• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
engineerfullpng-9d80cc_800w.png

Those forearms..

7HtIg.jpg

It has begun.

I don't understand the game altering perk that unlocks at the max of the specialization. The fact that it is called "game altering" scares me makes it sound OP. What is the perk that you get? Also who wants all this cool stuff when you're maxed out? It would be worth the trouble if there was a real ranked playlist you can use it in. Oh another thing. Why has 343 let IGN fuck up another reveal. The game reveal's for Halo 4 have been a complete joke so far.

Defect

I don't understand the game altering perk that unlocks at the max of the specialization. The fact that it is called "game altering" scares me makes it sound OP. What is the perk that you get? Also who wants all this cool stuff when your maxed out? It would be worth the trouble if there was a real ranked playlist you can use it in. Oh another thing. Why has 343 let IGN fuck up another reveal. The game reveal for Halo 4 are a complete joke so far.

So are the changes. I don't know why Halo has to "evolve" constantly. At least try to be creative and not just copy paste everything the competition has.

G17

Once we achieve one of the gameplay changing specializations in the article, we can never rank up towards another specialization to be able to switch between them?

Once we achieve one of the gameplay changing specializations in the article, we can never rank up towards another specialization to be able to switch between them?

Who knows. From what I have read this game is going to be more confusing at first then a MMO. Or IGN did a really bad job at explaining things like always. Feels to me you will always be guessing about who has what and when.

Homeboyd

Why has 343 let IGN fuck up another reveal.
I don't know what you mean by this. Ellis sat down for an interview to explain a (somewhat) complex customization feature in Halo 4 to some guys that aren't nearly as versed in the Halo verbiage and series overall as we are. They took some notes and wrote an article. It's not like they sent the article to Ellis to proofread before it was published. They likely didn't know the right questions to ask, or how to get the answers communities like ours would've liked to have gotten. Like Ellis said; they left out pieces of the interview that could have better clarified some of these things but weren't relayed through the article. They get the media attention from the article and will clarify in detail tomorrow.

Yeah, I'd rather always have these things revealed from the sources too, but exclusives pay the bills and create outlets for future reveals to reach audiences they may not be able to tap into by doing it themselves.

That's not the right wooooooooooooord.
You'll never get that through to people haha. Lots of people are going to use the wrong word/spell it wrong.
And this.
I meant to reply to Ghaleon's post about that, and I'm almost positive it's the second option. As we stand right now, you don't get knocked out of scope in H4, so the perk has to be reduced kickback.
I bet you 1000 spartan points that they will put Infinity Slayer on the top of the "Competitive" playlist. So all a player's gatta do is hit A a couple times, and they are in. Look at how populated Team Slayer is in Reach :\
Regardless of how we feel about some of the things in H4, Halo 4 should be Halo 4 in matchmaking. None of this pathetic half-assed attempt to make people happy that want to play the previous game in the new game. The MM experience should be H4, for better or for worse.
This is so fallacious. People want to win matches, period. In-game reward systems only stands to bolster that drive; you can't "take away" that drive with an incentive system (unless you designed it backwards, like rewarding losing more than winning).

Reach gives credit bonuses to winning teams--meaning winners rank up faster than losers, Arena is based solely on winning, and your win % even factors into outside systems like BPR.

Rewarding players for completing games discourages quitting for those invested in the incentive system. Which is a good thing.
Agreed that people attempt to win the games regardless of an investment system, but investment systems should be emphasized on performance of the players and team. That is the only way that it's engaging, with Reach's system it doesn't even matter that is exists because the overwhelming majority of your points come from random jackpots and simply completing the game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You should reaaaaallly just take a breather, and wait for the in-depth explanations and the game to come out first.

Yeah

Just like halo 3

And reach

Which are still shit games in comparison to halo 2

The beauty of that game wasn't about what crappy AA you used, it was about how well you analyzed battlefield flow and engagements.

When you got in a vehicle... It meant something. And you had 3 distinct ways of handling one. Grenades, rockets, kill the driver. You were a power. Teams worked together to eliminate the advantage.

Pre-patch, melee meant something. Whoever hit first was the winner. You didn't have stupid animations. Halo 2 is hit and run.

When you had a grenade, it was always useful. There wasn't an annoying amount of geometry that reduced the amount of applicable uses to CQC.

You knew that every person you approached had just as good as a chance as you did to win an engagement. The only upper hand was those with better wits, tactics.

Using a sword was exhilarating. You were a menace and you were an instruments of the gods as your covenant sickle dragged many foe into grim reapers grasp. After Halo 2, it was reduced to a nearly useless trinket. Guns were balanced, something no halo game has done right since...

Now I have a stupid amount of choices as to my abilities before I even press play. I have choices for weapons in ordnance... Weapons don't have set spawn points. It's like fiesta was made into a game. Yay.

Now I don't know who the hell I am dealing with in engagement. Now assholes can track me around the map. This should make CTF annoying. Or just the game annoying.

In halo 2, games meant something with 1-50 rank. Instead i still play with people from random skill positions. success in the games mean absolutely nothing anymore. Nobody gives a shit how long one has played, only how well they CAN play. (Does nobody realize this?)

Now some people can see what weapons are landing and where? Now people can reroll to get a favorable weapon on ordnance? People can see through walls? Have vehicles that have a different set of rules to other players? Now snipers and long range players can sometimes not be distracted with suppressive fire? Some people can now see through walls? WTF

Sprinting shouldn't even be in the game. It was irritating in reach. Now there's sprinting and some people will have their sounds suppressed?

Like.... Fuck off. Why do we have to wait so many years for someone to create a true successor to halo 2? Why does no one want to utilize the things that made that game so special? The three greatest multiplayer shooters are (still) Quake 3, Counter-Strike 1.6 and Halo 2. Why? Because everyone that comes along and says "hey let's do something better!" ends up disrupting core gameplay, adding endless amount of frivolous bullshit that adds nothing to the experience and always detracts from it. Instead of keeping core gameplay, adding neat new things (guns, vehicles)

My problem is this game (and like halo 3 and reach) are close to Texas hold 'em. You see the river, you analyze players, but you don't know anything until all the cards are on the table. A game of odds. Halo 3 at least kept things to a near minimum, but the maps were pretty bad so it ruined the experience anyways.

Halo 2 was more like chess. You knew what everyone was capable of. And you could control the board if you made the right moves. You knew you had to keep your distance just in case he had rockets, shotty or sword. There were no surprises. No guessing.

So now when I get my game and play it a while... My friend wants to join me. I have played through all the specializations... He hasn't. He only wants to play with me. What happens then? Is he stuck playing with nothing while everyone else has other stuff. Sure sounds fair, right? Are you expecting that to be a catalyst for desire to play more?

My faith for H4 multiplayer is down to about 5% or so. I will play at least for SP. but the multiplayer has become increasingly more stupidly complex and erratic with each iteration. I go into reach and I hate everything about it. I play it because its the only halo game that still has a huge sizable portion of players. But I get irritated choosing AA and gun combos, get annoyed with just about everything. When I can't find comfort because of the randomization that's occuring, that's telling. I like the gunplay. I like some portions of grenade play that's been destroyed by awful map design and I outright hate the vehicles. They are death traps. Hate the assassinations. I don't even have an option of disabling them. I don't want to see them.

I go into games and feel left out when everyone has all this cool shit and I don't. Oh I gotta play like 10,000 more games to unlock something I connect with? Oh. Yay. Achievements added all the time, armor unlocking on specific days. Tasks you must do. Oh. There's challenges? Ugh. I want to play to become better and for the game to show that I'm better. I don't want to be a decorator. I set up my character maybe a few times and I never do it again.

I preferred halo 2 to this bastardized experience. Unlockables. Randomization. Trying to make the game more "real". Why is everything so damn complicated now?

I used to play halo 1 at parties, played halo 2 in leagues. But ever since that point the core mechanic has been increasingly buried beneath crap that I can't recommend it to anyone due to how complicated the games have become and how much devotion is required to even find satisfaction. Now I can't even recommend it to my close friends because they'll be behind the progression curve? Smart.

I just want halo to be fun again, is that too hard to ask?

Salt everywhere.

So no one knows if your gameplay changing specialization choice is permanent with no option to choose another?

What do you mean "choose another?" It sounds like once you hit level 50, you get an imaginary "token" to pick a spec. Once you do, you level up another 10 levels, and get another imaginary token to pick another spec.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What do you mean "choose another?" It sounds like once you hit level 50, you get an imaginary "token" to pick a spec. Once you do, you level up another 10 levels, and get another imaginary token to pick another spec.

I think there will be a couple specializations available at launch and then they're slowly unlocked by 343.

Bulletin tomorrow Efinit

PNut

Banned
I preferred halo 2 to this bastardized experience. Unlockables. Randomization. Trying to make the game more "real". Why is everything so damn complicated now?

COD and BF happened. They sell millions and millions and for a FPS console game to compete it has to do the same. It's never going back to the old days of Halo.

Maybe look forward to what Bungie is going to release?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
COD and BF happened. They sell millions and millions and for a FPS console game to compete it has to do the same. It's never going back to the old days of Halo.

Maybe look forward to what Bungie is going to release?

Cod and BF happened? Who cares?

I've been lining up every damn midnight release to buy halo games, not call of duty rip offs.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/natedog4000/0046-change_1024x768.jpg

I'm open to change, just not an absolute massacre of core gameplay on the hopes some kids will confuse it for call of duty

COD and BF happened. They sell millions and millions and for a FPS console game to compete it has to do the same.
No it really doesn't.

The opposite is true in fact. You stand out from the crowd and you offer something different. This isn't some niche game series - its the flagship title and has the full weight of MS games behind it. It doesn't have to sell itself short.

Regardless, I'm in for campaign and Spartan Ops, but multiplayer has a lot to prove.

MLG settings will save Halo 4, as it did Halo 3, don't worry. Possibly. Maybe. ...

The more MLG strays from the base game, the more they limit their potential audience, and I think most people would want Halo 4 to be changed dramatically. Add in that Halo 4 doesn't have a spectator mode that would make the game much easier and much cheaper for MLG to use, and it doesn't seem like incredibly attractive for MLG.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wouldn't it make more sense to release the information on Halo's official website, then let the press have at it?

I guess you gotta show the media some love.

edit: Cyren, I think he's saying let Halowaypoint put the info up and then all the media sites will report it. The thing is though that it probably wouldn't get first story on front page of IGN without the exclusive deal made with them.

JackHerer

Wouldn't it make more sense to release the information on Halo's official website, then let the press have at it?

Not really. It's about publicity. They will get a more diverse audience by letting IGN cover it. Not everyone who will (or could potentially) buy Halo 4 frequents Waypoint so this actually makes sense. It is annoying though.

Edit: At least clarification will (hopefully) come tomorrow so it's really not that bad as far as that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom