• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

i5fc5gV0XXfQJ.gif

CyReN

Bravo DM'd me this:

Hey dude - just a heads up - I'll be casting / announcing the Halo 4 mainstage today around 5pm on stream :) feel free to promote on @THC!

So it's something that Wu likes but commentated by Bravo, interesting.

Jumping into the game too soon after Instant Spawn shows how crucial this FFA match in part 2 can effect your strategy/score. Guy kept getting shot at almost everytime after spawning... Good that PV wasn't present.

Conor 419

Banned
- I have to say, Haven looks pretty.
- Couldn't help but notice Promethean Vision getting rave reviews.
- I can't help but feel the AR class weapons need a revolution in Halo.

I think the most important thing they can do is design the Challenge system to be dynamic, rather than based off fixed templates that are on disc. A strucuture that lets 343 build Challenges from a host of variables (i.e., mode, goal, parameter 1, parameter 2, parameter 3, reward) that can be updated, experimented with and even pushed to the user end (custom Challenges) are my pipe dream hopes for the system.

:D
Which I kinda meant with "lack of variety". The idea of challenges in addition to Spartan Ops creates splendid ideas in my head. 343i has the power to force the player to play the missions in a different and interesting way. As an example one challenge is "Complete Spartan Ops Mission #xy with following Loadout [loadout details]." The loadout can be complete crazy etc. but you are going to try it. You will play the level different. To clarify more: I hope the challenges are going to be more like Anniversary's achievement which were a lot of fun for me! My first challenge idea will not be possible with 4's unlocking system or at least with the information I have about it. Maybe 343i can provide "loadouts" as files to the player. But I hope we will get something like this.

Bravo DM'd me this:

So it's something that Wu likes but commentated by Bravo, interesting.
I think you understood Frankie's post wrong. Frankie is referring to Comic-Con. Nothing will happen tonight. Only live gameplay like yesterday. I do not know where people read this "panel" stuff etc.

I have to say, of all the Forge information we recieved yesterday, the lighting improvements were the best part. As someone who protested how lighting and shadowing were handled for years on Bungie:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46599314&postRepeater1-p=1 The way I was attacked in this thread makes me smh..

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=40710319&postRepeater1-p=1, and even on Waypoint:

https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst76344_Halo-4-Finally-Getting-Real-Time-Shadow-Maps.aspx

I am extremely excited to see proper lighting implemented in Forge maps.

6UTMA.gif

Frank/Ellis. What are the chances of direct feed of forge soon?

A forge vidoc would be very welcome at this point.

I hope it doesn't just render shadows from the one light source (ie the sun in the FW environment). Hopefully you can place artificial lighting.

I was almost certain they'd let you choose from a colour palette for objects in H4 forge. Seems quite basic but appears to be a hump they can't get over for three games now.

The best improvement for Halo 4's Forge has to be the fact that they redid every individual geometry piece to bring it up to the standards seen in proper multiplayer and campaign spaces. Combine that with the lighting and promised varied environments and grey, samey maps should be a thing of the past.

I doubt that when the same pieces are all put together, and forged into a map that the map looks like the visual quality of Campaign or Multiplayer, even if the individual pieces technically are as good as the visual standards for other modes.

Samey maps are a guarantee, even if it isn't as bad as Reach. Yes, there are significant improvements, but as long as the core functionality remains what it is, it will still be a pretty weak tool for making interesting and original competitive MP maps that are aesthetically pleasing. Inevitably, the majority of Forge maps will be map in the air, making them 100% Forge pieces. Even if the 3 pallets are are wildly different, than you'll basically have 3 types of aesthetic Forge maps (kind of like how Sandbox maps looked compared to Foundry) maps, but each map made in each single environment will still get the samey map situation.

I think Forge is a really cool tool (it's amazing for creating new mini-games and other custom gametypes), and I think we saw some nice improvements, but community Forge maps do not belong in the core playlists of the game. As long as that doesn't happen, I have zero issues with Forge.

-Being kicked for doing good
-Being kicked because you killed an admin

-Server banner with either a naked chick/dude or something stupid
-Stupid rules (ex: 5x ticket count for Rush)

Never experienced those first two personally.

The biggest problem in BF3 is that there's no way to filter between DICE and private servers.

Yeah, I really wish that was in the game.

Still a custom game browser for Halo really seems like a bad idea. Jump into elzar's lobby if you need proof that the community likes to play shit.
How about Fracas convincing the lobby to play on Cragmire the other day?

Never forget. Never forgive.

Also, something random I've noticed from the videos, in a HUD UI that makes everything obvious and in your face, a lot of people don't seem to understand that you can press X to respawn right away. Perhaps 343 should highlight that option a little more than it is right now.

Noricart

A forge vidoc would be very welcome at this point.

I hope it doesn't just render shadows from the one light source (ie the sun in the FW environment). Hopefully you can place artificial lighting.

I was almost certain they'd let you choose from a colour palette for objects in H4 forge. Seems quite basic but appears to be a hump they can't get over for three games now.

It would be nice to have human and covie versions of the objects. I mean change the color of the base in the video to a worn green or rust and you already have unsc themed objects.
Hopefully the two other environments are desert and snow.

Not getting knocked out of scope when taking damage just rubs me the wrong way. They really need to change it back.

I agree, but I think it helps build a balance for lower skilled players against more experianced players. Getting knocked-out-of-scope can be.. irritating at times. Having this formula seems it can improve the players focus and skill.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
looks really awkward how the blue "climbs" the red one and kills him then return to the floor, I dont want to see that animation on the ladders.

It looks like they are trying to animate the spartan into "setting his hooks" and going for a rear naked, but instead of a choke, he's snapping the neck.

It just looks really awkward/bad.

It looks like they are trying to animate the spartan into "setting his hooks" and going for a rear naked, but instead of a choke, he's snapping the neck.

I think he stabbed him in the neck.

looks really awkward how the blue "climbs" the red one and kills him then return to the floor, I dont want to see that animation on the ladders.

Looks like the Red Spartan collapsed to the ground first.

Get in line, I'm still waiting for a multiplayer vidoc.

You have had alot of multiplayer footage. Nothing BTS/Vidoc'y but still.

My guess is we will get some kind of BTS at Comic Con and another at PAX.

Multiplayer first showing off new maps
and Forge at PAX with all 3 enviroments on show.

Not sure if theatre really needs showing off. Unless its got some big improvements but i have no idea what they would be.

B wzy

Neo Member

Looks fine to me. Looks like hes placing his feet behind the other spartans knees, bringing him down.

GhaleonEB

I have to say, of all the Forge information we recieved yesterday, the lighting improvements were the best part. As someone who protested how lighting and shadowing were handled for years on Bungie:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46599314&postRepeater1-p=1 The way I was attacked in this thread makes me smh..

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=40710319&postRepeater1-p=1, and even on Waypoint:

https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst76344_Halo-4-Finally-Getting-Real-Time-Shadow-Maps.aspx

I am extremely excited to see proper lighting implemented in Forge maps.

6UTMA.gif
Even Reach's grey landscapes would look so much better with proper lighting and shadows. This alone will make the maps more appealing and have more visual variety.

So, what happens if you make a totally enclosed space? How much light will there be? Is the place black, or just bathed in shadows? Can we add our own light sources for indoor maps?

I would've killed him(her?) by now if he(she?) was my brother(sister?)

uLyin.

Why thank you :]

Because that was what was ready in time for our biggest machinima community 's big event?

Someone's a little feisty lol.. Not that I mind that you showed a map like Forge World, but hopefully there will be more diversity in the objects and palettes within the 3 Forge maps because if you take those away, we're essentially getting 7 "non-Forge World-esque" maps right?

I still can't get over that Halo 4 UI. It's so inefficient and such a step backwards from Bungie's work. I don't get it.

What isn't there to get? Just look at some of the decisions that keep happening over Halo's years..

Halo 2: Inconsistent BR on launch amongst other problems
Halo 3: Pre-patch Halo 2 BR was made as the permanent, non-hitscan BR in Halo 3. Also remember the beat downs and slower movement speed/weaker overall gameplay? This list goes on..
ODST: No matchmaking for FF's first/best showing
Reach: Again even slower, bad maps, heavier/inconsistent gameplay mechanics like bloom, etc.. This list goes on..
Halo 4: Promethean Vision. No Searchable Custom Games. Camo as an AA. A couple other things too, but my experience before you each Halo game and the months after has told me to walk into this new game cautiously (even though I know it's gonna be another go-to game for me)

Either way, Halo 4's maps are really impressing me. Imagine since the overall size of the maps are larger that MLG decides to make it 5v5 and teams have to now get one new player? You saw it here first ;]

B wzy

Neo Member
That wouldn't make any sense given what he's trying to do. "Setting hooks" would though.

Setting hooks involves wrapping a leg(s) around someones waist. In the video thats clearly not happening. Hes pouncing on the guys back, applying pressure to the back of his knee pits, bringing the other to his kness, and snapping his neck.

Louis Wu

A bit late, because i had almost 2000 posts to read (you guys talk too much), but...

Anyone ever make Spherical Planet Panoramas in Reach
El Burritoh created Haloramics - there's stuff like this:

329522349_FSMzy-X3-1.jpg

A guy named HaLo2FrEeEk (he runs http://infectionist.com/ made a few, starting in Halo 3. (The spherical versions no longer seem to exist for the Halo 3 panos, but the scrollable versions are still online.)

Halo Reach Beta - Boneyard:
Boneyard_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Halo Reach Beta - Overlook:
Overlook_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Halo Reach Beta - Powerhouse:
Powerhouse_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Halo Reach Beta - Sword Base:
Swordbase_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Halo Reach Beta - Swording Action:
Swording_Action_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Halo Reach - Anchor 9:
Anchor_9_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Halo Reach - Reflection:
Reflection_world_sm.png

Larger version
Scrollable Pano

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Setting hooks involves wrapping a leg(s) around someones waist. In the video thats clearly not happening. Hes pouncing on the guys back, applying pressure to the back of his knee pits, bringing the other to his kness, and snapping his neck.

No, setting hooks is when you position your legs in a spot where it's hard to remove them. In this case from behind that would be on the inside of the thighs near the knees or even inside the legs using your feet to "hook" the leg. You would never wrap your legs around the front of a person, it gives them many options to counter you.

Edit: Example, watch this guy try to set hooks, and how the other guy defends.

cocamola

Banned
I was hoping to see a more recent build of Halo 4, but I have a feeling the E3 build is all we'll see until launch.
Here's me hoping for footage of; fixed bumper jumper, 4 shot BR, knocked out of scope when hit. Oh also a change that god awful lobby UI.

Dreamers gonna' dream.

Someone's a little feisty lol.. Not that I mind that you showed a map like Forge World, but hopefully there will be more diversity in the objects and palettes within the 3 Forge maps because if you take those away, we're essentially getting 7 "non-Forge World-esque" maps right?

No, there are 10 maps in the game.

Sofa King

Having just watched the Forge demo, I have one question:

Are the 3 maps made for forge part of the 10 multiplayer maps or are they in their own category?

Edit: Answered right before I asked

Even Reach's grey landscapes would look so much better with proper lighting and shadows. This alone will make the maps more appealing and have more visual variety.

Exactly! The sad thing is after Bungie revealed Forge world I posted a thread about the lack of shadows. Here is an example of the hate I received for not "praising" Forge World.

Seriously? Bungie just droped a bomb made of pure awesome and you are complaining.
Bet your head casts a pretty big shadow.
They'll have shadows in the final build.
lol
No one cares
oh my god no shadows. brb gonna go cancel my pre order.
Stop being so picky. Jesus
Sorry, I have expectations...
shadows would make forge uncontrollably laggy
this is ironic

This is why my post count dropped considerably on that site. People were so quick to praise and hated seeing criticism. The fact that people said it doesn't matter since it's just a map editor was laughable since Forge maps became huge in MM.

B wzy

Neo Member
No, setting hooks is when you position your legs in a spot where it's hard to remove them. In this case from behind that would be on the inside of the thighs near the knees or even inside the legs using your feet to "hook" the leg. You would never wrap your legs around the front of a person, it gives them many options to counter you.

Your first 2 sentences are correct, and involves your legs wrapping around a person waist. That is not happening in the video. I'm not talking about crossing them. Enough BJJ in a Halo forum, my bad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Your first 2 sentences are correct, and involves your legs wrapping around a person waist. That is not happening in the video. I'm not talking about crossing them. Enough BJJ in a Halo forum, my bad.

Again, no it does not. Watch the video I edited in.

I did BJJ/Combatives in the Army for 5 years, I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about.

I was hoping to see a more recent build of Halo 4, but I have a feeling the E3 build is all we'll see until launch.
Here's me hoping for footage of; fixed bumper jumper, 4 shot BR, knocked out of scope when hit. Oh also a change that god awful lobby UI.

Dreamers gonna' dream.
No. Definitely not. We are talking about RTX. RTX is a small event compared to PAX, Comic-Con etc. David said already that they won't create an extra build for such a small event. PAX Prime guys will play on a new build. That's a bet I am going to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom