• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiders

The laser does sound nice.

I'm not liking the new sniper sound. Apart from the laser none of the human weapons sound anything like they did in previous Halo games.

zap

Yeah, I don't hate it, it's got a real nice *THUMP* to it, it's just kind of weird for it to now be more or less a brand new sound, and not just a variation on the classic one.

I don't like how clunky the sounds for general movement make the Spartan feel. It sounds like everything done, from running to jumping is forced and hard work, whereas I have always imagined Spartans are fluid, and moving almost effortlessly.

Striker

Assault is awesome, it needs a longer timer to disarm though...
It is my favorite gametype of the entire series once its nailed down. The way it got set up in 2 was great, and what's happened to it since has blown my mind, although they rectified it a bit in Reach, however it still lacks key elements.

- sticky arming
- contesting meter
- disarming never implemented
- arm in a circle that is a decent radius pending the map, plant directly in the middle of the arm spot to win

I'm still pretty worried about what's in store for H4 and its selected gametypes. CTF, yeah, but it still can have that usual overly long reset time and to restore it you wait a while, or stand in a tiny circle waiting to be pounced on for grenades. Still would need contesting and an actual sudden death set up to help that situation. Oddball, yeah it's fun in Lockout, but it has never been a top tier Halo gametype for online play. It's a game where the carrier sits in a corner or room and the others just defend. KotH is fine for limited amount of maps, but it's likely to be log jammed into others. A properly tuned Assault and 3 Plots is what is needed but I am skeptical if they're going to be in the basic Objective playlist, or in the game at all outside Grifball. -_-

Halo should be 5v5/6v6 anyway.
Now once they're able to consistently lay out six to eight above average, at least, 5v5 or 6v6 map versions, we'll talk. There hasn't been that quality since 2. Since then, we've seen: Boardwalk, Standoff, Tempest, Longshore, Last Resort? No thanks. Hopefully there's enough amount of good ones in 4, desperately will need it with all the AA's and such.

Blueblur1

cause nade spam in Reach is crazy off the charts?
My guess.

I always laugh whenever Bungie or whomever would bring up grenade spam. It happens in every Halo game. It's never something new yet it always seems like it's the one of the most difficult problems for them to solve. And 343's approach is to just not allow you to pick up grenades from corpses. That is fucking ridiculous.

I always laugh whenever Bungie or whomever would bring up grenade spam. It happens in every Halo game. It's never something new yet it always seems like it's the one of the most difficult problems for them to solve. And 343's approach is to just not allow you to pick up grenades from corpses. That is fucking ridiculous.

You are completely correct regarding the spam, I'm playing Halo 3 at the moment, and once you a get few dead bodies, it's feels like you can infinite granade spam the enemy.

But with Reach, the spam, coupled with the insane damage and radius, makes it seem far, far worse.

However, I am loving 343's approach to the grenades in 4, if it means the shooting aspect plays a bigger role in the combat.

Gazzawa

20120121173144!Scavenger_Pro.png

so good.

Blueblur1

You are completely correct regarding the spam, I'm playing Halo 3 at the moment, and once you a get few dead bodies, it's feels like you can infinite granade spam the enemy.

But with Reach, the spam, coupled with the insane damage and radius, makes it seem far, far worse.

However, I am loving 343's approach to the grenades in 4, if it means the shooting aspect plays a bigger role in the combat.

That is true. I don't think the change is necessary of the player movement traits are more akin to the previous games (and if they've tweaked grenade damage; I don't recall reading anything about that though). It is funny how often the topic comes up though.

Shadders

Just read that Kojima is speaking at Eurogamer Expo - what a catch!

Is there a list of Halogaffers who are in attendance?

I have a pass for the full event, but probably won't stay that long. London hotels are pricey.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A wild Trasher appears!
In 2012!

Now once they're able to consistently lay out six to eight above average, at least, 5v5 or 6v6 map versions, we'll talk. There hasn't been that quality since 2. Since then, we've seen: Boardwalk, Standoff, Tempest, Longshore, Last Resort? No thanks. Hopefully there's enough amount of good ones in 4, desperately will need it with all the AA's and such.
I definitely agree, here's hoping the launch maps and the subsequent packs hit it out of the ball park. Out of the 3 shown so far, the only one that has me concerned is Adrift.

Well in general though I am really concerned for map management, whether there will be enough maps in each playlist at launch, map amount per pack, how will they ensure they have something for everyone in terms of maps that are fitted for gametypes/playlist, how Forge will play out this time in MM.

I can't suffer another Reach.

Fuchsdh

Have we seen from the images how many grenades you can carry? I feel like upping grenade power was somewhat required because they decided to cut the grenades you could carry. With all of Halo 3's grenades it did get sort of ridiculous that they were carding around dozens, but if there are only the three (Covy, Forerunner, Human) I'd like the max bumped up to 3, at least.

Just read that Kojima is speaking at Eurogamer Expo - what a catch!

Is there a list of Halogaffers who are in attendance?

I have a pass for the full event, but probably won't stay that long. London hotels are pricey.

I'm trying to move funds around for this. Best assume I ain't going in the meantime.

Omni

Did anyone get a "Content encoding error" a minute ago?

Have we seen from the images how many grenades you can carry? I feel like upping grenade power was somewhat required because they decided to cut the grenades you could carry. With all of Halo 3's grenades it did get sort of ridiculous that they were carding around dozens, but if there are only the three (Covy, Forerunner, Human) I'd like the max bumped up to 3, at least.

Three sounds alright.

Do we know anything about Brute weapons/grenades yet? Hell, are Brutes even in the game? The spike grenade was probably my favourite... It would be cool if it returned.

Fuchsdh

Did anyone get a "Content encoding error" a minute ago?

Three sounds alright.

Do we know anything about Brute weapons/grenades yet? Hell, are Brutes even in the game? The spike grenade was probably my favourite... It would be cool if it returned.

No Brutes, as far as we know.

Considering the probable motivations of this "Storm" faction, they wouldn't be caught dead with Brutes.

As fun as some Brute weapons were, a simplified sandbox is a better sandbox.

Omni

No Brutes, as far as we know.

Considering the probable motivations of this "Storm" faction, they wouldn't be caught dead with Brutes.
Eh. In Glasslands they were using Brute workers (which annoyed me... Can't trust the Humans but the Brutes are bros... But let's not get into that) ... It doesn't seem that far fetched to assume the Elites are using them as cannon fodder.

As fun as some Brute weapons were, a simplified sandbox is a better sandbox.
On the contrary, 343i are developing one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sandbox in a Halo game to date.

Fuchsdh

Eh. In Glasslands they were using Brute workers (which annoyed me... Can't trust the Humans but the Brutes are bros... But let's not get into that) ... It doesn't seem that far fetched to assume the Elites are using them as cannon fodder.

On the contrary, 343i are developing one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sandbox in a Halo game to date.

Well, the Elites like dominating someone, and they clearly needed people to crew their ships and keep everything from falling apart. It's not surprising they coalesced back into a Covenant-like order--it was inevitable considering how interdependent they were.

If there were Brutes on Sanghelios, the only way they *weren't* going to get killed was by playing nice.

(And yeah, Halo 4's sandbox is going to be huge, which is one more reason not to add more weapons for Brutes.) :|

That is true. I don't think the change is necessary of the player movement traits are more akin to the previous games (and if they've tweaked grenade damage; I don't recall reading anything about that though). It is funny how often the topic comes up though.
damage and blast radius were noticeably reduced when compared to Reach.

Fuchsdh

Oddball, yeah it's fun in Lockout, but it has never been a top tier Halo gametype for online play. It's a game where the carrier sits in a corner or room and the others just defend.

I always thought Hot Potato should have blown up players who stayed in a general zone too long--forcing the carrier out into the open to move about.

damage and blast radius were noticeably reduced when compared to Reach.

Oh yeah Biggy you played--how many grenades can we carry?

Overdoziz

Banned
I always thought Hot Potato should have blown up players who stayed in a general zone too long--forcing the carrier out into the open to move about.
Hot Potato can burn in hell. It's another gametype resulting from Bungie's boner for random factors.

Oh yeah Biggy you played--how many grenades can we carry?
In the build I played I believe it was 2 plasma and 2 frags. In SPOPS there was the 3rd Promethean grenade type, but in not sure if it is going to be in multiplayer.

That brings me to an important question. I recall hearing someone say that the reason Promethean weapons act the way they do is because they were designed to combat the flood. Why would you need an EMP to combat the Flood?

But blowing yourself and your team mates up at random intervals is so much fun!
That's why you drop it after it's been held for 30 seconds and get a new one. You'd think Team Avoidance would have figured that out by now.

And Bungie didn't "abolish" ranked play, they reduced it to its own subset of matchmaking. They just made it TOO hardcore. It was more difficult to understand and took too long to get ranked for the typical Halo player. Without significant populations, most players just ignored it.

Woorloog

Banned
That brings me to another question. I recall hearing someone say that the reason Promethean weapons act the way they do are because they were designed to combat the flood. Why would you need an EMP to combat the Flood?

Maybe it disrupts neural activity. But since Spartans wear armor with shields, it merely drains the shield. EDIT oh yeah, also, didn't Mendicant Bias work for the Flood? It may have commanded Sentinels and other robots.

EDIT the real world PEPS creates plasma next to skin and the EM radiation causes pain. Or so i understood.

vv another good point.

That brings me to an important question. I recall hearing someone say that the reason Promethean weapons act the way they do is because they were designed to combat the flood. Why would you need an EMP to combat the Flood?
Because the victims of the Flood can have shields and therefore so can the Flood.

Arnie

I think both the Laser and the Sniper sound really good. The sniper in particular has a thoroughly satisfying crack to it.

The sniper still needs a remodel though, can't believe that was ever considered a good design. Looks straight up embarrassing. The Bioshock photoshop yesterday was hilarious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Woke up still super hyped about movement sound. Seriously, this along with no join in progress were some of my biggest complaints with Halo, and it seems both have been resolved. Fuck yeeeeees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom