• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm a fan of at least two or three builds. Your first build should be down and dirty; get the basic layout configured first, then worry about placement on a particular map later. Just get the map up and ready to run games on as quickly as possible, to avoid some of the boredom that comes with trying to find the right pieces to make it pretty/stand out. Geometry first, testing second, visual flair third.

Setting up spawn points and zones are a real pain in the ass and kind of tedious, so be prepared for that. One of the things I've always done is stand in a spot where I think would be a good place to spawn, look down, immediately go to monitor mode, and drop a spawn point facing the direction I was standing in.

That should be a good place to start, and I'll be happy to check it out when you've got it up and ready to look at.

Awesome, thanks.

I can't believe I'm excited to use forge today lol

Elzar, I've uploaded GAF-friendly versions of Valhalla, Avalanche, and Standoff into my Halo 3 fileshare. Please download ASAP, if you will. For future use. Tell me when you got 'em.

Those games were fun if a bit frustrating because my team kept on losing; aside from that last game of Slayer. Probably need to do a better job of balancing the teams next time, haha.

Thanks for picking Territories on Last Resort – once again I had fun.

images

images

Evolution!

images

images

Evolution!

Dude I know where to get my Ritalin. I've been smoking that shit for years, it's why I'm so laid back. It's probably why I can still play Reach.

Snorting it has a much better effect. Reach game play will appear to be faster then COD.

._.

The Laser in Halo 3 really shuts down any vehicle use for the team that doesn't have it.

Make the Halo 3 Laser 4 shots instead of 5 and you would've had a more balanced sandbox. Halo Reach Laser is so withered along with the vehicles..

I've got USB3 with 16GB of RAM and an 8-core Bulldozer. Hopefully I'll be fine, also because I assumed the device does a bit of the processing itself, no?

The biggest issue I've seen people run into is native USB3 on the mobo. It can't be a PCI-Express card or it's likely not to work. Assuming your mobo is from the last year, you should be good on that front.

The device does some processing (as well as passthrough which is awesome) and recording the raw footage doesn't take too much processing power. However, write speed to your drive of choice (SSD/HDD/whatever, usually a RAID setup) is highly important, especially if you'd like to do anything higher than 720. SATAIII is a must.

For streaming, the processor (and some of the video card) is what gets hit the hardest, since you're taking that raw footage and doing on the fly encoding and editing (overlays, cam, whatever). RAM shouldn't be an issue. I've got 24GB and Xsplit has never actively taken more than like 1.5.

So HaloGAF, I'm halfway into decorating my bedroom(and the entire house) and so my xbox is unplugged. Still got my PC up and running but not being able to get on Halo 3 is horrible.

I'm toying with the idea of just Not playing any halo until a week before Halo 4 and then playing

Reach
CE:A
Halo 2 Vista
Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3

on normal before starting Halo 4 on Heroic

FyreWulff

The biggest issue I've seen people run into is native USB3 on the mobo. It can't be a PCI-Express card or it's likely not to work. Assuming your mobo is from the last year, you should be good on that front.

The device does some processing (as well as passthrough which is awesome) and recording the raw footage doesn't take too much processing power. However, write speed to your drive of choice (SSD/HDD/whatever, usually a RAID setup) is highly important, especially if you'd like to do anything higher than 720. SATAIII is a must.

For streaming, the processor (and some of the video card) is what gets hit the hardest, since you're taking that raw footage and doing on the fly encoding and editing (overlays, cam, whatever). RAM shouldn't be an issue. I've got 24GB and Xsplit has never actively taken more than like 1.5.

Yeah, it's native USB3 to the mobo, not via a card. I have a single 128GB SATA3 SSD. I know I need to go to raid if I'm doing recording for editing/playback later most likely, I just mostly need it for streaming at the moment.

Is there any specific reason it's not replaced by the Plasma Launcher in Halo 4?

Because it's an awesome weapon that's fun to use. There are better ways to balance things than just removing them... This mentality kills me!

The Halo 4 Spartan Laser is not the Halo 3 Spartan Laser.

Thank you! Now for the Forerunner 'Nade Launcher ;]

But seriously, pass along this idea if you like it regarding the Sticky Detonator:

-Hold R-Trigger for Remote Detonation
-Press R-Trigger for Proximity Mine

When there has been far better weapons at doing that job, yes there is. The Laser in Reach was redundant with the Rockets and Plasma Launcher. You only "needed" it to take down the Banshee, which was over-powered and broken, so it obviously isn't standard.

The Rockets and Plasma Launcher are better at taking down vehicles? Must've missed that memo ;b

BigShow36

i really miss bungie's way of handling things.

I don't. Bungie was just as bad, if not worse, than 343 is. Halo developers like to think that MP details are some uber confidential secrets that need to be held tightly to their chest.

Can't let your fanbase know what they're actually buying, oh no!

It used to be cute when Bungie made games that were actually playable, but as the series degraded, it just got annoying.

u4iX

Our lord and saviour returns.

How is it balanced in Halo 4

4 Shots?
Different Charge Period?
Ordnance Drop only?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, tough guy.

What are you... a GAME DESIGNER or something? No need for you to be asking all these "big boy" questions.

You'll be happy to see the new trailer of two infant children miles away from civilization gazing up at the stars pondering questions far outside their philosophical ages. That should distract you long enough from these types of questions.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Whoa, whoa, whoa, tough guy.

What are you... a GAME DESIGNER or something? No need for you to be asking all these "big boy" questions.

You'll be happy to see the new trailer of two infant children miles away from civilization gazing up at the stars pondering questions far outside their philosophical ages. That should distract you long enough from these types of questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8

Striker

Because it's an awesome weapon that's fun to use. There are better ways to balance things than just removing them... This mentality kills me!
When there has been far better weapons at doing that job, yes there is. The Laser in Reach was redundant with the Rockets and Plasma Launcher. You only "needed" it to take down the Banshee, which was over-powered and broken, so it obviously isn't standard.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't. Bungie was just as bad, if not worse, than 343 is. Halo developers like to think that MP details are some uber confidential secrets that need to be held tightly to their chest.

Or they're in polish, balance and flux and we don't want BigShow getting attached to an arbitrary number out of context. Because that actually happens. There are full grown adults in here flipping out about things leaked from a build they know has already changed and that was never designed for public facing visibility in the first place.

There are only ever two reasons for secrecy: Schedules and flux.

Anyway. SoOn.

Or they're in polish, balance and flux and we don't want BigShow getting attached to an arbitrary number out of context. Because that actually happens. There are full grown adults in here flipping out about things leaked from a build they know has already changed and that was never designed for public facing visibility in the first place.

Anyway. Soon. <--also wrote this first and changed it to SoOn.. messing with everyone? lol

GG HaloGAF.

Yea Laser is fun. Blasting a Warthog and watching a million medals pop up and the game didnt even know what to do in Halo 3 was always great times.

u4iX

Anyway. SoOn.

You can always talk about design philosophies and why decisions are being made.

Able to wield the pistol while flag running, why the change, looking to make people want to hold objectives instead of just slaying, was it a problem with previous games, noticed a trend in Reach data in objective games, because of low populated playlists in Reach?

We know that the classes are "to customize your spartan to your own playstyle," but why in 343i's eyes was that not capable in the past without the class system?

I know I certainly had a playstyle in Halo 2 as more of a wait back and support player, but I didn't need extra BR ammo or faster shield recharge to play that way.

I just casted a tournament that started with 4 different POVs but due to techinical problems and the cost of running up to 8 POVs with equipment, ended up being only 1 POV with game audio by Sunday where we pulled 1.8k viewers for a tournament put together in 2 weeks.

Yet people still don't understand why a Spectator Mode can help?

Then just to pour some perfectly timed salt into the wound, Black Ops 2 has a spectator mode with BUILT IN overlays with scores and player names, then they have the BALLS to put shoutcasting from hastr0 into their MP reveal trailer.

In the mean time, Halo fans get excited just because you guys dropped the word "competitive" in when talking about how you design maps.

PJSalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom