• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Mic died. Ggs all.

I'll check tomorrow. Thanks.

No problem. :)

Too bad it's not accurate... :(

Either way last I checked I was like 90% avoided.

Yeah, I know, that's why it's funny. I have never seen people, which have prefered a player. It's all about avoiding them... And most of them are not giving feedback at all. How should they, nobody wants to waste their time and do such uninmportant things.

Oddly enough I wasn't even being sarcastic, based on what you were asking for.

Look at what you're using as the base for your current evaluation of 343's ability to manage playlists. A game developed by Bungie, and halfway through it's lifespan transferred over to another developer, and adding a title update on top of it to incorporate a whole other game to intertwine with the multiplayer population. I'm not fellating 343 by any means, but this is a really shitty scenario to set standards for, especially for their first fullblown Halo game. If there were any grounds to complain about transparency, aim it towards the way they're marketing the game compared to Bungie, as has been displayed in this thread by the admiration shown for Bungie's well-produced ViDocs and Weekly Update teasers. Not what they haven't done for their first Halo game's matchmaking.
Gah, cursed phone deleted my response.

Basically, if they put their name to it, it's evaluateable in book. And my whole point is, show us what's different to Reach so we can understand and be confident that past mistakes won't be repeated. Matchmaking just stands out as an unmentioned area when they've hit pretty much every other tent pole :) (which is why I suggested PAX as a good place to talk about it, a bit like how Shishka did that (and Forge) for Reach at CC in 2010.

Overdoziz

Banned
Gah, cursed phone deleted my response.

Basically, if they put their name to it, it's evaluateable in book. And my whole point is, show us what's different to Reach so we can understand and be confident that past mistakes won't be repeated. Matchmaking just stands out as an unmentioned area when they've hit pretty much every other tent pole :) (which is why I suggested PAX as a good place to talk about it, a bit like how Shishka did that (and Forge) for Reach at CC in 2010.
I'm still holding onto this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38396318&postcount=12590

I'm sure it will come in handy.

Blueblur1

Not hopping on tonight guys. Just get home from work to find out my Grandma (who I'm very close to) had her cancer take a turn for the worse. She's got 2 weeks left. On top of that my pitching shoulder began bothering me severely for the first time since recovery during my bullpen today. Sometimes... I just wonder...
Sorry to hear about your grandma, man.

pretty sure we'll know by the end of the trilogy, should fit nicely into H4 though. but i'm more interested in WHY he did it. why this change of mind?
He had over 100,000 years to think about what happened. I think it's just a case of him realizing he was wrong to do what he did. He realized the Gravemind manipulated him, and he wanted to make up for what he had done.
The base game looks fun. Everything else...not so much.
Whether or not every change will work out, just be excited to try it all. :)

Caja 117

Hey, are you still voice banned? You probably checked everything allready, but if not: Does it only appear in Reach? Have you checked your voice setting in Reach? Once I turned off my Xbox while Reach was saving and my settings were all on default.

I consider voice ban to be another stupid feature (and a broken one for that matter)created by bungie and i hope it is taken off in Halo 4.

How does one get voice banned? By looking at how many people have muted you over time?

Because whenever I'm playing alone I just mute everyone in the pre-game lobby.

Voice bans and quitter bans are wonderful features. They could use some tweaks, I'm sure, but fuck quitters and obnoxious mic users.

Do you ever unmute people who are voice banned? Blaring music, awful Kinect setups, ignoramuses, racists. It's just a shame that MLG kids can't be troubled to go team and party.

kylej

Banned
I think all new the stuff in Halo 4 is complimentary to the games core mechanics. The abilities in Reach distract from base Halo and ruin the flow of combat, a feeling a never had when playing Halo 4.

I'm not opposed to stripped down Halo 4, but I really like all the new changes. I especially like the weapon variety and how useful everyone weapon is, nothing feels utterly useless. It makes playing game all the more interesting.

Did you also enjoy being invited to a pre-release VIP Halo 4 party with the developers?

Caja 117

How does one get voice banned? By looking at how many people have muted you over time?

Yeah, the problem with this ban is that how it is made: once you get it, it doesn't go away.

Voice bans and quitter bans are wonderful features. They could use some tweaks, I'm sure, but fuck quitters and obnoxious mic users..

The thing is that any mute is counted towards the ban, for example every MLG pro and GB player is mute banned because you have to mute the other team so you dont hear them while you are playing, so here you are not muting because the guy is annoying, you are muting for sake of playing.

Besides is not as if manually muting someone is rocket science.

raindoc

He had over 100,000 years to think about what happened. I think it's just a case of him realizing he was wrong to do what he did. He realized the Gravemind manipulated him, and he wanted to make up for what he had done.

the thing is: i don't think an AI would need that much time to make up his mind or even second guess his choices - as an AI i expect him to follow logic, to calculate all his decisions and once he made his choice, i don't think he would have second thoughts... unless new data is presented/the presets are changed.

I'm curious to know what type of pjs Heckfu sports.

I was thinking something along the lines of...
sexy-pjs-girls.jpg
Woke up to this. Speechless...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Voice bans and quitter bans are wonderful features. They could use some tweaks, I'm sure, but fuck quitters and obnoxious mic users.

Do you ever unmute people who are voice banned? Blaring music, awful Kinect setups, ignoramuses, racists. It's just a shame that MLG kids can't be troubled to go team and party.

Muting and unmuting is so quick, easy and fun.

the thing is: i don't think an AI would need that much time to make up his mind or even second guess his choices - as an AI i expect him to follow logic, to calculate all his decisions and once he made his choice, i don't think he would have second thoughts... unless new data is presented/the presets are changed.
No. An AI can make mistakes too. If the Gravemind influenced him too much that he made wrong assumption, then it can be wrong. The Gravemind could have given him wrong information. On these based information, Mendicant Bias calculated that it was better for the Forerunner to unify with the Flood. Afterwards when MB had processed its deeds again, he discovered that all the stuff he had done were wrong, cruel for his old masters. Then he wanted atonement and helped the Chief.

The thing is that any mute is counted towards the ban, for example every MLG pro and GB player is mute banned because you have to mute the other team so you dont hear them while you are playing, so here you are not muting because the guy is annoying, you are muting for sake of playing.

Besides is not as if manually muting someone is rocket science.
I'm confused about what you're saying. Isn't the purpose of muting the other team to make it so they can't hear you and your team? That's why they put in the "TEAM AND PARTY" voice option. And I don't think that each instance of muting someone counts towards the ban, only aggregate mutes counted at one per unique user. I would think that if you muted someone and then un-muted them before separating, it would not count against them.

I'm particularly confused by your last line. Are you saying that manually muting one player at a time, team after team, is so easy, it's not worth turning on a feature that gives you the same results with a single button press for all time? Okay, if it is that easy, then you shouldn't have a problem un-muting each other at the end of a match.

I think it would have been appropriate for Bungie to turn off cross-team chat in the MLG list, given the way it has turned out.

Question: Will setting your voice options to TEAM AND PARTY make it so opposing players cannot mute you and spam you out for a mute ban in MLG list?

It's not that it took him 100,000 years to make up his mind – he could have changed his mind in 1,000 – but it's not like he was in a position to do anything for those 100,000 years.

Also, I think your expectation of AIs in Halo is wrong. From the beginning, there's been a biological component to AIs, that of mapping human brain patterns for human AIs and (Primordium spoilers)
turning consciousnesses into an AIs
. They're not simply logic-based computers. Cortana has emotions – she took revenge on Ackerson in the first book.

Caja 117

I'm confused about what you're saying. Isn't the purpose of muting the other team to make it so they can't hear you and your team? That's why they put in the "TEAM AND PARTY" voice option.

More than anything its a habit of just quickly muting the whole other team, besides, In custom games the whole 8 players are in a party regardless if you are on a different team. so you are going to hear them either way if they are not muted.

And I don't think that each instance of muting someone counts towards the ban, only aggregate mutes counted at one per unique user. I would think that if you muted someone and then un-muted them before separating, it would not count against them.

I'm not sure how it works, but regardless, it doesn't take that many mutes to get a Ban and in a single custom you have 4 players muting you, if you played 4 different teams in one day, those are 16 different mute.

Louis Wu

Here's the thing with biggy's ban, though: when I run across people on XBL who've been mute-banned, I see the little circle-with-the-slash next to their name - and I can choose to manually unmute them. mastrbiggy has no such symbol next to his name - and no way to manually un-mute him. When he logs on with that gamertag, it looks to other players like he doesn't have a mic plugged in at all. (And it's clearly not a hardware issue, because if he logs out of that gamertag and into his temp tag, everything works fine.)

biggy - I'm wondering if you didn't somehow set your audio prefs to ban YOURSELF, or something... or turn on family restrictions, or SOMETHING. Possible?

I wish someone from 343 would weigh in on what might be causing biggy's issue - and whether there's any solution to the problem?

Caja 117

Here's the thing with biggy's ban, though: when I run across people on XBL who've been mute-banned, I see the little circle-with-the-slash next to their name - and I can choose to manually unmute them. mastrbiggy has no such symbol next to his name - and no way to manually un-mute him. When he logs on with that gamertag, it looks to other players like he doesn't have a mic plugged in at all. (And it's clearly not a hardware issue, because if he logs out of that gamertag and into his temp tag, everything works fine.)

biggy - I'm wondering if you didn't somehow set your audio prefs to ban YOURSELF, or something... or turn on family restrictions, or SOMETHING. Possible?

I wish someone from 343 would weigh in on what might be causing biggy's issue - and whether there's any solution to the problem?

Interesting, can he party chat? because there is a mute matchmaking voice in Halo Reach Options.

raindoc

No. An AI can make mistakes too. If the Gravemind influenced him too much that he made wrong assumption, then it can be wrong. The Gravemind could have given him wrong information. On these based information, Mendicant Bias calculated that it was better for the Forerunner to unify with the Flood. Afterwards when MB had processed its deeds again, he discovered that all the stuff he had done were wrong, cruel for his old masters. Then he wanted atonement and helped the Chief.

that's what i wrote: thing's have changed. either new info or old info proved to be wrong. no matter what, the premises must have changed.

Also, I think your expectation of AIs in Halo is wrong. From the beginning, there's been a biological component to AIs, that of mapping human brain patterns for human AIs and (Primordium spoilers)
. They're not simply logic-based computers. Cortana has emotions – she took revenge on Ackerson in the first book.

yes they have emotions and they can make mistakes, BUT: they're also computer enough that the same set of data should not lead to two different outcomes/decisions. IIRC it took years for the Flood to turn MB? can we agree that it wasn't an emotional decision then, but based on a long series of arguments. if we further can agree that regret (not the prophet ;) ) & the search for atonement isn't a symptom of rampancy, i'd say it is most likely that MB got the variables of his calculation wrong and discovered that only after he had been defeated...

Agreed with this. After being defeated by offensive bias, he was captured and became a shard of his former self. Contained within the key ship unable to respond after the disconnection in High Charity, and later being reconnected on The Ark. Since then, his existence wasn't clarified of the outcome, but if he did escaped then it would make a good plot twist after Halo 4 going unto 5-6.

what outcome? MB knew that the halo array had been fired, it happened in the middle of his battle against OB and of course he remembers being defeated. he knows about the outcome of the flood-forerunner war and that outcome might be the reason for his 2nd turn. maybe the Flood made predictions/promises they couldn't keep, leading MB to re-evaluate things?
or: maybe he didn't turn at all? we don't know what happened or will happen on requiem, isn't it possible that MB has a habit of betraying the same master twice, for example by sending the Reclaimer to Requiem - containing the ancient evil - not to fight, but to unleash it?
lot's of possible explanations, but a spontaneous change of mind is not one of them, IMHO.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i've been playing lots of Reach on my downtime til grad school starts in September.

i'm "jon bones" on xbl so if you see me around, say hello

Talents

Banned
Dont be hating son.

H3 > Reach.

I think I'll be sticking on that till 4 hit.

Also GG, also that was the messiest CTF game ever!

(think I went +200 in 6 games)

I may have to play some social in the hopes of getting matched against you so I can show you people don't always go + >:)

It's not that it took him 100,000 years to make up his mind – he could have changed his mind in 1,000 – but it's not like he was in a position to do anything for those 100,000 years.

Agreed with this. After being defeated by offensive bias, he was captured and became a shard of his former self. Contained within the key ship unable to respond after the disconnection in High Charity, and later being reconnected on The Ark. Since then, his existence wasn't clarified of the outcome, but if he did escaped then it would make a good plot twist after Halo 4 going unto 5-6.

yes they have emotions and they can make mistakes, BUT: they're also computer enough that the same set of data should not lead to two different outcomes/decisions. IIRC it took years for the Flood to turn MB? can we agree that it wasn't an emotional decision then, but based on a long series of arguments. if we further can agree that regret (not the prophet ;) ) & the search for atonement isn't a symptom of rampancy, i'd say it is most likely that MB got the variables of his calculation wrong and discovered that only after he had been defeated...
I think you're not including certain events – not intentionally – and this is why you're coming to the conclusion you are. It seems you're only including the events surrounding Mendicant Bias up until the point he switched sides to the Gravemind. Remember: He was defeated by Offensive Bias, and it's entirely possible he had some interaction with his AI opponent after he was captured. So after he was defeated, in addition to whatever events he witnessed that were a direct result of his decision – so, in your thinking, "new sets of data" – he reevaluated everything. He looked at the consequences of his actions, and thus my original point:

willow ve

Too bad it's not accurate... :(

Either way last I checked I was like 90% avoided.

Yeah. The favored/avoid is skewed due to incorrect language in the description. It reads something like "x% of players either favorited you or didn't vote. X% avoided you..."

The reality behind the system is that it only tallies the people who actually took the time to vote positive of negative. So out of all the people who vote x% want you on their team and x% got mad at you for dumping on them, trolling, or not playing the objective etc.

Personally I avoid all full parties of inheritors. Helps you never to get matched with them again.

I'm not saying that the BR shouldn't be a 4sk, nor did I ever say that. I just wanted to bring up that I feel it is very unlikely that it will happen. They are making tuning adjustments, those will almost certainly come from changes with other traits to the weapons, not changing shots to kill.
Why are you yelling at me? So you think they won't change the BR; I hope they do, but I think I agree with you, if nerfing the carbine is anything to go by. I'm curious though, what other changes could they make to it before release other than rate of fire or shots to kill?

m23

I've been playing Halo 3 the last few months, yeah the connection is bad at times but usually I get good matches. The thing is its much, much more fun for me. I don't feel like stopping after one game like I do with Reach, I have that same feeling like I do when I used to play back then which was "just one more game" and end up playing another 5 matches.

I mean Reach is fun at times, usually when I have a full party to play with, otherwise for me its unplayable. Halo 3 all the way, and hopefully Halo 4 can bring back the "just one more game" feeling.

Akai__

Well this changes everything. It must be something wrong with the preferences.

Good, that there are settings in Halo to mute all on the opponent team or to mute everybody. I don't want to listen to some people. My ears are bleeding, if I here 12 years old kids swearing and singing.

People in MLG are welcome, cause some of them are giving callouts.
5% of them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom