• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
You know what a Camo power-up does? It makes people move around quickly so they can do damage before it runs out.

You know what the Camo AA does? It makes people crawl around, camp and sit around with snipers being dumb-asses.

Take your pick.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Biggest issue with 1-50 was rank locking. I remember donging my way up to 45, then wanting to chill in social for a bit. Big mistake. I only got as high as 47 I think, couldn't seem to go higher so I stopped caring and chased them gold bars for shits and gigs.

From a few pages ago (still struggling to keep up).

Rank lock was a myth. No one got "locked" at 34 or 48 or 29 etc. That was simply the rank where the player belonged but they simply couldn't accept that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect. Please, give that a quick read.

Done? Good.

Now you see why people think they were "rank locked". They thought they were better than they actually are and thus came up with some sort of excuse as to why their skill level isn't higher. The truth is, they simply weren't good enough to achieve a higher rank.

If rank lock existed, I wouldn't be able to rank up or down after 3,000+ ranked games in Halo 3 but I still can today.

The only "rank lock" that happened was if you never lost games. Ever. When Halo 3 launched, a team of semi pros played something like 350+ games in Team Slayer, never lost and achieved a highest rank of 16.

As for "boosting" and "buying accounts" (which don't affect you anyway) it really was not as bad a problem as people claim. Real cheating methods such as DDoS attacks were a problem but I find it laughable that anyone tries to blame these on skill based ranks. Guess what, they still happen in Reach social.

Aggrotek

From a few pages ago (still struggling to keep up).

Rank lock was a myth. No one got "locked" at 34 or 48 or 29 etc. That was simply the rank where the player belonged but they simply couldn't accept that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect. Please, give that a quick read.

Done? Good.

Now you see why people think they were "rank locked". They thought they were better than they actually are and thus came up with some sort of excuse as to why their skill level isn't higher. The truth is, they simply weren't good enough to achieve a higher rank.

If rank lock existed, I wouldn't be able to rank up or down after 3,000+ ranked games in Halo 3 but I still can today.

The only "rank lock" that happened was if you never lost games. Ever. When Halo 3 launched, a team of semi pros played something like 350+ games in Team Slayer, never lost and achieved a highest rank of 16.

As for "boosting" and "buying accounts" (which don't affect you anyway) it really was not as bad a problem as people claim. Real cheating methods such as DDoS attacks were a problem but I find it laughable that anyone tries to blame these on skill based ranks. Guess what, they still happen in Reach social.

You know, I probably would have taken this seriously if you weren't so fucking uppity about it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You know what a Camo power-up does? It makes people move around quickly so they can do damage before it runs out.

You know what the Camo AA does? It makes people crawl around, camp and sit around with snipers being dumb-asses.

Take your pick.
Exactly.

Arnie

I don't like AAs either but if you're going to give everyone the same baseline set of attributes and then give a bonus ability that is only balanced on the premise that it's not one of the other abilities then you're probably going to end up with absurd synergies like Reach's camo sniping. If they suddenly have less health right off the bat, then even trying to acquire that power weapon combo is going to be far less likely than it normally would be.
To be honest, as has been said, there is no way of balancing a camo AA without altering the core fundamental gameplay significantly. As Over has already pointed out, pick up camo promoted map movement, control, and also a sense of urgency; camo AA promotes almost exactly the opposite.

I understand Bungie made these boneheaded decisions out of a general need to spice the game up, it being their last Halo, a Halo that doesn't bear the weight of being a numbered product, and also out of a desire to change the formula for their swan song, to do something fresh and new after 10 years of creating what we've grown to know as Halo.

That 343 hired the cream of the crop from a design perspective, people who're supposed to love Halo (in reality they probably played Halo CE singleplayer so they can give that generic, wrote quote about the wonder of exploring an alien world), sat them in a room, and they came out with the much maligned Armour Ability system intact speaks wonders for the lack of true revelatory thought demonstrated in Halo 4.

There's no Forge. There's no breakthrough in matchmaking or the way we digest multiplayer. It's Halo gunplay, which is a good start, mixed with everything we already had, a dash of tweaking (dynamic lights in Forge, nice new graphics engine), and a heap of content ripped, and renamed from other successful shooters.

I get Spartan Ops is an interesting idea, and I love the delivery method, but I'd hesitate to call it a huge step forward from what we've seen(Can't talk about things as yet unknown to us). It seems to appear like a single slog through some enemy choke points with a very light and lose objective dangled over the top. Press the switch. Clear the enemies. Reach this checkpoint. Then at the end a Pelican will swoop in and it's mission over. That they're promising a CG cutscene as part of each content update sort of signals to me that this static, story-light experience may be indicative of the overall product, and that the cutscene will be used to stitch together the multiple gameplay mission bites each week.

To be honest, as has been said, there is no way of balancing a camo AA without altering the core fundamental gameplay significantly. As Over has already pointed out, pick up camo promoted map movement, control, and also a sense of urgency; camo AA promotes almost exactly the opposite.

I understand Bungie made these boneheaded decisions out of a general need to spice the game up, it being their last Halo, a Halo that doesn't bear the weight of being a numbered product, and also out of a desire to change the formula for their swan song, to do something fresh and new after 10 years of creating what we've grown to know as Halo.

That 343 hired the cream of the crop from a design perspective, people who're supposed to love Halo (in reality they probably played Halo CE singleplayer so they can give that generic, wrote quote about the wonder of exploring an alien world), sat them in a room, and they came out with the much maligned Armour Ability system intact speaks wonders for the lack of true revelatory thought demonstrated in Halo 4.

There's no Forge. There's no breakthrough in matchmaking or the way we digest multiplayer. It's Halo gunplay, which is a good start, mixed with everything we already had, a dash of tweaking (dynamic lights in Forge, nice new graphics engine), and a heap of content ripped, and renamed from other successful shooters.

I get Spartan Ops is an interesting idea, and I love the delivery method, but I'd hesitate to call it a huge step forward from what we've seen(Can't talk about things as yet unknown to us). It seems to appear like a single slog through some enemy choke points with a very light and lose objective dangled over the top. Press the switch. Clear the enemies. Reach this checkpoint. Then at the end a Pelican will swoop in and it's mission over. That they're promising a CG cutscene as part of each content update sort of signals to me that this static, story-light experience may be indicative of the overall product, and that the cutscene will be used to stitch together the multiple gameplay mission bites each week.
*nod*

I'd want nothing more than a simple return to form of spawning the same and fighting it out from there. Seems like that works best. Even with my little brainstorm of AA downsides would only reinforce team class makeup emphasis, and with randoms that would be even worse than randoms already are.

I think a healthy mix of AA's can really mess another team up. Have one person camo screwing with their radar and they are now in some sort of half freaking out half hunting mode. Have another player start jetpacking. They now have to look for an invisible player, and a player much higher than them vertically. It starts to get a bit much.

Some Adaption soup for you to think about.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think a healthy mix of AA's can really mess another team up. Have one person camo screwing with their radar and they are now in some sort of half freaking out half hunting mode. Have another player start jetpacking. They now have to look for an invisible player, and a player much higher than them vertically. It starts to get a bit much.

Lets not forget shield regen, grenade pickup, thrusters, PV and more. BK bonanza has only just begun.

Lets not forget shield regen, grenade pickup, thrusters, PV and more. BK bonanza has only just begun.
Something that AAs really need that I'm not sure will be solved for 4 is easy to read identification before one is even used. I can see a jetpack on someone in Reach even if they're not using it, but everything else is a gamble until they actually use it.

A Utopian match. Do you think this will ever happen?

I dunno if we keep getting Oddball on Sword Base, do we really need to get H4? Can we go higher? Are we not at the pinnacle of gaming?
Reach_Pinnacle04_map_halo-600x337.jpg

Homeboyd

Sword Base Forge Remake for H4 thanks to all the community forgers.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7a510MKmB1qzfi4n.gif[IMG]

You can check yourself. Oh, NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR PUBLIC.

[spoiler]Yeah, it's tumblr. Deal with it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Oh and stolen from OT[/spoiler]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom