• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the Forge maps will have a 'default' map baked in, ala Hemorrhage and Paradiso.

Thank you for proving my point lol. :p

Frankie has specifically referred to them as Forge "environments", so hopefully that's a sign that they are indeed environments, and 343 isn't having terribad default forged variants of them as a map in MM.

http://kotaku.com/5924247/halo-2-high+definition-remake-said-to-be-in-development

Interesting, Halo 2 was one of my least favorites (if Halo Wars counts) but I would possibly buy this considering I haven't played Halo 2 in years. Would be interesting to see if this makes Halo 2's return in MLG.

lolwut.jpg

Which Halo game did you start with? Also, what didn't you like about Halo Wars? The multiplayer was crazy once you dove into it.

So you hate people who don't share the same sentiment as you? Or you just hate people who enjoy the game, I'm confused.
No, not at all. Just the personal attacks I received for criticizing the game. As long as my opinion is opposed with a good rebuttal, I'm fine with that. I am not ok with people throwing fallacies all over the place.

They shouldn't bother with a Halo 2 remake unless it's an actual remake and not a portmake like CE. CE had to be a portmake due to the stature/memories it had. Halo 2 was an unfinished game. I would not expect the market to buy an unfinished game twice.

what, what, no! some of you people got a portmake for your favorite halo campaign. i want one for my favorite one. halo 2 was perfect to me, i don't want it changed, just reskinned like CEA.

They shouldn't bother with a Halo 2 remake unless it's an actual remake and not a portmake like CE. CE had to be a portmake due to the stature/memories it had. Halo 2 was an unfinished game. I would not expect the market to buy an unfinished game twice.

Not to mention they didn't remake the only part of the game fans actually wanted remade.

lolwut.jpg

Which Halo game did you start with? Also, what didn't you like about Halo Wars? The multiplayer was crazy once you dove into it.

Played all the Halos, started with the first, but I'm not much of a RTS guy at all. I'm terrible at them, so I guess my opinion is slightly biased. I can understand the appeal, and playing the game with one of my friends who is really good made for some fantastic matches, but I did nothing to contribute other than being told what to do, haha.

zap

Not to mention they didn't remake the only part of the game fans actually wanted remade.

We didn't want to split the userbase, so we split the userbase!

Edit: I'm joking, I was never expecting the multiplayer being remade. Frankie has said countless times that it wouldn't have worked over live like it did, no matter how many resources (tm) thrown at it.

However if (IF) Halo 2 is ever remade, we need multiplayer - it's the best part by far.

What part was that? Because the only controversy I can remember (wasn't huge into online multi then, watched my bros play a ton though) is the campaign.

EDIT: On second thought, taken out the assault rifle was a stupid move.

What part was that? Because the only controversy I can remember (wasn't huge into online multi then, watched my bros play a ton though) is the campaign.

I'm talking about Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary.

You wanted lockstep networking for versus multiplayer? Okay.

WTF part of "remade' do you not understand?

zap

He's talking about multiplayer not being remade in Halo CEA.

Taking out the AR was great :p

So, a few small things:

-Sniper looks better in motion, Im starting to like its design, but I still feel like it looks outdated and doesn't mesh with other UNSC guns.

-Where the hell has the Railgun been?

-Rockets look funky, both in trail and explosions.. they need more visual oomph.

-we need HD screens/video of the Forge stuff.

Played all the Halos, started with the first, but I'm not much of a RTS guy at all. I'm terrible at them, so I guess my opinion is slightly biased. I can understand the appeal, and playing the game with one of my friends who is really good made for some fantastic matches, but I did nothing to contribute other than being told what to do, haha.

Nice, I kinda figured that about HW because I was the same way about RTS games. I played StarCraft a few times and some others, but since it was Halo I latched onto it and learned how it was played. Some of the best matches I've ever played in a video game were on HW with some amazing come backs lol

He's talking about multiplayer not being remade in Halo CEA.

Taking out the AR was great :p

Ah my mistake, haven't played Anniversary Edition yet. So what, they just threw the multiplayer in there without touching stuff up and fixing bugs, exploits previously known?

EDIT: Nevermind, still that sucks that the Anniversary Edition sucked.

GhaleonEB

Thank you for proving my point lol. :p

Frankie has specifically referred to them as Forge "environments", so hopefully that's a sign that they are indeed environments, and 343 isn't having terribad default forged variants of them as a map in MM.

I actually typed that first sentence intending it to counter your post, re-read the map names, and realized I'd just reinforced it. :lol

We've only seen one small part of one (big?) Forge map, but I'm a bit worried about it. My biggest issue with Forge World is how detailed it is. Yes, it's pretty and all the rocks and logs and coast and such are wonderfully realized, but with every detail added, it got less flexible and thus less useful as a Forge space; it was a canvas already painted on. This unnamed new space looked the same.

Sandbox was great because it was literally a big open space to make maps on. There was nowhere in all of Forge World as flexible. What I want is a really really big Sandbox, with the added ability to place hilly terrain (grass/sandy hill objects). A really detailed, chunky asymmetric space is not helpful when it comes to designing custom maps.

Again, we've only seen a glimpse. So I hope it's a very incomplete one.

FyreWulff

WTF part of "remade' do you not understand?

I understand the part where they would have had to change the multiplayer to make it even work in a non-lockstep enviroment so they basically had a lose-lose situation of terrible netplay or the hardcore fans bitching that the multiplayer wasn't 1:1.

Porting the maps to the current Halo game was the best option, especially since Reach has proven netcode.

Honestly, I would have preferred CE:A to have been CE remade in the Reach engine and export to Reach itself so you could play it in a modern engine with modern networking. Any Halo 2 remake should be made in the Halo 4 engine. No more "new layer running on top of original engine code" shenanigans.

zap

Ah my mistake, haven't played Anniversary Edition yet. So what, they just threw the multiplayer in there without touching stuff up and fixing bugs, exploits previously known?

Nope, just added some CE maps to Reach, And had a TU to attempt (and fail) to make the CE pistol in Anniversary playlists.

JonCha

gaf get online

jelyk

Tournament in an hour.

I understand the part where they would have had to change the multiplayer to make it even work in a non-lockstep enviroment so they basically had a lose-lose situation of terrible netplay or the hardcore fans bitching that the multiplayer wasn't 1:1.

Porting the maps to the current Halo game was the best option, especially since Reach has proven netcode.

Honestly, I would have preferred CE:A to have been CE remade in the Reach engine and export to Reach itself so you could play it in a modern engine with modern networking. Any Halo 2 remake should be made in the Halo 4 engine. No more "new layer running on top of original engine code" shenanigans.

Did CE:A use a modified Reach engine?

Overdoziz

Banned
I actually typed that first sentence intending it to counter your post, re-read the map names, and realized I'd just reinforced it. :lol

We've only seen one small part of one (big?) Forge map, but I'm a bit worried about it. My biggest issue with Forge World is how detailed it is. Yes, it's pretty and all the rocks and logs and coast and such are wonderfully realized, but with every detail added, it got less flexible and thus less useful as a Forge space; it was a canvas already painted on. This unnamed new space looked the same.

Sandbox was great because it was literally a big open space to make maps on. There was nowhere in all of Forge World as flexible. What I want is a really really big Sandbox, with the added ability to place hilly terrain (grass/sandy hill objects). A really detailed, chunky asymmetric space is not helpful when it comes to designing custom maps.

This, this and this so much. From what we've seen of the shown Forge map no area seems to be able to fit a proper map. And the ground - once again - seem uneven in the 'flat' areas. Give me a flat area with a nice background and I'm set, please.

Agreed that Sandbox was a great place to Forge. With even Reach's Forge tools, the possibilities with Sandbox would have been dramatically better than what you could do with it in H3's Forge. I agree that grassy area on the map we saw looks pretty useless to Forge on.

My point was that I don't want 343 to try to create a "default map" out of Forge environment just to jam into matchmaking. The default Foundry and Sandbox maps were poor, and so were the Forge World maps.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Yep I see where you're coming from there, I pretty much thought the same thing. However, if it is the same size as FW, I would say we really only saw about 1/5th of the entire map. I'm pretty hopeful that they use the same method as Bungie and incorporate several types of landforms to accomodate different types of maps.

This kind of got me thinking too...what if one of the unseen Forge environments is a massive, human-themed, INDOOR area...like perhaps a huge-ass docking bay on the Infinity...

:_o

CyReN

My point was that I don't want 343 to try to create a "default map" out of Forge environment just to jam into matchmaking. The default Foundry and Sandbox maps were poor, and so were the Forge World maps.

I agree, work on tweaking it and asking the Forge community if they had any input (if possible). Let the Forgers take over when the game launches and start implementing maps in December playlist update.

GhaleonEB

Agreed that Sandbox was a great place to Forge. With even Reach's Forge tools, the possibilities with Sandbox would have been dramatically better than what you could do with it in H3's Forge. I agree that grassy area on the map we saw looks pretty useless to Forge on.

I agree, that's what my first sentence was intended to convey. To add to that, I'm worried the map we saw was so detailed and lumpy because it was built with a default map in mind, rather than being designed as a canvas.

In a way, Forge World was designed in reverse order to Sandbox (the matchmaking map). With FW they had spaces carved out with specific maps in mind (Sanctuary, Blood Gulch, Ascension, the island (just missing bases)), then stitched them together into Forge World. With Sandbox, they made a canvas and then Dan Miller made a default map on it as an illustration of what could be done with it. That's the approach I would like to see taken with the new Forge maps.

(I thought the Sandbox MM variant was pretty good, certainly better than the Reach ones.)
Yep I see where you're coming from there, I pretty much thought the same thing. However, if it is the same size as FW, I would say we really only saw about 1/5th of the entire map. I'm pretty hopeful that they use the same method as Bungie and incorporate several types of landforms to accomodate different types of maps.

Right, that's what I was saying at the end. We've only seen a bit, so too early to draw hard conclusions. But what I did see didn't get me excited, it got me worried.

kylej

Banned
This kind of got me thinking too...what if one of the unseen Forge environments is a massive, human-themed, INDOOR area...like perhaps a huge-ass docking bay on the Infinity...

:_o

Or instead of more boring canonical areas how bout a large area that looks like The Pit.

Vire

Here's an idea: Keep that Forge shit out of matchmaking. (Or at the very least, keep it confined in a Forge specific playlist)

I don't want any grey bullshit maps in my Infinity Slayer...

10 Maps is enough.

Thanks,

Vire.

Noricart

Here's an idea: Keep that Forge shit out of matchmaking.

Thanks,

Vire.

Should be assorted by playlists, at least early on.
Ex: Classic = No forge maps TS, OBJ, Lone Wolves.
Infinity = Testing site for Forge maps to slowly be phased into Classic.

Tunavi

Banned
Longbow looks like a solid map. Is anyone from gaf at RTX? Tunavi?
not today. got up at 5:30 this morning for the apocalyptic movie shoot, too tired to function afterwards lol. yesterday was awesome though, didn't get the play longbow. dont think it would be very fun 4v4 anyway.

Overdoziz

Banned
Here's an idea: Keep that Forge shit out of matchmaking.

Thanks,

Vire.
1 or 2 Forge maps per playlist. Maximum.
If you're not going to turn Forge into a proper map creator than the maps shouldn't show up in Matchmaking all the time. And I say that as someone who loves to Forge.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Or instead of more boring canonical areas how bout a large area that looks like The Pit.

The Pit was human-themed, was it not? An large indoor human-themed area would accomodate a much larger variety of areas within. Your Pit could be a training room within the environment.

Ramirez

Forge maps should be in the community playlist, just like the one Reach had before they axed it. I should not be forced to play sub par garbage made by community members if I don't want to.

Vire

Forge maps should be in the community playlist, just like the one Reach had before they axed it. I should not be forced to play sub par garbage made by community members if I don't want to.

Yep. It's probably my biggest problem with Reach right now.

Vire

I'm talking community maps not 343i, unless you guys don't want any Forge maps at all..

No Forge maps in competitive playlists period. EVER. If you want it in wacky ones like Action Sack or a Community Playlist - that's fine.

Just keep that crap out of Slayer and Infinity Slayer.

a zoojoo

Banned
must see list
I want to see too.
Guys I just woke up and Forge is still gray, what's going on.
Your rants/rage were hilarious, however, you did make some valid points.
We are supposed to be weird, we are HaloGAF.
mocha_frappe.gif

not the kind of thing overdoz1z will care about. More like Louis Wu.
And by default: a zoojoo. Hype increased.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIYlP5FVPJQ&feature=player_embedded#t=0m44s

Prometheus Vision

Prometheus

I wonder if you can use Prometheus Vision while driving the Banshee
That was painful. He obviously never played a Halo game before.
^ THIS. Agreed. The countless trolls and ignorance was OP, until I went onto Waypoint lol JK
Not Really
4REALZ
shzlss from THC talked to Frankie about ranks.
Huh, interesting. Not much point for ranks anymore is there?
So basically, there is no more competition, I'll have no way of knowing how good the other player is?

pretty much, though, that was basically what it was like in reach, since rank =/= skill.

I still say something like the surface of a moon would make a good simple forge map, just kinda a huge, flat featureless crater. Just put some crazy glowing skybox to give light and a sense of direction. UNSC themed forge pieces with some decent color variation, and then a few natural things like rocks, cliffs, mountains etc.

Akai__

I know we won't get a Guardian remake, but please let it be completely Forge-able.

I enjoyed the map most in Halo 3. MLG Ball on Guardian was my favourite objective gametype. I think you can play it, close to Halo 3 settings, in Halo 4. Would be really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom