• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbeam

Predictability of outcome is really important when playing a game, as is knowing my opponent's capabilities. When I do X, Y happens. It enables us to make decisions about what to do in a given situation.

With Reach, bloom and armor abilities to various degrees messed with this. That was bad.

Halo 4 appears to be making things worse.

Sometimes when I sneak up on someone sniping, they won't be able to see me coming. Sometimes, they'll be able to see me because of a perk they have active.

Sometimes me pinging them will impair their ability to fire back. Sometimes not because their reticule recoil is suppressed.

Sometimes tagging a rampaging Warthog with an EMP from the plasma pistol will stop it. Some times it will keep going.

Sometimes I'll chew up a Warthog and call out it's low health to my team, who can kill it. Sometimes it's health will come back faster.

Sometimes I'll strip someone's shields at the same time they do mine, and we'll fall back and recharge at the same rate. Sometimes theirs will be faster. Sometimes I'll be faster.

Sometimes I'll hear that guy sprinting up on me with a sword. Sometimes his sound will be suppressed.

And so on. None of these things sound good to me. None of them sound like they will improve the game at all.

I agree with Dax's post on early access to the specializations. Giving gamers who have played longer an advantage over those who have not is poor design. Giving players who spend more money early access to perks is bad marketing.

More and more Halo 4 is turning into something I've been afraid it would turn into, as part of what I loved about Halo's multiplayer game is sapped from it. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the tweaks are all so small as to not matter. But reading the IGN article just made me kinda sad. I wish this wasn't being done to Halo.

I don't normally post here but I love Halo or at least what it could be. The above nicely summarizes my own thoughts. Sadly I agree with these comments 100%.

Vire

There was extra information about level caps and such that I talked about in the interview. I don't control what quotes hit the cutting room floor.
Putting sprinkles on a pile of shit isn't going to make it better.

still love you guys

Blissful

Neo Member
There was extra information about level caps and such that I talked about in the interview. I don't control what quotes hit the cutting room floor.

Excuse my ignorance. Thank you for clarifying that. I hope we can hear the proper information in tomorrows bulletin.

Fracas

#fuckonami
When you hired the multiplayer designers are you sure they were fans of Halo and not Call of Duty?

Because none of this is what should be in a Halo game. Halo is all about an even playing field and letting skill decide who wins out. This brings in other variables.

Putting sprinkles on a pile of shit isn't going to make it better.

still love you guys

Gatdamn.

feel

Yup, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. In previous Halo games, I could get the jump on someone and still lose because they were a better player. Now I could lose because they picked different perks than I did.

To the bold, I had a phrase I edited out before posting that was going for something like this. I called it "perk bloom". You never know what you're going to get when you pull the trigger on someone. I think you put it better.
I think this type of gameplay is not necessarily bad or wrong, and I can see why many people could really love it (judging by COD's popularity), it's just disappointing seeing Halo, one of the last bastions or safe havens for equal starts and predictability, adopt it too.

I just broke down and bought Minecraft for Xbox. I've had it on PC since Alpha.

Couple of buds really wanted me to get it, now I'm having buyer's remorse and feel like I just pissed away $20.

Someone please make me feel like I spent $20 on a justified purpose. Pls.

Halo.
I was in the exact same position. Why did I allow myself to get convinced to double dip on an inferior version? A couple of hours later of having an absolute blast on it with my console friends and it was all forgotten.

MrDaravon

I don't normally post here but I love Halo or at least what it could be. The above nicely summarizes my own thoughts. Sadly I agree with these comments 100%.

This. I love Halo AND Call of Duty, but I enjoy them for completely different reasons. Halo 4 seems to be heading in a weird middle of the road position between "traditional" Halo and Call of Duty. They either should just go all the way with it or not, this seems like they felt that they had to make it more like Call of Duty, but just couldn't (or wouldn't) fully commit. This just feels awkward.

now we have a progressive system which ranks everyone up regardless of their win or loss it sorts of take out that drive to actually want to win a game.
This is so fallacious. People want to win matches, period. In-game reward systems only stands to bolster that drive; you can't "take away" that drive with an incentive system (unless you designed it backwards, like rewarding losing more than winning).

Reach gives credit bonuses to winning teams--meaning winners rank up faster than losers, Arena is based solely on winning, and your win % even factors into outside systems like BPR.

Rewarding players for completing games discourages quitting for those invested in the incentive system. Which is a good thing.

Vire

Excuse my salt. I call it like it is. I always give praise when they do something to impress me and I try to be as fair as possible, but this is so incredibly dissapointing - especially after everything else showing so much promise.

Of course I'm still getting the game, but I can't help but feel slightly betrayed. I thought Halo was above trying to copy Call of Duty, but I guess not.

I'll try and keep as much of an open mind as possible but for the reasons outlined above by Ghaleon it's hard to see how any amount of sugar coating will improve this whole mess.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Excuse my salt. I call it like it is. I always give praise when they do something to impress me and I try to be as fair as possible, but this is so incredibly dissapointing - especially after everything else showing so much promise.

Of course I'm still getting the game, but I can't help but feel slightly betrayed.

I'll try and keep as much of an open mind as possible but for the reasons outlined above by Ghaleon it's hard to see how any amount of sugar coating will improve this whole mess.
Haha, I agree with you for the most part.

It's sad, looking back through the old Halo OT's, perks were actually mentioned there. when the "first look" video was released. We all shot it down as false, and if I remember correctly, so did Frank/David (I may be mistaken here).

You can't really argue against the fact that Halo as we have known it is pretty much gone. It's not necessarily a bad thing; this may be the best Halo game ever made (I still have crazy high hype for campaign). That said, it's kind of weird to see all of this change at once.

I do personally think that a month or so after release, all the overpowered loadouts will be prevalent and exploited. I don't see any way how all of these variable can be balanced perfectly.

I kind of get the feeling that 343 isn't making most of the decisions related to Halo 4, and that gameplay elements are being ordered from high up in Microsoft.
That too.

789shadow

Banned
I kind of get the feeling that 343 isn't making most of the decisions related to Halo 4, and that gameplay elements are being ordered from high up in Microsoft.

Caja 117

This is so fallacious. People want to win matches, period. In-game reward systems only stands to bolster that drive, you can't "take away" that drive with an incentive system..

Im not going into an argument about this, but if you could get a gold medal regardless if you win or loose, why bother trying? Don't call it fallacious when every known type of game play be it sports or otherwise people play to win it when they know there is something on the line, when there is nothing on the line is just turns repetitive and boring.

BTW, these win credit bonuses only help to complete faster something that you are going to get eventually.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
HALO IS RUINED, RUUUUUUUIIIINNNEEDDD!

/Tired.

Night all, don't let this stuff get to you. We don't have the whole picture yet. Also, it's a video game. :p

If Halo 4 only has the XP ranking system with matchmaking being backed by trueskill, then what would prevent someone from purposely losing games so that they only get matched with bad players? Like, why not have guests just die a whole bunch or only play with bad friends so that your trueskill stays low while your kd soars?

Like Letters said though, maybe all this shit is fun. But one of the many reasons I don't play CoD because I don't like how somebody could have more health then me, or a Last Stand, or a grenade will come out of their ass, and you there's no real visual indicator on the battlefield what they have, and battles are over before they even begun. Some call it dynamic and exciting, I call it random and annoying.

I just don't play Halo for this kind of stuff. And I hope they remember that I'm far from alone in thinking that.

DeadNames

Banned
What the hell is up with those armors? They look so weird...

And specializations don't seem too bad... I mean yeah, some are more OP than others, but in the big picture, they don't seem to bad.

GhaleonEB

I'm getting on Reach for some Firefight. Anyone else interested in the Firefight Experience(tm) come join me plz.

Or normal multi, but I'd like to attempt a FF lobby for once..

I'm hopping on, hoping to get Firefight Limited voted in on maps everyone hates. We'll see how it goes.

I wish 343 had thought to allow us to zoom in on a player and then get popups in the corners of our HUD that displayed that player's AA and support/tactical packages.

Wait, Bregg, did you change your name?
Yeah, but I just switched it back, after Tashi made his name short it just wasn't cool anymore. I'm also done with my wolf phase and back to puppetRoche.

Roche and I are two different people.

Vire

HALO IS RUINED, RUUUUUUUIIIINNNEEDDD!

/Tired.

Night all, don't let this stuff get to you. We don't have the whole picture yet. Also, it's a video game. :p
Sure it's a video game. But it's also a series I've literally sunk thousands of hours into and remains my all time favorite. What else kind of reaction did you expect? People need to vent somewhere and I guess this is the best avenue.

I apologize if I came off brash, but this franchise means a lot to me.

Pop

If Halo 4 only has the XP ranking system with matchmaking being backed by trueskill, then what would prevent someone from purposely losing games so that they only get matched with bad players? Like, why not have guests just die a whole bunch or only play with bad friends so that your trueskill stays low while your kd soars?

You just broke all of H4 ranking system, 343i going to have to scrapped everything and implement Reach ranking system in before launch. THX man

:)

heckfu

Banned
If all goes as planned, the next HaloGAF Radio will be bananas!

omg we're on page 343!!!!

image.php

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sure it's a video game. But it's also a series I've literally sunk thousands of hours into and remains my all time favorite. What else kind of reaction did you expect? People need to vent somewhere and I guess this is the best avenue.

I apologize if I came off brash, but this franchise means a lot to me.

No worries Vire. I get ya.

I've just been trying to get people to realize that we don't know everything yet. No need to stress yourself out until the game ships. :)

We wouldn't be here if we didn't care about Halo. Look at us, we're all nerds. Even Heckfu.

Im not going into an argument about this, but if you could get a gold medal regardless if you win or loose, why bother trying? Don't call it fallacious when every known type of game play be it sports or otherwise people play to win it when they know there is something on the line, when there is nothing on the line is just turns repetitive and boring.
I will call it fallacious, because it is. People played online games and wanted to win matches long before incentive systems were attached.

Adding a superficial experience system can not diminish our natural inclination towards competition.

Trey

I will call it fallacious, because it is. People played online games and wanted to win matches long before incentive systems were attached.

Adding a superficial experience system can not diminish our natural inclination towards competition.

Some people begin to play the system more than the game itself. They like shiny things, you see? Things that make them feel better.

That's why we have all this glam and shine in Halo 4. For those people. I'm sure there will be an accompanying ranking system to really slap that itch.

Underneath it all, though, will be what really counts.

PNut

Banned
Read the IGN article and left confused like most. A Vidoc explaining how all the specializations work would of been a better way to go about it imo. Whatever.

The simple fact that there is no Reach bloom, no AL, good netcode, you move faster and jump higher has me excited for Halo 4.

Now I hope the maps are fun to play and there's some resemblance of a competitive Halo playlist besides MLG.

Caja 117

But a rewards system does help people keep interest in such games, People like to get rewarded for their efforts. and there is a big different between not having any incentive at all, than having any given incentive, which the game has, and is what we are talking about.

Vire

The Bravo video did allieviate a few of my concerns, but definitely not completely.

Being able to see a marker over an enemy who killed you still sounds incredibly bad. The accuracy one also is very worrisome.

Hopefully tommorows Bulletin will shed light on these and make them seem a lot less powerful than they sound. A video certainly wouldn't hurt either.

willow ve

Predictability of outcome is really important when playing a game, as is knowing my opponent's capabilities. When I do X, Y happens. It enables us to make decisions about what to do in a given situation.

With Reach, bloom and armor abilities to various degrees messed with this. That was bad.

Halo 4 appears to be making things worse.

Sometimes when I sneak up on someone sniping, they won't be able to see me coming. Sometimes, they'll be able to see me because of a perk they have active.

Sometimes me pinging them will impair their ability to fire back. Sometimes not because their reticule recoil is suppressed.

Sometimes tagging a rampaging Warthog with an EMP from the plasma pistol will stop it. Some times it will keep going.

Sometimes I'll chew up a Warthog and call out it's low health to my team, who can kill it. Sometimes it's health will come back faster.

Sometimes I'll strip someone's shields at the same time they do mine, and we'll fall back and recharge at the same rate. Sometimes theirs will be faster. Sometimes I'll be faster.

Sometimes I'll hear that guy sprinting up on me with a sword. Sometimes his sound will be suppressed.

And so on. None of these things sound good to me. None of them sound like they will improve the game at all.

I agree with Dax's post on early access to the specializations. Giving gamers who have played longer an advantage over those who have not is poor design. Giving players who spend more money early access to perks is bad marketing.

More and more Halo 4 is turning into something I've been afraid it would turn into, as part of what I loved about Halo's multiplayer game is sapped from it. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the tweaks are all so small as to not matter. But reading the IGN article just made me kinda sad. I wish this wasn't being done to Halo.

It was a sad sad day when Reach was revealed and it was shown that Halo was no longer a true arena shooter. I'm not entirely sure who they are trying to cater to with Halo 4, but it isn't really the fans of the "old Halo" or "feels like Halo" kids. That type of Halo is dead and buried in our nostalgia, our Gamer Fuel dreams, and our push to keep a game at the top of the most played list for three full years.

Maybe what they're doing with 4 will work out splendidly. Maybe it will turn into an also ran that fails to compete with COD, FIFA, Minecraft, etc. At one point I had great hope that 343 was going to turn the tide and head back to the true arena shooter roots that is the core of what a Halo game is supposed to be. Now I'm growing more afraid that Reach simply opened Pandora's box and it was filled with continuous progression, unlockable abilities, perks, weapon drops, and every other design decision that lends itself to rock paper scissors gameplay and full class based shooters.

I might be tired, and as such over analyzing, but all of these changes don't feel like Halo to me. Halo was a game where all soldiers entered equally and the outcome was determined by skill, strategy, and team work (or host advantage). That should be the "golden tripod" that Halo is built around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom