• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Am I right in surmising that the armor mods give us a visual queue (i.e. armor attachments) so our opponents can tell what we're using? That's what I'm getting from all the description of the Specializations in the Bulletin. If that's the case, it's a great idea.

sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum already; this thread moves at incredible speeds now with so many people.

If they aren't wearing the armor I assume its like a back pocket surprise! Just like a Halo 2 sword. Something passive to turn the tide of the battle and the card is only revealed when you engage the enemy.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Campaign does look impressive. Large scale like Halo 3 with amazing set pieces. I just hope 343 don't pull a Bungie and show the most amazing campaign moments in trailers and leave them for when people get their hands on the game (talking about scarab fights in Halo 3).

Also, since it's pretty much confirmed that getting descoped is removed from infinity gametypes, is this a toggle option or is it in everything including "classic" gametypes?

I honestly couldn't tell. I know that you don't have to use the armor you unlock in that 10 levels of specialization rank-up, but I couldn't see a way to tell who is using what...
Things like this make me think so:
"The Requisition armor mod – the helmet of which has a scanning device on the front of the visor..."​
"The Fast Track armor mod features armor that has wiring which runs throughout the armor ..."​
"Wheelman armor – which features cylinder packs..."​

It would make sense to have attachments that detail what type of mod one has. I swear I remember someone mentioning a while back that armor attachments would actually mean something in-game. I could be way off, though.

If they aren't wearing the armor I assume its like a back pocket surprise! Just like a Halo 2 sword. Something passive to turn the tide of the battle and the card is only revealed when you engage the enemy.
I really hope that type of engagement is gone. Not knowing what, if any, equipment someone had in H3 was infuriating, and the meager visual queues for AA's in Reach weren't much better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Things like this make me think so:
"The Requisition armor mod – the helmet of which has a scanning device on the front of the visor..."​
"The Fast Track armor mod features armor that has wiring which runs throughout the armor ..."​
"Wheelman armor – which features cylinder packs..."​

It would make sense to have attachments that detail what type of mod one has. I swear I remember someone mentioning a while back that armor attachments would actually mean something in-game. I could be way off, though.

Hmm, yeah. Basically like the cameras and stuff on the Reach helmets, but this time they actually mean something.

Overdoziz

Banned
Bulletin said:
These armor mods will work exactly like all other tactical and support mods in the game. They are not tied to specific armor for each Specialization, so you don’t have to wear the armor to use that particular mod.

Slow day? I like it. Slow HaloGAF is best HaloGAF.

The bulliten was great for clearing stuff up and a real confirmation of a "Classic" Playlist is great.

Hopefully that means the vast a majority are happy right?

Okay so Blops2 has some nifty features and thats cool and all but Ill be happy with Halo 4 as long as it provides

Good Length Solid Campaign
Host of Good Multiplayer Maps
Good Gameplay
Spartan Ops is as good as I hope.

Everything else is fluff for me.

The bulliten was great for clearing stuff up and a real confirmation of a "Classic" Playlist is great.

We still don't know what the 'classic' options are, and we still have no idea of whether the game has any competitive content at all. Those things are not fluff for many.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, we get that. More just wondering if there will be little pieces added to whatever armor you have on that indicate your "perks."

I doubt it now too, but who knows.

That would fit with their description as an "armor mod"; you pick your base armor and the armor mod adds little doohickeys to it.

That would fit with their description as an "armor mod"; you pick your base armor and the armor mod adds little doohickeys to it.
Exactly. Like what Reach did, but the attachments actually indicate something to an opponent besides liking ridiculously huge shoulder pads and helmetcams.

At least, that's the dream. If it's just more visual flair with no relevance, then it's a missed opportunity in my opinion.

"Halo 4 is the videogame equivalent of Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. "

Uh, I fucking hope not. >barf<

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
comparing it to Prometheus... scares me.

also: the article mentions that the first SpOps mission takes place on Requiem... this is the first time i hear it, previously there was only talk about "a planet". can someone here confirm this?

We knew about the setting of the first SpOps mission months ago.

It's a slight spoiler considering it takes places after the campaign, story wise.

Woorloog

Banned
We knew about the setting of the first SpOps mission months ago.

It's a slight spoiler considering it takes places after the campaign, story wise.

Meaning Halo 4 won't be like Halo CE in certain ways.

Comparing Halo 4 to Prometheus... Urgh. What a shitty movie, the only good thing in it was that it was visually nice.

But there is so much 343 isn’t telling us, and the devil will be in the detail of the new loadouts, XP and customisation options, which might concern longterm multiplayer fans. XP and upgrades will apparently be consistent across modes, so whatever else this brings, the purity of the Halo machine is gone, replaced by the grinding progression systems of the Modern Warfare era. Master Chief’s greatest enemy may turn out to be not the Forerunners, but the wrath of a community that has always celebrated Halo’s differences.

Perceptive as always, EDGE.

what now? did "we" know about the location for months, or is this a spoiler?

i know what "the dig" is about, but i thought it wasn't on requiem.
We've known for months.

Perceptive as always, EDGE.
They've always been "good" to Halo, in that they've always given it a chance, have an appreciation for it, so yeah, it's a bit gratifying to see them mention it.
1up had a similar article on that alone back in March.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Should have done (or should do) a HaloGaf fantasy (American-style) football league.

EDIT: For those that ordered the HaloGaf shirt, how long did it take to get to you? Says 5-10 business days, but there are only 8 business days until I leave for PAX.

Risen

Slow day? I like it. Slow HaloGAF is best HaloGAF.

Okay so Blops2 has some nifty features and thats cool and all but Ill be happy with Halo 4 as long as it provides

Good Length Solid Campaign
Host of Good Multiplayer Maps
Good Gameplay
Spartan Ops is as good as I hope.

Everything else is fluff for me.

I guess... I mean there seems to be little doubt H4 will be the most feature packed game developed for the 360... ever. No hype... Kick Ass campaign, Spartan Ops (like a second campaign), Forge, Theater, and MP. With each of those fleshed out and polished, I'm not sure there's anything out there as feature rich. Maybe Blops 2 comes close (Theater, Streaming, Broadcasting, Zombies, and Campaign)... but I can't help but think the campaign can't come close to the H4 offering, and Zombies can't match the depth of Spartan Ops. These two games look to be head and shoulders above the rest in terms of feature set and bang for the buck.

Having said that... based solely on information released to date, this is the first Halo where I have less hype for the MP, and am more excited for the campaign. The "evolution" of Halo, going where other MP games have gone in terms of "stuff" added to the game, makes me want to play it LESS, not more. I've gone from optimistic to wondering if I'll enjoy the default game play at all - and fearful that the "Classic" playlist will not be classic in important ways. The information delivered, and the way it has been released, makes me wonder if the competitive style of play traditionally found in Halo will be completely changed such that in order to scratch that competitive itch I'll be playing another game.

From the Classic list I'm looking for:

Minimal to no armor mods (perhaps limited to movement based mods if it's a must)
Power ups that spawn in static locations
Weapon spawns that spawn in static locations on specific timers
No specializations

In that Classic list I want to see some mix of:

A Hardcore hopper with no radar - consolidated with Objective types if needed
A Social hopper where some of the more fringe types of games can be played

If a Classic list is implemented with a mix of the "new hotness" it won't be classic. If there isn't some sort of stripped version of H4 delivered in a pretty specific way, I'm not sure what that means for me in terms of time invested in the game.

I'm excited overall for a new Halo... hyped even... but the MP info released to date has almost universally been stuff I don't care about and don't think it adds to the game play for ME. I hang my hopes on better movement than Reach, with hit scan weapons, with removal of bloom apart from a visual representation of when you can fire, better maps, and better implementation of abilities.

If that core game play is available in a stripped version of H4 in match making, that is not a half-measure of "classic" play, then I'll be pretty happy and likely play for a long while.
If it's not there... I dunno.

daedalius

So, when do we get the video describing what the Suppressor and Boltshot do?

I guess Boltshot is the Forerunner pistol, and Suppressor is Forerunner AR of some sort?

Hopefully the Boltshot shoots a round that explodes once it penetrates the target, resulting in a one shot kill after shields are down ;)

Woorloog

Banned

I guess Boltshot is the Forerunner pistol, and Suppressor is Forerunner AR of some sort?

Very likely this. I reckon Suppressor is a new name for "Repeater" that was mentioned during E3.

Fuchsdh

I understand why the Forerunner weapons are so analogous to human ones, but i wish they were more... Forerunnery and inscrutable, rather tha looking exactly like they act.

Hopefully the Boltshot shoots a round that explodes once it penetrates the target, resulting in a one shot kill after shields are down ;)

Probably after the Covenant one.

u4iX

I'm really excited to see the Boltshot.

Something tells me you'll be required to lead your shots, it'll be a fairly low number of shots to kill, but equally difficult to hit those shots.

It's got (I think) 10 shots in the magazine, which is the equivalent of dual wielding Maulers.

I think it'll also have a limited range, where perhaps the round it shoots actually evaporates in that Promethean way after a bit, but the round will be very powerful.

Think of a cross between the H1 Pistol, H3 Mauler, H3 Spiker, and GoW Boltok wrapped up in a badass little package equipped as a sidearm.

Woorloog

Banned
I understand why the Forerunner weapons are so analogous to human ones, but i wish they were more... Forerunnery and inscrutable, rather tha looking exactly like they act.

Didn't they, umm, construct themselves to suit their wielder or something?
Or do you mean specifically the way the act, shooting "bullets" instead of energy beams or something like that?

daedalius

If it came down to it, would you be able to live with having just one "classic" playlist?

They probably shouldn't have more than one anyway, we have already seen the effects of too many playlists in Reach.

It wouldn't bother me personally one way or the other, I doubt I'll be in the classic list ever.

Woorloog

Banned
They probably shouldn't have more than one anyway, we have already seen the effects of too many playlists in Reach.

It wouldn't bother me personally one way or the other, I doubt I'll be in the classic list ever.

My thoughts, exactly.

I'm inclined to think i'll be sticking with Infinity Slayer, more or less. Also BTB.

If it came down to it, would you be able to live with having just one "classic" playlist?
See this is real worry. The efforts to accommodate more traditional tastes previously haven't worked out.
Going by how these playlists have gone before... especially when you factor in population...
It feels like you're either okay with the new stuff or you're stuck in an odd man out inferior playlist that due to a wide range of factors becomes a dead zone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd be interested in a classic playlist. I like to change it up a bit from time to time. I agree with JC for 5v5 Slayer/Objective.

You could even just do two classic playlists, a 5v5 that combined slayer and objective, and BTB with slayer and objective.

FyreWulff

Predicting:

Infinity based:

Team Slayer 4v4
Team Objective 5v5
Big Team Battle 8v8
Free For All 8 Player

Non-Infinity:

whatever-counts-as-ranked 4v4
Team Classic 4v4
Team SWAT 4v4
Grab Bag 4v4 (Grifball, other Action-sack style gametypes)

You could even just do two classic playlists, a 5v5 that combined slayer and objective, and BTB with slayer and objective.

That was my hope, but I know how BTB playlists can get pretty low in population real quick. I'm gonna assume there's a BTB, maybe a ranked BTB(lulz), and whatever the hell big new gamemode that's replacing Invasion is. IDK if I want another BTB playlist. I think I might just deal with CoHalo wackiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom