• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

The problem though is that the BR is extremely inconsistent at anything more than like 30 feet.. That leads to incredibly stale gameplay that becomes old too quickly.

I find actually being able to move around a map without getting pinged the moment you show your face to be the opposite of stale.

The problem though is that the shotgun is extremely inconsistent at anything more than like 10 feet.

In what game? I'm guessing Reach? If so, I find the range for the Shotgun to be very good in Reach actually.. I'd say the distance of like the span of the top of a Hemorrhage base which I think is pretty good. No?

I find actually being able to move around a map without getting pinged the moment you show your face to be the opposite of stale.

Maybe our ideas of ranges are different. I'm talking about from say the Shotgun on Avalanche to about the base mancannons. I think that distance you should be able to actively engage in a firefight that wouldn't last like 30 seconds because of how weak a midrange rifle is. If you still disagree, then to each his own :]

willow ve

The problem though is that the BR is extremely inconsistent at anything more than like 30 feet.. That leads to incredibly stale gameplay that becomes old too quickly.

Also, quick question:
--If you spot someone who should be close enough to be killed, but isn't because the BR/other rifle is too weak, are you suggesting that you just leave them alone or go chasing after them? Cat and mouse? Again, I'm talking a distance like from the Shotgun on Avalanche to around the lift of the mancannon.

I thought it was a well known tenet of competitive gameplay to never chase. Maybe I play a different style than the common Halo player, but I see that as a great part of Halo matchmaking. Just because I see you doesn't mean I can kill you (which is not true in most other games like BF3, MW2, etc.) In other games if you can put sights on a person your gun can probably kill them.

Halo has a lot more strategy. Get shot twice, duck around a corner, bounce a frag off the wall in front of you as you turn a corner and immediately double back to face your attacker. This scenario almost NEVER happens in BF3. By the time you realize you're in the cross hairs of an opposing player you're most likely already dead. Halo is the only mainstream shooter where there is a lot of strategy and cat and mouse games that can play out in virtually every encounter.

The BR, with the limits mentioned, actually fostered this gameplay. You had to think about shot placement and range to opponent. The DMR + Sprint combo changed this strategy a lot. Now if you're shot once or twice a player will simply sprint away, recharge shields, and engage from a much greater distance (due to hitscan + 3x zoom).

I agree with this. DMR with hitscan + 3x zoom means a lot of pings from far far away.

GhaleonEB

In what game? I'm guessing Reach? If so, I find the range for the Shotgun to be very good in Reach actually.. I'd say the distance of like the span of the top of a Hemorrhage base which I think is pretty good. No?]

I was just rewording your post and applying it to another weapon. The BR has an intended range, and it operates very well within that range, and not so well outside of it. Just like other weapons.

Put me in the camp that finds the DMR range highly damaging to the game, and the BR range closer to ideal, so as to allow proper map movement and utilization, and also to enable a richer mix of the sandbox to enter combat.

daedalius

Maybe our ideas of ranges are different. I'm talking about from say the Shotgun on Avalanche to about the base mancannons. I think that distance you should be able to actively engage in a firefight that wouldn't last like 30 seconds because of how weak a midrange rifle is. If you still disagree, then to each his own :]

I'd prefer the midrange rifle to be more like the Halo 2 BR. Even it had an effective range. The fact it is a burst weapon balances it in regards to significant ranged combat, where only one or two rounds from your 3 shot burst are connecting. Its enough to make someone take cover, but not kill them.

willow ve

I'd prefer the midrange rifle to be more like the Halo 2 BR. Even it had an effective range. The fact it is a burst weapon balances it in regards to significant ranged combat, where only one or two rounds from your 3 shot burst are connecting. Its enough to make someone take cover, but not kill them.

This type of game mechanic (only 1 or 2 of your bullets connecting) encouraged two things. 1. It encouraged team shooting. 2. It encouraged map movement because you either needed to get closer to kill an enemy or you were constantly running out of ammo so you need to find more.

I thought it was a well known tenet of competitive gameplay to never chase.

Put that in an objective scenario then in which you know the base has a teleporter. Now what? I think you and daed are thinking I'm talking about an extremely far range.. Maybe you started posting that before I edited my post with a proper distance scale?

DMR with hitscan + 3x zoom means a lot of pings from far far away.

I was just rewording your post and applying it to another weapon. The BR has an intended range, and it operates very well within that range, and not so well outside of it. Just like other weapons.

Put me in the camp that finds the DMR range highly damaging to the game, and the BR range closer to ideal, so as to allow proper map movement and utilization, and also to enable a richer mix of the sandbox to enter combat.

Maybe my wording was wrong then or I'm misunderstanding something, but I'm saying there should be some overlap. It all really depends on the ranges, but I don't find the DMR broken because now we can finally have real firefights from more than 30-50ft. away. Imagine how lame big maps would be with the Halo 3 BR? Doesn't anyone remember how incredibly frustrating it was to BR-battle people on Sandtrap because battles took like a minute long and tons of cat/mouse gameplay?

I must've been playing another game if that's the case lol :b

-EDIT-

Yup! Knew we were getting mixed up with the ranges because I agree hahah - The Halo 2 BR had a tighter spread, was hitscan and even outside of its effective range it still wasn't as useless. It had that little overlap that wasn't OP, but also didn't feel very nerfed. Same goes to you willow ve lol

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 3 without group wasn't fun either today.

So I have to finish some games suggestions what I should play first? Help me HaloGaf this are the leftovers:

Mass Effect
Darksiders
God of War 3
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Dynasty Warriors Gundam
Lego Star Wars the complete Saga
Also maybe Halo Anniversary on Legendary.

Halo 3 without group wasn't fun either today.

So I have to finish some games suggestions what I should play first? Help me HaloGaf this are the leftovers:

Mass Effect
Darksiders
God of War 3
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Dynasty Warriors Gundam
Lego Star Wars the complete Saga
Also maybe Halo Anniversary on Legendary.
Mass Effect. Then H:CEA on Legendary. Then Darksiders.

Mass Effect. Then H:CEA on Legendary. Then Darksiders.

Ready for DarkSiders 2?! Gonna be L-E-G-I-T!

images

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Stop creating maps that are just giant open canyons with 2 bases in them. There, problem solved.

Dang it Over! There goes my idea for GAF Wars!

Picture this. Neutral flag, 2 Scorpions per team, AR/ProPipe Start, Everyone is forced to use Armor lock.

Flag carrier has 25% movement speed.
No time limit
Score to win: 1.

My map/gametype slogan: Hours of fun to just score one!

I figured instead of bases I'll just modify a Grifball stadium and make it longer.

Checkmate Multiplayer Design Team.

Where's Frankie?

I have a question regarding Halo 3 + Halo CEA cutscene and terminal 1.

Or can anyone assist me? It sort of twists with wmonkeys theory of Master Chief Geas possibly being the Didacts, but I'm not looking for answers for Halo 4 and Didact.

Risen

Can just as easily lead to slower game play and longer kill times... in spite of the few that say otherwise. Again... the play style with the BR was dictated by personal choice and map structure more than the weapon itself. People have said it forced movement... except that was not born out in game play time and time again... yes, even in BTB.

People would just as often camp and wait for others to enter the BR's range... precisely because they were not dangerous from anywhere. The optimal play, even in BTB was to set and hold... not move.

Rat's Nest - sit on corners and snipe, wait... profit.
Valhalla - sit on middle, wait... profit
Avalanche - sit in middle, their side middle, wait... profit
Standoff - sit in rocks, wait... profit

Operative words... wait, profit.

And so on and so forth. It did not force movement in any way. You did not HAVE to move at all once set. Compounding the effect was a complete inability to fight off spawn if the other team had power weapons, vehicles, plus position... because of the "weakness" of the BR.

The "weakness" combined with strong power weapons and vehicles did more to foster a slower pace of play, than it did to FORCE movement. With the 3x DMR one can engage from more areas, creating the option for faster play and more movement without fear of being defenseless. Plus it gives me the ability to better fight off spawn... which the H3 BR did not do nearly as effectively.

I totally get the thought of limited range = more movement in theory... after all one has to move into range to be effective right? The problem is that people can simply wait for others to move into range rather than be forced to move. Combine Sprint with the DMR and there can be INCREDIBLY fast game play... even in BTB. Anyone watch those BTB vs MLG games? Hardly slow... and certainly faster paced than anything in H3 or H2... and all because of the ability to fight from anywhere and move quickly.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Something I forgot to mention in the thread last night...

Has anyone ever experienced getting 100% bloom in the middle of a TU match?

It happened last night when I was playing with a bunch of gaffers with the DMR.
A couple weeks ago, it happened when I was using a needle rifle.
And even weirder, a few nights ago, I was getting bloom with the damn sniper rifle. Like bloom that affected my accuracy.

It's only happened in really laggy games, so that may be a factor, but I don't think it is.

Hopping on H3 in 5 mins.
I would join you, but I'm working. :(

Slaker117

Where's Frankie?

I have a question regarding Halo 3 + Halo CEA cutscene and terminal 1.

Or can anyone assist me? It sort of twists with wmonkeys theory of Master Chief Geas possibly being the Didacts, but I'm not looking for answers for Halo 4 and Didact.

Well, you may as well ask the question. We won't know if we can answer it or not until we see it.

Can just as easily lead to slower game play and longer kill times... in spite of the few that say otherwise. Again... the play style with the BR was dictated by personal choice and map structure more than the weapon itself. People have said it forced movement... except that was not born out in game play time and time again... yes, even in BTB.

People would just as often camp and wait for others to enter the BR's range... precisely because they were not dangerous from anywhere. The optimal play, even in BTB was to set and hold... not move.

And so on and so forth. It did not force movement in any way. You did not HAVE to move at all once set. Compounding the effect was a complete inability to fight off spawn if the other team had power weapons, vehicles, plus position... because of the "weakness" of the BR.

The "weakness" combined with strong power weapons and vehicles did more to foster a slower pace of play, than it did to FORCE movement. With the 3x DMR one can engage from more areas, creating the option for faster play and more movement without fear of being defenseless. Plus it gives me the ability to better fight off spawn... which the H3 BR did not do nearly as effectively.

I totally get the thought of limited range = more movement in theory... after all one has to move into range to be effective right? The problem is that people can simply wait for others to move into range rather than be forced to move. Combine Sprint with the DMR and there can be INCREDIBLY fast game play... even in BTB. Anyone watch those BTB vs MLG games? Hardly slow... and certainly faster paced than anything in H3 or H2... and all because of the ability to fight from anywhere and move quickly.

You're talking about Halo 3, we were talking about Halo 2. The BR's played out like night and day IMO, but I agree. Anyone defending Halo 3's BR and saying it promotes movement should read that ^ because it's just as valid (probably even more because in reality that's how it played out in actual gameplay).

-EDIT-

Ohh, so daedalius just doesn't like the DMR's range.

daedalius

I don't enjoy being pinged from across the map, that's all there is to it.

Reach BTB ruined BTB for me, the mode I played all the time in H2 and H3.

This is likely due to the fact of how the DMR works in practice, and how poorly some of the maps are designed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
*Shudder* People listen to Dubstep?

I heard it was bad on gaf before I actually heard any dubstep. then I listened to some dubstep and discovered some of it is quite bad and some of it is awesome. It's as if it's some kind of poular music subgenre.

Risen

I don't enjoy being pinged from across the map, that's all there is to it.

Reach BTB ruined BTB for me, the mode I played all the time in H2 and H3.

And that's the point in the end... that it really comes down to enjoyment and personal preference. With the advent of the 3x DMR, and structure of Reach maps, there was a fundamental change in a game play dynamic you... and many others enjoyed.

The ability to move freely for a time without worrying about being shot and perhaps killed before you could cover up... which is a far cry from forcing movement as some have said.

Well, you may as well ask the question. We won't know if we can answer it or not until we see it.
Nvm the cutscene from Halo 3.

wmonkey's theory is that Master Chief's Geas is from the Didact.

"A "Geas" is the what's the word I'm looking for soul? memory? of an old human implanted in a human at birth by the
Librarian
. It is also a set of commands. Only from the ancient humans."

IHaveIce

Banned
Well actually the TRULY correct order would be:

1. Mass Effect
  2. H:CEA Legendary
  3. DarkSiders
  4. DarkSiders 2 (it comes out on August 14th)

:]

Yeah I hope I can get it ! But I heard Mass Effect takes a lot of time?
I think Legendary Solo will be painful, I hope I can get a friend to help me, because I'm awful at driving in the last level.

or I force/ask Croatia to help me :J

willow ve

Copy Bungie.net, put a 343 sticker on it and call it a day.

Bnet had superb stat tracking and stat interface. But their forum structure left much to be desired (granted still better than Waypoint). Wasn't there a rumoured overhaul of all things Waypoint (both on Xbox Live and the Web) when Halo 4 rolls out?

JHall

Can someone tell me if the light rifle be one of the starting weapons that I can choose in matchmaking? I haven't heard anything about it since it was shown in the E3 campaign demo.

Slaker117

Bnet had superb stat tracking and stat interface. But their forum structure left much to be desired (granted still better than Waypoint). Wasn't there a rumoured overhaul of all things Waypoint (both on Xbox Live and the Web) when Halo 4 rolls out?

Christ, I hope so. Their is really no excuse for letting the website for your top tier franchise be that bad.

I heard it was bad on gaf before I actually heard any dubstep. then I listened to some dubstep and discovered some of it is quite bad and some of it is awesome. It's as if it's some kind of popular music subgenre.
I was Jk abit. Agreed. I've heard some dubstep that isn't as Skrillex original version, but a much steadier beat (mellow) which was enjoyable.

Akai__

Yeah I hope I can get it ! But I heard Mass Effect takes a lot of time?
I think Legendary Solo will be painful, I hope I can get a friend to help me, because I'm awful at driving in the last level.

or I force/ask Croatia to help me :J

Hehe, currently doing a run with an other german friend and zoojoo asked me, too. But yeah, I'm up for it. When you see me online, just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom