• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Have we seen these yet?

2820879-web_preview.png

2820935-web_preview.png

One thing I didnt pick up on was this:

Stability Armor Mod: The Stability armor mod allows users to increase their aiming stability when being fired upon.

The Stability armor mod – which features several sharp fin elements and sharp angles – makes you flinch less when you’re zoomed in and getting hit. It will be valuable to players that prefer using precision weapons and often find themselves engaged in long-range battles. If two similarly skilled players, both with DMRs and using scopes go head-to-head, the person using Stability has a small advantage. Skill and steady hands will still win the day but Stability allows you to keep your aim on target when facing multiple bullet strikes.

So theres flinch? Eww.

Good update, not sure I like what I read, but im glad the effort was made to clarify to such detail.

Looking forward to trying out the Boltshot, hopefully the recoil isnt too insane lol.

Nemesis armor – which features lines that are both strong and stealthy – gives you an icon on your HUD of the last person that killed you. While some people utilize it to get revenge, others use it to avoid that person (for obvious reasons). It’s also useful when playing defense for seeing where an offensive player is going. On maps with limited visibility, Nemesis can provide a short window of intelligence in the movement of enemy players or teams, allowing a respawning team to react and steal a match. In play testing, we’ve seen players trusting the extra information implicitly and falling for feints or being target fixated with the extra information and being lured into unfavorable situations. As with everything in Halo, this upgrade allows you to tailor your play to your style but remember that the enemy team is aware of the ability and will be countering and often using it or another option to tip the scales back in their favor.

I suppose thats for balancing, but surely they know a good player wont fall for that stuff? Essentially your giving a good player information on enemy spawns, locations and so on, its unlikely someone is going to stray too far from his team.

How is the enemy made aware by the way? Do they get explicitly told that someone is tracking them?

One thing I didnt pick up on was this:

So theres flinch? Eww.

Good update, not sure I like what I read, but im glad the effort was made to clarify to such detail.

Looking forward to trying out the Boltshot, hopefully the recoil isnt too insane lol.

I suppose thats for balancing, but surely they know a good player wont fall for that stuff? Essentially your giving a good player information on enemy spawns, locations and so on, its unlikely someone is going to stray too far from his team.

How is the enemy made aware by the way? Do they get explicitly told that someone is tracking them?

A lot of people are assuming 'flinching' means being taken out of scope.

Don't know the answer to your second question, I'd assume a HUD indicator?

Seance

Banned
I don't care that 343 are shamelessly ripping all these features out of CoD, i actually like most of them. I just wish there was some clarification on the ranking system and theater/spectator mode ( i know David said there was no spectator mode, but at least a caster/LANcasting mode for MLG ).
Not really that interested in what skin i can get for the Assault Rifle when i've "prestiged".

I'm betting the mod that lets you see your killer just puts an icon on their last position or something like that.

That would be useless though, it seems like the person using it gets a waypoint for the player, which according to the update apparently in playtests caused a lot of the playtesters to rush in and put themselves in bad positions.

A good player would use that Waypoint, not to rush straight in, but to know exactly where pretty much all of the other team are. Its going to make spawntrapping so easy. The fact all he has to do to 'earn' that is die is pretty laughable. Unless you refuse to kill people you cant avoid being 'tracked'? To an extent even knowing your being tracked doesn't help much, because I assume if you kill the guy tracking you, he is still going to be tracking you as your still the last guy who killed him? Even if you know your being tracked, if you don't tell your team, they are still at a disadvantage because the tracker will most likely be able to figure out they're location based on yours.

Promethean Vision and Tracker all the way. I don't think I am going to buy LE so will probably get it abused against me and have it patched before I can use it :(

Kibbles

It's in engine. Naturally it won't be in gameplay where depth of field is important, but it's real time. In fact I believe everything in that video is in real time game engine, except for the real life shots and the fact that we photoshopped our address to read 343.

Also, all the footage in that trailer is months old and every single scene looks better now.

hnngghh.

And crappy gif of scene I haven't seen gif'd yet:
mBhyU.gif

Ryaaan14

Banned
I fucking give up catching up in the past 24 hours.

I skipped and saw the update on Waypoint, I can judge enough by that.

I have been pretty neutral with armor abilities/ordinances/specializations up until this point, and after this update (and megaton, wtf Stinkles), I will say...

...my pants, they are tight.

What I'm seeing is a group of annoyingly subtle perks that aren't overpowered, yet incredibly useful if you ice them on top of things you already enjoy doing in Halo. My eyes are on Pathfinder right now since I enjoy/am good at gunning vehicles. What happens if there aren't any vehicles on the map? Well fuck, I guess we'll see?

And the armor...

"OH LOLZ IGN JUST STUCK A BUNCH OF NEW ARMORZ ON THE PERKS TO SPREAD THEIR INFO"

/loads up Halo Bulletin

OH WHAT THE FUCK, EACH PERK GETS EXCLUSIVE ARMOR???

tihoG.png

Fucking awesome. Not only do you reward someone with making their roles even more awesome, but you give them something else to identify themselves with. Oh what? You don't like driving vehicles but you love that armor set? Yeah well too fucking bad.

Yeah it sucks for completionists, but I am totally ok with people looking to perfect their role having something special for themselves. I fear too many people whoring all specializations although I could have easily skimmed over something preventing people to do this.

All in all...fucking love it, put it directly into my veins/butthole/etc. Halo 4. Less than 3 months.

GhaleonEB

I'm betting the mod that lets you see your killer just puts an icon on their last position or something like that.

I think this is the key part.

On maps with limited visibility, Nemesis can provide a short window of intelligence in the movement of enemy players or teams, allowing a respawning team to react and steal a match.

So someone kills you, and you respawn. You now have a marker on your HUD where they are, including where they are moving to, for a short time after respawn. Other descriptions have said it tracks player movement, so this is consistent with the refinement that it's for a short time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan, the armors aren't linked to the mods/perks. You just earn specific armor and specific mods in specific specializations.

Edit : To be extra clear, you can wear an armor from a certain specialization without using the respective perk, and vice versa.

I'm curious how the person knows they're being tracked.

Would it be too much to ask to see some direct-feed footage of some of this stuff in action?

The specializations linked to armor sets. This doesn't imply the armor set is only available with the specialization?
It is only available down that specialization track, but you don't have to wear the armour to equip the mods for that specialization.

(And it doesn't "suck for completionists", because you can keep tacking on specializations once you're through a track.)

New Campaign footage makes me not even care for Multiplayer. This feeling will only last for a little bit, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Seriously though, some parts of Halo 4 look CG. How is that possible on a 7 year old console?

GhaleonEB

The specializations linked to armor sets. This doesn't imply the armor set is only available with the specialization?

It was clarified in the part of the thread you skipped. You can mix and match armor and perks.

Edit: and also in the bulletin you claim to have read. :p

These armor mods will work exactly like all other tactical and support mods in the game. They are not tied to specific armor for each Specialization, so you don’t have to wear the armor to use that particular mod.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It was clarified in the part of the thread you skipped. You can mix and match armor and perks.

Oh. :_(

So I don't understand why the bulletin linked entire armor sets. Were they simply showcasing the set you could tweak with said exclusives?

Edit: Apparently my reading comprehension sucks, but it leaves me confused. Only visor/skin exclusives? Or am I still doing it wrong?

GhaleonEB

So I don't understand why the bulletin linked entire armor sets. Were they simply showcasing the set you could tweak with said exclusives?

They didn't link them, see my edit above.

With each specialization, you unlock armor and such in sequence, and then the perk, but they are not tied to one another. You can mix and match.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it confused the hell out of me until I saw this bit from today's bulletin: "They are not tied to specific armor for each Specialization, so you don’t have to wear the armor to use that particular mod."

(Edit : Beaten by Ghal)

In terms of customizing my Spartan, I'm happy about this. In terms of knowing what abilities opponents have... I'm not happy.

GhaleonEB

Edit: Apparently my reading comprehension sucks, but it leaves me confused. Only visor/skin exclusives? Or am I still doing it wrong?

With each Specialization 'tree' (set of 10 levels), you unlock: armor sets, emblems, visor colors, weapon and armor skins, and armor mods.

My understanding is, none of those things are tied to one another. You can rock the whole set, or not.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Wait, I see what you guys are saying and it does go back to what I was saying.

Player specializes in Operator

Player unlocks Operator armor

Player is free to use any armor they have unlocked in the game while utilizing Operator perk

They still can switch armor, but my point was that because of their focus, they have something special someone else won't have due to another focus.

Wait, I see what you guys are saying and it does go back to what I was saying.

Player specializes in Operator

Player unlocks Operator armor

Player is free to use any armor they have unlocked in the game while utilizing Operator perk

They still can switch armor, but my point was that because of their focus, they have something special someone else won't have due to another focus.

Once you complete all 10 levels of your enlisted specialization you can enlist in another one.
So the completionists can unlock all the armor specialization armor.. at level 150.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Once you complete all 10 levels of your enlisted specialization you can enlist in another one.
So the completionists can unlock all the armor specialization armor.. at level 150.

That's ok with me, as long as it's slightly beyond Inheritor range. I just want specializations to be something meaningful and a decent timesink.

That's ok with me, as long as it's slightly beyond Inheritor range. I just want specializations to be something meaningful and a decent timesink.

BEYOND Inheritor?? Screw that.. What if Halo 4 ends up having horrible playlists and the gameplay falls short of addicting? We cannot have such unbearably long milestones to unlock shit in this game..

Ryaaan14

Banned
BEYOND Inheritor?? Screw that.. What if Halo 4 ends up having horrible playlists and the gameplay falls short of addicting?? We cannot have such unbearably long milestones to unlock shit in this game..

So you want to make all specializations obtainable in less time than Inheritor? Shit, in the perfect world ONE specialization should take that amount of time. But after Reach not a lot of people are willing to invest that much time.

But yes, all of them together should fucking CERTAINLY take more time than Reach's length to Inheritor.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, if we're talking earning all in-game abilities, I don't want it to take any longer than earning Field Marshall in Reach. Or maybe even a few ranks less.

If we're talking cosmetic stuff, then I think some of it should take Inheritor-long, sure.

Edit : Ryan, do you know how long it takes to get to Inheritor?!?!
Neither do I, ask Overdoz1z.

senador

Banned
There's a used one at a GameStop near me (assuming someone hasn't bought it since Saturday) for $50. I can help you get it if you're interested. All I ask is that I get to keep the slipcover, since my copy is missing it.

Dude, that's fucking awesome. I won't do it right now though, been buying too much and my back log is too big. From time to time I decide I want it and then find they are still absurd. Thanks though man, that's seriously awesome. Had it been a different time frame I'd have for sure taken you up. :)

So you want to make all specializations obtainable in less time than Inheritor? Shit, in the perfect world ONE specialization should take that amount of time. But after Reach not a lot of people are willing to invest that much time.

But yes, all of them together should fucking CERTAINLY take more time than Reach's length to Inheritor.

I can see level 150 realistically taking longer than Inheritor as long as the game is actually fun. :p

It is end game content after all.
Most of the broader armor mods aren't part of specializations.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So you want to make all specialization obtainable in less time than Inheritor? Shit, in the perfect world ONE specialization should take that amount of time. But after Reach not a lot of people are willing to invest that much time.

What? I have 16 and a half days in Reach, and I'm less than halfway to Mythic. According to the credit requirements for each rank, Mythic is slightly above a quarter of the way to Inheritor in terms of total cR needed.

What would be ideal for me is if it took 2-4 days of playtime to hit level 50, then maybe 1 day for each specialization path. If I had to guess, it'll take much longer though.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Edit : Ryan, do you know how long it takes to get to Inheritor?!?!
Neither do I, ask Overdoz1z.

You're god damn right I do. Means the game better be fun for me to get there.

And to the point, if I do get there, I'll get there to achieve a perk in something that means something to me. Other than some asshole with loads of free time.

So HaloGAF... why launch with Vanilla playlists if custom loadouts do not dilute competitive Halo?

Simply to appease those who resist change?
...Or because they DO dilute competitive Halo, no matter how fun they might be?

First reason would seem counter productive, no? (if the goal is to avoid fragmentation and fully integrate the player into Infinity)

It's because the playlists will recieve 3 total updates, once for each DLC map pack release, then they'll run out of bandwidth as Halo 5 ramps up.

(But seriously, it'd be better for any attempt at Classic to be around at launch this time, when the most people are playing, rather than after a signifcant amount of people have moved on)

As long as it is a strict distinction with only custom loadouts disabled, I think it is okay fragmentation. (or whatever the "Classic" settings are going to be)
No other settings changed, hopefully.

senador

Banned
Dude, Ryaaaaan, that'd be absurd! Aren't you like only a Captain or something? You'd be playing for 10 years to get everything. :p

FyreWulff

So HaloGAF... why launch with Vanilla playlists if custom loadouts do not dilute competitive Halo?

First reason would seem counter productive, no?

It's because the playlists will recieve 3 total updates, once for each DLC map pack release, then they'll run out of bandwidth as Halo 5 ramps up.

(But seriously, it'd be better for any attempt at Classic to be around at launch this time, when the most people are playing, rather than after a signifcant amount of people have moved on)

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ok maybe the Inheritor thing was an exaggeration, but I would like the system to work so that any player will only be able to unlock 1 (MAYBE 2) specializations. Whether it be by restriction or time investment constraint.

Fracas

#fuckonami

First reason would seem counter productive, no? (if the goal is to avoid fragmentation and fully integrate the player into Infinity)
No way. Regardless of how I end up feeling about multiplayer, there's no doubt in my mind that 343 loves what they've made.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You're god damn right I do. Means the game better be fun for me to get there.

And to the point, if I do get there, I'll get there to achieve a perk in something that means something to me. Other than some asshole with loads of free time.
It takes like an actual, literal, IRL month -- if not more -- to reach Inheritor. Playing for 730+ hours to fully earn one specialization would be a bit overkill.

Edit : Saw your other post. Yeah, I think it's too early to tell. Maybe the grind after the first and second specialization does take a long time?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OT but I am running the Windows 8 90-day eval.

How fap is it? So fap.

I might be exaggerating the new car smell. But it's just like real butter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom