• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the BR to be a four shot so that it's possible to get 3 kills in one clip. I want the DMR to have a 15 shot clip for the same reason. The difference is that I don't usually start a 5 page meltdown because of it. We have been told all of these things will be explained in an upcoming podcast; personally, I don't believe they can provide me with a truly convincing reason the DMR has 14 shots, but since I'm not a childish asshole, I'll wait to be angry until after I listen to the explanation.

Myyke

Neo Member
More importantly, the self shadows on the guns seem to be gone. :'(

I think that they might still be there - the (fairly intense) light source on haven is right behind the player in the conan gif, whereas on Longbow the main light source appears to be in front and above.

Woorloog

Banned
I want the BR to be a four shot so that it's possible to get 3 kills in one clip. I want the DMR to have a 15 shot clip for the same reason. The difference is that I don't usually start a 5 page meltdown because of it. We have been told all of these things will be explained in an upcoming podcast; personally, I don't believe they can provide me with a truly convincing reason the DMR has 14 shots, but since I'm not a childish asshole, I'll wait to be angry until after I listen to the explanation.

Same here, non-divisible ammo count is kinda odd. That said, i'm okay with an ammo count that is like 2 kills per magazine and two spare shots (like DMR was when it had 12 round mag in Reach beta).
BR is actually just that... Hmm. Guess i'm okay with that then. Going to be group-shooting anyway as that is ideal with BR.
Ultimately there are other things that are more important in deciding balance. (I reload after a few shots anyway)

20079929.jpg

OMGLOL! I was fighting this one guy who constantly tried to block my melees with Armor Lock. Sure, he succeeded some but i still managed to beat him with melee multiple times during the match. And of course he didn't do anything useful during the match, preventing one guy from killing you while not doing anything else is really useful...

EDIT i don't actually find the Armor Lock overpowered or game breaking, just plain stupid and boring.

FyreWulff

Because of the way they do lighting on dynamic objects, the shadow direction can change vectors very rapidly and the direction doesn't always make sense because they have to average all the surrounding lighting in a sparse grid of probes and then average again between multiple of those probes based on distance. It kinda looks bad to have your shadow all confused and having a seizure as you move. It's a problem with baked GI.

They had this in the earlier stages in Reach as well but opted to cut it. I think it's for the better if they cut it rather than have those problems.

Fuckin' beat me to it

RIP hit sparks :( :(

Why 343i, why?! They were SO AWESOME!

Conan.gif

I wish they were used in place of hit markers honestly, especially with how they are implemented currently. It seems they just flash those 4 diagonal lines that are far enough apart to not overlap the widest reticle. I am glad they are minimally obstructive, especially compared to CODs, but they just look kind of awkward.

81ooc.png

Woorloog

Banned
Scrubs everywhere, bro.

Moar gun pr0n.

http://i.minus.com/iHbcwGjK091JY.gif[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Argh, the ammo counter is goes from top-down! Is this same for all Halo 4 weapons?
Left-right looked so much clearer.
Umm, how did the ammo counter work in Reach?

[quote="Myyke, post: 40866008"][IMG]http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oGd8Unppbwk/UCQA4vufpEI/AAAAAAAAAUY/SqwKOirm6kk/s256/trek_hmm.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]

You're not of the latest batch, not angry at you. Nor at juniors in general. Just noting that the latest batch has had quite a lot of bad posters. To the point of WTF.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oGd8Unppbwk/UCQA4vufpEI/AAAAAAAAAUY/SqwKOirm6kk/s256/trek_hmm.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

You joined in 2010, at this rate I expect you to be member before the year ends.

At Xands' rate, I expect him to hit it in 2016.

And then, There's OddOne....

Omni

Idiot.

Much better now.
Does one's ignore list have size limitations?
I'm sorry, but really? It shows a lot about your personality if you're going to insult and ignore someone who was simply engaging in conversation. Don't like what I had to say? Reply back with your points. It's called a debate, but you seem to have taking things personally and then 'insulted' everyone who came here recently (juniors) to participate in said debates.

And that's all I'm going to say on that.
Scrubs everywhere, bro.

Moar gun pr0n.

iHbcwGjK091JY.gif
I can't wait to give this a go! I'm not sure about how useful it's going to be in competitive multiplayer, but at the very least it'll be fun to use in campaign/Spartan Ops.

Myyke

Neo Member
You're not of the latest batch, not angry at you. Nor at juniors in general. Just noting that the latest batch has had quite a lot of bad posters. To the point of WTF.

Don't worry hehe, was trying more to put across that no one really has an answer as to why this batch seems to have spent a little too long in the oven, although Scotty's expression is a good example of how I look when I watch them kicking away at the hornets nest lol.

You joined in 2010, at this rate I expect you to be member before the year ends.

At Xands' rate, I expect him to hit it in 2016.

And then, There's OddOne....

But if I become a member, who's going to look after OddOne?!?!?

Also random question but does anyone need a code for the Reach pre-order bonus armoury items? Was just looking at some of my old emails and I have an unused code for each (Recon Helmet Variant & UA Multi Threat Chest).

Gazzawa

Remember when you had to be 16 or older to register on Gaf?

Seriously, do you? I checked the other day and now we can potentially have 13 year olds in here.

Makes this turn of events a little saddening.

13 is a bit too young. Especially with the influx of suicide threads that keep popping up.
That and all the other inappropriate stuff that pops up on GAF.

Striker

Assault Rifle being so powerful wouldn't be much of an issue if the melee wasn't so god-damn powerful. The AR rush and melee has been one of the most awful things in the games.

What the hell is happening to this thread?!

Reading through some of the recent posts is mind-boggling.

Stuff like:

4 shot kill BR is balanced.
5 shot kill BR is inherently unbalanced.

I mean WTF does that even mean?!

It doesn't make sense, because it's all in context to whatever sandbox has been created to go with said weapon.

Pulling the trigger an additonal time doesn't make a weapon "unbalanced" and dependant upon firing rate etc, the kill time may not even be any different in comparison to the sandbox it's a part of! And even if it is, it's a different game!

I get that people like old school Halo. I like old school Halo. But, I have been playing that game for 10+ years. If Halo 4 is a mixture of everything I really enjoy about Halo (the sandbox, the universe, speed, strafeing, jump height, the feeling of even if you're outgunned, your own decisions on a battlefield can change the outcome of a battle (i.e not an "I saw you first, so I automatically win the fight" type game) then I for one welcome the new shit. Even if it falls flat on it's arse, at least it tried to be different and not just a re-skin of the same game over and over. (which is all some people ever seem to want)

I mean, imagine if a developer actually did that. Just updated the graphics, stuck a new campaign but kept all the guns and mechanics exactly the same...I don't think it would go down quite the way you'd expect - people would get very bored, very quickly in my opinion.

I don't know if anything I posted made any sense...I'm just rambling at this point. :)

Woorloog

Banned
Assault Rifle being so powerful wouldn't be much of an issue if the melee wasn't so god-damn powerful. The AR rush and melee has been one of the most awful things in the games.

True.
Though i don't find AR rushing awful, just stupid since it usually leads to both players dying... This has something to do with modern players' mentality as well, i think, no thinking required or involved. Strafing or other proper movement allows people to avoid the AR rush and just shoot the other one.
In theory anyway.

I mean, imagine if a developer actually did that. Just updated the graphics, stuck a new campaign but kept all the guns and mechanics exactly the same...I don't think it would go down quite the way you'd expect - people would get very bored, very quickly in my opinion.

I don't know if anything I posted made any sense...I'm just rambling at this point. :)

That actually works just fine. One of the most popular video game franchises ever...

Your post made a lot of sense. To me anyway.

TheOddOne

Not to derail the excellent gun discussion, but what is up with Reach population right now? It's more godawful then usual, more quitting then usual. Even from "high" ranking people.

People that go into Rumble Pit as a party to play Team Slayer are the worst.

I wish we knew what the finalized control schemes for Halo 4 are. Based on the ones we've seen so far, it looks like Recon is the way to go so I'm trying to learn Recon in Reach. Needless to say, muscle memory is a bitch. I also keep hitting B to reload which is really annoying and doesn't make any sense because I was using Default before where reload was on X. My Bumper Jumper heritage is showing through.

I think learning Recon will be better in the long run though. More consistency between games. I was using Bumper Jumper in 3/ODST and Default in Reach before, made switching between games confusing.

zap

Not to derail the excellent gun discussion, but what is up with Reach population right now? It's more godawful then usual, more quitting then usual. Even from "high" ranking people.

This time (while America sleeps and Europe is working) is always super quiet.

Gazzawa

True.
Though i don't find AR rushing awful, just stupid since it usually leads to both players dying... This has something to do with modern players' mentality as well, i think, no thinking required or involved. Strafing or other proper movement allows people to avoid the AR rush and just shoot the other one.
In theory anyway.
tumblr_m6ngbv3Xt91qlic8wo1_500.gif

Why do most of the new juniors end up getting ridiculed to no end?

I'm glad I didn't have to go through this...

Or I might have to, considering I'm still a junior.

Don't do that to me.

Nobody ridicules any new member just because he or she is a junior. Many new members have been looked down upon, yes, but there are a variety of reasons.

You name a junior that has been "ridiculed," and I bet I can name the specific problem(s) people have with that poster. If we're going to do that, though, best do it through PMs because I will not bring that e-drama into this thread.

You probably won't want to do that because that's ridiculous, and it is, but the larger point of this post is to hopefully remind everyone, among this huge wave of juniors, that people largely don't care what it says under your username.

Conor 419

Banned
I just never have the will to play Reach any more, waiting on Halo Quad.

On that note, shouldn't we have heard about the ranking system by now?

Just caught up on the past few pages. Stay gold, HaloGAF.

As for the four shot/five shot argument, I definitely wish the BR was four shot so that it could have a clearer advantage over the DMR. From the little we saw, the DMR seems dominant, and as I and other people have brought up before, it seems like if you can make a BR user miss at mid-range, you're going to win the battle using a DMR.

Now, that's just my assumption based on everything I've seen. I know things are still being tweaked and I hope the balance between the BR and DMR is being looked at carefully.

Also, this:

So i'm not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours?

What the fuck is wrong with the latests batch of juniors?

Was a complete overreaction.

Edit: Just went back a few more pages and OH MY GOD STEAKS

Woorloog

Banned
Also, this:
Was a complete overreaction.

Implying anothers opinion is wrong (when it comes to video games anyway) is idiotic automatically. And i intend to call people out on it.

As for the juniors, the latest batch really has had many bad posters, more so than usually it seems. Or maybe just more Halo fans so i perceive the latests batch differently. Oh well, there have been good posters as well.

Gazzawa

Myyke's Assassination to Yoink Ratio: 20:1

Elzar's Assassination to Yoink Ratio 3:1

Analysis: Elzar is a scumbag.

Don't worry about that spoofer. He is all talk.
Remember: "Promenteus is gonna be so good- I can't wait to see it"
"Yeah I can't wait to see the dark knight"
All this Halo 4 preorder crap he keeps mentioning is all lies.
You ruined my whole summer :'(

Omni

BTB in Reach... Oh what a surprise... Blood Gulch again(or whatever it's called). At this point I don't care about some of the more questionable things in Halo 4, I just want more map variety in matchmaking.

Hopefully 343i improve over Reach's voting system. It's no fun playing the same map over and over and over.

BTB in Reach... Oh what a surprise... Blood Gulch again(or whatever it's called). At this point I don't care about some of the more questionable things in Halo 4, I just want more map variety in matchmaking.

Hopefully 343i improve over Reach's voting system. It's no fun playing the same map over and over and over.

I want Halo 3's veto system back. It resulted in more variety, but I still never had to play ARs on Isolation.

It worked because all it did was weed out the bad gametypes. Reach's system results in people only voting for super popular maps and gametypes, which means you play them over and over and over.

It's a shame I'll never get my wish though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom