• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzawa

I want Halo 3's veto system back. It resulted in more variety, but I still never had to play ARs on Isolation.

It worked because all it did was weed out the bad gametypes. Reach's system results in people only voting for super popular maps and gametypes, which means you play them over and over and over.

It's a shame I'll never get my wish though.

Lol Isolation. That map was ok sometimes. It felt good killing someone with a well timed spike grenade
the superior nade
as they dropped down one of the holes
AR starts are never fun especially when the nearest pick up is a spiker.

Reach is the best Halo
Agree. Best singleplayer campaign, minute to minute, Firefight rules, multiplayer is dope even with all its peculiarities and annoyances. Halo 3 is a smoother ride, and I prefer some of its multiplayer mechanics, but Reach has far too much good shit to dismiss it as a Halo game. You just have to grit your teeth sometimes to get at that stuff.

Spiders

I want Halo 3's veto system back. It resulted in more variety, but I still never had to play ARs on Isolation.

It worked because all it did was weed out the bad gametypes. Reach's system results in people only voting for super popular maps and gametypes, which means you play them over and over and over.

I completely agree.

Also, I think removing the 'none of the above' option from the voting screen would make it a lot better.

Lol Isolation. That map was ok sometimes. It felt good killing someone with a well timed spike grenade
the superior nade
as they dropped down one of the holes
AR starts are never fun especially when the nearest pick up is a spiker.

I had a friend with a scratched disk that couldn't load Isolation.

I loved playing with him.

Spiders said:
I completely agree.

Also, I think removing the 'none of the above' option from the voting screen would make it a lot better.

This is a nice compromise between the two, I think. Good looks.

cocamola

Banned
Agree. Best singleplayer campaign, minute to minute, Firefight rules, multiplayer is dope even with all its peculiarities and annoyances. Halo 3 is a smoother ride, and I prefer some of its multiplayer mechanics, but Reach has far too much good shit to dismiss it as a Halo game. You just have to grit your teeth sometimes to get at that stuff.

ODST won that award, I personally believe that ODST's Firefight is also better. You have a sense of survival in it and I enjoy the maps more.
Reach's firefight is boring, especially adding Arcade Fight. Just Jet packing with OS and an infinite ammo rocket launcher isn't really fun to me. I'm glad they dropped fire fight, I'm really looking forward to Spartan Ops.

I actually think the problem lies within Reach, not the voting system. For one, DLC isn't required so there goes half of the multi-player maps. Secondly, Reach's maps are terrible, so the same preferred maps get voted.

ODST won that award, I personally believe that ODST's Firefight is also better. You have a sense of survival in it and I enjoy the maps more.
Reach's firefight is boring, especially adding Arcade Fight. Just Jet packing with OS and an infinite ammo rocket launcher isn't really fun to me. I'm glad they dropped fire fight, I'm really looking forward to Spartan Ops.

Yeah, ODST had better maps and was a lot more difficult, in my opinion. Getting Endure was actually an achievement.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member

Completely agree that ODST FF is still very fun to this day but Reach FF I never got into and also find it lackluster.

ODST is my favourite singleplayer campaign in some respects (notably storytelling), but Reach has a lot more meat on its bones, and is the only Halo campaign I think is more or less solid from start to finish (the series high for me is still The Ark/The Covenant back to back in Halo 3), with no lulls or dud levels.

And I guess what I like about Reach's Firefight is the potential in it, and how well it combines with the gunplay (which works so much better outside of multiplayer); the netcode and the matchmaking options mean I rarely actually played it online apart from Score Attack. Still, there's nothing stopping you setting up survival-style Firefight, which I agree is more fun than scoring-style.

Omni

Yeah! Personally, I feel as if it should be like Halo 3's vetoing system for the map selection, and then it moves to the Reach selection system for the gametype selection. That way there would be more variety of maps, but players would still be able to play the gametype that they like.

Talents

Banned

Same. During Halo 3, I actually wanted a voting system like Reach's, but when Reach came out and played it for a few hours, I soon realised everyone just constantly picks the same maps, which gets boring and repetitive.

Although it is extremely painful when you're playing Halo 3 and get Last Resort/Valhalla constantly...

Ken

Same. During Halo 3, I actually wanted a voting system like Reach's, but when Reach came out and played it for a few hours, I soon realised everyone just constantly picks the same maps, which gets boring and repetitive.

Not if they are good maps.

Yeah! Personally, I feel as if it should be like Halo 3's vetoing system for the map selection, and then it moves to the Reach selection system for the gametype selection. That way there would be more variety of maps, but players would still be able to play the gametype that they like.

Eh, I feel that'd take too long and be unnecessary really.

Actually, it might work if it was really only applied to Objective. You get a list of three gametypes, all on the same map, and have the option to vote for "none of the above" and be given a different map. Then you get three gametypes again.

That's the only reason I see for a none of the above option.

Wub wub wub

can we please, as a community, move past making "wub wub wub lol" jokes every time dubstep is brought up? We get it, it's not a well liked genre. You're not making a keen observation by pointing out that the songs sound similar.

cocamola

Banned

Although it is extremely painful when you're playing Halo 3 and get Last Resort/Valhalla constantly...

The arena voting system isn't bad. Maybe enforce a similar system?

can we please, as a community, move past making "wub wub wub lol" jokes every time dubstep is brought up? We get it, it's not a well liked genre. You're not making a keen observation by pointing out that the songs sound similar.
Wub

Talents

Banned
The arena voting system isn't bad. Maybe enforce a similar system?

What does the arena system do different?

Not if they are good maps.

Disagree.

I played a lot of Rainbow Six: Vegas and its sequel.

The R6 community played maybe a grand total of five maps across both games.

Wub

130221984383.png

Myyke's Assassination to Yoink Ratio: 20:1

Elzar's Assassination to Yoink Ratio 3:1

Analysis: Elzar is a scumbag.

I have adapted to YOUR use of assasinations.

Don't worry about that spoofer. He is all talk.
Remember: "Promenteus is gonna be so good- I can't wait to see it"
"Yeah I can't wait to see the dark knight"
All this Halo 4 preorder crap he keeps mentioning is all lies.
You ruined my whole summer :'(

I very much laughed at this.

Striker

I completely agree.

Removing the ability to see other's choices would help than that, I'd think.

In the H3 version, you could veto Standoff AR's, but then get Snowbound BR's or even Shotty Snipes in High Ground. Point is, if the general rule of maps and gametype combinations are good, there won't be much of an issue. The maps in both H3 and Reach, as well as gametypes, were extremely hit or miss, and there were very few great slayer maps.

Removing the ability to see other's choices would help than that, I'd think.

In the H3 version, you could veto Standoff AR's, but then get Snowbound BR's or even Shotty Snipes in High Ground. Point is, if the general rule of maps and gametype combinations are good, there won't be much of an issue. The maps in both H3 and Reach, as well as gametypes, were extremely hit or miss, and there were very few great slayer maps.

I think we avoid this problem because of loadouts.

JHall

Us Halo players have become very spoiled with all these fancy voting and vetoing options in Matchmaking.

I remember when you got SMG starts on Coag, and you were happy about it because there was a chance you might not get modded.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Pretty sure you can only vote once and you can't see what others are voting for.

Yes, you can't see what others choose and can't change your vote in Arena. Halo 4 should just make it where 2 maps come up and you choose between the 2 since in the playlists you won't need to choose between AR and BR starts due to loadouts.

*This wouldn't apply to all playlists just the ones that use loadouts, not sure if classic playlists would use loadouts.*

Caja 117

Pretty sure you can only vote once and you can't see what others are voting for.

Yeah, that is correct, I either would prefer that or H3 veto system, voting option gives in for too much repetition of the same. MLG reach is worst as you have 3 rounds of voting.

Us Halo players have become very spoiled with all these fancy voting and vetoing options in Matchmaking.

I remember when you got SMG starts on Coag, and you were happy about it because there was a chance you might not get modded.

I doubt anyone would had been happy at SMG starts in coag. =p

Yeah, that is correct, I either would prefer that or H3 veto system, voting option gives in for too much repetition of the same. MLG reach is worst as you have 3 rounds of voting.

I doubt anyone would had been happy at SMG starts in coag. =p

Yeah, MLG is what soured me on the voting system, really.

Oh, we're going to play CTF on Asylum again? Excellent, great. Couldn't be happier.

And I played a lot of Rainbow Six Raven Shield and frequently played maybe the same 2 maps and still had fun.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd like a little more variety in my experience, no matter how good the maps are.

It just makes it that much better when you get Team BRs on the Pit.

Edit: anyway, I think the best solution is probably to just give three voting options, no "none of the above."

u4iX

Different strokes for different folks. I'd like a little more variety in my experience, no matter how good the maps are.

It just makes it that much better when you get Team BRs on the Pit.

Edit: anyway, I think the best solution is probably to just give three voting options, no "none of the above."

I could probably play Lobby Small and Nerve Center on Shadowrun for the rest of my life.

343i should do what FASA did and take their "BTB" maps and scale them down to "Small" versions for 4v4/5v5.

It takes a pretty amazing studio to pull something like that off, but just take Boneyard for example. During a match, the area past the giant wall is rarely even used.

A map like Spire, take out the spire using kill zones and you have an awesome rugged terrain map. (PS: The French BTB guys did this, the map rocks).
Puns.

I could probably play Lobby Small and Nerve Center on Shadowrun for the rest of my life.

343i should do what FASA did and take their "BTB" maps and scale them down to "Small" versions for 4v4/5v5.

It takes a pretty amazing studio to pull something like that off, but just take Boneyard for example. During a match, the area past the giant wall is rarely even used.

A map like Spire, take out the spire using kill zones and you have an awesome rugged terrain map. (PS: The French BTB guys did this, the map rocks).
Puns.

Seems like how Longbow worked in RTX footage.
Even though its a BTB map, it still sorta worked for 4v4 slayer.

The map Warhaouse or whatever the hell its called now. May be a bit to dark. Especially when player use camo. Depending on how powerfull it is. It could be hard to counter.

Adrift is the dark, mech map.
Haven is the bright forerunner map.
Longbow is the large snow map.

Everyone is going to mistake "Haven" as "Heaven"

The map Warhaouse or whatever the hell its called now. May be a bit to dark. Especially when player use camo. Depending on how powerfull it is. It could be hard to counter.

a zoojoo

Banned
Wow.

For the first time in recent memory, I have absolutely no desire to play Reach tonight. Not a single person on my friend's list is on any Halo title, and for some reason I don't feel like playing any of 'em. What is this feeling?

Fuck you, GAF. Look what you've done to me.
I know that feel bro. I've been that way lately, my entire urge to play games has just been fuckin drain'd out of me.
Some people here get way too upset over what other people post.
Get a grip.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

sltPoison, check yo xbox messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom