• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

"Described by 343 Industries as “Spartan optimization for target shadowing missions which require tactical invisibility despite operating at an extremely close range to the target itself,” the Stalker packs the Nemesis armor mod, a passive skill that, according to Ellis, “Pops up on the HUD an icon of the last person that killed you.” This also applies to attacking enemies as well, making it useful for both retaliation and revenge. Teams that communicate well can make fantastic use of this perk."

Is my interpretation of this correct in that it puts a waypoint over the head of the last person who killed you?

If so, that sounds horrible.

Yeah, this is the only one that sounds really really bad to me. Hopefully there are some heavy limitations that keep it from just being permanent Promethean Vision on one person. That'd just be awful especially if an entire team was using it and communicating the locations of your entire team.

L1NETT

So basically, Halo 4 is going to get worse as more people level up and unlock these specializations.

Lol. In 3 years time though, when everyone has levelled up to the max, Perfect harmony is achieved.

Balance will be restored!

Maybe there will be a specialization-free playlist.

I hope there is, although we then encounter the same problem that we had with Reach. We are all playing different games again.

One playlist is Infinity Slayer with every perk, Ordnance drop under the sun.

Team Slayer which is every perk but no Ordnance drop.

Then we have Classic Mode with stripped down to the core gameplay - without the toy set of Infinity Slayer. (Obviously all Speculation)

If there is a MLG playlist (Hardcore community playlist if MLG don't bother) it has 110% movement speed with BR starts for all.

I hope I am wrong, but the same old problems might be propping up again.

Karl2177

It is all going to be about the matchmaking, I am sure there will be playlist that allow specializations and ones that don't. In the longterm it just adds a new dynamic, if done correctly it is a whole other aspect for competitive play. Changes how teams are built and how they function.

Here are my issues with all of that.

There better be options to allow and not allow Specializations in both Matchmaking and in Custom Games. There better be options to force certain specializations. There better be options to control the game from a player standpoint. If not, they fucked up about as much as Bungie and themselves did with Reach game options and 343's Reach TU options. You don't know how bad I want a bloom setting that doesn't expand past the outer reticule. That's never going to happen.

For the longterm look at it, what about players who pick up the game a month after release, a year after release, or even immediately before Halo 5? These players are at a disadvantage simply because they didn't purchase it at the most opportune time. Reach did half correctly and that is having a progression system only affect cosmetics. The half that it did wrong was not giving you anything else for other modes. Now affecting the online multiplayer portion of the game? Not good. Affecting Spartan Ops/Campaign? That's where you add to the progression. It doesn't affect the experience of other players in a negative way.

Count me disappointed about the recent news.

That was another quote that didn't make it into the story.

We'll be watching the level curve of the community closely close launch and will do our best to role Specializations out as we see segments of the playerbase reach max rank.

This type of thing is retarded. It didn't work/matter in Reach (although rank was purely cosmetic/whatever) and only served to make me sit at some lower rank for an arbitrary amount of time instead of experiencing the levels in-between.

Tawpgun

Let's say I have a matchmaking itch to play a version of Halo 4 that has predictable weapon spawning, and standard loadouts.

Will this itch be scratched?

Let's say I have a matchmaking itch to play a version of Halo 4 that has predictable weapon spawning, and standard loadouts.

Will this itch be scratched?

Honestly as much as I'm Game for all this new hotness a classic playlist is a must even if its only so Over and Kyle don't have to tell me how shitty Perk X is

Overdoziz

Banned
Same reason as Spartan Ops, to keep people talking about and going back to Halo 4.
I mean that you'd still have to unlock them by reaching max rank and all that jazz but allow us to pick any of the 10 specializations without having to wait for 343 to unlock them or by buying the LE, because that's some bullshit if I ever heard it.

feel

I just want a single piece of interesting news out of the multiplayer of this game, anything really. Some innovative weapon, some exciting new gameplay thing that turns the sandbox upside down in a good way, some amazing new feature that pushes console fps gaming like Theater or fileshares in Halo 3, or parties in Halo 2. Enough with the Reach and COD feature checklist.

Kuroyume

Banned
Pathfinder

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Pathfinders enjoy the Gunner mod, which reduces the cool-down on vehicle weapon overheating and allows you to move faster when carrying a detached emplacement. “If you like grabbing turrets,” suggests Ellis, “This will make you a little more powerful than you would be otherwise.” Ellis may or may not have had an ear-to-ear grin on his face when he said this.

Operator

This one’s for all the vehicle lovers out there. “In the past you’ve been able to use an EMP pulse to freeze a vehicle,” says Ellis, recalling far too many memories of having a Running Riot interrupted by a well-placed overcharged plasma pistol burst. “This [Wheelman armor mod] gives you a bit of a resistance against that. It won’t necessarily stop you in your tracks [anymore].”

But wait, there’s more: “This also allows you to recharge the health of a vehicle a little faster. It won’t be fast, but if you can get out of harm’s way, you’re going to recharge the vehicle’s health faster than you would otherwise.” And 343 is encouraging this in a key way: “You’re going to be rewarded a lot more for [driving well and getting assists] than you were before,” clarifies Ellis. “We’re going to encourage people to want to be the driver.”

What a fucking joke.

Whenever I begin to get hyped for this game... They just fucking kill it. Shouldn't be having Running Riots in a goddamn vehicle. Fucking harassing everyone on foot the entire time.

I feel like not getting this at launch. Letting you guys be the guinea pigs. I just have a feeling that this game is going to be so hated after the honeymoon period is over. They're playing with fire over there.

Slaker117

Seems like a lot of sorta shitty frills tacked onto what looks to be an excellent Halo game at its core. Guess I'll be sticking to the classic playlist mostly.

kylej

Banned
I just want a single piece of interesting news out of the multiplayer of this game, anything really. Some innovative weapon, some exciting new gameplay thing that turns the sandbox upside down in a good way, some amazing new feature that pushes console fps gaming like Theater or fileshares in Halo 3, or parties in Halo 2.

Forge has better lighting.

WTF BIGGY!!!!!!???? AGAIN!??!?!
Y0eL6.gif

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Shouldn't be having Running Riots in a goddamn vehicle. Fucking harassing everyone on foot the entire time.

I feel like not getting this at launch. Letting you guys be the guinea pigs. I just have a feeling that this game is going to be so hated after the honeymoon period is over. They're playing with fire over there.

You have way more tools at your disposal against vehicles out of the gate than in past Halo games. No offense, but if you're letting vehicles get non-stop Running Riots in Halo 4 then might I suggest trying another weapon/grenade loadout.

Tawpgun

You have way more tools at your disposal against vehicles out of the gate than in past Halo games. No offense, but if you're letting vehicles get non-stop Running Riots in Halo 4 then might I suggest trying another weapon/grenade loadout.

Good point.

He simply doesn't understand that paper covers rock. Gotta pick scissors bro.

Because thats what I see this game turning into, even if it is only at endgame

Pioneer Explain it please. Since you know, cant spell Ignorance with IGN.

You best start believing in HaloGAF meltdowns, you're in one.

I enjoyed this post much more than your usual stuff.

Plain Ben

Usually the demand for a Team Classic playlist doesnt start until after the game is out. Talk about a bad sign.
Well it's a lot of randomness really isn't it? Semi-predictable weapon drops, and you have no idea what the enemy's going to pull out on you, or what perks they have. It's annoying when randomness beats you.

Glad we at least have some clarification here on the Specializations, I think we made it obvious 343 needs to do their own write-up on Waypoint soon. At least it's all endgame content, depending on how far 'endgame' really is.

Kuroyume

Banned

Is it too late to limit vehicle use to campaign?

Shadders

David, is there any chance you could estimate the length of time it would take to reach level 50, maybe put it in Reach terms. Are we talking Lt. Colonel? Brigadier? Noble?

Hey You

Yeah, but releasing DLC on a consistent schedule and not sitting on the third pack as a cross-marketing opportunity to be released after a lot of the playerbase has moved on also helps keep people interested in your game.

You're never going to get over that, are you?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
David, is there any chance you could estimate the length of time it would take to reach level 50, maybe put it in Reach terms. Are we talking Lt. Colonel? Brigadier? Noble?

I wouldn't even begin to try and put a number on it. Whatever number I selected would just be a guess.

Enfinit

I have a question:

What if I want to play a game where everyone spawns with the same primary and secondary, there's weapon pick-ups on the map, and there's no loadouts or specializations? Will there be a scratch for this itch?

blamite

Yeah, but releasing DLC on a consistent schedule and not sitting on the third pack as a cross-marketing opportunity to be released after a lot of the playerbase has moved on also helps keep people interested in your game.

Yes you're right, the thing that happened years ago on a different game with a different developer at a time when multiple Halo games were coming out at the same time is totally relevant now.

Arnie

I just want a single piece of interesting news out of the multiplayer of this game, anything really. Some innovative weapon, some exciting new gameplay thing that turns the sandbox upside down in a good way, some amazing new feature that pushes console fps gaming like Theater or fileshares in Halo 3, or parties in Halo 2. Enough with the Reach and COD feature checklist.

Exactly.

Pop

This doesn't sound like the Halo I fell in love with or know. Who at 343 thought specializations would make for a better Halo game. I'll reserve full judgement when I get to actually play the game. A 1-50 ranking system isn't sounding like it will be happening. Blops2 is getting a ranking system, spectator mode and live streaming while we get specializations in Halo. :/

Why not just release a MP vidoc and get the info out and over with.

I have a question:

What if I want to play a game where everyone spawns with the same primary and secondary, there's weapon pick-ups on the map, and there's no loadouts or specializations?

Do you honestly think that that sort of option won't be available in Halo 4?

Shadders

I wouldn't even begin to try and put a number on it. Whatever number I selected would just be a guess.

Hmm.. ok, it sort of feels to me like most players, and by that I don't mean any of the people here. But those guys who maybe put 20 hours into multiplayer and move on, are they even going to see all this content? It feels like a lot of important stuff to hold back.

Then again I suppose it's a pretty nice carrot to keep people playing, unlike Reach which was just a stick.

Just as long as they have the classic playlists they promised long ago, I'll be more than happy to try out these new changes to spice up gameplay :]

That being said, DAMN some of you people love to complain without seeing things in action.. Pretty crazy to read some of these posts, so I can only imagine what 343 is thinking lol

Noricart

Halo 3 is still online.
I hope you enjoy AR starts wonky azz netcode, BR spread, no hitscan, incosistent tracking/aim assist, a reticule that will turn red even if only 1/5th of it is on a person's head, Power Drains, Regen and Oddball Free-For-All.
With bubble shields of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom