• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talents

Banned
I know that feel bro. I've been that way lately, my entire urge to play games has just been fuckin drain'd out of me.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

But you were playing H3 the other day D:

NOKYARD

What the hell is happening to this thread?!

Reading through some of the recent posts is mind-boggling.

Stuff like:

4 shot kill BR is balanced.
5 shot kill BR is inherently unbalanced.

I mean WTF does that even mean?!

It doesn't make sense, because it's all in context to whatever sandbox has been created to go with said weapon.

Pulling the trigger an additonal time doesn't make a weapon "unbalanced" and dependant upon firing rate etc, the kill time may not even be any different in comparison to the sandbox it's a part of! And even if it is, it's a different game!

I get that people like old school Halo. I like old school Halo. But, I have been playing that game for 10+ years. If Halo 4 is a mixture of everything I really enjoy about Halo (the sandbox, the universe, speed, strafeing, jump height, the feeling of even if you're outgunned, your own decisions on a battlefield can change the outcome of a battle (i.e not an "I saw you first, so I automatically win the fight" type game) then I for one welcome the new shit. Even if it falls flat on it's arse, at least it tried to be different and not just a re-skin of the same game over and over. (which is all some people ever seem to want)

I mean, imagine if a developer actually did that. Just updated the graphics, stuck a new campaign but kept all the guns and mechanics exactly the same...I don't think it would go down quite the way you'd expect - people would get very bored, very quickly in my opinion.

I don't know if anything I posted made any sense...I'm just rambling at this point. :)
I've begun to read your posts in a British accent.

That ALONE makes this post more intellegent and eloquent than 95% of the drivel spewed forth last night. (i say 95% because Frankie pooped out a few gems last night)

Swarmerr

I think halo players in general are tired of playing halo. The only reason many halo players play is to tide the time over until halo 4 comes out. Halo Reach lost its appeal to many players 2 months after release. I know as a competitive player it feels the only people I play are people new to the game, even in Halo 3 sometimes.

Competitive halo players have been hit hardest because it means absolutely nothing to be good at reach, seeing how very few care about the game if any.

In response to people at the top talking about their lack of will to play.

Going through the direct-feed pretty much frame by frame today, I just have to say that the graphics are kind of flooring me. Just the crispness of everything, the rich colours, just about every aspect of the design ... it looks like I've always wanted a Halo game to look. And I think the UI/HUD, white text aside, is as good as it has ever looked right now, too. The way the ammo counts out for the SAW is a beautiful touch.

The FOV does seem a little constrained, but that's probably part of a balancing act with movement and turn speed to make the game feel quicker; the wide FOV in Reach, much as I like it, contributes to the sense of sluggishness.

Edit: Looks like the railgun never has an ammo count higher than 5 in this video. Still looks like five free kills unless you turn it on a vehicle, though.

Portugeezer

Does a shot to the foot/chest/head whilst shielded do the same damage (excluding sniper riffle)?

If so then fail, something I wish wouldn't be.

Talents

Banned
I think halo players in general are tired of playing halo. The only reason many halo players play is to tide the time over until halo 4 comes out. Halo Reach lost its appeal to many players 2 months after release. I know as a competitive player it feels the only people I play are people new to the game, even in Halo 3 sometimes.

Competitive halo players have been hit hardest because it means absolutely nothing to be good at reach, seeing how very few care about the game if any.

In response to people at the top talking about their lack of will to play.

I think most the new players are going to Halo 3, not Reach. I've played with so many people who are new to Halo in the past few weeks it's unbelievable. A few days ago, I played with 3 people on my team in social skirmish who didn't know where our base was, or how to capture a flag on Valhalla. We still managed to draw the game 1-1 though, I have no idea how.

I've begun to read your posts in a British accent.

That ALONE makes this post more intellegent and eloquent than 95% of the drivel spewed forth last night. (i say 95% because Frankie pooped out a few gems last night)

images

How goes the Forge Contest review process? I'm still waiting for my email informing me I've won and I'm the best Forger ever. :D

kylej

Banned
If the FOV is less than Reach that will be the worst news I have heard about Halo 4.

Again:

Halo_3_ODST_supply_cache_rifle.jpg

So beautiful. Makes me weep.

NOKYARD

How goes the Forge Contest review process? I'm still waiting for my email informing me I've won and I'm the best Forger ever. :D
Got a bit behind with the judging due to CCs being actual real people with actual real lives including a baby being born.

Check your inbox for
Viagara and life insurance spam

kylej

Banned
Also what's funny is that myself and many others have been complaining about the Wall-E sniper scope, but given some of the COD-esque leanings we'll probably be able to customize the scope design.

I also expect we'll get Halo 3 or Halo 2 "classic" unlockable designs for weapons and maybe armor in the game.

Swarmerr

I think most the new players are going to Halo 3, not Reach. I've played with so many people who are new to Halo in the past few weeks it's unbelievable. A few days ago, I played with 3 people on my team in social skirmish who didn't know where our base was, or how to capture a flag on Valhalla. We still managed to draw the game 1-1 though, I have no idea how.

Could be due to the fact that people know halo 4 is a continuation of halo 3 not reach. Or reach has become infamous lol.

daedalius

Last few pages in this thread have been fuckawful.

What the hell is going on?

Also I thought people measured the FOV compared to Reach and it is similar?

Just my thoughts

Lets say a standard FOV is a from 10 to 120, 120 being widescreen ODST, 100 being normal.

I'd put what I've seen so far from Halo 4 at either 85 or 90 :(

I don't think ODST was 120 degrees...

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Just my thoughts

Lets say a standard FOV is a from 10 to 120, 120 being widescreen ODST, 100 being normal.

I'd put what I've seen so far from Halo 4 at either 85 or 90 :(

Blueblur1

I hope 4's FOV is closer to Reach, too. I have a hard time with the tighter FOV in the previous games. Question regarding ODST though: What FOV did it have? What's the actual figure?

Vire

I'm very well sure it could still be being tuned.

Doubt it. That's kinda a major change.

It's pretty obvious while the FOV is smaller, it increases performance and allows the beautiful graphics you see today.

I'm fine with it personally, I rather have the higher resolution assets. I'm tired of Halo looking like poo poo this gen.

Why not? They are in debugging and fine tuning mode now. I'm sure the FOV is just a number value like it is in many other games, and can be changed at any point in the devolopment

As much of a number as it might be, the entire HUD hinges on it.

The text you see, the crosshair, the weapon models, the medals.... everything...

And that's purely aesthetic. Gameplay and design of maps and sandbox elements can be affected too.

Slaker117

Why not? They are in debugging and fine tuning mode now. I'm sure the FOV is just a number value like it is in many other games, and can be changed at any point in the devolopment

It can been changed, sure, but changing how much of the world you see, and thus render, at a time is going to effect performance and require optimization. Seems like something you'd want to get locked down by this point so you can spend time making sure it looks as good as possible inside the chosen restraints.

feel

If the FOV is less than Reach that will be the worst news I have heard about Halo 4.

Again:

I don't think they will admit it officially that the fov now sucks, I think Bungie never did with Halo 2/3.

And here I am now used to 1080Pnative/90-120fps/fov90.

Halo 4 will be brutal on my spoiled eyes. :(

not if I play a lot of Halo 3 the week before to get used to the framerate and FOV.. and p2p

It can only get narrower at this point in development, unless they want a huge performance hit to deal with this late.

Again:

The FOV never felt that great to me in ODST, it actually annoyed me that they didn't alter the way you hold the weapons in first person from Halo 3. A lot of the weapons looked to long or to far away from your face.
I'm not having any problems with Halo 4's FOV.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
So many FOV experts up and at them this morning.

The FOV in Halo 4 is not less than Reach's. As far as I know, it's still 78.

JHall

The FOV never felt that great to me in ODST, it actually annoyed me that they didn't alter the way you hold the weapons in first person from Halo 3. A lot of the weapons looked to long or to far away from your face.
I'm not having any problems with Halo 4's FOV.

I guess that is because human are smaller than spartans. So in ODST's case a sniper would appear bigger than it would when the Master Chief is holding it.

Vire

So many FOV experts up and at them this morning.

The FOV in Halo 4 is not less than Reach's. As far as I know, it's still 78.

I think the absolutely gargantuan sniper model is making people think it's smaller than it actually is. (I'm fine with it since most of the time I'll be scoped anyway)

AR looks about the same as other games.

Homeboyd

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQkzVX8wJHNJCoVhJApRDkW0ClYMVKr7-XwKm9nzG7Z-N8QtML[IMG]

How goes the Forge Contest review process? I'm still waiting for my email informing me I've won and I'm the best Forger ever. :D[/QUOTE]
lol about that...

No but seriously it's actually going well. Getting close. Maps deserve additional attention we're giving them.

On a related note, I'm still not sure exactly what Frankie meant in the bulletin in reference to community cartographers helping build maps for H4 (more specifically, who he was referring to), but in case they are looking for some names of quality forgers out there... I'm definitely keeping a list and would encourage others to do the same. We've come across some brilliant Forgers throughout our term with CC and I'd be more than happy to share those names with 343 & co.

inb4lolCCcantspottalentforshityousuckhomeboydamiroxisgay

I guess that is because human are smaller than spartans. So in ODST's case a sniper would appear bigger than it would when the Master Chief is holding it.

They resized all the weapons in ODST to fit in their hands better. The sniper is not as long in third person as it is in first.

lol about that...

No but seriously it's actually going well. Getting close. Maps deserve additional attention we're giving them.

On a related note, I'm still not sure exactly what Frankie meant in the bulletin in reference to community cartographers helping build maps for H4 (more specifically, who he was referring to), but in case they are looking for some names of quality forgers out there... I'm definitely keeping a list and would encourage others to do the same. We've come across some brilliant Forgers throughout our term with CC and I'd be more than happy to share those names with 343 & co.

inb4lolCCcantspottalentforshityousuckhomeboydamiroxisgay

Yeah, I did wonder what he meant by that...how can CC's setup gametypes/maps etc without an early copy of Halo 4? (which would be nice!)

How many entries did you have in the end? Kudos to you and the rest of the CC's for putting the effort in by the way, I'm far too lazy for stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom