• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HALOGAF

Iv put together a google document with the sole purpose of creating a streamlined easy to read and simple way of asking 343i your halo related questions, This is Obviously not a guaranteed way to get the question answered but i feel that if 343 have a simple way to view the questions that people have a greater likelihood exists of getting an actual answer.

Please spread this around the community, it should be open for anyone to edit.

Link

lol this thing is a shit show already.

Tawpgun

You hated Armor Lock because it's fucking bullshit.

That's what you were screaming, admit it. You'd have meticulously dropped someone's shields, or waltzed around a corner with the rocket (read: portable nuke) launcher, and just as you let that killing round fly... bzzzap. Nope. And what flew from your mouth?

"Fucking bullshit."

The problem with Armor Lock was complicated; a lot of factors were at play. People labelled it a "pause button" for combat, a get out of jail card for bad play, and so on and so forth, and I don't really want to get into all the reasons it sucked. But an important part of the frustration it induced was that the pause button it hammered down was suddenly and disturbingly unexpected.

There is a narrative in your head in the kinds of situations described above, drilled into you by hundreds if not thousands of hours of play (hint: it's "I'm winning this fight"), and Armor Lock just rips up the script. You knew what should have happened, and yet something outside of your control, something barely inside the other player's control ("press button to not die"), cancelled it in an instant. No fair. Bullshit.

Sure, we want games to be unpredictable to a certain extent. But we want that unpredictability to be introduced by human action. We want someone to strafe a way we didn't expect, and then pull out a perfect four-shot with their shield already down while we fumbled for the headshot. We want them to skip a grenade so sweetly into our teeth that we shake our head in admiration, not rage. We want them to take off our head with a no-scope when we so nearly had them, damn it ... so why are we smiling? Because those deaths were our fault, and theirs. That's what we tell ourselves -- that if we could do it again we could do something better, crouch that little bit sooner, pull up our reticle that little bit faster... next time, next time. Respawn, fail again, fail better.

Armor Lock is from that dark hell of gameplay where it seems like there wasn't anything to be done. Sure, we could have found out from our teammates that our enemy had Armor Lock at the press of his thumb, but we still have to play along, still have to shoot him knowing that... bzzzap. Nope. We did everything right, and we still didn't get the appropriate result, because there was a joker in the pack, and we got trumped.

Now I want to paint a nightmare scenario. This is scaremongering, of course, but... Halo 4 potentially has one hundred jokers in its pack. One hundred little Armor Locks hidden away in some frightful combination of weapon and armor and loadout and circumstances and whatever else. One hundred little moments of unconquerable frustration -- none of them nearly as extreme or blatantly 'bullshit' as Armor Lock, obviously, but still irritating in aggregate -- when someone does something you couldn't predict unless you treat every encounter as open and unknowable. Unless you go into every fight with your shoulders shrugged, expecting anything. Meanwhile, you don't know how many rounds are in his gun, how many grenades he can throw, how long it takes his shields to recharge, how he's even going to move. Often you won't know what rabbit he can pull out of the hat next, because it didn't come from the field of play; it came from the start menu. You'll do your best, but quite often you will lose your life, your streak, your game when the die your opponent rolls comes up with seven pips.

Unpredictable opponents are fun; unpredictable systems are not. There's a reason chess is regarded as the purest game of skill: all the pieces are showing. In Halo, you should be able, ideally, to approach a situation with your eyes open and your wits about you and your thumbs twitching, and be confident you'll be beaten only by a better player, and not trumped by some shark repellent spray from their unknowable utility belt. Figuratively speaking.

I want so desperately to be wrong.
Deserves to be fully quoted again.

Describes whats wrong with Reach and what looks to be wrong with Halo 4.

This is a great post. An amazing post. And I agree about the fear. But the specialization we heard about gave me not the impression of completely dominance in specific situation or the unknown factor, you spoke about. The reason is that the specialization does not give you any big special abilities like they did in CoD. The specialization/tactical package gives you a advantage, you'd have had in a normal Halo game too. A second primary weapon? Yeah. This advantage could happen in a normal game too. The guy has still a grenade? Yeah. Can happen, he hasn't thrown his grenade away at the beginning. He has more ammo? etc. Those stuff have no big impact of the fight between two players. Or at least I have this impression. (I can be totally wrong when I played the game for a month. And I fear I am totally wrong) The only concern is the Shield package. It gives you a significant advantage in a 1vs1.

And then we have still the unknown stuff...

Some abilities seem not that bad. But it depends how they're implemented.

If someone has the more ammo perk, and it only applies to loadout or even special weapons, I honestly don't give a shit. But when it applies to things like Rockets or Laser its a huge deal. I always try and keep track of how many rockets have been fired. Same thing with lasers in BTB. I could give a call out, "One shot on top red, one rocket left."

The shield recharge rate also worries me. It means someone can thrust pack into a corner, or hard light shield, and instead of it taking the normal amount of time to recharge, he starts recharging before me, pops back out and oneshots me.

Swarmerr

I can easily see myself flipping back and forth between BLOPS2 and Halo 4, however in the long run I know i'm going to be playing Halo more, unless Ranked BLOPS2 is well balanced and fairly competitive.
Honestly Ranked matchmaking is a pretty big deal believe it or not. A motivator for a lot of people, and starts some weird bonds and intense rivalries. Those who say that they can live without a ranking system are mad.
If there isn't a competent one for 4, no one will hope back on the game to strive to be better. Then, the game will be on comatose, like Reach.

I completely agree with all you have said.

Pop

Montain Dew Incoming marketplace

293189_10151076189615772_1145148068_n.jpg

OMG! Game Fuel is back baby... Midnight will be even sweeter

darthbob

I don't get all the dubstep hate. :(

There's good dubstep, and bad dubstep. There's more bad dubstep than good, and the bad seems to be more prevalent, which gives artists like Nero, Flux Pavillion, Knife Party, SubFocus, et. al bad names.

Anyways, just my 2¢.

Woorloog

Banned
Hopefully won't be plagued by cookiecutter builds. -_-

This is an issue with perk/loadout systems.
What did COD have (been a long time since i played it)? Stealth builds were pretty common, at least i favored it. Knife-running in MW2, Killstreak enhancing build in BLOPS.
Obviously perks/AAs/weapons will have synergy with each other, that's not a bad thing but there should be incentive to not make builds around that synergy.

SWORDS IN A RANKED FFA PLAYLIST
YOU ARE CRUSHING MY BALLS BUNGIE

I got once 5 Swords matches in row in Lone Wolves in Halo 3. Won them all.

I don't get all the dubstep hate. :(

Dubstep sounds so awful, take that cacophony away.

Aggrotek

There's good dubstep, and bad dubstep. There's more bad dubstep than good, and the bad seems to be more prevalent, which gives artists like Nero, Flux Pavillion, Knife Party, SubFocus, et. al bad names.

Anyways, just my 2¢.
I agree, but just because there are bands that suck within a genre does not mean the entire genre is devoid of all quality. If this was the case I wouldn't listen to Melodic Death Metal.

Dubstep sounds so awful, take that cacophony away.

How much Dubstep have you listened to? Have you given any of the bands darthbob mentioned a listen to?

Noricart

This is terrible. We should take turns writing an open letter or something.
I wonder what would happen if GAF wrote a novel, each chapter by a different member.

lol font 96 JETPACK

G17

The solution I think is to make a new link but make it only viewable to GAF members. Must a be lurker who is a troll.

GhaleonEB

I tried to post a serious question, but some anonymous user was deleting stuff and posting youtube links.

The internet is not a good place for non-gated collaborative editing.

Sai-kun

Banned
I agree, but just because there are bands that suck within a genre does not mean the entire genre is devoid of all quality. If this was the case I wouldn't listen to Melodic Death Metal.

How much Dubstep have you listened to? Have you given any of the bands darthbob mentioned a listen to?

I think Woorloog only listens to death metal and classical music.

pop music sux

I tried to post a serious question, but some anonymous user was deleting stuff and posting youtube links.

Its bullshit, iv got a back up of like 6 decent questions.

New Link

You wanna edit it you ask me in the comments section or another owner and they will grant permission, if you post shit its getting revoked. Try and get it so we have a few admins online so people can always post stuff.

I got a copy of all the questions asked so far

along with all the other bullshit that got spammed, but at least the legitimate content is there

Dug

Banned

All I wanted to know if the Mammoth will be in multiplayer. ;-;

G17

@StalkerUKCG Make a new document link only viewable for members. (ie. how we post beta codes) I think it'd get rid of the troll.

FyreWulff

Yeah.. if you want to create a controlled Google Doc, send me a PM :lol

Also, the thing about "weekend lists".. I'm not sure they work, anymore. It kinda did for Halo 3, but that was when you got 1 exp point for an entire game, and the population, and the playlists needed to be more focused. The downside to the DEXPs is they had to spend time being rigged and then deployed for each update, so it was essentially repeated work just to make sure something didn't explode each time you sent them out. If it was easy, then Halo 3 wouldn't have stopped it's DEXPs after Bungie had to move on to Reach.

There's also the other question that taking the lists away during the week may not lead to the population in other lists that one think may happen. I would venture to guess a significant number of those people that showed up for DEXPs only showed up on the weekend.

edit: as an example, when I was recording Halo 3 stats for a bit:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pcC7bWOCJrKDR_4xzZNxbCA&oid=3&output=image

You can basically see everything that isn't Slayer or Social Slayer stay fairly consistent as one block. The DEXP population shows up on the weekend records and mostly affects Social Slayer, but not much else.

Akai__

does your Gamestop a midnight release? Mine said, they were thinking about it.

Didn't expect this in Germany

No they won't. There was a midnight event once, when Burning Crusades was released for World of Warcraft and the guys destroyed half of the shopping mall. The manager said it was the 1st and the last time they would do this.

Don't get it why people do this. Like, why couldn't you do this peacefully?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom