• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Are you some kind of vegan wolf?
That sounds like some kind of metal band my friends would be into. I swear, every metal kid I know is vegan, and they're all obsessed with wolves and unicorns and shit. Maybe that's what inspired 343 with the Team Fury and Demon emblems.

Homeboyd

Safe for OT, not community.
Yeah I really have no idea.

How about this?

tumblr_m7mqedAllY1r6jyh1o10_500.gif

tumblr again

To be honest, as has been said, there is no way of balancing a camo AA without altering the core fundamental gameplay significantly. As Over has already pointed out, pick up camo promoted map movement, control, and also a sense of urgency; camo AA promotes almost exactly the opposite.

I understand Bungie made these boneheaded decisions out of a general need to spice the game up, it being their last Halo, a Halo that doesn't bear the weight of being a numbered product, and also out of a desire to change the formula for their swan song, to do something fresh and new after 10 years of creating what we've grown to know as Halo.

That 343 hired the cream of the crop from a design perspective, people who're supposed to love Halo (in reality they probably played Halo CE singleplayer so they can give that generic, wrote quote about the wonder of exploring an alien world), sat them in a room, and they came out with the much maligned Armour Ability system intact speaks wonders for the lack of true revelatory thought demonstrated in Halo 4.

There's no Forge. There's no breakthrough in matchmaking or the way we digest multiplayer. It's Halo gunplay, which is a good start, mixed with everything we already had, a dash of tweaking (dynamic lights in Forge, nice new graphics engine), and a heap of content ripped, and renamed from other successful shooters.

I get Spartan Ops is an interesting idea, and I love the delivery method, but I'd hesitate to call it a huge step forward from what we've seen(Can't talk about things as yet unknown to us). It seems to appear like a single slog through some enemy choke points with a very light and lose objective dangled over the top. Press the switch. Clear the enemies. Reach this checkpoint. Then at the end a Pelican will swoop in and it's mission over. That they're promising a CG cutscene as part of each content update sort of signals to me that this static, story-light experience may be indicative of the overall product, and that the cutscene will be used to stitch together the multiple gameplay mission bites each week.
Agreed. Imo within these 3 ½ years 343 has put into this game Campaign looks breathtaking, MP feels fast with most flaws fixed (if not all, hopefully) from passed Halos, yet we need new info. to be reassured of the playlists, additioanl features, maps, etc. that has not yet made an appearance while we wait before its launch.

Spartan Ops looks fun and new. It has yet to fully amaze the audience towards something worth playing for other than EXP and a Cutscene, it's a big step from Firefight but what else can we expect from it with what we already know so far to still be anticipated?

That sounds like some kind of metal band my friends would be into. I swear, every metal kid I know is vegan, and they're all obsessed with wolves and unicorns and shit. Maybe that's what inspired 343 with the Team Fury and Demon emblems.

That must be a weird kind of metal. Some kind of prog stuff? lol

Tawpgun

I don't mind talking to everyone and people talking shit either, but there are plenty of gamers on Xbox Live that want nothing to do with that. They shouldn't be restricted simply because you and I enjoy it.

Arguement can go both ways. I shouldn't have the social atmosphere of Xbox Live ruined for me because some sensitive crybabies can't find the mute button.

From a few pages ago (still struggling to keep up).

Rank lock was a myth. No one got "locked" at 34 or 48 or 29 etc. That was simply the rank where the player belonged but they simply couldn't accept that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect. Please, give that a quick read.

Done? Good.

Now you see why people think they were "rank locked". They thought they were better than they actually are and thus came up with some sort of excuse as to why their skill level isn't higher. The truth is, they simply weren't good enough to achieve a higher rank.

If rank lock existed, I wouldn't be able to rank up or down after 3,000+ ranked games in Halo 3 but I still can today.

The only "rank lock" that happened was if you never lost games. Ever. When Halo 3 launched, a team of semi pros played something like 350+ games in Team Slayer, never lost and achieved a highest rank of 16.

As for "boosting" and "buying accounts" (which don't affect you anyway) it really was not as bad a problem as people claim. Real cheating methods such as DDoS attacks were a problem but I find it laughable that anyone tries to blame these on skill based ranks. Guess what, they still happen in Reach social.
When we say rank LOCK no one means that you are literally LOCKED to a rank. It basically means that its taking you more than it should to rank up. People can go on a rampage with a new account and get to 50. I can go on that same rampage and only go up 1 level. Then I lose 2-3 games and go down. It was horseshit.

What else are we talking about now.

AA's?

Jetpack ruins maps. There's no way around it. Sure you can build a map that minimizes its impact, but then the jetpack is useless or you pigeonhole yourself to make only maps that the jetpack can't break. Considering jetpack is only tolerable on maybe Zealot... I guess all Halo 4 maps should be indoor environments with low verticality.

HardLight Shield. I don't see a purpose to it at all. It's just a less annoying armor lock.

Camo. Over put it best. You can't balance it. Make it a power up a la OS/Damage boost/Speed Boost.

Thrustpack. Doesn't seem too bad.

Promethean Vision... I have to see how this plays out. But the pros do seem worried its OP.

Holololololgram. lol.

Speculative: Regen shields sounds like a terrible idea. So does Auto-sentry.

You know what a Camo power-up does? It makes people move around quickly so they can do damage before it runs out.

You know what the Camo AA does? It makes people crawl around, camp and sit around with snipers being dumb-asses.

Take your pick.

Doesn't get more direct than this.

From a few pages ago (still struggling to keep up).

Rank lock was a myth. No one got "locked" at 34 or 48 or 29 etc. That was simply the rank where the player belonged but they simply couldn't accept that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect. Please, give that a quick read.

Done? Good.

Now you see why people think they were "rank locked". They thought they were better than they actually are and thus came up with some sort of excuse as to why their skill level isn't higher. The truth is, they simply weren't good enough to achieve a higher rank.

If rank lock existed, I wouldn't be able to rank up or down after 3,000+ ranked games in Halo 3 but I still can today.

The only "rank lock" that happened was if you never lost games. Ever. When Halo 3 launched, a team of semi pros played something like 350+ games in Team Slayer, never lost and achieved a highest rank of 16.

As for "boosting" and "buying accounts" (which don't affect you anyway) it really was not as bad a problem as people claim. Real cheating methods such as DDoS attacks were a problem but I find it laughable that anyone tries to blame these on skill based ranks. Guess what, they still happen in Reach social.

100% agree with the content of this post.

http://i.minus.com/ipk0U6j3nQjUB.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

LMFAO!!!! Quite possibly one of the most badass GIFs I've seen on here..

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bout to play Halo 3 for the first time in over a year. I wonder how it will go lol

Also, to stream or not to stream?

Before I go back to read the last few pages, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the latest HaloGAF podcast. The reading was great with Heckfu and his friend was great too.

Tashi, I also wanted to say that the "Mar" in "Mario" is pronounced as it is in "Mars" not as in "married."

Fuchsdh

I think the perception of rank lock in Halo 3 was compounded by the lack of some sort of visual system to go along with it. In StarCraft II, your trueskill equivalent, MMR, is invisible, but you're awarded points or lose points based on if you win or lose, and how likely you were to do so. That way you have a better barometer for when you might drop a rank or not, e.g. "Oh I lost ten times in a row versus opponents who I was heavily favored to win against".

Arguement can go both ways. I shouldn't have the social atmosphere of Xbox Live ruined for me because some sensitive crybabies can't find the mute button.

Disagree. If someone hates the social atmosphere of talking mad shit/yelling racist stuff the whole time, is that person likely to really interact with people in a lobby with that? Probably not. You can't force people into a social environment that they don't want to participate in.

yesh

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can't it's old man sleepy time.
Go to convenience store.
Buy 2 bottles of 5 hour energy
Ingest 2 bottles of 5 hour energy

Fuck sleep!

edit: oh wait, amazon gold box deals for videogames goes up in 10 minutes. doing that first.

edit: wait, no they don't. derp.

I know that feel bro

http://i.imgur.com/m6G3e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

lmfao ya beat me! Our children's children's children's children shall continue our legacy!

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnVLsTQ23ThcbYm-yiK0I66Wp7Hp2DI-U_FehD_jELNqMw82F5-Q

Does anyone know if there's been word on the next Sparkast?

Korosenai

lmfao ya beat me! Our children's children's children's children shall continue our legacy!

images

I don't understand the reasoning behind a ban that lasts for that long.

I got banned because I was promoting an AATC site (Making fun of an ATC site that a forum user named Bogey was using). I got banned along with some other forum members (Ghost, Drag, Fire Wolf). And only for promoting that site in a couple of posts. And the funny thing is Drag and some other people got unbanned.

edit: This happened back in 07 on the xbox.com forums.

willow ve

You know what a Camo power-up does? It makes people move around quickly so they can do damage before it runs out.

You know what the Camo AA does? It makes people crawl around, camp and sit around with snipers being dumb-asses.

Take your pick.

This deserves to be quoted at the top of almost every page.

Defect

I got banned for asking a question on another account. Apparently everyone's supposed to only use one account. Stupid mods. You can't even talk about how well you did in a match without getting banned. I guess it hurts people's feelings.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was a mod on Xbox.com for a year, some good people over there. Yeah, you may have run ins with some mods that may not see things your way, but most of them are cool and work their ass off. I was a bit more lenient over there, unless you were being horrible.

Now I'm with THQ moderating (part time, contract) for Saints Row, Homefront, and Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom