• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So On..what does it mean?!?

Damn you Frankie. :p

KAB3S.jpg

Nando13

Big O notation is used to describe the limiting behavior of a function when the argument tends towards a particular value or infinity, usually in terms of simpler functions. It is a member of a larger family of notations that is called Landau notation, Bachmann–Landau notation

I see Frankie. I see...

BigShow36

Or they're in polish, balance and flux and we don't want BigShow getting attached to an arbitrary number out of context. Because that actually happens. There are full grown adults in here flipping out about things leaked from a build they know has already changed and that was never designed for public facing visibility in the first place.

There are only ever two reasons for secrecy: Schedules and flux.

So we're three months out from release, probably a few weeks out from going Gold, and general MP features aren't ironed out to the point where you can even disclose their existence?

Now that builds confidence.

We're not asking you about the RoF down to the millisecond for each individual BR round in every 3-round burst. Can we get a screenshot of a map? Or are we still "balancing" whether 9 maps or 10 is going to be the magic number.

How about plans for Matchmaking? Matchmaking changes every month (lol Reach), so what's the harm in saying, "This is what we're looking at for the first few weeks/months of Halo 4. In this playlist, players can choose their loadouts, starting weapons, etc. In these other playlists, they can't."

Or how about just explaining some of the reason's behind the changes you make; that kind of stuff reveals volumes of info to us.

People are flipping out because all they have to go on is a 6 month old build, not because some things will have changed since then. People freak out regardless of what you do, so I don't really see that as a valid excuse.

I applaud what 343 did giving us full gameplays from the perspective of good players, but all this secrecy is completely asinine.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
it started as a typO. Now it's a thing.

No "vidoc" in the very short term, but something neat, just the same. Soon-ish. And then more neat things to follow.

I think it's binary! If we decode it, it will lead to a Halo 4 trailer!

Or it will lead to the BO2 reveal.

As for the laser, I think in halo 3 it's necessary considering how powerful the vehicles are, however it basically boils down to Whichever team controls laser essentially wins.

CyReN

I don't think it's 343 "fault" for news content, they are a new company with their own ways of doing thing. CoD has always been notorious for only showing VERY LITTLE before a game release and it sells if that's a example. Bungie just happened to release more stuff than 343i (not bashing 343i in anyway) but it's just how some companies do things. Yes I would love more info but it's w/e.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

No "vidoc" in the very short term, but something neat, just the same.

So Gameplay without all the boring commentary about why you think Halo is awesome!

I kid I kid, but I assume that means some kind of current gameplay.

And you know what happens when I assume,
I'm normally wrong

FyreWulff

Remember when developers used to be more open?

Then the Halo 2 E3 2003 demo happened. Remember how many people STILL bitch about that? And how loud the bitching was right after Halo 2 came out?

I can practically plot a graph showing developer openness and the bitter reaction to showing and talking about significant content pre-release to that demo.

As for the laser, I think in halo 3 it's necessary considering how powerful the vehicles are, however it basically boils down to Whichever team controls laser essentially wins.

This exactly. Why can't more people see this? The Laser wasn't a problem, it just had one shot too many ;[

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
A video of Frankie flicking off HaloGAF for 10 hours?!

Kiki in a spartan suite playing chess against a grunt plushee?

A behind the scenes tour of the studio where the camera is pointed at someones feet for 5 minutes as they walk around and "show us" some cool things?

What does it mean!

CyReN

You can always talk about design philosophies and why decisions are being made.

Able to wield the pistol while flag running, why the change, looking to make people want to hold objectives instead of just slaying, was it a problem with previous games, noticed a trend in Reach data in objective games, because of low populated playlists in Reach?

We know that the classes are "to customize your spartan to your own playstyle," but why in 343i's eyes was that not capable in the past without the class system?

I know I certainly had a playstyle in Halo 2 as more of a wait back and support player, but I didn't need extra BR ammo or faster shield recharge to play that way.

I just casted a tournament that started with 4 different POVs but due to techinical problems and the cost of running up to 8 POVs with equipment, ended up being only 1 POV with game audio by Sunday where we pulled 1.8k viewers for a tournament put together in 2 weeks.

Yet people still don't understand why a Spectator Mode can help?

Then just to pour some perfectly timed salt into the wound, Black Ops 2 has a spectator mode with BUILT IN overlays with scores and player names, then they have the BALLS to put shoutcasting from hastr0 into their MP reveal trailer.

In the mean time, Halo fans get excited just because you guys dropped the word "competitive" in when talking about how you design maps.

PJSalt

u4ix > Hastro.

Striker

Then the Halo 2 E3 2003 demo happened. Remember how many people STILL bitch about that? And how loud the bitching was right after Halo 2 came out?
Why do that, and just do something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8FdEexJBU

I'd take a basic CTF game on Haven with various loadouts showing off the customization, new weapons, and the changes to the older ones. But we're just stuck with Infinity Slayer and Regicide.

That small little E3 demo showed off tons of new things added, and changed from Halo 1.

* posted above, as well.

I can practically plot a graph showing developer openness and the bitter reaction to showing and talking about significant content pre-release to that demo.
I cannot wait to see how people will react to the new Prey 2 etc.. I can live with the philosophy "show something if it looks polished enough".

No "vidoc" in the very short term, but something neat, just the same. Soon-ish. And then more neat things to follow.
I was correct. I am the new Sherlock, my dear people.

And tickets for Prometheus booked!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It probably roughly matches the entire internet negativity curve. Back in the day, it literally used to be pretty exciting to go online and like, watch a hope-filled movie trailer or look up a recipe. The tone eventually slumped to mainstream norms and now we have Youtube comments instead of innocent wide-eyed wonder.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It probably roughly matches the entire internet negativity curve. Back in the day, it literally used to be pretty exciting to go online and like, watch a hope-filled movie trailer or look up a recipe. The tone eventually slumped to mainstream norms and now we have Youtube comments instead of innocent wide-eyed wonder.

Maybe you shouldn't have touched us in our no-no place.

FyreWulff

Also the best part of that Halo nVidia promo is that you can still use nVidia hardware as a flamethrower in a pinch to this day.

daedalius

Youtube comments are a cesspool of humanity.

BigShow36

Players got pissed because the changes were for the worse, not just because things changed.

Yeah, if you make stupid decisions, especially when you change something and make it worse, you're going to get criticised by your consumers for it. That's not an inherent problem with showing something and then changing it, its a result of making stupid choices.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
It probably roughly matches the entire internet negativity curve. Back in the day, it literally used to be pretty exciting to go online and like, watch a hope-filled movie trailer or look up a recipe. The tone eventually slumped to mainstream norms and now we have racist/hate-filled Youtube comments instead of innocent wide-eyed wonder.

FIxed.

FyreWulff

Players got pissed because the changes were for the worse, not just because things changed.

Yeah, if you make stupid decisions, especially when you change something and make it worse, you're going to get criticised by your consumers for it. That's not an inherent problem with changing something, its a problem with making stupid choices.

For some reason I think the only reason people thought the Halo 2 E3 03 demo looked awesome is because they never had to actually play it themselves. Grass is greener, etc

A significant amount of the stuff from that demo actually made it to the final game, just in different spots and format.

You can always talk about design philosophies and why decisions are being made.

Able to wield the pistol while flag running, why the change, looking to make people want to hold objectives instead of just slaying, was it a problem with previous games, noticed a trend in Reach data in objective games, because of low populated playlists in Reach?

We know that the classes are "to customize your spartan to your own playstyle," but why in 343i's eyes was that not capable in the past without the class system?

I know I certainly had a playstyle in Halo 2 as more of a wait back and support player, but I didn't need extra BR ammo or faster shield recharge to play that way.

I just casted a tournament that started with 4 different POVs but due to techinical problems and the cost of running up to 8 POVs with equipment, ended up being only 1 POV with game audio by Sunday where we pulled 1.8k viewers for a tournament put together in 2 weeks.

Yet people still don't understand why a Spectator Mode can help?

Then just to pour some perfectly timed salt into the wound, Black Ops 2 has a spectator mode with BUILT IN overlays with scores and player names, then they have the BALLS to put shoutcasting from hastr0 into their MP reveal trailer.

In the mean time, Halo fans get excited just because you guys dropped the word "competitive" in when talking about how you design maps.

PJSalt

9SQcX.gif

Can I just state for the record that I *LOVE* salty u4iX? Seriously, standard posts are nothing but class/humor, but when he has a point, he gets to it and brings the hammer down.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Boss Nasti > Cyren + u4ix

DID ANYONE GET INVITED TO TEST DESTINY?!

Still waiting on my email from Urk..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

BigShow36

For some reason I think the only reason people thought the Halo 2 E3 03 demo looked awesome is because they never had to actually play it themselves. Grass is greener, etc

A significant amount of the stuff from that demo actually made it to the final game, just in different spots and format.

But I don't see the downside.

People are eventually going to play the game; there's really no getting around it other than never releasing your game. If people are going to get pissed about a decision, you can't avoid that by not showing them stuff prior to release.

In fact, without playing the game, people are more likely to get acclimated to the changes and gloss over them when the game actually releases (cough* loadouts).

Iv got the beta files on one of my HDD's that has that BR in, Iv never even booted them up im curious if you can play local MP on them id record some decent quality footage if you can

I may happen to know someone who has this and can record as well. I never thought there was any interest in this though.

I may happen to know someone who has this and can record as well. I never thought there was any interest in this though.

That's the thing im not sure if anyone would be interested at this point, i doubt im going to get into any issue over it and if people want to see it id gladly record some stuff.

The article you posted does not say "We have sent invitations out now! Check your Inbox.". For me it sounds like always: "SoOn, just checked in Bungie's beta program and check your inbox every day.".

Bungie Mail Sack said:
Sundalius: Has Bungie started reaching out for Beta Testers already?

We most certainly have! Our User Research team has very specific curiosities in mind when they tap a Beta Tester on the shoulder. The mazes that they build into their Laboratorium are meticulously customized for the people they choose to run through them. If you have yet to be selected, sit tight – and make sure that the email address attached to your profile is one that you still check. Your time may yet come.

Big O notation is used to describe the limiting behavior of a function when the argument tends towards a particular value or infinity, usually in terms of simpler functions. It is a member of a larger family of notations that is called Landau notation, Bachmann–Landau notation

I see Frankie. I see...

nOpe. That would be O(n). Sorry, but once you study any CS stuff, you're a stickler for syntax.

Tawpgun

Watched BLOPS trailer. Not the big change I was expecting. Looks like bullshit on bullshit with all the extra gadgets they're adding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom