• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

The thing is that it doesn't have to be a full-blow mode. Just make it so people can switch between all the perspectives and you're practically done. Even just something like that would be a tremendous help for people who want to stream tournaments and LANs. And it would also be great for all the people watching the streams of these events.

If their "bandwidth issues" are because they're using resources for something like a live action film instead of working on their actual game, color me a super sad panda.

I'd actually argue that a spectator mode would help sell a game more two or three years into the future than a live action promo would on initial release.

Falagard

THEY ALREADY SAID THEY DON'T HAVE THE BANDWIDTH, LIKE A MILLION TIMES.

Yes I've read that.

Did they mean that a spectator mode would take up too much bandwidth (networking) or that they don't have the internal resources?

Because from what I've read it sounded like "spectator mode is a bandwidth hog" from a networking perspective.

And I'm saying it doesn't need to be. Especially with cloud computing, where they could definitely come up with a cost effective solution to the problem.

kylej

Banned
Sorry if this general knowledge - simply wanted to clarify. When 343 said they don't have the "bandwidth" for spectator mode. I'm pretty confident they're talking about internal/development resources. Not that the game couldn't handle the bandwidth.

Actually I'll go further - Here's my thinking on why we won't get a bunch of innovative MP special features.

343 MUST nail Halo4. If they don't create an outstanding Halo experience, reviewers will be quick to shit on them for falling short of Bungie's iterations. 343 knows this. Big shoes to fill - per say.

So what is Halo? It's not spectator mode. It's not clan rankings or whatever other features the wrongfully titled "vocal minority" are asking for. 343 would rather use their bandwidth (see: development resources) to spend time improving and polishing Campaign/Spartan Ops and multiplayer to ensure a good Halo game. I don't blame them.

But you better believe - Once Halo4 sells well and 343 is trusted with the Halo franchise, Halo 5 will start to branch out with some of the original requests we've made.

Why strive for meeting basic expectations and mediocrity when you can go above and beyond? 343 is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Microsoft in charge of one of the biggest video game franchises in history. It's time for parts of the Halo community to stop lapping up the "we need to focus on [x], we can't do [x], we don't have enough resources for [x]" excuses.

Halo 4 should have locked 30fps at the very least, full spectator mode and competitive trappings to go with it, a real map editor not a grey lego simulation, at least as many maps as Halo 2, the OPTION to customize your control scheme and whatever else you want that doesn't impact anyone else's enjoyment of the game, the OPTION to choose what gametype you want to play instead of being wedged into specific playlists, and more.

After 3 or 4 years of dev time, getting a boner because (an outsourced) Forge has object magnetization and slightly better lighting is absurd.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If their "bandwidth issues" are because they're using resources for something like a live action film instead of working on their actual game, color me a super sad panda.

I'd actually argue that a spectator mode would help sell a game more two or three years into the future than a live action promo would on initial release.

The actors should really be at their desks coding away...

lol :p

I want a PC client for spectator mode. That would be better than anything the console could do.

So salty. Yeah, go tell the actor from Narnia to develop feature X for Halo 4.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK TASHI?!?!?!

neoism

When did Bungie put up an actual survey for beta testing? I remember when I signed up for it a year or so ago that you just clicked confirm and you were in. Oh well, I just reapplied, hopefully I can get into Destiny still.

yeah I did it earlier awhile but also did it the first time a year or so ago.... you get disqualified or something if you do it more than once... :/

u4iX

Yes I've read that.

Did they mean that a spectator mode would take up too much bandwidth (networking) or that they don't have the internal resources?

Because from what I've read it sounded like "spectator mode is a bandwidth hog" from a networking perspective.

And I'm saying it doesn't need to be. Especially with cloud computing, where they could definitely come up with a cost effective solution to the problem.

I was just kinda trolling 343 at this point because you've managed to give us more information about a spectator mode in about 5 sentences.

Basically, bringing up the fact we haven't gotten a straight answer from them.

Then I get some non-sense response from Frankie after bringing up good points.

Eh, happens I guess.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So salty. Yeah, go tell the actor from Narnia to develop feature X for Halo 4.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK TASHI?!?!?!

Hoped you'd see I was talking about the money to create a movie, and instead using that money to pay people to make spectator mode, improve forge mode, theater mode, you know... the game they're making.

FyreWulff

Well, I know what I'm using for Halo 4's Microsoft Glass feature. Blackmagic box for scale. This thing is five feet away from where I'm sitting
and is my roommate's

WipvE.jpg

I just got a 14,000+ cR game of Grifball (6000+ performance alone)... is this... typical?

Yeah, Grifball has impressive cR payouts.

PR in H1 had freeze, same with the PP, so I think I can get away with them being different.

The Needler in H1 was pointless, so it gets it's own category.

In later Halos, you'd be right. The Needler is different.
Fair enough on these points even though I disagree about the Needler in Halo 1, but that's besides the larger point of what I was making.

Here's what I had a problem with:
However, we've yet to see exactly how it'll function in H4.
By your own admission we don't know what the Needler's role is in Halo 4, yet in your earlier post you seem to equate its role to the AR. I don't know if you've played Halo 4, but the way I read your post – given that it was in response to a zoojoo's post about redundant sandboxes and how you lumped the weapons into certain categories – you seemed to be criticizing Halo 4 for unknown quantities 343 has yet to reveal or hasn't shown enough of. I think that's unfair.

If I am or have been misreading your post, I completely apologize. But that's the way I read it.
I totally agree, although from what has been played, the Storm does seem a bit redundant. But of course until we find out more we can't be certain.
I never said, from what we've been show, Halo 4's sandbox was without redundancies. Just that there are plenty of varied weapons in the sandbox.

Nowise10

Yeah, because the people who could code and develope that stuff are actually directing Foward Unto Dawn.

/sarcasm.

No spectator mode. You'll live through it. Trust me.

EDIT* read your response. You can't just keep adding in game elements in anyway. They have a deadline. They need to get the game done. Well go off Bungies airplane. You cant keep adding onto that plane, because sooner or later, that plane will burn down and crash if you do.

Homeboyd

Yeah, because the people who could code and develope that stuff are actually directing Foward Unto Dawn.

/sarcasm.

Your name...

It's familiar. B.net or Waypoint? Or both?

You will be judged; preface.

/sarcasm.

The reason its important is it allows cool and extremely fun halo events to happen without investing thousands upon thousands of dollars. It is important. Not just competitive tournaments but LANs both competitive and just fooling around.

Overdoziz

Banned
The reason its important is it allows cool and extremely fun halo events to happen without investing thousands upon thousands of dollars. It is important.
What's the current setup for capturing 8 perspectives and being able to switch between them? Don't you need a PC with cap card for each 360?

/sarcasm.

I think the point was more that the money used to hire people for the live action series could've been used towards the production of a Spectator Mode + other things. Either way, I wouldn't have used the live action series in this example because I believe that's been long overdue for tons of fans.

DID ANYONE GET INVITED TO TEST DESTINY?!
No, and it appears my survey was erased. Filled it out again.
10 maps, 3 forge envinronments, possibly pre-made Forge variants. That ain't a bad thing. As long as those variants are good, unlike the shit Bungie gave us.

EDIT oh, no Forge maps in MM? Hmm. Why make 3 forge worlds then?
So people can forge on them.
I don't know anything about game developing or whatever it involves so don't rage at this post:
How come CoD can have both 60fps, and spectator mode? Is it because their graphics are crap, or there aren't as many explosions going on at once? Or is it something else like 343 has money issues?

(Yes I know 343 shouldn't have money issues as they're being pretty much sponsered by Microsoft).

343 is not sponsored by Microsoft, 343 is Microsoft. They are a branch of the Microsoft Game Studios division.

kylej

Banned
The reason its important is it allows cool and extremely fun halo events to happen without investing thousands upon thousands of dollars. It is important. Not just competitive tournaments but LANs both competitive and just fooling around.

Sorry. Too many deadlines, not enough resources. It's Good Enough™.

Nowise10

I think the point was more that the money used to hire people for the live action series could've been used towards the production of a Spectator Mode + other things. Either way, I wouldn't have used the live action series in this example because I believe that's been long overdue for tons of fans.

This also. Only "pros" and try-hards (sorry, only word I could come up with) would benefit from spectator mode. I'f I wanted to watch a game of someone play to learn, I'll go look at there films they have in there Fileshare, or just look on YouTube.

I think a movie is ALOT better. Lots of fans have been wanting one since who knows how long.. Plus, it helps 343 and Microsoft get Halo out there.

Jelly of the Cintiq.

Also, why do they actually let you play with Moderate or Strict NAT. Can't they just say something like hey go fix your shit? Seems like my lag is horrendous whenever I go into Moderate NAT like I am now. I keep forgetting to fix my stuff and I keep ending up with terrible games.

This also. Only "pros" and try-hards (sorry, only word I could come up with) would benefit from spectator mode.

Here I was ready to eat you alive lol.. but then you said this:

If I wanted to watch a game of someone play to learn, I'll go look at there films they have in there Fileshare, or just look on YouTube.

Nice save. Hopefully this post stops others from hating on the first part of what you just said hahah - If they have XBL, they have internet, and they also have YouTube/access to teh worldz.

I think a movie is ALOT better. Lots of fans have been wanting one since who knows how long.. Plus, it helps 343 and Microsoft get Halo out there.

Agreed, which is why I think u4ix chose a bad example with the live action series alongside an otherwise valid point :]

Havok

What's the current setup for capturing 8 perspectives and being able to switch between them? Don't you need a PC with cap card for each 360?
I can't speak for MLG, but a lot of big budget broadcasts use tricasters--basically a big media workstation device that takes all the inputs and lets you switch the active one and add overlays. Which is a multi-thousand dollar investment. On top of the gameplay splitting from consoles and the capture/broadcast solution you'd also have to make sure it can support 8 inputs for the consoles and the camera on the commentators, as well as the mic inputs separate from game audio.

It honestly seems like a logistical nightmare.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This is not how anything, let alone game development, works.

u4iX

8 TVs and XBOXs with multiple HDMI splitters that go to your capturing devices, then splitters from your PC/capturing device that allows for the commentators to see what people on stream are seeing, so they know when the camera is on them, on commercial, and what POV is being shown on stream.

Then, you have more splitters that split the POVs to to 2 screens showing the 4v4 Red/Blue POVs simultaneously to your casters to commentate off of.

You also then have overlays, sound mixing, and all that jazz usually with a team off 4 behind the scenes running it.

I'm sure there's WAY more that I just don't know about as well.
553309_10151460136255457_350498605_n.jpg

This also. Only "pros" and try-hards (sorry, only word I could come up with) would benefit from spectator mode. I'f I wanted to watch a game of someone play to learn, I'll go look at there films they have in there Fileshare, or just look on YouTube.

...You DO realize that MLG was bringing in millions of dollars back when Halo was their flagship game, right? It's not like people aren't affected by this. Just because you have a negative view of professional players doesn't mean that you get to dismiss a multi-million dollar industry that would be greatly benefitted by a spectator mode.

FyreWulff

Jelly of the Cintiq.

Also, why do they actually let you play with Moderate or Strict NAT. Can't they just say something like hey go fix your shit? Seems like my lag is horrendous whenever I go into Moderate NAT like I am now. I keep forgetting to fix my stuff and I keep ending up with terrible games.

Because IPv4.

We need to be IPv6 like yesterday

daedalius

Well, I know what I'm using for Halo 4's Microsoft Glass feature. Blackmagic box for scale. This thing is five feet away from where I'm sitting
and is my roommate's

WipvE.jpg

Yeah, Grifball has impressive cR payouts.

My Cintiq 12WX is pathetic in scale to that

sadface

Would love to get one of those.

Allocating money and resources to various areas of development is not how anything works? ..or were you agreeing with me?

He isn't agreeing with you.

Nowise10

...You DO realize that MLG was bringing in millions of dollars back when Halo was their flagship game, right? It's not like people aren't affected by this. Just because you have a negative view of professional players doesn't mean that you get to dismiss a multi-million dollar industry that would be greatly benefitted by a spectator mode.

So you are saying Halo would be MLGs main game (there flagship game), just because there was a spectator mode? I respect the pro's, I'm just saying, this really doesn't affect how the game plays, or anything.

Maybe in Halo 5 if you bug 343 enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom