• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And my whole point is, show us what's different to Reach so we can understand and be confident that past mistakes won't be repeated.
This remark, and your whole conversation with Ryaaan14, is interesting to me, and pretty much on the button for the stuff I'm writing my dissertation about. I think in terms of 'transparency', there are a few interrelated issues, and I'd be curious to see how you, or anyone else, feels about them.

The first is to what extent, if any, 343 owe us any sort of explanation or justification of their choices. From the point of view of a developer, there's often a nice dovetail in explaining and marketing, right? In many ways any sort of reveal of a feature or game mechanics is also a happy advertisement for the game, which serves to grow sales. In people like Frankie or David, of course, we are fortunate to have authentic fans who authentically enjoy these games and authentically enjoy talking about them -- which is good for all stakeholders, including Frankie and David -- but is this something they are actually obliged to do for their community? If you put their involvement along a spectrum with other developers, they're pretty far toward 'maximum' already. Now, you can draw a distinction between their involvement here and what they're allowed to say (in accordance with the dictates of Microsoft), and demand that the latter be more expansive, but that's trying to upend the traditional marketing paradigm for a franchise like this, for a product like this.

It's interesting that you mentioned League of Legends, because that's an indie-ish PC success, and that's a platform where these sort of demands are more expected and more accommodated than the traditionally closed console space. That's changing as consoles become more PC-like, of course, but it's still a slow transition under a goliath and highly protective platform-holder like Microsoft.

I think with LoL, or Starcraft, there's also a stronger understanding on the part of all stakeholders that these are games in a very classical sense -- they have rules that need to be available and transparent to players, and these are even shaped by those players because as games depend on players for their very existence. On this view, held by some developers and publishers (the biggest of whom would be Valve and Blizzard), multiplayer videogames are constituted by the people who play them; there would literally be no game if the game were not played. Others still hold to a very traditional understanding: they create the game in an ivory development tower, they disseminate said game to an audience that should feel lucky to receive it, and then they walk away and count the cash. Now, there's obviously a tension and a balance between these views, and it shifts back and forth across time and across companies and across products, but the way these issues are being hashed out right now within the Halo community -- especially in the aftermath of Reach, which is widely understood, at least among the 'hardcore', to have been a 'failure' in some respects -- is fascinating to me.

Short version: I'm increasingly curious where people within HaloGAF stand on the idea that developers owe them anything, least of all an explanation. I think it's pretty clear that we're more towards the "we make the game, at least the multiplayer portion of it, by the very act of our purchasing and playing it, so tell us how you are going to curate it and cater to us", and I think the good faith of people like Frankie and David helps to smooth over the fact that Microsoft, and probably plenty of people within 343, feel strongly that the license is theirs, the game is theirs, and our 'rights' as a receptive community extend only as far as the point of sale; every moment of community interaction is only and solely another kind of marketing.

a zoojoo

Banned
Haha, good satire VH!
LOL!
I'm curious to know what type of pjs Heckfu sports.

I was thinking something along the lines of...
sexy-pjs-girls.jpg
Would.
Did you also enjoy being invited to a pre-release VIP Halo 4 party with the developers?

OH_YOU.jpg

Also, since i'm the Caboose of HaloGAF, would my name be ZooBoose or a CabooJoo?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's your opinion, in my opinion, the only thing Reach beats H3 on is the connection.

Oh that was my opinion? Shit thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else notice a lot of people are going back and playing Halo 3? Kinda funky movement going on.

raindoc

I think you're not including certain events – not intentionally – and this is why you're coming to the conclusion you are. It seems you're only including the events surrounding Mendicant Bias up until the point he switched sides to the Gravemind. Remember: He was defeated by Offensive Bias, and it's entirely possible he had some interaction with his AI opponent after he was captured. So after he was defeated, in addition to whatever events he witnessed that were a direct result of his decision – so, in your thinking, "new sets of data" – he reevaluated everything. He looked at the consequences of his actions, and thus my original point:

OB broke MB apart upon defeat, because he was "scared" of getting corrupted by him, this makes any other sort of interaction between the two unlikely (not impossible though).
everything else pretty much sums up what i'm saying: if MB changed his opinion, facts that led to his first desertion changed.
it could have been a reason as simple as the Gravemind lying to him and, for example, promising victory and hence unity, peace and wisdom for all, leaving the defeated MB mad and disappointed. or maybe he learned something about the Flood on the Ark or even had a Space-Child epiphany that made him change his mind: in either case he had "good" reasons for it and not just a "mood swing" (i kinda understood your first post going into that direction), i give an AI (and Halo's writers) so much credit.
before this argument get's out of hand, i'll try to make myself clear: i'm more interested in Why MB decided to help the Reclaimer, than i am in How he did it, because story wise it is a big deal IMHO. MB's treachery is a major, if not the nail in the Forerunner Empire's coffin. His sole purpose was to help defeat the Flood, but then he changed sides (AFAIK an unprecedented case?) only to make up his mind again, when he is (seemingly) defeated.
that behavior is suspicious in my book and i wouldn't let him get away with no better explanation than "i had a couple of bad eons, but now i'm on your team again".

It's not that it took him 100,000 years to make up his mind – he could have changed his mind in 1,000 – but it's not like he was in a position to do anything for those 100,000 years.

Also, I think your expectation of AIs in Halo is wrong. From the beginning, there's been a biological component to AIs, that of mapping human brain patterns for human AIs and (Primordium spoilers)
turning consciousnesses into an AIs
. They're not simply logic-based computers. Cortana has emotions – she took revenge on Ackerson in the first book.
Do we know if Mendicant Bias was created like the Monitors?

Striker

He forgot gametypes. 3 had some shitty ones: VIP everywhere, long returns times in CTF, instant arm Assault, no 3 Plots, heavy dose on Territories, etc. I get tired of Slayer easily so I tend to slide toward objective based playlists more often and they just didn't do it for me. Reach's didn't help itself when Bungie decided to bring in junk like Speedflag, Flag Slayer, etc. after ridding TO of the fringe stuff.

At least I feel Reach did those things right, and its feedback system, which itself is pretty dang good.

Here's the thing with biggy's ban, though: when I run across people on XBL who've been mute-banned, I see the little circle-with-the-slash next to their name - and I can choose to manually unmute them. mastrbiggy has no such symbol next to his name - and no way to manually un-mute him. When he logs on with that gamertag, it looks to other players like he doesn't have a mic plugged in at all. (And it's clearly not a hardware issue, because if he logs out of that gamertag and into his temp tag, everything works fine.)

biggy - I'm wondering if you didn't somehow set your audio prefs to ban YOURSELF, or something... or turn on family restrictions, or SOMETHING. Possible?

I wish someone from 343 would weigh in on what might be causing biggy's issue - and whether there's any solution to the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's some kind of glitch. I have a friend who didn't play Reach for like 7 months and when he got back on he had no mic symbol and I could only hear him in party chat. Nothing I did fixed it. I've had it happen with 2 or 3 other people since.

edit: On Halo 3 vs. Reach. Halo 3 is better in every aspect besides netcode. LAN or split-screen Halo 3 is amazing.

This remark, and your whole conversation with Ryaaan14, is interesting to me, and pretty much on the button for the stuff I'm writing my dissertation about. I think in terms of 'transparency', there are a few interrelated issues, and I'd be curious to see how you, or anyone else, feels about them.
Can I read this once you're done?
Short version: I'm increasingly curious where people within HaloGAF stand on the idea that developers owe them anything, least of all an explanation. I think it's pretty clear that we're more towards the "we make the game, at least the multiplayer portion of it, by the very act of our purchasing and playing it, so tells us how you are going to curate it and cater to us", and I think the good faith of people like Frankie and David helps to smooth over the fact that Microsoft, and probably plenty of people within 343, feel strongly that the license is theirs, the game is theirs, and our 'rights' as a receptive community extend only as far as the point of sale.
I don't know what 343i "owes" to the fans, or, more to the point, I think any heated discussion about that can only end badly. However, in regards to 343 being more transparent and open about some of the decisions they make, I think it's beneficial to be that way because, at the very least, I think it will enable the fans to give better feedback. And that can only help the developers.

Of course, on the other end of that, you will have some people not giving any meaningful feedback at all and simply resort to calling 343 "stupid," but I think those same people will do that regardless if 343 is more open about their decisions.

OB broke MB apart upon defeat, because he was "scared" of getting corrupted by him, this makes any other sort of interaction between the two unlikely (not impossible though).
everything else pretty much sums up what i'm saying: if MB changed his opinion, facts that led to his first desertion changed.
it could have been a reason as simple as the Gravemind lying to him and, for example, promising victory and hence unity, peace and wisdom for all, leaving the defeated MB mad and disappointed. or maybe he learned something about the Flood on the Ark or even had a Space-Child epiphany that made him change his mind: in either case he had "good" reasons for it and not just a "mood swing" (i kinda understood your first post going into that direction), i give an AI (and Halo's writers) so much credit.
before this argument get's out of hand, i'll try to make myself clear: i'm more interested in Why MB decided to help the Reclaimer, than i am in How he did it, because story wise it is a big deal IMHO. MB's treachery is a major, if not the nail in the Forerunner Empire's coffin. His sole purpose was to help defeat the Flood, but then he changed sides (AFAIK an unprecedented case?) only to make up his mind again, when he is (seemingly) defeated.
that behavior is suspicious in my book and i wouldn't let him get away with no better explanation than "i had a couple of bad eons, but now i'm on your team again".
The Terminals does tell us of these events, BUT there are segments in them that doesn't provide the full details that are needed.

The Logical assumption after being defeated by OB, is that the Forerunners/A.I. that were with the Didact, wiped the corrupted MB and restored his previous self. Also adding Dax's theory to this gives a clearer view of How and Why Mendicant came to be an Aid to the Chief on the Ark.

If (when) we start encountering Flood in Halo 5/6
/4?!
do you think we'll actually have a massive advantage this time around because of all the Promethean weapons?

Fuchsdh

"Scared" never came into it. Offensive Bias was likely "immune" to the same corruption that Mendicant fell prey to. Offensive didn't really care about Forerunners, or the rules of war, he was there to stop the Flood and crush MB. And so he did. He left a shard of MB as essentially a powerless token. I'm sure in that limited capacity and thousands of years Bias had a chance to think about what he'd done under the Gravemind's influence and possibly achieve stability.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Chief + MB vs. Didact + Cortana as a possibility?

Didact was an enemy of ancient humans- because they were going against the mantle, not because they were human

Humans of present day Halo don't seem to be against the mantle, and their #1 enemy is the flood

I just don't see didact being an enemy to humans :/

As a forerunner- why would he call master chief a reclaimer if he was an enemy- when reclaimer basically states we are the torch bearers after forerunners

MB's treachery is a major, if not the nail in the Forerunner Empire's coffin. His sole purpose was to help defeat the Flood, but then he changed sides (AFAIK an unprecedented case?) only to make up his mind again, when he is (seemingly) defeated.
I think I'm going to stop here. For one, I think we're beginning to go around in circles, and secondly, because I'm very confused about what you're asking.

You say your point is this
before this argument get's out of hand, i'll try to make myself clear: i'm more interested in Why MB decided to help the Reclaimer, than i am in How he did it, because story wise it is a big deal IMHO.
when you originally said this.
pretty sure we'll know by the end of the trilogy, should fit nicely into H4 though. but i'm more interested in WHY he did it. why this change of mind?

Why he changed his mind and why he decided to help the Master Chief are two different, though similar in some respects, questions. I have no idea which you want me to focus on or what you want to discuss.

I don't know where you got that information about Offensive Bias, but here's the last we heard of him:
[00:H 03:M 00:S] Mendicant was able to postpone its inevitable annihilation for [106:S] with its attempt to flee. But the last of its core vessels hangs before me now; crippled and defeated but still sensate. I could spare it; carve out what is left of its [personality construct array] and deliver it to [Installation Zero] for study.

But I doubt it would have extended the same courtesy to me.
No signs about being scared about corruption.

I'm not saying you're wrong about something coming along to help change his mind. I am not precluding that. As I said before, a lot can happen in 100,000 years. What I am saying, however, is that I don't think it's unreasonable to think he came to that conclusion on his own because AIs in the Halo universe don't rely entirely on logic, the Gravemind is able to exert some sort of weird influence on AIs (see Cortana), the events that transpired because he made the decision to switch sides – even some events that may have helped him reevaluate his position – and his assumed prolonged isolation. We don't know what immediately happens to him or Offensive Bias right after the rings fired. We will probably find out in Greg Bear's third book.

It's not a "mood swing" if it happens over thousands of years.
Do we know if Mendicant Bias was created like the Monitors?
I don't claim to know. I was just making a point that the AIs in Halo rely on more than logic because of their origins.

Karl2177

Didact was an enemy of ancient humans- because they were going against the mantle, not because they were human

Humans of present day Halo don't seem to be against the mantle, and their #1 enemy is the flood

Greg Bear on Silentium characters:
2 different Didacts; Ur-Didact and the Bornstellar Didact. We've seen 2 different colored Prometheans, so it's not ruled out that one of the two could be against humanity.

If (when) we start encountering Flood in Halo 5/6
/4?!
do you think we'll actually have a massive advantage this time around because of all the Promethean weapons?
Frankie posted that we will not fight the Flood in Halo 4. But after the Flood was a strong story aspect of the Forerunner Books and the Anniversary Terminals, we will hear about the Flood in Halo 4. I am sure.

The Maw Terminal, later parts of Primordium and the E3 presentation of Halo4 heavily suggests that the Didact will be an enemy in Halo 4.

kylej

Banned
Short version: I'm increasingly curious where people within HaloGAF stand on the idea that developers owe them anything, least of all an explanation. I think it's pretty clear that we're more towards the "we make the game, at least the multiplayer portion of it, by the very act of our purchasing and playing it, so tell us how you are going to curate it and cater to us", and I think the good faith of people like Frankie and David helps to smooth over the fact that Microsoft, and probably plenty of people within 343, feel strongly that the license is theirs, the game is theirs, and our 'rights' as a receptive community extend only as far as the point of sale; every moment of community interaction is only and solely another kind of marketing.

Of course they do. In the same way that a multiplayer game does not "exist" if people don't play it, 343 does not exist if consumers don't purchase Halo products. It's easy to debate both sides from an abstract perspective (academia is riddled with this), but there is clearly a superior option -- from a multiplayer perspective -- between the ivory tower take on development and development that caters to the fanbase, all you have to do is look at your examples. Valve, Blizzard, League of Legends, all these entities are tremendously successful. There is no net benefit to obfuscation except when obfuscation itself is a tactic for engaging the community (ARGs, etc).

I think the key issue is the difference between good artistic sensibility and smart business sense. Games do not have to be crowd-sourced, there should be a vision among the people creating the game. However, when you put someone full-time on your payroll to be a "Community Manager", there are expectations that go along with that. Microsoft hasn't simply failed at community engagement, they have failed at basic marketing with Halo 4. When you say 343 operates at the "maximum" level of community interaction, that's not so much laudatory as it is depressingly representative of the state of the industry. For a collective that pats itself on the back for being an active consumer experience rather than the passive enjoyment of music or movies, there should be no surprise when communities desire an equitable stake in development.

senador

Banned

The first is to what extent, if any, 343 owe us any sort of explanation or justification of their choices. From the point of view of a developer, there's often a nice dovetail in explaining and marketing, right? In many ways any sort of reveal of a feature or game mechanics is also a happy advertisement for the game, which serves to grow sales. In people like Frankie or David, of course, we are fortunate to have authentic fans who authentically enjoy these games and authentically enjoy talking about them -- which is good for all stakeholders, including Frankie and David -- but is this something they are actually obliged to do for their community? If you put their involvement along a spectrum with other developers, they're pretty far toward 'maximum' already. Now, you can draw a distinction between their involvement here and what they're allowed to say (in accordance with the dictates of Microsoft), and demand that the latter be more expansive, but that's trying to upend the traditional marketing paradigm for a franchise like this, for a product like this.

It's interesting that you mentioned League of Legends, because that's an indie-ish PC success, and that's a platform where these sort of demands are more expected and more accommodated than the traditionally closed console space. That's changing as consoles become more PC-like, of course, but it's still a slow transition under a goliath and highly protective platform-holder like Microsoft.

I think with LoL, or Starcraft, there's also a stronger understanding on the part of all stakeholders that these are games in a very classical sense -- they have rules that need to be available and transparent to players, and these are even shaped by those players because as games depend on players for their very existence. On this view, held by some developers and publishers (the biggest of whom would be Valve and Blizzard), multiplayer videogames are constituted by the people who play them; there would literally be no game if the game were not played. Others still hold to a very traditional understanding: they create the game in an ivory development tower, they disseminate said game to an audience that should feel lucky to receive it, and then they walk away and count the cash. Now, there's obviously a tension and a balance between these views, and it shifts back and forth across time and across companies and across products, but the way these issues are being hashed out right now within the Halo community -- especially in the aftermath of Reach, which is widely understood, at least among the 'hardcore', to have been a 'failure' in some respects -- is fascinating to me.

What up Shake? I like your opinions.

I think you are spot on for the most part. I do, however, think it'd be beneficial/nice/give closure for 343 to discusses some changes as they go (as I am sure they will). Reach's matchmaking has been left in an odd jumbled state. Its not fair to place the blame on 343 as it wasn't there game and their full attention isn't on it, but it does kind of making you wonder what will happen with 4's matchmaking. We will see before too long, I just hope they are just as proactive as they are reactive and keep things tight and fast.

Do they owe us anything? Of course not. It would make our experience better though to know a bit more. *shrugs*

----------

Can someone link me to the latest HaloGAF Radio show? Its not on iTunes yet, and not on http://halogaf.com. Leave on a road trip soon, would be nice to have. Thanks!

Well, I unsurprisingly had a multi-quote going, but then Gaf went down for me and I lost it. :lol

Anyways, to sum up:

I avoided this thread yesterday after some stupidity, but all seems to be better now.

Congrats mastrbiggy for raising nearly $1000! That really is an awesome thing you did.

Someone linked a pic of MC with a crawler on a leash..and it was awesome. ( Speaking of Crawlers, Im still bummed they didn't call them Pawns... That naming structure feels much more 'Halo')

And uh... Well I forget the rest, so thats it I suppose? Oh, well I had fun playing Boardwalk while playing BTB, and I usually hate that map so that was cool. It seemed to play much better with more players and the DMR starts, it honestly felt like a new map. And uh, thats it I think.

Someone linked a pic of MC with a crawler on a leash..and it was awesome. ( Speaking of Crawlers, Im still bummed they didn't call them Pawns... That naming structure feels much more 'Halo')

that's what i'm going to continue to call them. i don't care what anyone says. henceforth crawlers shall be known as pawns, and watchers shall be known as bishops. so it be said, so it shall be.

wonder what rooks will look like ;)

GhaleonEB

They fixed it in Firefight by deleting Firefight.

But seriously, for the good of cooperative matchmaking, hopefully there's idle booting or idle kickvoting.
Yup. I'd be happy with Bungie's draconian rank resets in the mix as well to discourage it from happening in the first place. (The guy in the game I linked was rubber banding, standing in place, looking up, spinning.)

The base game looks fun. Everything else...not so much.
I've been holding off on saying too much until I (hopefully) play it at PAX, but this is my worry about multiplayer.

Whether or not every change will work out, just be excited to try it all. :)
Oh, I am. :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
Whether or not every change will work out, just be excited to try it all. :)
I am! At this point, I'd call myself cautiously optimistic for Halo 4 multiplayer. Campaign/SpOps look incredible.
Here's the thing with biggy's ban, though: when I run across people on XBL who've been mute-banned, I see the little circle-with-the-slash next to their name - and I can choose to manually unmute them. mastrbiggy has no such symbol next to his name - and no way to manually un-mute him. When he logs on with that gamertag, it looks to other players like he doesn't have a mic plugged in at all. (And it's clearly not a hardware issue, because if he logs out of that gamertag and into his temp tag, everything works fine.)

biggy - I'm wondering if you didn't somehow set your audio prefs to ban YOURSELF, or something... or turn on family restrictions, or SOMETHING. Possible?

I wish someone from 343 would weigh in on what might be causing biggy's issue - and whether there's any solution to the problem?
I knew someone who had a similar problem. He couldn't talk to me or anyone else. Something had messed up with his privacy settings, I think. I'd suggest biggy check all his account settings, maybe something's there.
Anyone else notice a lot of people are going back and playing Halo 3? Kinda funky movement going on.

I'll take a laggy match on Heretic over a lagless clusterfuck on Sword Base 11 times out of 10.

this multiquote thing's kind of handy.

Akai__

you wrote that text with mobile ? damn haha got it, I was at work just read it couldn't answer, but I already say thanks.
Will write an answer on my Laptop.

I was in the U-Bahn (subway/metro whatever), when I wrote this. Was heading to work.

I'm satisfied that you got it. I don't know if I would write it that detailed again. :p

Ramirez

If the netcode was up to par with Reach (or hell, the BR was hitscan), I'd still play it. It's simply a better game to me, and the maps are leagues better than what's in Reach...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Question: What is the protocol on LTTP threads?

I just finished Mass Effect 3 last night, and I'd like to make a LTTP thread on it. Is it too soon? I think I've seen lttp threads sprout up only a few months after release.

EvB

Question: What is the protocol on LTTP threads?

I just finished Mass Effect 3 last night, and I'd like to make a LTTP thread on it. Is it too soon? I think I've seen lttp threads sprout up only a few months after release.

Is LTTP short for Link to the Past of Late to the Party?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I am! At this point, I'd call myself cautiously optimistic for Halo 4 multiplayer. Campaign/SpOps look incredible.

I knew someone who had a similar problem. He couldn't talk to me or anyone else. Something had messed up with his privacy settings, I think. I'd suggest biggy check all his account settings, maybe something's there.

I'll take a laggy match on Heretic over a lagless clusterfuck on Sword Base 11 times out of 10.

this multiquote thing's kind of handy.

Lol no shit. You're not allowed to take the best map in one game and compare it to the worst in another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom