• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
So you hit the last level, enlist in a specialization and raise the level cap. When you reach the "new" last level, you get the gameplay ability for which you chose to enlist in (Are all specializations unlocked to choose from when you reach the last level for the first time?). And you do this for each specialization.

How does the limited edition change this?

When you hit the level cap, you will be given the option to enlist in one of the Specializations you have available.

blamite

An honest question: How does this benefit the gameplay in the longterm?

The biggest advantage I can see especially when it comes to releasing Specilizations slowly over time, is that it (hopefully) keeps people playing the game for longer. Everytime Mass Effect 3 releases new multiplayer DLC, for example, I'll jump in for a few days to check out the new maps and try to unlock the new classes. This and Spartan Ops are pretty similar in that sense.

This is actually one of the things I said in the interview.

By enlisting in a Specialization you basically raise your own level cap. With each one, you can extend the level cap a little further. You DO NOT have to rank all the way through again.

well thats good.

now how about that ranking system?

Vire

Personally Im not seeing what everyone is freaking out about. Sounds like each specialization has a pretty minor effect. The one thing I don't quite get is how this improves gameplay.

I guess it's understandable to be concerned from a balance perspective since not only do you have new armor abilities, but also specializations to take into account. In the end it sounds like an awful lot to get pitch perfect balance.

I'm not quite sure how you attain them though. The explanation was kinda nebulous.

So you hit the last level, enlist in a specialization and raise the level cap. When you reach the "new" last level, you get the gameplay ability for which you chose to enlist in (Are all specializations unlocked to choose from when you reach the last level for the first time?). And you do this for each specialization.

With SE you have to work on one of two specializations first, and then other unlock as you go. With LE, you can choose from any specialization the first time you hit 50.

That's what I understand it to mean.

Damn, the news thread was confusing as hell and I was hoping you guys would be able to shed some definitive light on it. Guess not.

Hope 343 will give us a better explanation soon. And have we heard anything about Forge yet?

Enfinit

On the bright side the armor looks good.......

VonQ

Boy, does that look menacing and awesome. "Come at me, you purple blueberry fuck!"

At the release of Halo 4, only two specialization are unlocked. Other specialization will be unlocked by 343i after a specific time period. If you own the Limited Edition, you have access to all specialization immediately. You do not have to wait until 343i unlocks them.

Yes, I can really blame people for turning yet another shooter into a COD offshoot. We have far more than enough of those.

The gunplay, The way firefights happen and the majority of the gameplay is still halo. The meta game has changed and its gotten a layer of "tweaks" to the player abilities but virtually every single impression iv heard so far has been positive I really think people are overreacting but its the internet and that is what happens.

Honestly I just want the game to release and see what happens in this thread.

a zoojoo

Banned
So when do the plebs Halo 4 Standard Edition purchasers get access to the other ones? How do they unlock more?

I guess they are unlocked to them later, which doesn't make sense, unless you are a grinder, if everyone is going to be going at a similar pace.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
So when do the plebs Halo 4 Standard Edition purchasers get access to the other ones? How do they unlock more?

That was another quote that didn't make it into the story.

We'll be watching the level curve of the community closely close launch and will do our best to role Specializations out as we see segments of the playerbase reach max rank.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
When you hit the level cap, you will be given the option to enlist in one of the Specializations you have available.

Ok. So with the limited edition, you can enlist in any of the specializations right off the bat.

Now for those without the special edition, how would they go about unlocking each specialization? Just by completing one of the already available ones?

I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this now. And honestly if the matchmaking does a good job of pairing me with similarly skilled teammates and against similarly skilled opponents, this should be pretty cool.

edit: ^^^^ oh wow so you guys release the specializations? That's pretty wild.

edit 2: That potentially leads to increasing level caps deep into the games life cyle with new specializations. Wow

Hopefully Bravo's video supplies more clarity on specializations from his visit to 343.
Thanks for your clarifications David! You're obviously quite passionate about your work, good to see

More second hand information about the game, not irritating at all :)

Another day, another poorly handled Halo 4 reveal.
Just release some proper vidocs already.

Whilst I like what I've read so far.

Please 343 listen to this man, vidocs/BTS are the most effective way to show and explain the changes, you have 3 months left.

Please just get some BTS's out there, so that your consumer base understands the ins and out of the MP elements in H4.

Vire

We'll be watching the level curve of the community closely close launch and will do our best to role Specializations out as we see segments of the playerbase reach max rank.
Can players who haven't earned a specialization be matched with someone who does? It doesn't seem very fair.

Sorry posting from my phone, trying to keep it brief.

Blinding

I think they should've actually detailed ranks and how they work before pushing out this information, since a proper judgement isn't possible without context (even Ellis's damage control doesn't provide enough context to make sense of these specializations.)

FyreWulff

The biggest advantage I can see especially when it comes to releasing Specilizations slowly over time, is that it (hopefully) keeps people playing the game for longer. Everytime Mass Effect 3 releases new multiplayer DLC, for example, I'll jump in for a few days to check out the new maps and try to unlock the new classes. This and Spartan Ops are pretty similar in that sense.

Yeah, but releasing DLC on a consistent schedule and not sitting on the third pack as a cross-marketing opportunity to be released after a lot of the playerbase has moved on also helps keep people interested in your game.

Caja 117

I don't know how to embrace these news, I already paid my LE and I'm committed to give the game a chance.

I'm guessing that those specialization that comes with the LE is just a DLC code? is that correct? because is possible I end up giving that code away here, I'm not kidding. (I prefer getting my specialization by actually playing the game.)

I only hope that if this game flops in XBL like Halo reach did, the developer realize what does Halo really needs for to keep the fanbase playing it, IMO all these add ons to the gameplay is not something that will hold the XBL population.

Talents

Banned

Did Bravo get told anything else apart from the specializations? Or was that all he was told?

a zoojoo

Banned
Can players who haven't earned a specialization be matched with someone who does? It doesn't seem very fair.

Sorry posting from my phone, trying to keep it brief.

The only way to keep this from happening is having a skill based ranking system.

1-50 pls

Droid

I love how there are all these perks and abilities to help "keep people playing longer/more" when in reality it won't do that sufficiently. The only real way to keep people playing it create simple, addicting, and balanced game play. There used to be this really good game franchise that did this at one point, everyone was on equal footing and the game play was solid. It was so good that it dominated the Xbox single-handedly back in the day.

But hey! Look! Specializations! Aren't these neato?

Overdoziz

Banned

Why not just allow everyone to access all Specializations at launch? Put a cool poster in the LE instead or something.

Will the experience required for your first specialization be the same as the exp to progress through the second specialization?

Or do the levels becomes progressively harder between 50 and 150?

Why not just allow everyone to access all Specializations at launch? Put a cool poster in the LE instead or something.

Same reason as Spartan Ops, to keep people talking about and going back to Halo 4.

JackHerer

"Described by 343 Industries as “Spartan optimization for target shadowing missions which require tactical invisibility despite operating at an extremely close range to the target itself,” the Stalker packs the Nemesis armor mod, a passive skill that, according to Ellis, “Pops up on the HUD an icon of the last person that killed you.” This also applies to attacking enemies as well, making it useful for both retaliation and revenge. Teams that communicate well can make fantastic use of this perk."

Is my interpretation of this correct in that it puts a waypoint over the head of the last person who killed you?

If so, that sounds horrible.

everyone else under your level just has to deal with the fact that you have an actual game-function advantage over them

I really try not to be a super-duper complainer douche. But this exact thing is what I DO NOT like in my "competitive" game. So what if I haven't played as much as some middle-school kid? I'm still better than 99% of them. Why the fuckballs should I have to try harder to beat them / why should they have some easier time against me / why should close games potentially come down to some bullshit specialization? This is the exact thing that turns me away from games.

lybertyboy said:
You will be matched based on a variety of factors, SKILL, DLC, connection speed, etc.

Skill? I'll believe that when I see it. I see no mention of specialization progression used in matching. Please, please, please, change my mind.

I just though it was another slot for customization on top of AAs and tactical/support packages. That would of really bothered me.

The only thing I can think of is stabilization that reduces kickback from being shot/shooting.

WTF BIGGY!!!!!!???? AGAIN!??!?!

Sofa King

Prediction: Unlock all specializations to gain access to Bandana Skull!

In all seriousness, has there been any word of whether or not skulls will be returning?

I really try not to be a super-duper complainer douche. But this exact thing is what I DO NOT like in my "competitive" game. So what if I haven't played as much as some middle-school kid? I'm still better than 99% of them. Why the fuckballs should I have to try harder to beat them / why should they have some easier time against me / why should close games potentially come down to some bullshit specialization? This is the exact thing that turns me away from games.

Bringing rage charging to a whole new level.

Bronion

All Specializations do is unlock alternate Support/Tactical upgrades ("perks") that focus more on specific playstyles.
Rewards from Specializations are not superior, just alternative.

I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom