• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to podcast, and I gotta 100% agree with Tashi's topic about marketing the visuals of the game. The push ads and such this fall need to be in-game footage that shows how incredible the game looks, none of these live action ads that while are cool on their own, doesn't tell people about the game at all or why they should buy it.

Battlefield 3 is a good example, they had a huge marketing push that should in-game footage, and they even did the "is it real life, or is it Battlefield 3 ads"? That moved copies of the game without a doubt.

Just displaying numbers doesn't tell you how many points each team still needs to get in order to win. The bar gave you an idea of how close you were to winning or losing. It's minor but quite helpful, especially in custom games with different settings. I honestly don't get why Bungie removed in going from Halo 3 to Reach. But then again there wasn't even a flag-away notification either.

I guess it would be less of an issue if there was some information about the gametype in the lobby before a match starts. I don't see that happening though as 343 seems to prefer covering the entire screen with about 3 buttons.

ZgAQ5.png

They have this before every match, should eliminate a lot of confusion.
See, I think this works better. Giving me numbers for the score and score limit makes things much more precise than a score progress bar where the limit is left to people's perception of the length of the bar. A good comparison would be to Reach's credit bar: I often hear "I'm at the n in next." That doesn't really provide much useful information, as that can mean 100k credits away or 1 million.

If the progress bars remain, it should be along with the numerical limit displayed somewhere (either at the begining of the match, above the score, or both.) The bar should have very well defined start and end points for a meaningful graphical score comparison. From the screens we've seen, it's hard to determine where the bar starts and where it will end, thus why the picture showing a score of 100 to 50 doesn't seem like the one bar is twice the length of the other; it's hard to tell where the bar starts.

For those who missed it, the latest episode of HaloGAF Radio is out. Guests are Demoncarnotaur and Mastrbiggy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40904867#post40904867

If you guys could please leave any comments in the new thread, I would appreciate it. I would love to get more GAF members interested in the podcast. Thanks and enjoy!
Downloading :)
I NEED to get myself to listening more of HaloGAF Radio. Great Podcasts, TBH.
Will leave comments after this episode.

Overdoziz

Banned
See, I think this works better. Giving me numbers for the score and score limit makes things much more precise than a score progress bar where the limit is left to people's perception of the length of the bar. A good comparison would be to Reach's credit bar: I often hear "I'm at the n in next." That doesn't really provide much useful information, as that can mean 100k credits away or 1 million.

If the progress bars remain, it should be along with the numerical limit displayed somewhere (either at the begining of the match, above the score, or both.) The bar should have very well defined start and end points for a meaningful graphical score comparison. From the screens we've seen, it's hard to determine where the bar starts and where it will end, thus why the picture showing a score of 100 to 50 doesn't seem like the one bar is twice the length of the other; it's hard to tell where the bar starts.
Ehm, of course the number should still be there. You think I only wanted the bar?

fin

Hey guys just seen the Weapons trailer, looks sick. But that music! Have they released the mp3? If not, they seriously need to!

No offense to the old games, but from what I heard at Halofest and the new trailers. This is probably a soundtrack I'll actually listen too!

But seriously release that mp3! Is this track made by the dev team or was it outsourced? Ordnance ready! fucking crazy.

You know what would be cool, wager matches. Easily exploitable but would give you something to do with your credits

gun game, ooohhh yeeeaaahhh.

plasma pistol->pistol->AR->SR->Needler->BR->Carbine->Light Rifle->Shotty->Scattershot->Sword->Sticky Detonator->Railgun->SAW->Sniper->Beam Rifle->Rocket->Lazer->turret

Vire

Question about the multiplayer storyline, maybe Frank can clear this up.

Are the Spartan 4's actually fighting other Spartans āla Hunger Games where the opponents actually die. Or is it all a virtual simulation where you are fighting against visual illusions? How does it work exactly?

Talents

Banned

Are the Spartan 4's actually fighting other Spartans āla Hunger Games where the opponents actually die. Or is it all a virtual simulation where you are fighting against visual illusions?

I'm gonna guess the illusions.

heckfu

Banned

Are the Spartan 4's actually fighting other Spartans āla Hunger Games where the opponents actually die. Or is it all a virtual simulation where you are fighting against visual illusions?
I know it's for Frank but just assuming it's a sim since you can respawn.

Spartan Ops = Real missions, even if you Spartan die, he will normally respawn.
Multiplayer= War games are played in a virtual reality, so they do not die.

holograms. which doesn't make sense because the combat deck is supposed to actually be a holodeck, but how could the spartans "die" and respawn? it doesn't really make sense. they'd have to be in a simulation chair or something, but why need a giant holodeck?

Vire

I know it's for Frank but just assuming it's a sim since you can respawn.

If you can respawn is it you yourself who is in the simulation or are you controlling an AI construct that represents you as an avatar?

I'm still confused here.

heckfu

Banned
If you can respawn is it you yourself who is in the simulation or are you controlling an AI construct that represents you as an avatar?

I'm still confused here.
I've always assumed you were "controlling" a construct of yourself.

Again, all assumptions though.

Gray Man

Banned
Listening to podcast, and I gotta 100% agree with Tashi's topic about marketing the visuals of the game. The push ads and such this fall need to be in-game footage that shows how incredible the game looks, none of these live action ads that while are cool on their own, doesn't tell people about the game at all or why they should buy it.

Battlefield 3 is a good example, they had a huge marketing push that should in-game footage, and they even did the "is it real life, or is it Battlefield 3 ads"? That moved copies of the game without a doubt.

I'm still holding out for some amazing viral marketing campaign.

Back when ODST came out I had this idea that in bigger cities they could drop "ODST Drop Pods" made out of cardboard, with some special offer, or a link or QR code to some website.

iAqjJZaazpBrS.JPG

see, the combat deck is that big. why the hell would they need a giant holodeck if it's just a computer simulation. doesn't make any sense.

im just thinking they didn't think about it that much. some suspension of disbelief required.

I always thought that it would be a combat simulator like in xmen

i don't think they ever explained it in xmen. (at least not in the movie) like what happens when a character "died" in the sim. i believe the whole thing ended and they had to restart. right?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey guys just seen the Weapons trailer, looks sick. But that music! Have they released the mp3? If not, they seriously need to!

No offense to the old games, but from what I heard at Halofest and the new trailers. This is probably a soundtrack I'll actually listen too!

But seriously release that mp3! Is this track made by the dev team or was it outsourced? Ordnance ready! fucking crazy.

Thank you! I also want to get the MP3 to this song. I feel like cutting a montage to it.

Devo, he posted too many gifs

Blueblur1

Oh shit, it's fin. Been a while dude.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I forgot about those BF3 ads. They were good. That game was a huge hit.

Noricart

Yeah, it was kinda weird to me how they made a bit of a deal out of how they now had a reason for red to fight blue and it ended up being "uhhhh training."

Maybe the way they get to the reason for Red vs Blue in Campaign will make it compelling when you get to multiplayer, but the explanation by itself is pretty lackluster.

Pop

Why is Reach saying my NAT isn't open? Never had this problem until now, is it a glitch?

Edit: NAT is open but not in Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom