• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PAX Prime is in 2 weeks. Hype.
Hopefully the Halo 4 build there has all the armor abilities (namely Active Camo and Jetpack).
Would love some reassurance on those.

zap

OT but I am running the Windows 8 90-day eval.

How fap is it? So fap.

I might be exaggerating the new car smell. But it's just like real butter!

I downloaded it today, I'm going to set it up dual booting on my laptop which is pretty old... so I'm not sure how it'll go. I'll be building myself a desktop at the end of the year so I want to decide whether to go with Win 8 or 7.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nothing about windows 8 looks appealing to me :/
It's the performance for me really. I certainly do prefer certain UI elements of 7 over 8.
I downloaded it today, I'm going to set it up dual booting on my laptop which is pretty old... so I'm not sure how it'll go. I'll be building myself a desktop at the end of the year so I want to decide whether to go with Win 8 or 7.
Well Windows 8 is more optimized than Windows 7.

zap

I seem the be one of the few pro-Metro. Don't get why people are so against change.

It looks kinda awkward and clunky with a mouse. It looks amazing for a tablet, however. I like the efforts towards unifying apps across all the platforms as well, seems like a logical step in the right direction.

I'm a linux kinda guy; I create more than I consume.

As a consumer, Metro is amazing, wonderful UI (Which is why I own a Windows phone).

As a creator, I'm still skeptical. The only real reason I use Windows (7) these days is for Visual Studio (XNA and some SQL stuff I have to do in C#)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I seem the be one of the few pro-Metro. Don't get why people are so against change.
I'm just used to the original is all.

Well a good benchmark has come in and it turns out it's actually almost neck and neck with W7:

Still I do feel it's running better for me as I stated in the W8 thread:
Well it might be the fresh install but currently Windows 8 does seem to be performing better for me than Windows 7 specifically one thing I've noticed is that 1080p videos on youtube and vimeo aren't having any framedrops outside of when I start playing them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Is this different from the Customer Preview version I've been running for the past few months?

If so, where do I grab the updated version?
Not sure if it's the same but: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

Via the article I found about it: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46925/get-windows-8-now-free

Microsoft has made a 90-day trial version of Windows 8 available for download. It's intended for developers and IT professionals to evaluate the final build of the new operating system before its official release on 26 October, but anybody can check it out.

FyreWulff

Playing the Mann vs Machine update tonight, and if Halo's Firefight ever decides to come back.. it definitely needs an element where you can build defensive structures.

I could seriously just play Engineer in MvM for the rest of time.

Fuchsdh

It's the performance for me really. I certainly do prefer certain UI elements of 7 over 8.

Well Windows 8 is more optimized than Windows 7.

They could have just gone the OS X route of alternating releases where the second release is more a refinement of the previous one...

I give Microsoft props for being ballsy and trying something new, the problem is that they just utterly fail at doing anything right. They build their own tablet and don't involve any of the Xbox guys? They go for creating one Windows OS to rule them all, and then create Windows RT as well?

TheOddOne

Playing the Mann vs Machine update tonight, and if Halo's Firefight ever decides to come back.. it definitely needs an element where you can build defensive structures.

I could seriously just play Engineer in MvM for the rest of time.
Would be cool if Firefight had a class based playlist.

Hopefully the Halo 4 build there has all the armor abilities (namely Active Camo and Jetpack).

So is it 100 percent confirmed that Halo 4 will be there? I'm flying in from Florida mostly to experience Halo 4 for myself, and I don't want to get there, be disappointed and head straight for the bar. Disappointed drinking is the worst drinking.

So is it 100 percent confirmed that Halo 4 will be there? I'm flying in from Florida mostly to experience Halo 4 for myself, and I don't want to get there, be disappointed and head straight for the bar. Disappointed drinking is the worst drinking.
There is a big Halo 4 panel. I do think it will be on the show floor as well.

m23

We get to try it out next week in Toronto, I can`t wait! There is so much other stuff to do at FanExpo, but I may just keep standing in line to play Halo 4.

Pop

Guys about to head to DFW Airport to pick up a friend that's going to be staying with me for a week. She's also a Halo player. Should be fun times ahead.

Go Halo

Omni

So I finally caught up with the bulletin and whatnot... and I have to say that this:

Nemesis Armor Mod: The Nemesis armor mod allows users to target and track down previous attacking enemies, highlighting them on the armor’s passive sensors.

Nemesis armor – which features lines that are both strong and stealthy – gives you an icon on your HUD of the last person that killed you. While some people utilize it to get revenge, others use it to avoid that person (for obvious reasons). It’s also useful when playing defense for seeing where an offensive player is going. On maps with limited visibility, Nemesis can provide a short window of intelligence in the movement of enemy players or teams, allowing a respawning team to react and steal a match. In play testing, we’ve seen players trusting the extra information implicitly and falling for feints or being target fixated with the extra information and being lured into unfavorable situations. As with everything in Halo, this upgrade allows you to tailor your play to your style but remember that the enemy team is aware of the ability and will be countering and often using it or another option to tip the scales back in their favor.

still sounds fucking stupid. Not to mention overpowered.

Saying that, I honestly still don't understand the need for it... at all. Someone keeps sneaking behind you? Use the god damn motion tracker! Someone is camping around a corner? Use PV or whatever it's called. At this rate 343i might as well make every wall invisible.

Other than that, I'm not really concerned about multiplayer any more. At the very least it could be fun for a while.

/rant.

Somewhat OT, but has anyone ever heard of Blue team winning Snipers on Hemorrhage? Just played three straight matches of it and Red won them all by 20+.

It is a huge problem but they're not looking for solutions (using the simple Forge tools at their disposal) yet, curiously, they're not going to remove it from matchmaking despite the fact it causes blue team players to regularly quit (sometimes before the game begins!) due to the imbalance of their spawn and the relentless subjugation from the red teams ludicrously favourable teleporter exit placement.

Fuchsdh

Metro, both in my usage and in concept doesn't feel designed for a desktop setup, which is where I use Windows.

I'm sure it would be great on a phone/tablet.

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't just make a Windows 8 tablet/phone and then blend in the best elements of Metro and fully integrate them in Windows 8 for desktop.

checkboxes-and-dropdowns.png

Can someone explain why Windows still doesn't have font smoothing? It's been 12 years since OS X came out, guys. If you wanted to make your UI look better that's the biggest obstacle.

On-topic: Are people going to be able to record the PAX panel for us remote peeps?

One week until I get my hands on Halo 4. Can't wait! Getting to Fan Expo on Thursday. I'm hoping the lineup won't be too long.

There is a big Halo 4 panel. I do think it will be on the show floor as well.

Halo 4 is on the show floor at Fan Expo next week in Canada. I received an email from MS yesterday. I have to imagine it will be at PAX as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't wait to see the new build at PAX. Hopefully they have specializations in the mix.

Got an 8GB card from Amazon for my camera. Should be good to go for PAX coverage.

NOKYARD

Can you stream while using it?
Yes, the Elgato Game Capture HD is perfect for streaming because it features hardware h.264 encoding. You are only limited by the performance of your computer, and your upstream bandwidth. Keeping in mind you also need bandwidth for the 360.

This is my first attempt so the settings still need considerable tweaking (15fps / 1200Kbps).

I haven't used it yet, but the built in PVR seems like a killer feature. Before, if you wanted to share that once in a lifetime assassination you would have to leave your friends behind, go into theater mode, load the game film, FF to the right spot, record and save your a clip, setup your capture gear, capture the clip, encode to h.264, open a browser and navigate to your YT channel, upload the clip.

With the Game Caprure HD you find the clip in the timeline, set start and endpoints, click the YouTube button and fill out the upload form right in the software (you can set defaults for the upload form). This can be done while searching for players. By the time the next match is over your video is ready to share, assuming your Youtube upload doesn't cause you to red bar (mine did).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Don't forget to pack your resume.

Kyle, I already sent a box of 200 ahead. Why so salty?

Just because I find it would be cool to work on Halo, after all the community stuff I've done in the industry so far doesn't mean I cannot still critique Halo. You don't have to hate a developer to be able to critique their game.

Also, SLRP.

EDIT: OddOne's Gif sums it up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You're cool.

a zoojoo

Banned
At 16 to 30 seconds in that trailer, it sounds like it's gonna turn into the back to the future theme.

Awesome.
Lol ya it does, here it is for comparison
Yeah I don't understand why they didn't just make a Windows 8 tablet/phone and then blend in the best elements of Metro and fully integrate them in Windows 8 for desktop.

checkboxes-and-dropdowns.png

Can someone explain why Windows still doesn't have font smoothing? It's been 12 years since OS X came out, guys. If you wanted to make your UI look better that's the biggest obstacle.

On-topic: Are people going to be able to record the PAX panel for us remote peeps?
God, that UI looks like shit. It looks like someone is running a cheap Linux mock up of Windows 7 on a computer designed for Windows 95

Also, music wise, the trailer right here sounds like the One Final Effort theme.

Am I right in surmising that the armor mods give us a visual queue (i.e. armor attachments) so our opponents can tell what we're using? That's what I'm getting from all the description of the Specializations in the Bulletin. If that's the case, it's a great idea.

sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum already; this thread moves at incredible speeds now with so many people.

heckfu

Banned
Blops2 just posted an album on Facebook of screenshots of their levels and the names...they all look the same. Again.

This isn't the fanboy in me, but save 2 or 3 maps every Call of Duty map has seemed really similar to me and realllly boring.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Am I right in surmising that the armor mods give us a visual queue (i.e. armor attachments) so our opponents can tell what we're using? That's what I'm getting from all the description of the Specializations in the Bulletin. If that's the case, it's a great idea.

sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum already; this thread moves at incredible speeds now with so many people.

I honestly couldn't tell. I know that you don't have to use the armor you unlock in that 10 levels of specialization rank-up, but I couldn't see a way to tell who is using what...

Blops2 just posted an album on Facebook of screenshots of their levels and the names...they all look the same. Again.

This isn't the fanboy in me, but save 2 or 3 maps every Call of Duty map has seemed really similar to me and realllly boring.

There a jungle map again yet? Hoping Halo has a neat jungle MP map. It's something that hasn't been done a lot in Halo at least.

Also, since when did "taking a resume with you" become some kind of joke? How dare people have jobs and ambitions! How dare they want to work for a cool company! /offtopic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom