• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

So Bad

It's a very trying time to be a Halo fan. The Reach situation the last few months and now news that I could have a waypoint over my head just for killing my enemy in a shooter game. Or have a team of 8 in BTB with the stay in scope perk enabled raining down unanswerable death with 3x zoom DMR's. Or have my opponent choose rockets every time on his Personal Ordnance 3x fruit machine token. The quitting and idling in this game will make Reach look mild in comparison.

This sounnds terrible. Why 343...

Why ;(

Ld2K and Soph Ein are two examples of casuals. They both liked Reach and like these ideas. Because they will never get too into the game to see all the intricacies that make things bad. These people will love Halo regardless of what it becomes. Then leave. While were here begging for the changes to make the game better.

I certainly don't think Reach is perfect.

heckfu

Banned
I left for dinner after work and missed the reveal. And then I come into a gaf on fire.

I'm not even sure where to begin looking up info.

I was just on Gaming side and I saw the thread about Blops2's additions and I almost cracked up.

What fucking bizarro world am I living in right now that Call of Duty is getting awesome, groundbreaking new features and Halo is getting...this?

I think I need to stop caring so much about this game and what it becomes because the only thing that's going to lead to is crushing disappointment.

So I tried to sum up what I think the system is. It might just be a bit of clarity for some people to get their head around. Maybe someone can confirm if it's accurate.

ibkJhwmvYovOVo.jpg

Okay. I discussed this a bit with Steely and Biggy before posting this comment here. I may have some of the details wrong – it's all a bit confusing – but from what I gathered I'm more frustrated with how specializations are being handled for LE owners than I am at the concept of them. I'm not going to waste any posts, or what have you, getting all worked up over Specializations. I've said in the past, before I completely knew what they were, they seemed like a great idea for the direction 343 was taking Halo 4. And they do! Hell, I may end up liking them in the end. Whatever.

From what I've gathered, all the discs – standard and LE – will have the same number of specializations on the disc. The LE owners, however, will have access to all of them at launch. But, again, the content is on all the discs.

This is bad business practice. I bought the disc. I should be able to access everything I've bought from day one. Whatever content is on there is mine, and blocking parts of it at the start because I didn't fork over extra cash for it is a policy I cannot get behind.

I've supported this type of policy with purchases of other games in other franchises in the past, but I care about Halo too much. I don't want to see this type of thing repeated. If what I have here is correct, I will not be purchasing the Halo 4 LE. I cannot and will not support this.

Of course, I may be overreacting to what's going on and I'll feel differently in the morning, but that's how I feel right now. I really do hope I'm misunderstanding something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was just on Gaming side and I saw the thread about Blops2's additions and I almost cracked up.

What fucking bizarro world am I living in right now that Call of Duty is getting awesome, groundbreaking new features and Halo is getting...this?

I think I need to stop caring so much about this game and what it becomes because the only thing that's going to lead to is crushing disappointment.

Name quote.

I am thinking people Just like to over react. and are totally blow Minimal Information out of proportion. These seem very minimal and if anything just give players clear goals to reach for, without fully hindering balance.

FyreWulff

Okay. I discussed this a bit with Steely and Biggy before posting this comment here. I may have some of the details wrong – it's all a bit confusing – but from what I gathered I'm more frustrated with how specializations are being handled for LE owners than I am at the concept of them. I'm not going to waste any posts, or what have you, getting all worked up over Specializations. I've said in the past, before I completely knew what they were, they seemed like a great idea for the direction 343 was taking Halo 4. And they do! Hell, I may end up liking them in the end. Whatever.

From what I've gathered, all the discs – standard and LE – will have the same number of specializations on the disc. The LE owners, however, will have access to all of them at launch. But, again, the content is on all the discs.

This is bad business practice. I bought the disc. I should be able to access everything I've bought from day one. Whatever content is on there is mine, and blocking parts of it at the start because I didn't fork over extra cash for it is a policy I cannot get behind.

I've supported this type of policy with purchases of other games in other franchises in the past, but I care about Halo too much. I don't want to see this type of thing repeated. If what I have here is correct, I will not be purchasing the Halo 4 LE. I cannot support this.

Of course, I may be overreacting to what's going on and I'll feel different in the morning, but that's how I feel right now. I really do hope I'm misunderstanding something.

From the publisher of Gears of War 3 comes Gears of War 3-style SKU DLC. That's the best summarization I can think of.

I've supported this type of policy with purchases of other games in other franchises in the past, but I care about Halo too much. I don't want to see this type of thing repeated. If what I have here is correct, I will not be purchasing the Halo 4 LE. I cannot support this.

Of course, I may be overreacting to what's going on and I'll feel different in the morning, but that's how I feel right now. I really do hope I misunderstanding something.

My take is this.

Let's say it takes me 5 weeks to hit max rank. When I do I will have at least 2 options available to me in terms of which class I will specilize. If I got the LE I'll have 8 choices.

10 weeks after launch, 343 might flip the switch and make some or all of the other ones available to all players to choose once they hit max rank.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Of course, I may be overreacting to what's going on and I'll feel different in the morning, but that's how I feel right now. I really do hope I'm misunderstanding something.

No one is going to be at level 50 at launch. So no one will be able to use the specializations right away.

Blissful

Neo Member

Dude, I cannot believe BLOPS2 actually has a competitive ranking system. COD is actually doing things right. I guess 343 will copy the competitive ranking system COD has, when they release Halo 5.

Someone mentioned the a potential classic playlist a few pages ago and joked that it would be based off of vanilla Reach. I actually half expect them to do something to ruin it, for some reason I imagine them not making it count towards ranking up, which would be a population killer. To clarify I dont know what makes me say that, nothing they have said indicates towards that, but im betting that somehow they will screw up classic. I really hope classic takes that awesome looking base gameplay and just runs with it.

I don't even know what to say. I want to think that this will not be as bad as it sounds, we should wait until November to pass judgement, etc... but at the same time, what are we supposed to think? No concrete details on any Classic playlist, nothing truly exciting except perhaps Spartan Ops, and the only things that 343 bothers to herald are these gimmicks? If you've got Classic stuff, then please tell us about THAT for a change.

Dude, I cannot believe BLOPS2 actually has a competitive ranking system. COD is actually doing things right. I guess 343 will copy the competitive ranking system COD has, when they release Halo 5.

Yeah but there "competitive" ranking could be anything from a 1-50 to something similar to reaches. COD does have a ranking system.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't even know what to say. I want to think that this will not be as bad as it sounds, we should wait until November to pass judgement, etc... but at the same time, what are we supposed to think? No concrete details on any Classic playlist, nothing truly exciting except perhaps Spartan Ops, and the only things that 343 bothers to herald are these gimmicks? If you've got Classic stuff, then please tell us about THAT for a change.

Am I the only one who sees the humor in this?

Wait, Black Op's 2 is getting this shit?

Fuck...

Dedis are PC only I believe and Live Streaming won't be available to everyone. Halo 4's ranking system hasn't been detailed yet so there's no certainty it is something that only COD will have. Spectator mode and 60fps are the things most 360 COD users will have over Halo players.

Blissful

Neo Member
Yeah but there "competitive" ranking could be anything from a 1-50 to something similar to reaches. COD does have a ranking system.

Dude, they are adding a competitive ranking system that is based on skill (win/loss) in a seperate playlist than the one you are familiar with. They actually want to cater to E-Sports and competitive players. Also, you can't join a ranked game in progress, which is freggin awesome. This is what I have been waiting for for such a long time.

nillapuddin

This is your Halo 4 Loadout, lets try and figure out where the new packages go?

Primary Weapon:
Secondary Weapon:
Grenade Type:
Armor Ability:
Tactical Package:
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
Support Package:
  • Ammo Upgrade: Hold more Ammo
  • Sensor Upgrade: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped

Grenadier: Pick up nades off of fallen Spartans?

Heres the new ones from tonight:
Specialization[Name of Package]: description

• Wetwork[Unnamed]: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassination Animation, dampened footsteps
  • Pioneer[Fast Track]: Increased XP bonus
  • Engineer[Drop Recon]*: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops
  • Tracker[Drop Recon]*: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop
  • Rogue[Stability]: Lessened knock out of scope
  • Stalker[Nemesis]: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you
  • Pathfinder[Gunner]: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret
  • Operator[Wheelman]: Lessend EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff

One would assume they will even out so there is an equal number of both Tactical and Support options, but I am not confident enough to guess, and hopefully the Bulletin will tell which category the Packages fall into

Drop Recon dupe*
Im assuming IGN typo'd

These honestly dont sound all that horrible to me, Im not sure why MeltdownGAF ensued.

edit: seriously, now were talking about fucking call of duty again. this is bullshit

ill leave this in hopes of getting the discussion on Halo again but im out until bulletin.

Conor 419

Banned
Yeah I just checked the CoD thread and those features have been overblown. (Unless the console versions actually get dedi's, because in which case holy shit).

I still worry about this game a bit though. A lack of foresight with the additions made to the game combined with a lack of fresh, innovative features is exactly what caused Reach to turn out the way it did.

Dude, they are adding a competitive ranking system that is based on skill (win/loss) in a seperate playlist than the one you are familiar with. They actually want to cater to E-Sports and competitive players. Also, you can't join a ranked game in progress, which is freggin awesome. This is what I have been waiting for for such a long time.

And 343 isn't ?????? the only thing that 343 has said is no 1-50 which is just a freaking Number. Is the work on match making based on skill (how ever it is optimized, win loss k/d points what ever) and match player of similar skill regardless of visual indications there still light years ahead of COD which up to this point does not have.

Bullet thoughts:
-Glad to hear that they are just more tactical and support perks, I assumed that they were a third class of perks, which would have been awful assuming that some people wouldn't even have access to that class of perks. I still don't like them, but perks are a part of Halo 4, so I'm going to have to live with that.
-I do actually like the idea that you get 80 extra levels of progression after the main 50. Seems a bit like WOW, where you periodically get 10 more levels of progression.
-The crime though, is that LE owners get access to these 80 levels right away while the rest of us only get 20. LE owners get access to game-altering content prior to people to just pay $60 for the game. Fucking terrible.

We need to be able to contextualize these around the rest of the customization and investment suite, but that hasn't been detailed yet.

I think that's the big messaging miss here. This is a detail that should be added to our existing understanding of how the progression and ordnance systems work. Instead it's being dropped in without any context. I have no idea how to fit this into the rest of the systems.

I really hope 343 just up and writes an article for Waypoint explaining this stuff.
Agreed so so much. We are getting information about an "end game" progression component and we know next to nothing about the core level of progression. The order of information release doesn't make sense.
so did the just change the name of the playlists... did they do anyhting else.... I played one game, and it was heavies in btb... :|
No playlists were actually altered, just reorganized/removed.
My take is this.

Let's say it takes me 5 weeks to hit max rank. When I do I will have at least 2 options available to me in terms of which class I will specilize. If I got the LE I'll have 8 choices.

10 weeks after launch, 343 might flip the switch and make some or all of the other ones available to all players to choose once they hit max rank.

LE owners have access to game-altering content prior to people that don't have it. That's just wrong in my opinion.

Blissful

Neo Member
Exactly. Which people think is going to be some amazing feat for COD but its really not Much different from what they already have. Except adding seasons.

Still better than what Halo 4 has to offer at this time. Based on the information we have today, Halo 4 is going to be a progressive based ranking system, which sucks because it means that the more you play, the higher your rank. Pretty much like Reach's ranking system, which is pretty crappy to be honest.

The only playlist I play in Reach anyway is the Arena. Only reason that playlist failed was because Bungie did not introduce it well to the community. Some people still think you get ranked based on the daily rating, when its reallly now pure W/L and has been for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom