• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Isn't self shadowing taxing on the hardware? I know dick about these things, but I know when I turn shadow quality down in PC games it usually gave the biggest performance boost.

I'll take no self shadowing if it means a more solid framerate...

JackHerer

Digital Foundry does these with every new release, and yes believe it. Arched keeps claiming there is no difference, which couldn't be farther from the truth. It is not his opinion, input lag is real, and CoD which runs at 60fps clearly has less input lag than halo reach.

I suppose it makes perfect sense that this would be the case. If the rate at which new frames are displayed on the screen is slower, it would logically take longer for your inputs to be displayed on the screen.

Digital Foundry does these with every new release, and yes believe it. Arched keeps claiming there is no difference, which couldn't be farther from the truth. It is not his opinion, input lag is real, and CoD which runs at 60fps clearly has less input lag than halo reach.

No real difference, 30 milliseconds is a very small.

60fps is a luxury that is nice when it's there but isn't needed, it eats up to many resources for most games. I'd rather have beautiful and detailed environments over the game looking a little smoother. If you can do both, fine, but you are always going to be able to juice more out of a console if you lock the frames at 30.

Is Halo 4 going to be at Gamescom?
Nope.

Isn't self shadowing taxing on the hardware? I know dick about these things, but I know when I turn shadow quality down in PC games it usually gave the biggest performance boost.

It's still there in the video. The main reason it is not as prevalent is because the map Haven appears to be running real time shadow maps unlike the other levels. I think it makes all the self shadowing look much more intense. If you watch the E3 gameplay trailer you'll notice that the self shadowing is indeed very light on the weapon.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unless you are watching on a large TV there is no real difference, And honestly it still isn't a massive difference if you are, yes it is noticeable but it all it really boils down to is making it look a little smoother and cleaner. It mainly just makes you feel better about your purchase because it is "better".

Man, I'm not team downer by ANY stretch of the imagination but this right here, this is crazy.

I can play Halo and other 30FPS games just fine, yes. But when I put in CoD I can tell a BIG difference. It's almost startling. I remember Bioshock 2 gave the option to play at 30, or uncap the framerate, and uncapping it showed a huge difference as well. Things are so buttery smooth at 60+.

It's fine to have an opinion that you're fine with 30, but stating you cannot see a difference is ridiculous. Unless you have some sort of eye issues where you cannot perceive a difference in frames.

Could you name a few?

To be fair, it can be quite jarring. Take the Bioshock example I posted above. Going from 30 to uncapped almost makes you sick. Being as colorful as it is didn't help. It's like I was on a supper fast merry-go-round at a carnival that went off the hinges. Love me some 60FPS though.

Anyone going to be playing H3 today?

I've played CoD before and in all honesty, I don't see a difference in the FPS.

If you can't notice a difference between 30 and 60 frames a second. Then its time you had you'er eyes checked. When I hear someone say they dont see a difference. Its like when old people say they can't see the deffrence between 480i and 1080p.

60fps is a luxury that is nice when it's there but isn't needed, it eats up to many resources for most games. I'd rather have beautiful and detailed environments over the game looking a little smoother. If you can do both, fine, but you are always going to be able to juice more out of a console if you lock the frames at 30.

You have no clue what you are talking about. If roughly ~30 ms doesn't bother you, then you'll have no problem going from Halo Reach to Killzone 2s controls. Tell me how that difference feels then get back to me.

It also has the side effect of making enemies appear smaller and possible less intimidating. Determining the proper FOV is a balancing act as both wider and tighter FOVs have their strengths and weaknesses based on the experience you're trying to convey.

geez tehn just make ur enemies bigger not that hard!!!!

recent times have shown me that I need a disclaimer for when I am being facetious and here is your disclaimer.

It also has the side effect of making enemies appear smaller and possible less intimidating. Determining the proper FOV is a balancing act as both wider and tighter FOVs have their strengths and weaknesses based on the experience you're trying to convey.

I know all this. Was just responding in terms of speed to Shake.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

Whatever makes heads easier to blaine :)

Man, I'm not team downer by ANY stretch of the imagination but this right here, this is crazy.

I can play Halo and other 30FPS games just fine, yes. But when I put in CoD I can tell a BIG difference. It's almost startling. I remember Bioshock 2 gave the option to play at 30, or uncap the framerate, and uncapping it showed a huge difference as well. Things are so buttery smooth at 60+.

It's fine to have an opinion that you're fine with 30, but stating you cannot see a difference is ridiculous. Unless you have some sort of eye issues where you cannot perceive a difference in frames.

To be fair, it can be quite jarring. Take the Bioshock example I posted above. Going from 30 to uncapped almost makes you sick. Being as colorful as it is didn't help. It's like I was on a supper fast merry-go-round at a carnival that went off the hinges. Love me some 60FPS though.

I never said I can't see the difference, it's very obvious, but at the same time it doesn't do very much for the experience and when you get down to it it isn't a very big difference overall.

You have no clue what you are talking about. If roughly ~30 ms doesn't bother you, then you'll have no problem going from Halo Reach to Killzone 2s controls. Tell me how that difference feels then get back to me.

Man Killzone 2 woulda been so good if it didn't play like you had your controller submerged in a vat of molasses.

JackHerer

IIRC, Kevin Franklin said that Speed Boost does not have any effect on Sprint speed. I imagine Thruster will not be affected either. As for Sword... Um, yeah.

Wasn't there a bug in the E3 demo that had sprint speed unaffected by speed boost such that it would actually slow you down and make it faster to just walk? I think they said they fixed this IIRC.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I never said I can't see the difference, it's very obvious, but at the same time it doesn't very much for the experience and when you get down to it it isn't a very big difference overall.

Ah, well gotta disagree with you there too. Aiming fidelity and the precision at which you can aim seems better, the better the framerate. The smoother the frames, the smoother the aiming, the more precision you have.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I never said I can't see the difference, it's very obvious, but at the same time it doesn't very much for the experience and when you get down to it it isn't a very big difference overall.

True professionals notice a huge lag in game play, Its like boot camping for Counter-strike 1.6 before a LAN, you use a 100 Hz CRT Monitor, when you get the the LAN everything is locked at 60 Hz so its like the rest of the game is moving in slow motion compared to what you're used to.

I don't know the science behind it, but it made me play better.

Overdoziz

Banned
I remember when I was running a map on Quake Online some time ago to try and recreate it in Forge. I had Quake on my monitor and Reach on the television next to it and every time I went from Quake to Reach it felt extremely choppy and sluggish. I honestly thought something was wrong because of how bad it ran. Sure, you can get used to 30fps but 60fps (and above) is far superior in how the how a game plays and feels.

Its not that 30milliseconds difference is small its that the difference added on. Halo is about ~100milliseconds of input lag is half of an average humans reaction time. When you play the app where you need to click the button as soon as it turns red generally humans react in 200ms. Add on Lag and screen lag the time it takes your tv to show what it should (2-5ms generally) oh and that pesky internet lag. All this creates a discourse of what you truly should respond to. It starts becoming very allegory of the cave. Where what you see isn't true.

A game that diminishes the amount of all this lag would be the most enjoyable experience at the end of the day*

After all the adjustment time is over.

Vire

There is still self shadowing in the game. As seen on Adrift:
ib1SrHFKBmitTD.png

ibrK9CPhxRJJ5e.png
Relax people...

If there is one thing to complain about in Halo 4 - it sure as hell isn't the visuals.

Two completely different arguments bud.

When I played games with 8 bit graphics I was happy with 8 bit graphics. When I play Halo at 30fps I'm happy with 30fps. Does that mean neither 8 bit graphics nor 30fps should be upgraded? It's one thing to say that 30fps doesn't bother you and it's another to say that it shouldn't bother other people.

Ah, well gotta disagree with you there too. Aiming fidelity and the precision at which you can aim seems better, the better the framerate. The smoother the frames, the smoother the aiming, the more precision you have.

If you had two people playing the same game with one at 60fps and one at 30 then the 60 would have a huge advantage, but when everyone is locked at the same frame rate the argument of being more precise isn't as important. I can aim just fine in a 30fps game and it doesn't bother me. However every one perceives things differently and that is fine. It's a shame that some people want to take their opinion and perspective on things as fact and berate others for their's.(no that wasn't directed at you)
If 60fps makes a huge difference for you, fine. If a difference of 30 milliseconds of input lag makes a huge difference to you, fine. It all just comes down to preference, perception and opinion.

Portugeezer

Does a shot to the foot/chest/head whilst shielded do the same damage (excluding sniper riffle)?

If so then fail, something I wish wouldn't be.

IIRC, Kevin Franklin said that Speed Boost does not have any effect on Sprint speed. I imagine Thruster will not be affected either. As for Sword... Um, yeah.

From what I played it seemed sprinting with speed boost is actually slower than not sprinting with speed boast. Thruster was affect by speed boost, but I think they said they are fixing it so it doesnt/

Wasn't there a bug in the E3 demo that had sprint speed unaffected by speed boost such that it would actually slow you down and make it faster to just walk? I think they said they fixed this IIRC.
I hope that isn't the case. Speed boost was perfect. Slightly faster than sprint, but allowed you to shoot and strafe. Having speed boast affect sprint would just be ridiculous.

Aggrotek

Does a shot to the foot/chest/head whilst shielded do the same damage (excluding sniper riffle)?

You posted this exact post yesterday.... I don't think this expectation is realistic. Considering the way every other Halo has been.

JackHerer

Yes. This is a pretty basic feature if Halo. It doesn't matter where you hit them until their shields are popped. Only exception is the sniper rifle I think.

I remember when I was running a map on Quake Online some time ago to try and recreate it in Forge. I had Quake on my monitor and Reach on the television next to it and every time I went from Quake to Reach it felt extremely choppy and sluggish. I honestly thought something was wrong because of how bad it ran. Sure, you can get used to 30fps but 60fps (and above) is far superior in how the how a game plays and feels.

That is because you had them side by side. Your eyes get used to the faster frame rate and then when you see something slower it seems choppy. The same thing happens with going from a high frame rate game to a lower one. After a small adjustment period your eyes will become used to the slower frame rate and it doesn't matter anymore. I only play 60fps games every now and then so I don't have to readjust very often but I can see how that would bother people who do.

That is because you had them side by side. Your eyes get used to the faster frame rate and then when you see something slower it seems choppy. The same thing happens with going from a high frame rate game to a lower one. After a small adjustment period your eyes will become used to the slower frame rate and it doesn't matter anymore. I only play 60fps games every now and then so I don't have to readjust very often but I can see how that would bother people who do.

So what you're saying is we should lower our standards to your standards because you don't play games at a superior setting? I can and will handle 30 fps with halo 4, but I'm not particularly happy about it as I'm used to playing games on my PC. Hopefully next gen Halo has an improved fps.

If you had two people playing the same game with one at 60fps and one at 30 then the 60 would have a huge advantage, but when everyone is locked at the same frame rate the argument of being more precise isn't as important. I can aim just fine in a 30fps game and it doesn't bother me. However every one perceives things differently and that is fine. It's a shame that some people want to take their opinion and perspective on things as fact and berate others for their's.(no that wasn't directed at you)
If 60fps makes a huge difference for you, fine. If a difference of 30 milliseconds of input lag makes a huge difference to you, fine. It all just comes down to preference, perception and opinion.

But as an end user, 60fps is far better in just about every regard. 30fps is totally fine and a perfectly acceptable standard but from the oint of view of the viwer 60fps always trumps it except where motion sickness can occur.

The main point in the 30 versus 60 fps debate is the cost to the producer of content. When you're doubling up on frames, you're using more resources(tm). Different engines render things in different ways. It's the developer's decision but I don't think anyone is going to deny that 60fps is a lot better.

All we can hope for at this point is a steady framerate, and pray all those fancy dudads and whatchamacallits 343 has added hasn't fucked with that. The maps are big enough as it is, at least let me move at a consistent framerate to try and find people to shoot.

Because that was NOT the case of Halo Framerate Drop edition they released last year.

So what you're saying is we should lower our standards to your standards because you don't play games at a superior setting? I can and will handle 30 fps with halo 4, but I'm particularly happy about it as I'm used to playing on my PC. Hopefully next gen Halo has an improved fps.

That isn't what I am saying. I'm saying they are both fine. Yes 60fps is faster but it overall doesn't really matter. I don't feel like arguing about this anymore so just read my post that was before that one.

kylej

Banned
I think of juices as more of an Aristophanes man. Portraying philosophers as people interested in seeing how far a flea can jump is some ancient Team Downer shit.

Pondering whether I'd trade Halo 4's anti-aliased look, a blessed novelty for the series this generation, for twice the framerate has made me realize I am incredibly shallow, at least when it comes to jaggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom