• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

What three custom options did you have in mind?

So then what is the official reason for why spectator mode is not in halo 4?

They've already stated it as bandwidth issue, there's been rumbles of maybe post launch but right now it's polishing time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

My guess is, "Hey let's do this this and this and have the game out by November 6th" Spectator mode was probably a this but then got cut.

Akai__

I don't think any of us have really thought about it, but what if halo 4 is worse than reach? Wth would we do?

I made a topic about this in Waypoint a few months ago. However, people there were just mad. They didn't understand or didn't wanted to understand, that there is a small chance, that Halo 4 could be a flop. I was trying to discuss it politely, but you can't do that on Waypoint, with all those silly arguements like; "Have you played the game"/"please borrow me your copy, if you are finnished" etc.

But like I said, if Halo 4 is going to be bad, it is going to be just like it is for Reach now.

Other budgets aren't taken or withheld from game development budgets. And budgets aren't necessarily barriers to technology. Etc etc.

In short, nobody is robbing Peter to pay Paul, tehcnically or fiscally.

Yup, noted. FyreWulf summed that up for me before :] The confusion was from how some of us believed that since you guys are in charge of everything Halo, we thought that also included the budget in its entirety with game development mixed in, instead of its own entity.

Technically no.

But they did say grifball would be supported.

Forerunner Hammer anyone? That club some of the Promethean Knights are shown holding could be it!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

There are about 100 technical reasons, lots to do with networking and perf and all above my technical paygrade to explain.

Computron

Frankie, I am not sure you will be able to answer, but:
Will their be any technical 343 presentations at any upcoming events like siggraph or GDC?

I asked Corrinne about siggraph, and she says she is attending/judging but it don't think she is presenting anything.
I thought she had something planned a while back, maybe it didn't work out.

I hope 343 will share soon, I don't remember anything releasing for H:CE Anniversary.

BigShow36

Without knowing the exact details of how Halo 4's systems work, I can't say exactly. However, here's what was needed in the past few Halo's and what I anticipate will be needed in Halo 4.

• Movement Acceleration (aka strafe speed)
  • Damage Slider, not these arbitrary random percentages
  • Aim Assist Slider

Even without the Aim Assist modifier, we could get by with the first two options and make a great game. Like I said earlier though, there are a lot of other, smaller, things that could be changed for the better, but if we're going with a minimalist request...

Swarmerr

I made a topic about this in Waypoint a few months ago. However, people there were just mad. They didn't understand or didn't wanted to understand, that there is a small chance, that Halo 4 could be a flop. I was trying to discuss it politely, but you can't do that on Waypoint, with all those silly arguements like; "Have you played the game"/"please borrow me your copy, if you are finnished" etc.

But like I said, if Halo 4 is going to be bad, it is going to be just like it is for Reach now.

Waypoint is interesting... It boils down to if you do not absolutely love halo 4 and reach you are automatically wrong. Not all posters are like this but many are. I also find it funny how many of these lovers of halo reach (on waypoint) anoint themselves to be the majority when the reality is much different once you leave waypoint. Meaning that there are a lot more people that have problems with reach than they would lead you to believe.

Without knowing the exact details of how Halo 4's systems work, I can't say exactly. However, here's what was needed in the past few Halo's and what I anticipate will be needed in Halo 4.

• Movement Acceleration (aka strafe speed)
  • Damage Slider, not these arbitrary random percentages
  • Aim Assist Slider

Even without the Aim Assist modifier, we could get by with the first two options and make a great game. Like I said earlier though, there are a lot of other, smaller, things that could be changed for the better, but if we're going with a minimalist request...

Is damage slider the same as individual weapon modifier??

There are about 100 technical reasons, lots to do with networking and perf and all above my technical paygrade to explain.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Hopefully the people with the technical expertise will be able to solve these problems for a halo 4 patch.

Hey Frankie,

I hate to be direct, but have you guys come up with a competitive ranking system for H4?

That's the only piece of information I really care about and have been lurking long for an answer

I am behind this man 100% but am afraid I am pushing my luck seeing how you have already given a direct response to my earlier question.

Blissful

Neo Member
Hey Frankie,

I hate to be direct, but have you guys come up with a competitive ranking system for H4?

That's the only piece of information I really care about and have been lurking long for an answer

GhaleonEB

I don't think any of us have really thought about it, but what if halo 4 is worse than reach? Wth would we do?
I'll entertain this question when it's no longer a hypothetical. Just based on what we've seen, Halo 4 has a stronger core to work from. My worry about multiplayer is that it's going to be like one of those cakes made with a thin layer of moist tasty cake, and waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much frosting. Some people love that, but I don't. But I'm sure as heck going to taste it first to find out.

Havent you said this before? I think you've said this before.

Well, we're still talking about it.

David Vonderhaar
‏@DavidVonderhaar
I love break down videos. I love how wrong they are. I will clarify one thing of your choice from the video in 45 minutes. Ask away.
7:12 PM - 7 Aug 12

https://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar/status/232992763870842880

That is not Halo.

Swarmerr

I was just saying a universal modifier, but obviously individual modifiers would be ideal.

Wouldn't we still run into the same problems with a universal modifier where a sniper would become a 1 shot kill or rockets and grenades would become too powerful?

I am also guessing that individual weapon modifiers are very unlikely, too bad :/

u4iX

That is not Halo.

We've been talking about getting new information on 343i and if you've been following the thread at all I've made several posts comparing Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 based on the features competitive gamers have been asking for.

Now, Treyarch makes a direct tweet allowing one question to be answered from the video about anything new shown.

Must be nice to have all that bandwidth.

We've been talking about getting new information on 343i and if you've been following the thread at all I've made several posts comparing Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 based on the features competitive gamers have been asking for.

Now, Treyarch makes a direct tweet allowing one question to be answered from the video about anything new shown.

How many podcasts do Treyarch record? Do they maintain a weekly newsletter?

Also they are clarifying stuff they have officially released. You know damn well we get that treatment in these very threads too.

u4iX

How many podcasts do Treyarch record? Do they maintain a weekly newsletter?

Also they are clarifying stuff they have officially released. You know damn well we get that treatment in these very threads too.

I'm just saying how it was relevant, man.

Chill.

FyreWulff

So I'm getting no video in the BMS's preview app and passthrough ain't showing nothing.

.. the 360's output isn't HDCP protected, is it?

GhaleonEB

OT posts are common here, but most gaming discussion is at least tangentially connected to Halo. At the very least, you should provide some context when dropping things in. I thought that was Halo 4 related, clicked through to see who he was, then found it was for Black Ops.

Not sure what point if any you are making.

BigShow36

Wouldn't we still run into the same problems with a universal modifier where a sniper would become a 1 shot kill or rockets and grenades would become too powerful?

I am also guessing that individual weapon modifiers are very unlikely, too bad :/

I think the primary issue with that was because we didn't have a slider, only those default values. Instead of just pushing the damage to make a 4sk DMR, we had to bump it up 125%, which ruined the rest of the sandbox. A health modifier would have also helped.

Like I said, it depends on exactly how Halo 4 is set up, which I don't know at this point. I will say that it looked like the Halo 4 DMR and BR both took exactly 4 shots to remove the full shield, meaning if you bump up the damage 1% and there is bleedthrough, you get a 4sk.

OT posts are common here, but most gaming discussion is at least tangentially connected to Halo. At the very least, you should provide some context when dropping things in. I thought that was Halo 4 related, clicked through to see who he was, then found it was for Black Ops.

The past 3 pages have been discussion about how CoD devs compare to Halo devs. There was also a link to the BloPs2 MP vid. Its a pretty obvious connection.

343 doesn't need defenders guys, they're big boys.

a zoojoo

Banned
So... why does Blops 2 have it?

That's not a serious question. Right?

Halo and COD use completely different engines. And if you haven't noticed, it look like shit. They're not too worried about the quality of the game, as long as they can give their fanboys boners.

Have you seen the multiplayer video for that game? It looks terrible graphically, so maybe since they weren't busy overhauling the engine they could add little things like spectator mode.

Not to mention it is still the same game as it has been since COD4.
Perks, guns, attachments, equipment, killstreaks.

Frankie and David have been fielding community questions and concerns for months.

Chill and sip some coffee u4ix, all will be swell in no time.
And if not, revolt

I'm just saying how it was relevant, man.

Chill.

Nerd chills.

Can you at least answer my relevant questions then? If indeed that dude's tweet is relevant, how does that differ from Frankie or most other 343 employee's answers about content they've officially released (Note: Going into more detail than simply announcing something)?

Swarmerr

So... why does Blops 2 have it?

Stopppppp, your going to scare away the frankie. It is a rare creature and is known to frequent the neogaf forums. On rare occasions it has been spotted in a desolate place called halowaypoint. Negativity is its enemy and will be the precursor to its swift and quiet retreat back to...

Is it possible to go insane on lack of halo 4 information.. I kid lol

In all seriousness I don't understand how frankie stands to answer one question on here because 10 questions are sure to follow. That being said I await the day all questions are answered.

I think the primary issue with that was because we didn't have a slider, only those default values. Instead of just pushing the damage to make a 4sk DMR, we had to bump it up 125%, which ruined the rest of the sandbox. A health modifier would have also helped.

Like I said, it depends on exactly how Halo 4 is set up, which I don't know at this point. I will say that it looked like the Halo 4 DMR and BR both took exactly 4 shots to remove the full shield, meaning if you bump up the damage 1% and there is bleedthrough, you get a 4sk

I got what your saying now. I know asking for a universal damage slider is more realistic but man ohh man would it be sweet to have an individual weapon damage modifier. Even better think if you could change clip size, reload time, scope intensity and more on each individual weapon. Just thinking of the possibilities gives me nerd chills.

GhaleonEB

Nerd chills.

Can you at least answer my relevant questions then? If indeed that dude's tweet is relevant, how does that differ from Frankie or most other 343 employee's answers about content they've officially released (Note: Going into more detail than simply announcing something)?

I find this conversation amusing, given that it's taking place on a forum where 343 folks post with clarifications and additional information with frequency.

u4iX

For the last 5 pages we've been comparing community involvement, the implementation of things like spectator mode and ranks into Black Ops and not Halo 4, and the things it takes to stream Halo 4 in a tournament/professional/event based setting and why it's such a big deal for Black Ops, even though it's for a niche community. Posts like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40732953&postcount=9461

Frankie has been posting about why there's not a spectator mode in Halo 4 as well, and we've been discussing how spectator modes are possible on console.

Things like keeping us up to date on the development of Halo 4 in a more personal way, like the Halo 3 vidocs, and now Treyarch will be answering specific community questions regarding their new video.

Glad to catch you up and I'm sorry I wasted your time by making you click on a link about Call of Duty.

Nerd chills.

For example, we still don't know if the "bandwidth" issue is actually bandwidth or just resources. We were never given a straight answer.

Overdoziz

Banned
Are you talking about a full-blown spectator mode or just a simple spectator mode where you can switch between all perspectives on LAN in custom games? Because I can imagine the latter being much easier to implemented and would cost a lot less resources.

I really don't see why outdated information would be of interest. Especially when we never even got anything solid either.
Better than nothing. I don't care if it's outdated as fuck, I actually love watching very early builds footage, such a shame we didn't really get a BTS with any of these.

kylej

Banned
Things like keeping us up to date on the development of Halo 4 in a more personal way, like the Halo 3 vidocs, and now Treyarch will be answering specific community questions regarding their new video.

Glad to catch you up and I'm sorry I wasted your time by making you click on a link about Call of Duty.

How dare you interrupt Ghaleon's sweet posts about what he's doing on vacation.

That's not a serious question. Right?

Halo and COD use completely different engines. And if you haven't noticed, it look like shit. They're not too worried about the quality of the game, as long as they can give their fanboys boners.

I don't care about different engines. It's called feature parity. Matching the competition and besting them is a cornerstone of every industry. When the Saab 99 came out, car companies didn't go "Oh golly gee wilikers our car doesn't have a turbo, oh well!" They made that shit happen because they had to keep up.

Won't viewing other player's first person POV in spectator mode not actually be a good representation of what they see on their screen. I suppose the latency is minimal in tournaments where everyone is connected through LAN, but it is for this reason that I dislike killcams in COD.

Woorloog

Banned
Better than nothing. I don't care if it's outdated as fuck, I actually love watching very early builds footage, such a shame we didn't really get a BTS with any of these.

Footage is nice, regardless of the build, when it is actually longer than a few second pieces.

Noricart

Yo forging is hard. That is all.

All you do is throw some grey pieces around, don't see what's hard. I mean, that is how those other forge maps got into matchmaking.

Edit: This thread is nothing but a melting pot of apathy. We need news within the week!
the worst part of forge is making symmetrical maps. i would kill for a grouping and duplicating groups function.
Doesn't help that the Grid sucks and that the coordinates don't line up a lot of objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom