• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And 2 games later we still get AR starts on Highlands.
Bungie has always been absolutely horrible at combining gametypes with maps. And Objective gametypes haven't been decent since Halo 2.

As I say that I get ShWATguns in Team SWAT.
Shaking my head Bungie.

ShWATguns was the best though.

Google Docs massacre.

Create google docs account open for anyone to edit with the noble goal of creating a unified list of questions simply formatted so that 343 if they wanted to could easily and quickly see what the community wanted to hear about...

3...2...1... trolls attack it.

big img dump. just took these, was reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyy bored.

Weapon symbols.
iihrfcU85TsP.JPG

iC5aBr5pVOgrE.JPG

iAYkDheTADZim.JPG

ibgsRdCTmYwNow.JPG

ibxkn3pKYI5awa.JPG

iblcjAWnyGcUlX.JPG

iAX0ew3JmS20Z.JPG

iMss5QL7qOUtl.JPG

icWfhTzmduw1k.JPG

in6WzIc4xrFzM.JPG

iSfDMjcgxLE6B.JPG

iniCzpUUSSGhs.JPG

armor abilities
idkLWu2HhF8zN.JPG

iVW53O2EsJsPF.JPG

iBvz3XCwxvjDk.JPG

medals
ifFCu17rpY9fr.JPG

kill, and ordinance medal

i6HuuZfnlsnvv.JPG

railgun kill medal

iz6dOcQMDRGSH.JPG

vehicle kill, and lazer kill medal

iyns73DuumS3k.JPG

assist

ibcII54NpPY0C.JPG

kill and killing spree

ibluPTouFGbGgG.JPG

killjoy

iHLOLiyqTafB6.JPG

snipe, invincible

ibd8Ut2I5MJYVp.JPG

killing spree again

ibbVSDLFrIynQK.JPG

kill, headshot spree?, dont know

ibsKdLbgGJzwwz.JPG

headshot, double kill

iyyOoaAQMf7Vm.JPG

headshot spree, dont know, bead down

iQMxCIyck2qdu.JPG

vehicle kill, kill, headcase?

iblWYPEXlw2WtV.JPG

snapshot, snipe

i9fmwUysoRfpk.JPG

rocket kill

etc.
ighqC4sROuRXv.JPG

iy3TyiK2xJikg.JPG

ibuyA1gpLKgMGY.JPG

ie6ToMcMYwnZN.JPG

iF0JnMfvwsoF9.JPG

iXf5se3HOHPWY.JPG

nillapuddin

Looks like it might be, but the top one still looks like it has an extra back piece and an extra front piece. Maybe it is the same gun and they just altered the design or something.

actually, i want to believe its a smg, i thought it at first also, idk why im trying to shoot you down.

i hope we are right, smg would be cool

big img dump

love the medals, really interested what AA's will turn out to look like

I really like all the Halo 4 medals and how they appear on screen. Look like they added some damn color to them.

Now if we can only get rid of that text

Overdoziz

Banned
I really like all the Halo 4 medals and how they appear on screen. Look like they added some damn color to them.

Wish they weren't transparent and so toned down. The medals in previous Halos really stood out and were easy to recognize.

So, I snapped a few more pics of the Pro-Pistol from the HD UNSC video.. I do believe this is what I mistook as an SMG before.. Ah well.

6Y7UT.png

OTprF.png

MKwvr.png

Jsny3.png

jeIL8.png

mkHl0.png

I still say it reminds me of this:

C9afB.jpg

You hated Armor Lock because it's fucking bullshit.

That's what you were screaming, admit it. You'd have meticulously dropped someone's shields, or waltzed around a corner with the rocket (read: portable nuke) launcher, and just as you let that killing round fly... bzzzap. Nope. And what flew from your mouth?

"Fucking bullshit."

The problem with Armor Lock was complicated; a lot of factors were at play. People labelled it a "pause button" for combat, a get out of jail card for bad play, and so on and so forth, and I don't really want to get into all the reasons it sucked. But an important part of the frustration it induced was that the pause button it hammered down was suddenly and disturbingly unexpected.

There is a narrative in your head in the kinds of situations described above, drilled into you by hundreds if not thousands of hours of play (hint: it's "I'm winning this fight"), and Armor Lock just rips up the script. You knew what should have happened, and yet something outside of your control, something barely inside the other player's control ("press button to not die"), cancelled it in an instant. No fair. Bullshit.

Sure, we want games to be unpredictable to a certain extent. But we want that unpredictability to be introduced by human action. We want someone to strafe a way we didn't expect, and then pull out a perfect four-shot with their shield already down while we fumbled for the headshot. We want them to skip a grenade so sweetly into our teeth that we shake our head in admiration, not rage. We want them to take off our head with a no-scope when we so nearly had them, damn it ... so why are we smiling? Because those deaths were our fault, and theirs. That's what we tell ourselves -- that if we could do it again we could do something better, crouch that little bit sooner, pull up our reticle that little bit faster... next time, next time. Respawn, fail again, fail better.

Armor Lock is from that dark hell of gameplay where it seems like there wasn't anything to be done. Sure, we could have found out from our teammates that our enemy had Armor Lock at the press of his thumb, but we still have to play along, still have to shoot him knowing that... bzzzap. Nope. We did everything right, and we still didn't get the appropriate result, because there was a joker in the pack, and we got trumped.

Now I want to paint a nightmare scenario. This is scaremongering, of course, but... Halo 4 potentially has one hundred jokers in its pack. One hundred little Armor Locks hidden away in some frightful combination of weapon and armor and loadout and circumstances and whatever else. One hundred little moments of unconquerable frustration -- none of them nearly as extreme or blatantly 'bullshit' as Armor Lock, obviously, but still irritating in aggregate -- when someone does something you couldn't predict unless you treat every encounter as open and unknowable. Unless you go into every fight with your shoulders shrugged, expecting anything. Meanwhile, you don't know how many rounds are in his gun, how many grenades he can throw, how long it takes his shields to recharge, how he's even going to move. Often you won't know what rabbit he can pull out of the hat next, because it didn't come from the field of play; it came from the start menu. You'll do your best, but quite often you will lose your life, your streak, your game when the die your opponent rolls comes up with seven pips.

Unpredictable opponents are fun; unpredictable systems are not. There's a reason chess is regarded as the purest game of skill: all the pieces are showing. In Halo, you should be able, ideally, to approach a situation with your eyes open and your wits about you and your thumbs twitching, and be confident you'll be beaten only by a better player, and not trumped by some shark repellent spray from their unknowable utility belt. Figuratively speaking.

I want so desperately to be wrong.

Very good, well thought out post. I am not opposed to the changes Halo 4 is bringing in, at least from what I know, but I have to agree with much of this.

BTW, if you want hi-quality version of UNSC weapons video

its on the press site

http://press.xbox360.com/product.asp?p=51

Thanks!

Cool, looking forward to whatever we may see.

Vire

Shame that the video uploaded to the Press site is the one with the god awful music.

Was hoping the weapon sound effects one would be on there.

I like it being transparent. Makes it look like they are part of the HUD UI.

That's what I like about 'em, like they're in the Spartan's helmet instead of inexplicable floating medals.

You'd think those Infinity programmers would know better then to put the text in the middle of his vision, though. That's gotta be unsafe.

Pop

Oh come on like that text is going to be a problem. Have you never played COD, don't even recognize the text when you're in game. This text talk is getting rather old.

I'm glad it's Bravo. Guy's youtube channel is the best around, hands down.
Yeah Bravo seems like good people, knows what he's talking about.

Except that time when he walked up to someone playing, told them the AR he just picked up shot "paper bullets" and the guy proceeding to tear a players a new asshole with the AR not 5 seconds later. Gave me a good laugh.
This is Bravo's second time being invited up to 343. Lucky guy.
And you've played the game at like 12 different events.
Much better in the recent build, Hated the first set.
Yeah they are better, but I still think they are pretty poor. They are so easily recognizable in Reach, I and I'm still not getting that at all from the new set. I'll get used to it though, not the end of the world.

as others have said, i hope the Promethean pistol is like a mauler equivalent. that was a really unique sidearm type weapon.
Considering it has 10 shots in the clip, I don't think it will be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
as others have said, i hope the Promethean pistol is like a mauler equivalent. that was a really unique sidearm type weapon.

^ pretty big blast and recoil makes me think it is.

could be weaker, but it doesn't seem the have very good range.

I personally enjoyed the Mauler.

B wzy

Neo Member

^ pretty big blast and recoil makes me think it is.

could be weaker, but it doesn't seem the have very good range.

It has 10 rounds though. Seems a little excessive for a CQB weapon.

Woorloog

Banned
didn't see it once in the video. unsc weapons don't EMP? well... not anymore :(

will probably see it in the promethean/covenant weapons video.

Yeah... still, i wish 343i could release images of all the medals.
Would like to know how the new EMP compares to the Reach's. If it is better, would like to have it in my avatar.

EDIT wonder how many avatar fads one can put to one avatar and still have a sensible avatar.

Aggrotek

Yeah... still, i wish 343i could release images of all the medals.
Would like to know how the new EMP compares to the Reach's. If it is better, would like to have it in my avatar.

EDIT wonder how many avatar fads one can put to one avatar and still have a sensible avatar.

Emp-ninja-chicken?

I liked Maulers except for the fact that you could do the one shot then melee trick.

It turned out, they were more effective (broken) as a single wielded weapon than dual.
Wait, do you like or not like the mauler? Because the mauler was all about the one shot + melee. That was like the weapon's whole purpose

The last bulletin was excellent.

And Frankie, your writing gave me inspiration, confidence, excitement, and all things good in what's in store you guys at 343Industries have for us. You all will bring millions of us pure joy and countless memorable life moments. Can't wait :)

Vire

Wait, do you like or not like the mauler? Because the mauler was all about the one shot + melee. That was like the weapon's whole purpose

Well, I mean I liked the sound effects of the gun and the design, but it basically encouraged campers.

I can't count the amount of times I got one shot + melee'd around a corner on Guardian from a guy hiding behind a wall.

The way I used it was fine though. :p

GhaleonEB

I have to say, for all my concerns about Multiplayer, hot damn are the visuals good. Every time there's an image dump - even small clipped images - it really highlights how well 343 has nailed the look, some design elements aside. Loving the bold colors, unobscured by grain filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom