• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to disagree here. It doesn't help build a balance, it builds randomness in long range firefights due to your aim jumping up, down, or side-to-side. It should come down to who has better aim and reflexes. Not about who got lucky because their aim jumped up when being shot and that reticle movement resulted in that person getting a headshot when he or she wasn't aiming there.

This mechanic only works with games that involve ADS (aim down sight) and extremely quick kill times like seen in CoD or Battlefield. Because of the pinpoint accuracy that ADS brings. The players aim jumping around randomly when being shot at helps counter the accuracy that ADS brings to the game,

Agreed.

What comes to mind about this is "Why the change?", there must be a legitimate reason. If 343i would bring back the knocked-out-of-scope for competitive playlists like MLG or something new, then that might settle mixed feelings, but not so much entirely. What I think is they've tested this formula with positive feedback just for the majority of players.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Good God, reading posts on Bnet makes me remember how much I hated people on there.

smh.gif

So you hate people who don't share the same sentiment as you? Or you just hate people who enjoy the game, I'm confused.

JHall

I am so confused now. Was knocking out of scope not the initial discussion? Don't know where the hell flinching came in...

Flinching came from someone (don't remember who) by saying that was the counter to not being not being knocked out of scope when taking damage.

FyreWulff

Can't you just get around the privacy by telling other people what your rank is? Sounds like a decent compromise, but hardly the prevention to cheating we want.

But you wouldn't be able to see it normally so it'd still have the effect of neutering boosting and cheating. People participated in it because they knew other people could see their ill-gotten rank.

If people get 1-50 back but still complain that only they can see it, even though they've constantly wanted an indication of their skill progress upwards or downwards, then you're just starting to see the reason why people really want 1-50 back, and it's not because of the skill matching.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So basically, there is no more competition, I'll have no way of knowing how good the other player is?

You were a 50 in MLG, you should be able to recognize the good players. You're basically at the top of the food chain.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Aw man, just realized Team 789shadow and Team Senador don't play until exactly the time I go to work.

Can someone record the games and link me a fileshare? I'd love to watch them when I get home.

So basically, there is no more competition, I'll have no way of knowing how good the other player is?
Is there a competition in Halo: Reach? Because how I understood the post is that there will be two ranking: The normal Reach like system, visible for everyone and a special rank only for you.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Aw man, just realized Team 789shadow and Team Senador don't play until exactly the time I go to work.

Can someone record the games and link me a fileshare? I'd love to watch them when I get home.
Totally.

But you wouldn't be able to see it normally so it'd still have the effect of neutering boosting and cheating. People participated in it because they knew other people could see their ill-gotten rank.

If people get 1-50 back but still complain that only they can see it, even though they've constantly wanted an indication of their skill progress upwards or downwards, then you're just starting to see the reason why people really want 1-50 back, and it's not because of the skill matching.

but people will boost to earn weapons and perks. they will also boost to earn more credits for there recruit - inheritor picture.

its laughable if 343 thinks removing 1-50 will decrease people who will exploit and cheat in the game ESPECIALLY when you need to unlock things by playing. look at fucking cod and all the people that sit for hours boosting.

Jdez15

Banned
How is there that disconnect still? There will be ten maps.

Ten maps there will be.

Halo 4 will have ten, non-forged, fully playable, maps.

I said essentially because of the 3 forge maps.

EDIT: Many people were confusing me on the forge maps.

This is why I've been praying for that Searchable Custom Games feature ever since it was promised then scrapped from Halo 3.. Halo Reach matchmaking all over again. Searchable Custom Games would've alleviated the playlist management for matchmaking when it's just the same stuff over and over again.

FyreWulff

but people will boost to earn weapons and perks. they will also boost to earn more credits for there recruit - inheritor picture.

its laughable if 343 thinks removing 1-50 will decrease people who will exploit and cheat in the game ESPECIALLY when you need to unlock things by playing.

exp/cr/sbucks boosting will be really easy to detect though. Especially since there's a 99% chance that there will be a daily cap.

Even though the "early unlocks" crap you get with the LE is a bad direction, in a way it also devalues the later unlocks for boosting. "Oh yeah, I already got a Lightrifle start!" "So what, I got that from the LE, noob"

How is there that disconnect still? There will be ten maps.

Ten maps there will be.

Halo 4 will have ten, non-forged, fully playable, maps.
So you're saying there will be 8 maps and not 10?
I want 20!!!!! and my own inflatable Frankie

Show a K/D ratio and a W-L record instead of a rank. I'm perfectly content showing I suck with either format.
Win/Losses doesn't really tell people anything other than that they may play with a full team instead of randoms or spend all their time in BTB. My K/D ratio is not very good, but I also play mostly 4v4 game types and I'm almost always jumping in solo. I'd rather have K/D ratio and bring back our hit percentages from Halo2.

JHall

Agreed.

What comes to mind about this is "Why the change?", there must be a legitimate reason. If 343i would bring back the knocked-out-of-scope for competitive playlists like MLG or something new, then that might settle mixed feelings, but not so much entirely. What I think is they've tested this formula with positive feedback just for the majority of players.

Maybe they just thought they would try something different just to hear the feedback at E3 or to see if people would notice at all.

I for one have NEVER heard someone say while playing Halo,

"Man! I just missed my shots because that guy knocked me out of scope"

Now if they do decided to keep this mechanic of flinching and not get kicked out of scope, I'm fairly certain you will hear a lot of complaining. Not just from newer players but from veterans.

I have trained myself since Halo CE to automatically scope back in when I'm getting shot at when fighting at longer ranges (and I know a ton of players are the same way). This new feature will f*** my aim up and will take a while to me to get used to it. But that is just me.

Talents

Banned
Is there a competition in Halo: Reach? Because how I understood the post is that there will be two ranking: The normal Reach like system, visible for everyone and a special rank only for you.

I wouldn't know if there is competition in Reach, obviously a small portion, but there isn't anything that makes you want to win, you'll still earn the same amount of credits. The occasions I do play Reach, I feel like I don't try no where near as hard, I lounge down in my chair and if I lose all I think is, well that's unfortunate.

Where as in other Halos you wanted to win (in ranked anyway) you had something that you didn't want to lose, but wanted to keep.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm sure it's more resentment for the immaturity and such.

Not like that sort of thing ever permeates GAF though...

The way I see it, if anyone is complaining about Forge in Halo 4, it is because they set an expectation on it based on nothing at all. It would be a whole other issue if we were promised things in the new Forge that ended up not happening, but that is not the case. The Halo Reach > Halo 4 evolution is perfectly logicial and to me it goes above and beyond what it should be, ESPECIALLY if these two unseen Forge environments are the same scale as what was shown. People complaining about not getting a terrain editor are responsible for their own disappointment.

Talents

Banned
Competition and ranks hurt people's feelings. Can't have that in Halo 4. More random, more fun!!!

Wouldn't want the casuals to feel left out, would we? They obviously deserve to lose time after time against more experienced players, screw them going against people their own skill.

exp/cr/sbucks boosting will be really easy to detect though. Especially since there's a 99% chance that there will be a daily cap.

Even though the "early unlocks" crap you get with the LE is a bad direction, in a way it also devalues the later unlocks for boosting. "Oh yeah, I already got a Lightrifle start!" "So what, I got that from the LE, noob"

but 1-50 is just as easy to detect. plus frankie said they didn't want people selling accounts, but if people find a way to exploit the system without being detected (which someone will do) accounts will be sold that have everything unlocked, just like in cod. I can see the ebay auctions and forum posts now.

HIGHEST RANK HALO 4 ACCOUNT!!! ALL WEAPON AND SPARTAN SKINS UNLOCKED ONLY 19.99!!!!111

kylej

Banned
The fact that they added flinch on top of not getting knocked out of scope just boggles my mind.

Why the hell would i want my shots to not go where i aim them while in scope, instead of them going where i aim them but being knocked out of scope?

It just makes no sense.

I really, reallly hope the Halo 4 DMR doesn't turn out to be a mess. If it is, I think we'll be wishing we had the Reach DMR back 6 months after launch. Playing zero bloom DMRs in Reach is so nice, such a crisp weapon with no distance restraints. I'm not looking forward to recoil and flinching and spread filled BR battles. Randomness is not fun in any way in Halo.

As for ranks, I've already explained why skill boosting "ruining" ranks is a completely empty argument so why repeat myself on that issue. It's absurd that 1-50 is staying away, but whatever, that hurts people's feelings too.

http://kotaku.com/5924247/halo-2-high+definition-remake-said-to-be-in-development

RUMOR

The latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine UK says that 343 Industries, maker of last year's Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (and, of course, this year's all-new Halo 4), has similar plans for Halo 2.

"Following the success of remake Halo Anniversary, 343 Industries has now started development of Halo 2 Anniversary," the magazine says in its rumors section. No sourcing or other details are given.

Asked about the rumor, a Microsoft spokesman told Kotaku: "Our focus right now is on developing Halo 4. Beyond that, we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

Interesting, Halo 2 was one of my least favorites (if Halo Wars counts) but I would possibly buy this considering I haven't played Halo 2 in years. Would be interesting to see if this makes Halo 2's return in MLG.

FyreWulff

http://kotaku.com/5924247/halo-2-high+definition-remake-said-to-be-in-development

Interesting, Halo 2 was one of my least favorites (if Halo Wars counts) but I would possibly buy this considering I haven't played Halo 2 in years. Would be interesting to see if this makes Halo 2's return in MLG.

They shouldn't bother with a Halo 2 remake unless it's an actual remake and not a portmake like CE. CE had to be a portmake due to the stature/memories it had. Halo 2 was an unfinished game. I would not expect the market to buy an unfinished game twice.

I swear I don't do these huge ass multi-quotes on purpose, I just tend to not realize how many times I press that button while catching up on a thread. Anyways..

Something that has been on mind regarding Halo 4 lately is how well 343 translates their concepts into the game engine. I always get dissapointed seeing concept of games that never shines through in the final prodict. I think 343 has done a great job with this, and I can't wait to see what some of those concept pieces we saw turn into.

VUywB.jpg

IGtsQ.jpg

I can't wait to see this in game.
xY2hQ.jpg

I completely agree, while Halo games usually look very pretty compared to their concepts, the in game never quite captured the magic of the art. With Halo 4 the in gae environments look phenomenal, it actually looks like an alien planet oozing with detail, atmosphere, and most of beauty. I really can't wait to see more.

Dunno if old but... Challenges.

=D

Good catch!

One half decimal measure of your human nocturnal recuperative interludes.

Alright, 5 sleeps it is! Bring it!

Im gonna guess its gonna be Haven or Adrift, but none the less Im happy to know we will get more footage.

New screen of Longbow on Certain Affinity's site?

00_header_H4.jpg

Dat Sky.

Oohhh, I wonder if the new Skybox does have some of the spacy bits that I like, cause the blue part seems to be that of the new.

Does kinda look like an SMG...

Blown Up:

MUP0Q.png

Forerunner SMG?

Honestly, its probably just a UNSC upgraded SMG, and that makes me happy! Although, I don't notice a scope or silencer which is too bad, I loved the ODST SMG. Even so, glad to see its probably in the game.

Because that was what was ready in time for our biggest machinima community 's big event?

I do have to agree that it was bizarre to show it off with a map that shares so much with Forgeworld, but Im sure the final shipping version will look good, especially with two other environments to mix things up.

Cool, thanks!

Adrift Gameplay Part: 1 | 2

Anndddd.. Thanks again!

A bit late, because i had almost 2000 posts to read (you guys talk too much), but...

El Burritoh created Haloramics - there's stuff like this:

329522349_FSMzy-X3-1.jpg

That looks beautiful, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom