• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well personally I really want halo to come back in a big way through 4. To my circle of friends reach was a massive dissapointment and now ALL of my friends play cod it's so annoying because I am "influenced" to play it along with them.

Why are people so concerned about Halo beating CoD? Of course, it would be great for Halo 4, to get it's 1st place again, but I find it silly, to compare it every time to CoD...

The answer is pretty obvious. Halo was the King of Online gaming on consoles before Call of Duty came along, Call of Duty dethroned halo and cannibalized a large segment of not only its player base but virtually every other online title out there.

It was regarded as the best shooter of its generation for a large time and now Call of Duty is regarded in that manner by many its kind of like Apollo Creed Vs Rocky.

"Core" Gamers want to see call of duty dethroned and many hold the ideal that if any title could do it it would be Halo because of its history)

Its likely not going to happen until some large cross platform title comes along that does CoD better than CoD and then we are going to see the situation mirrored with whatever Game X is, Battlefield stands a very good chance but the length of a game and the lack of screen candy player rewards hinder it to some degree.

Akai__

The answer is pretty obvious. Halo was the King of Online gaming on consoles before Call of Duty came along, Call of Duty dethroned halo and cannibalized a large segment of not only its player base but virtually every other online title out there.

It was regarded as the best shooter of its generation for a large time and now Call of Duty is regarded in that manner by many its kind of like Apollo Creed Vs Rocky.

"Core" Gamers want to see call of duty dethroned and many hold the ideal that if any title could do it it would be Halo because of its history)

Its likely not going to happen until some large cross platform title comes along that does CoD better than CoD and then we are going to see the situation mirrored with whatever Game X is, Battlefield stands a very good chance but the length of a game and the lack of screen candy player rewards hinder it to some degree.

I just found the whole Halo vs. CoD thing silly. CoD is playable on all platforms and has because of this a larger fanbase then Halo. Not the only reason, but a pretty big one.

I don't hate CoD, I used to play it and I had a good time but I got bored. Maybe I would still play it, if there isn't every year a new CoD game.

And your Game X could maybe be Bungies next game, Destiny.

I wouldn't have anything against Halo 4 or Destiny to be the King of online Gaming, hell I would be happy, but I don't mind it, if CoD does it again, because I don't care much about it. The game that I'm playing, is my personal King and others have this feeling, too.

daedalius

Went into a 'not-under-level-10' Crysis 2 game earlier, literally everyone was stealth running around the map the entire game.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Frankie, please don't let people abuse camo in H4 like they do in that game.

Then I went and played Space Marine, where I get to start with the equivalent of a BR/DMR every game; and also get to play as a giant Space Marine.

I think I'll listen to the rest of halogaf podcast while I cook dinner.

Went into a 'not-under-level-10' Crysis 2 game earlier, literally everyone was stealth running around the map the entire game.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Frankie, please don't let people abuse camo in H4 like they do in that game.

I'm curious as to how they're going to balance Camo because in Reach it seems like they've done everything possible to balance Camo as an AA, but it still came up short. Why can't Camo just go back to being an overpowered powerup like OS, SB, and DB?

Everything possible? LMAO.

"seems like" - How else would you balance something that turns you completely invisible other than everything Reach did without making Camo useless/overpowered?

Camo is supposed to be OP. That was the point of it.. Turning it into an AA in Reach was like turning the OS into Armor Lock... look how great both of those turned out.

Constructive posts are constructive.

Havok

"seems like" - How else would you balance something that turns you completely invisible other than everything Reach did without making Camo useless/overpowered?
Have firing drain the meter, have the meter drain at the same rate regardless of movement speed instead of the current camp-promoting mechanic, remove the radar jamming effect (aside from screwing up teammate's radars due to the bug that was never fixed, I maintain that this aids the camo user more than it hurts them), replacing it with the camo user constantly flashing on and off the radar regardless of movement speed. Balance that by giving them full camo when running, with an overall shorter meter.

The TU's changes to Camo didn't stop the problems that Camo caused most - for example: Hemmorhage camouflaged snipers. There were many, many other ways to strike a balance there than very slightly increasing the rate at which the meter drained. I'm not going to say that any of those things I listed are the right choices, but there are alternatives to what they did.

They've talked before about how constrained they were with the TU on a resource and technical level before, and it shows in things like the AL/Camo changes. If you mean Bungie's initial design for Camo...well, I think they kind of went off the rails in a few places.

Dat mute button.

In PGL: select name, hit mute.
In game: Back, select name, X.

TOO HARD. TOO HARD. TOO HARD.

Besides, they make it more fun. Some of you have such thin skin for these things.
I don't mind talking to everyone and people talking shit either, but there are plenty of gamers on Xbox Live that want nothing to do with that. They shouldn't be restricted simply because you and I enjoy it.

senador

Banned
Went "camping" this weekend, stayed in a cabin. Went mountain biking yesterday and got stuck in a terrible thunderstorm. Wife and I felt electricity in our fingers, reacted quickly and got the eff down. We were soaked and freezing and with the threat of lightening we decided to ditch our bikes and move along under trees instead of through a big clearing. Made it to a lone family camping and asked for a ride to our cabin. We went back for the bikes later. Pretty terrifying experience. We were making sure we knew how to do CPR and stuff and we were pretty sure something was going to happen. Probably one of the main times in life I wasn't sure everything was going to turn our alright, but luckily it did. Phew.

----------
this makes me want to do it even more

$100 to someone who writes a script that does this. I can paypal.

If the API was still up, this would probably be somewhat possible, and I could possibly do it. It would take me way longer than $100 worth of work though. ;) Perhaps if they put out an API for Halo 4 we could try it.

How would you do this though? Hypothetically: get Juices games, check if won, check how many won by, display games that were won by +40?

----------

A40/A50 talk? Anyone tried the 50s yet? I have heard they are great. Sound just like A40s but with more bass? That would be stellar. I have a set of 40s that are barely used that I want to sell in order to buy the 50s. Thinking somewhere between $200-250USD.

Overdoziz

Banned
Camo as an AA is dumb no matter how you balance it. It doesn't add anything to the game except more people who camp and people who abuse it while sniping. Delete that shit.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Camo as an AA is dumb no matter how you balance it. It doesn't add anything to the game except more people who camp and people who abuse it while sniping. Delete that shit.
Ding ding ding.

It cannot be balanced, no matter how hard you try. Being invisible for any amount of time is overpowered.

replacing it with the camo user constantly flashing on and off the radar regardless of movement speed

WAY better idea than the radar jam! (which I agree helps the Camo user more than hurts the enemy lol)

The other stuff though, totally valid points.. the only thing is that AA's are reusable. Being able to turn completely invisible whenever you want for any duration of time is just overpowered. I'm sure Bungie knew this when making Camo an AA, which is why I think they decided to make it so that you gradually become more visible the faster you walk.

Maybe they should even do what they did to AL with the HLS and OS. They removed AL, brought back OS in the spotlight once again and created a much more balanced HLS. Perhaps they should bring back the weak Camo as an AA (that's if they really want to keep it as an AA) and also incorporate the classic overpowered Camo as a powerup?

Ding ding ding.

It cannot be balanced, no matter how hard you try. Being invisible for any amount of time is overpowered.
What if having it equipped meant having lower health/shield? If the game wants to pretend it's giving you classes it might as well go all the way and incorporate actual downsides to offset what the ability allows.

cocamola

Banned
What if having it equipped meant having lower health/shield? If the game wants to pretend it's giving you classes it might as well go all the way and incorporate actual downsides to offset what the ability allows.

Still doesn't eliminate the "camping" factor. Actually giving someone less health probably re-enforces it.

Also Camo/Sniper can just go fuck right off.

Fracas

#fuckonami
That'd be a step in the right direction, but it won't affect the worst part of camo being available (camping with instakill power weapons). Only thing I'd truly be happy with is if a guy in camo did less damage.

A guy having 1/2 shields won't matter when he's behind a corner with a shotgun :(

Geez, just thinking about camo being in the game pisses me off. It's even worse than jetpack.

Unless it's a power up. Like it was in H2-H3.
I'd be down with that. If it's one of the ordinance packages, then I'm okay with that I guess.

This 100%

i5tImEr69QAXc.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If only. Tis too late for Halo 4, unfortunately.

Blueblur1

The easy solution is to just bring back as a power-up. It's eliminated from core game types but a highlight in Infinity Slayer. No more Camo snipers, too. (Well, they'll be way less common.)

Arnie

But then that reduces the gunplay. The game's so fun because it's a serious test of aiming, grenades and melee, a stand off if you will. If a percentage of a player base have less shields and health by default than the rest of us then this balance is destroyed.

TCKaos

What about the people like me, who sneak around and use the general confusion to throw a grenade or land a few opening shots on other players so that my team can more easily dispatch them?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok it's been a while. I'm hopping on Reach to play with you nerds. Gotta redownload the maps first though

But then that reduces the gunplay. The game's so fun because it's a serious test of aiming, grenades and melee, a stand off if you will. If a percentage of a player base have less shields and health by default than the rest of us then this balance is destroyed.
I don't like AAs either but if you're going to give everyone the same baseline set of attributes and then give a bonus ability that is only balanced on the premise that it's not one of the other abilities then you're probably going to end up with absurd synergies like Reach's camo sniping. If they suddenly have less health right off the bat, then even trying to acquire that power weapon combo is going to be far less likely than it normally would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom