped for Crysis 3 are just in it for the graphics.

This place has been weird, but yay Vh is posting again. That said the Unknown guy doesnt seem so bad lol.
I would say that the first one was more loved because of the graphics too.

Ryaaan14

Banned
My focus is on what kind of communication system will there be for matchmaking and what has changed from Halo: Reach to Halon4 in how they will handle it.
Well I feel differently. Managing the mp game post launch is one of the key factors when it comes to the long term viability (and therefore a big part of the purchasable value) of it.

Matchmaking will be arguably the thing we'll be talking about here most for the next few years of the game. That's how it has always been.

I don't get it, that's basically what I had stated. How can you make an announcement about what your plans are with matchmaking before anyone starts playing the game? I would MUCH rather have dynamic decisions be implemented after people start playing rather than plan it out before people play and make promises.

I don't get it, that's basically what I had stated. How can you make an announcement about what your plans are with matchmaking before anyone starts playing the game? I would MUCH rather have dynamic decisions be implemented after people start playing rather than plan it out before people play and make promises.
I don't get you either :p.
I'm not asking for what will be changed on what map, but how they plan on communicating it and what will be different from how matchmaking for Reach was handled & communicated.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't get you either :p.
I'm not asking for what will be changed on what map, but how they plan on communicating it and what will be different from how matchmaking for Reach was handled & communicated.

So you want them to hold a community press conference about changes? I don't really understand what you're asking for here. You clearly want more than people doing their job and making on-the-fly changes to the system based on statistics.

So you want them to hold a community press conference about changes? I don't really understand what you're asking for here. You clearly want more than people doing their job and making on-the-fly changes to the system based on statistics.
Could you be just a bit more sarcastically passive aggressive?

Asking for transparency, not a press conference smartass. Look at competive games like League of Legends for a good update notification model.
Weekly breakdown of changes in comparision to the monthly one at 343.
A place for a dialogue with the matchmaking team about Squad Slayer's removal for example.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Could you be just a bit more sarcastically passive aggressive?

Asking for transparency, not a press conference smartass. Look at competive games like League of Legends for a good update notification model.
Weekly breakdown of changes in comparision to the monthly one at 343.
A place for a dialogue with the matchmaking team about Squad Slayer's removal for example.

Oddly enough I wasn't even being sarcastic, based on what you were asking for.

Look at what you're using as the base for your current evaluation of 343's ability to manage playlists. A game developed by Bungie, and halfway through it's lifespan transferred over to another developer, and adding a title update on top of it to incorporate a whole other game to intertwine with the multiplayer population. I'm not fellating 343 by any means, but this is a really shitty scenario to set standards for, especially for their first fullblown Halo game. If there were any grounds to complain about transparency, aim it towards the way they're marketing the game compared to Bungie, as has been displayed in this thread by the admiration shown for Bungie's well-produced ViDocs and Weekly Update teasers. Not what they haven't done for their first Halo game's matchmaking.

Akai__

FUCK YOU

edit da fuck

Don't be mad at me, but please just ignore him. I don't want any of you guys to be banned, because of bullshit reasons...

I play default, default, non-inverted.

I just tried Green Thumb, Southpaw, inverted.....wtf?!

Hey, are you still voice banned? You probably checked everything allready, but if not: Does it only appear in Reach? Have you checked your voice setting in Reach? Once I turned off my Xbox while Reach was saving and my settings were all on default.

Happened to me in BF3, too. You don't want to fly the jet or the helicopter with default settings, lol.

Check also your REP on your profile.

(Everybody should. It's funny to know how many people are avoiding or favouring you)

Mic died. Ggs all.
Don't be mad at me, but please just ignore him. I don't want any of you guys to be banned, because of bullshit reasons...

Hey, are you still voice banned? You probably checked everything allready, but if not: Does it only appear in Reach? Have you checked your voice setting in Reach? Once I turned off my Xbox while Reach was saving and my settings were all on default.

Happened to me in BF3, too. You don't want to fly the jet or the helicopter with default settings, lol.

Check also your REP on your profile.

(Everybody should. It's funny to know how many people are avoiding or favouring you)
I'll check tomorrow. Thanks.

raindoc

Its also much more entertaining to spectate than everyone using the exact same items.

Great sandbox wut? I've just used a rifle and a sniper for the entire game since I manage to get them. Apparently there is some 3 shot burst rifle at some point, but I still haven't found it.

if you use a sandbox only to dig and not build any castles, it's not the sandbox's fault.
the ability to customize weapons in-game along with power amplifiers for shields, cloak or mobility opened doorways for tons of different ways to approach the game AND change that approach whenever wanted, unlike the usual 2 weapons only combo. of course everyone will have favorites, but just having the option to sneak around enemies and stealth-kill some just so you could get into a position from which you could rain down death on the enemy, juggernaut-style made it a refreshing experience imho.
it doesn't add to the challenge - as i said before my biggest "problem" with the C2 SP - but that is much more a problem of the AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom