• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for advice guys. just saw it on ebay for 5 bucks, so i figured why not?

I have a redeemable code I've yet to use, so if you want to share that with me? You get dibs, but if you already bought it then the offer is up for anyone else (for the full game)

Its a combination of hit-boxes and bullet magnetism, not necessarily aim assist; because you don't really get any assist cross-map.

Yeh true my bad, that's what I was thinking in my head but simply wrote auto aim lol (not completely sober ;])

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I am pretty surprised that even the press is hyped to play Halo 4. Arthur Gies tweeted this:

Oh yeah. Halo 4 press event incoming?

CEA is not that tough on Legendary. Just pick up the PP and you can easily complete every level. And yeah Shotgun for the Flood levels.

He's good peeps. Pretty sure he's a fan of the series too.

Hopefully he'll come in here and spread some wealth

I have a redeemable code I've yet to use, so if you want to share that with me? You get dibs, but if you already bought it then the offer is up for anyone else.

Yeh true my bad, that's what I was thinking in my head but simply wrote auto aim lol (not completely sober ;])

code for what exactly? The DLC? Something else?

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE AMAZING AUDIO PRODUCTION! If it wasn't for Alan Wake, I would have never found Poets of the Fall, an amazing, talented, genre-diverse, awesome band.

Also, AFTER you play the game, the mini-series that Microsoft made (available on YouTube and I believe XBL) is quite interesting and well-done.
Same here. I'm kind of a fan of them now.

Oh, and that sounds like a great idea! I watched it before playing the game and, yeah, it was neat on its own merits, but now that I actually know something about this world, it should be a lot nicer to watch.

I'm so glad to hear this because I was always on the fence about this game.. Got a free code with some holiday bundle I bought for my girl, but was always distracted from playing it. Time to get on that :]

How many pieces of DLC are there?
Only two: The Signal and The Writer.

thanks for advice guys. just saw it on ebay for 5 bucks, so i figured why not?
Do yourself a favor and play this game.

So, anyway, about that Halo game...

Ways that the DMR's range issues can be nullified in H4 (mostly for BTB):
-Maps that aren't massive open dead zone spaces.
-Players ability to actually move, especially a better strafe.
-Hitboxes don't have to be the size of Texas.
-Not getting knocked out of scope will make it easier to fight back when someone engages you from long range.
-Stop having significantly higher aim assist levels with you scope in.

A couple of those we know are in H4, the others should happen as well, and then I think you don't have this "problem" with the DMR in BTB without gimping an appropriately powerful weapon.

"In Bristol today mastering the HALO 4 Official Soundtrack! Eigtheen months of work, four hours of music all squeezed into 78 minutes but sounding GREAT."
https://www.facebook.com/Davidge.Neil/posts/443449632361820

I really can't wait to hear the soundtrack.. While I know they said that there would not be a 'theme' for Halo 4, nor would there be any returning tracks I am still curious if that has changed in any way. It just seems weird to have a Halo game without some of the old themes sneaking in, even in a minor fashion.

So, 78 minutes? Hows that compare to past OSTs?

I am pretty surprised that even the press is hyped to play Halo 4. Arthur Gies tweeted this:

Oh yeah. Halo 4 press event incoming?

Ooohh, maybe we will get some more news sooner rather than later?

My initial feelings is that this would make the problem worse. If you can't easily knock out DMR players from scope, it's harder to disengage combat with them.

Well let's take Hemorrhage for example: If someone starts shooting at me from long range, and I'm out in the open. When the other player gets the jump, it's much harder to scope in and actually get some shots on the other player to de-scope them when they are already hitting you. When you get de-scoped by taking damage, the playing that scopes and shoots first gets a pretty big advantage in a wide open area in a long range situation. This will simplify and negate this a bit by being able to just shoot right back and attempt to out-shoot and out-strafe the other player.

Obviously I haven't played H4 yet, so I can't say for sure, but it improves the situation in my mind.

kylej

Banned
Frankie I appreciate your kinda weird referential posts about me but I think it would be better for everyone if you could maybe address how the DMR is different between Reach and Halo 4...

Well let's take Hemorrhage for example: If someone starts shooting at me from long range, and I'm out in the open. When the other player gets the jump, it's much harder to scope in and actually get some shots on the other player to de-scope them when they are already hitting you. When you get de-scoped by taking damage, the playing that scopes and shoots first gets a pretty big advantage in a wide open area in a long range situation. This will simplify and negate this a bit by being able to just shoot right back and attempt to out-shoot and out-strafe the other player.

Obviously I haven't played H4 yet, so I can't say for sure, but it improves the situation in my mind.

Hm. True. But wouldn't such a mechanic pressure players to keep the combat far apart? I'm thinking about it like this. One of the reasons why you would want to opt for mid-range combat over long range combat is because in mid-range combat you rely on your reticule. You don't have to worry about being de-scoped and that disrupting your aim. If can't be de-scoped in Halo 4, or it takes a while to do so, wouldn't it, theoretically, make players less inclined to close the distance?

I am not sure. Will every of the 4hour content be used in the game? Not sure if I want to hear a track which sounds nearly the same for 10minutes or something haha.

I gave up yesterday.

78 minutes is a smart move; Halo 2's soundtrack got ripped from the actual game files and it ended up being ~90 tracks. You'd think that they're all unique in their own way, except it's more something like this:

Official List - Cairo Suite:
Track 1. Subsuite 1 - Subsuite 2 - Subsuite 3
Track 2. Subsuite 1 - Subsuite 2

Gamerip - Cairo Suite:
CAIRO STATION 1 (only percussion)
CAIRO STATION 2 (string melody)
CAIRO STATION 3 (percussion AND string melody)
CAIRO STATION 4 (string melody with a different set of percussion!)

So don't worry, Bungie seemed to stop not including tracks on the disc starting with Halo 2, and if CEA's score is any indication (it remixed around 4 or 5 tracks that weren't on the original's tracklisting) we shouldn't be missing anything with Halo 4 either.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd take a comprehensive explanation of the ranking system over direct feed footage of anything.

Hm. True. But wouldn't such a mechanic pressure players to keep the combat far apart? I'm thinking about it like this. One of the reasons why you would want to opt for mid-range combat over long range combat is because in mid-range combat you rely on your reticule. You don't have to worry about being de-scoped and that disrupting your aim. If can't be de-scoped in Halo 4, or it takes a while to do so, wouldn't it, theoretically, make players less inclined to close the distance?

Hmm, I guess a bit, but it's still inherently more difficult to shot and kill a target that's farther away.

Euro date stamps are whack.

Portugeezer

78 minutes of music used in the game? What does that tell us about the length of the game if you look how music was used in past Halo games?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they will talk about our concern for the weapons in the next "sandbox" podcast, if it is going to be recorded.
I don't think Ellis would've teased the topic if it wasn't definitely going to happen. And yeah, I can't wait for that podcast.

78 minutes of music used in the game? What does that tell us about the length of the game if you look how music was used in past Halo games?

Probably nothing. History tells us that the campaign will likely take normal people 8-10 hours on Heroic, but Team Downer will insist on saying it's only a 5 hour campaign a few months after the game releases.

I hope they will talk about our concern for the weapons in the next "sandbox" podcast, if it is going to be recorded.

Can't wait for that. The Reach podcast with Sage, where he explained pretty much all the sandbox in-depth and gave a bunch of other technical information about the game such as FOV was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom