• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocamola

Banned
What is also ironic, watching this stream the text on the screen when you get a kill is very small and off to the side. Not in the middle of the screen like Halo 4.

Feels like these games are swapping places.

Beckx

Halo gameplay appeals to me more than Call of Duty.

Same here. Plus CoD could offer the greatest gameplay in the world, but I also care about setting & genre, and have zero interest in modern military. I want a great playing Sci-Fi FPS with rayguns and shields and shiny things.

JonCha

I'll give the game a chance (at this point though, only because I get the game for free), but all it look's like to me is more of the stuff from Reach that I never wanted in a Halo game.

I'm all for change; it's a way to progress. What I don't like is unneccessary changes, or changes that make things worse. Solid, balanced gameplay will never go out of style and last's a heck of a lot longer than unlocking an armor set at level 50.

Sprint makes people move faster, sure, but from what I've seen the kill times are still agonizingly slow. I would love for Halo to return to faster gameplay, like it had in the first two games, but it doesn't look like that's the case for Halo 4.

All I can see is slow, plodding firefights with a bunch of added fluff on the top that doesn't increase the depth of gameplay, it just makes it more busy.

I'm all for a balanced game; you're not the kind of person I see reacting well to change.

Halo 4 doesn't look slow. At least the core experience doesn't look slow. It's when you're introducing Hardlight Shield, and perks increasing health regeneration, the games slows down.

cocamola

Banned
Dat on screen text.
24179849.png

blop2.png

Watching the stream, CoD's gunplay still looks incredibly boring to me.

Yeah the stream is extremely boring, I dont know why decided these guys where pro's but I kind of wish they just placed a team of good players against crap players and let us watch guys run and gun. Thats what Black Ops is fun for, these guys are too defensive.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There's no Black Ops 2 thread on GAF? That's so weird

/sarcasm

Any idea what time the bulletin will be up today? Gonna tweet Jess to find out.

I feel like I just watched my favorite sports team choke in the championship game. I wonder if 343 feels a bit salty.

Yeah, this hurts bad.

Protip: Treyarch was lurking HaloGAF to lure us over.

Also, lol @ 55k viewers on twitch on a wednesday afternoon for east coasters.

I remember when that used to be us to a degree :'D

Enfinit

There's no Black Ops 2 thread on GAF? That's so weird

/sarcasm

Any idea what time the bulletin will be up today? Gonna tweet Jess to find out.

Bulletin will most likely get published at the end of the work day, so like 6-9 PM EST.

EDIT: Theater mode.

GhaleonEB

I mentioned this in the other thread on the gaming side, but this occured to me this morning and it really bothers me.

Described by 343 Industries as “Spartan optimization for target shadowing missions which require tactical invisibility despite operating at an extremely close range to the target itself,” the Stalker packs the Nemesis armor mod, a passive skill that, according to Ellis, “Pops up on the HUD an icon of the last person that killed you.” It also tracks enemies who've attacked but not killed you as well, making it useful for both retaliation and revenge. Teams that communicate well can make fantastic use of this perk.

Situation: I'm near the enemy base, having worked my way through the map and deep into their territory. I kill someone near the base, and quickly dash into the base and hide in it, working toward the flag. The player I killed had this perk, and can tell his entire team what my new position is, despite no one having seen me move to my new position. They converge and kill me.

Or

I get into the enemy base and snag a flag, killing a couple guys in the process. (Hey, it happens now and then.) One of them has this perk. Now they can see and track me as I escape with the flag, putting a waypoint on the escaping flag carrier.

So long as a couple guys back defending an objective have this perk enabled, they will be able to recon the attacking team's position if they are killed.

Someone please explain to me how this is not game breaking for objectives.

At the end of the day, CoD still has shitty connections and netcode (where I live) and kill times so short that the entire sandbox is scrunched into killtimes of about 2 seconds (+/- .5 seconds).

Halo, even with a bunch of baggage and bloat, still wins for me. In theory.

If Halo 4 ends up being a disappointment I'll probably just take a break from multiplayer FPS games for a while rather than going back to CoD. I'm not that desperate, and there's plenty to do in life other than play video games.

Gazzawa

Yeah the stream is extremely boring, I dont know why decided these guys where pro's but I kind of wish they just placed a team of good players against crap players and let us watch guys run and gun. Thats what Black Ops is fun for, these guys are too defensive.

I'm glad i didn't tune in. the hardcore tactical cod. Seems like an awful waste of features when its played conservatively.

I mentioned this in the other thread on the gaming side, but this occured to me this morning and it really bothers me.

Situation: I'm near the enemy base, having worked my way through the map and deep into their territory. I kill someone near the base, and quickly dash into the base and hide in it, working toward the flag. The player I killed had this perk, and can tell his entire team what my new position is, despite no one having seen me move to my new position. They converge and kill me.

Or

I get into the enemy base and snag a flag, killing a couple guys in the process. (Hey, it happens now and then.) One of them has this perk. Now they can see and track me as I escape with the flag, putting a waypoint on the escaping flag carrier.

So long as a couple guys back defending an objective have this perk enabled, they will be able to recon the attacking team's position if they are killed.

And even if the answer to this is "Well we'll disable it in Objective," why can't you just come up with some things that don't have to be chopped and screwed to fit into all the different game modes?

JonCha

I've always been skeptical over Call of Duty. I've always wanted balanced games, in Halo and Call of Duty. I liked Black Ops because, mostly, it's balanced. I hate Halo: Reach because it's unbalanced.

I'll play Black Ops if it's balanced, and I'll ditch Halo 4 if it's not.

GhaleonEB

And even if the answer to this is "Well we'll disable it in Objective," why can't you just come up with some things that don't have to be chopped and screwed to fit into all the different game modes?

If the answer is that it's disabled in objectives, that would be good information to roll out alongside the reveal of the ablilty, so I hope it's clarified soon. Even so, in Slayer game types, say you get killed by the guy who has rockets. Now you can tell your team where the guy who has rockets has moved to, despite not being able to see him.

The player who killed you with rockets is punished because the player he killed has a perk he is not aware of.

Keeping it out of objectives makes it less bad, but I really fail to see how this does not damage the game.

Or

Why is that how it works?

It feels like a large assumption.

Ok, all we know is something pops up on the HUD. Does it only pop up when that player is in your field of vision? If a whole team rushes a point and you can see them all, except the guy who killed you last is highlighted by your HUD when you see him.

Now, if if works as you suggest, yeah, it's OP as fuck. I just think 343 have simply not given us enough info to know how it works for sure :/ Let's hope the bulletin clears things up.

If Halo 4 ends up being a disappointment I'll probably just take a break from multiplayer FPS games for a while rather than going back to CoD. I'm not that desperate, and there's plenty to do in life other than play video games.
Temporarily retire from FPS Games and enter Reality for a change?
You think this is.... A Freaking Game!?!?
:p

heckfu

Banned
At the end of the day, CoD still has shitty connections and netcode (where I live) and kill times so short that the entire sandbox is scrunched into killtimes of about 2 seconds (+/- .5 seconds).

Halo, even with a bunch of baggage and bloat, still wins for me. In theory.

I agree about killtimes. The only mode in CoD I truly enjoy is hardcore because it reduces the UI, removes the radar, and is overall more enjoyable.

HOWEVER, it is not skill based in terms of gunplay because it makes the bullets more realistic and becomes a "you shoot first, you win" scenario. While Halo has always been different, I feel like these specializations and loadouts are giving us the tools to make the game play to our strengths and utilize them.

I realize that what I'm saying is the exact equivalent of lowering the skill gap but what we're sometimes failing to realize is that we have the exact same chance to help ourselves as others have helped augment their Spartan to help them.

Something tells me that no matter what an opponent has, folks like Over, Kyle, and the like will still be able to kill them because they have fantastic situational awareness and gun-savvy. It may be more difficult when they kill someone and a waypoint gets put over their head from the whatever-class that does that, but we also don't know if that class has a downside, i.e., you get waypoints over others heads but they may also have one over theirs indicating that it is in effect and they're using it.

Just tossing out ideas. Cautious optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom