• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DKR was good. Now knowing reboots aren't always good or bad, but if they are going to reboot Batman 2-3 years from now, then that'll upset fans. IMO.

Will we get a digital HD copy of FUD along with our physical copy to download onto devices, computers, etc. to enjoy? That would be a great addition.

what non-forge maps are the plasma launcher even on? same with the focus rifle?
what was the point in having all these weapons if your not even going to put them into matchmaking. i remember at a certain point only powerhouse had the grenade launcher

Computron

So... did Over just complain about all the pieces looking too different? As if maps don't look similar as it is.

MEGA FACEPALM.

Consistency and adherence to a grid system in modular assets is CRITICAL.

You just made my poor mind explode.

I dont usually defend Over, but he is dead-on in this post.

what was the point in having all these weapons if your not even going to put them into matchmaking. i remember at a certain point only powerhouse had the grenade launcher
Focus Rifle is only on Powerhouse I believe, and I'm pretty sure Plasma Launcher is on Hemorrhage.

GhaleonEB

So... did Over just complain about all the pieces looking too different? As if maps don't look similar as it is.

No. His post was almost entirely about how the pieces do not fit together logically, with a large number of inconsistencies between related parts, and extraneous elements to many otherwise useful pieces which inhibit their use. It was a fantastic post.

Come on now, his post was actually really damn good. That's honestly all you took from it? Consistency in design, look and functioon across similar objects should exist, he proved it doesn't. Something as simple as that makes Forging unintuitive.

How would consistency in design NOT lead to things looking even more similar?

I agree the objects don't look similar. The pictures are right there. As valid as his post is, all I want to know is will making the pieces look more consistent really just add to the problem of samey, grey maps?

plasma launcher is on boardwalk, Spire, and hemmorhage. focus rifle is on powerhouse.

i think the GL is only on powerhouse, Spire, and swordbase.

posting again for new page: (yep 50ppp elite)

long post about forge with pics

damn that's a good post. these are all things that annoy me when trying to forge something. the biggest problem with the lack of consistency is that all the pieces do not fit together.

then you go and look at Sandbox

and everything looks consistent, all of those ramps, and blocks, and tunnels match up to eachother almost perfectly. also, most of the textures are very similar, so when they are all phased together the group of objects don't look like a bunch of random objects smacked together.

Then they go and remove it from the game.. I just don't understand some of the damn decisions these devs make! Why make a useful powerful useless/remove it? Goes back to that philosophy of nerfing the areas that worked to "balance" it out with weaker crap, instead of just buffing the weak shit. Why they felt it was necessary to nerf the Plasma Repeater from the Beta is beyond me.. etc

Also, the thing about switching weapons OMFG! I completely agree and I feel like no one understands why that kinda shit bothers people so much! My fingers/thought processing move so frikkin fast that it makes it frustrating to have to "slow down" in order to be successful in a game. Did you also find it annoying to switch to a Gravity Hammer/Sword in Halo 3 in tight situations because of how long it took to equip?
I know we've discussed this before in the thread, and obviously I agree.

Yeah, the weapon switch times in Halo 3 and Reach are frustratingly slow.
That thing was a BEAST. I don't get a lot of Exterminations, but I got one in the Reach Beta:

http://files2.bungie.org/dv/blueberry_exterm/
Holy Shit! Let me put the team on my back real quick.
The grenades were even more nuketastic in the beta

Ah yes, correct.

Kyle, holy shit that song lol

oh come on halogaf. like OT stuff isnt posted here ALL THE TIME.

But people who haven't seen it don't want to come across it in a Halo thread. There are 2 dedicated Batman threads, where he can post and discuss it with no restrictions. And azoojoo might pull a Caboose and spoil the shit out of something. I know YourExWife would go on a manhunt.

I remember getting annoyed when the gametrailers review of reach called those two weapons OP.

Computron

How would consistency in design NOT lead to things looking even more similar?

I agree the objects don't look similar. The pictures are right there. As valid as his post is, all I want to know is will making the pieces look more consistent really just add to the problem of samey, grey maps?

The point wasn't that they pieces themselves have different textures or shaders or whatnot, but that the actually geometry did not consistently fit any logical grid system or metric.

You constantly have forge pieces with little gaps and height differences in between them which have to be manually fixed or cleverly hidden by potentially going off the grid. This wouldn't be a problem if the geometry was consistent. Instead we have to spend time and forge budget fixing shit up for things to look and play smoothly.

Computron

then you go and look at Sandbox

and everything looks consistent, all of those ramps, and blocks, and tunnels match up to eachother almost perfectly. also, most of the textures are very similar, so when they are all phased together the group of objects don't look like a bunch of random objects smacked together.

I disagree. I think it was just as bad in Halo 3 but it wasn't in the spotlight because people weren't building with a precise grid in the first place so you could really gauge the precision of the modular pieces.

I disagree. I think it was just as bad in Halo 3 but it wasn't in the spotlight because people weren't building with a precise grid in the first place so you could really gauge the precision of the modular pieces.

well the ugly brown did still look like shit, but it was consistently ugly! :p

i did build a few maps in halo 3 with the phasing glitch. in my opinion all the pieces were very consistent in terms of theme and how everything fit together.

what's worse? it's consistent but ugly. or its pretty but inconsistent.

Retro

Ah, the Brace, Large piece. Often used on maps but causes problem because of the tail-end. The tail-end is practically useless and it turns an extremely useful object into a decent one. Please just remove the tail.

Now hold on a sec, which part is the 'tail end'? Because that long bit has been extremely useful for creating flat surfaces (especially at the bottom of a map where nobody will see the 'overhang'). Without that, I'd run out of Building Blocks quickly (arguably a problem in itself).

Computron

Now hold on a sec, which part is the 'tail end'? Because that long bit has been extremely useful for creating flat surfaces (especially at the bottom of a map where nobody will see the 'overhang'). Without that, I'd run out of Building Blocks quickly (arguably a problem in itself).

The tail end is the curved part.

Also, Quantization errors in the Forge map file format will make the peice crooked if you try and rotate it to use the flat part as a floor. it never lines up perfectly after you save your map and play it.

well the ugly brown did still look like shit, but it was consistently ugly! :p

i did build a few maps in halo 3 with the phasing glitch. in my opinion all the pieces were very consistent in terms of theme and how everything fit together.

what's worse? it's consistent but ugly. or its pretty but inconsistent.

I will repeat. It has very little to do with the way the pieces look. It has to do with the actual geometry. as in the shape and system of measurement.

Its hard to explain to people who have never used 3d software and a modular workflow.

------------------------------------

One last thing before I retire from GAF.

Read this shit:

I wish Halo Reach and 3 had taken more care with pivot placement as it says in the article, but I suspect that magnets should take care of a lot of those problems.

/rant

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm not talking about the flat part. I want the "overhang" - as you called it - removed. The flat part is really useful but the tail can be unnecessarily annoying.

The point wasn't that they pieces themselves have different textures or shaders or whatnot, but that the actually geometry did not consistently fit any logical grid system or metric.

You constantly have forge pieces with little gaps and height differences in between them which have to be manually fixed or cleverly hidden by potentially going off the grid. This wouldn't be a problem if the geometry was consistent. Instead we have to spend time and forge budget fixing shit up for things to look and play smoothly.

Ok yeah, that I can understand. I guess my question was more about what I thought the solution to the problem was as opposed to what Over said.

It was an honest question. Totally agreed with Over, didn't think that needed saying, Apologies for how I had worded it.

Ramirez

I haven't seen DKR, and I've avoided both GAF threads on the subject, so I don't need some stooge like zoojoo spoiling it accidentally. I already got spoiled on Pridmordium in here last week...

Retro

I'm not talking about the flat part. I want the "overhang" - as you called it - removed. The flat part is really useful but the tail can be unnecessarily annoying.

Gotcha, that part can absolutely go and I agree with everything you listed, then. More consistency, more pieces, better tools. I still don't know why an Undo feature is so hard, it's not like we want a 500-item undo history, do we? I just want an "oops, didn't mean to do that" button.

Karl2177

If he's gonna post about it here, do it like I do. A simple "I recommend watching the film" or "I don't recommend watching the film". TDKR I heartily recommend. Prometheus, not so much.

I will repeat. It has very little to do with the way the pieces look. It has to do with the actual geometry. as in the shape and metrics.

Its hard to explain to people who have never used 3d software and a modular workflow.

i was talking about the actual geometry, as well as the theme. i'm not saying halo 3's forge pieces are amazing in terms of consistency and how everything lines up. but it's certainly better than what we have in reach.

also, i use 3Ds Max quite frequently. (although i am not a professional, at least not yet ;)) so i know exactly what you are talking about. and i don't disagree.

m23

I haven't seen DKR, and I've avoided both GAF threads on the subject, so I don't need some stooge like zoojoo spoiling it accidentally. I already got spoiled on Pridmordium in here last week...

Yeah, I didn't understand why people were talking about Primordium without using spoiler tags. I've read it already but still, there was some stuff that should have been tagged.

Ramirez

Sorry Kyle, the last game made my blood pressure rise to unhealthy levels, need a break from this POS.

Teammates, how do they work?

Computron

i was talking about the actual geometry, as well as the theme. i'm not saying halo 3's forge pieces are amazing in terms of consistency. but it's certainly better than what we have in reach.

Every forge map in Halo 3 was bumpy to move around on even if you phased them together. Also you would at least get a bunch of z-fighting if you did, from the inevitable overlap.
No one built on a precise grid, because there was no way to snap to it.

I don't see how you can say they were more consistent without any precise grid or measurement system, especially when the pieces themselves were rough cut stone blocks rather than precise forerunner metal.
I have a strong suspicion that is why they picked that art style, to mask the imprecision of forge with dilapidated old stone structures.

Reach was a step in the right direction, but the pieces weren't all that much better.

Homeboyd

To me (since I've seen the film) it wasn't necessarily that the post itself was OT or that I might read spoilers, it was more the warning that he was going to be back in a couple of hours to tell us about something no one will care to read about here. It's a case by case basis here. People with track records of good, substantial, informative, discussion starting posts (even if OT) are usually welcome here... But all we typically see from him is huge multi-quote posts with "lol, [insert name] pls, some random HaloGaf joke he saw while lurking, FUUUUU--, or [something]fu" one after the other.

I think people are genuinely trying to help him by giving him some pointers here and there on participating in online forums, but it doesn't seem to be landing. So, certain levels of liberty usually aren't extended to him that they are with others. Especially when he tells you he's about to come back and do exactly what he's been asked not to do many times.

I'll bow out from here as this certainly isn't my place to set or define the rules. Just explaining why people jumped on him for that particular post (in addition to the DKR spoilers bit).

Fuchsdh

Every forge map in Halo 3 was bumpy to move around on even if you phased them together. Also you would at least get a bunch of z-fighting if you did, from the inevitable overlap.
No one built on a precise grid, because there was no way to snap to it.

I don't see how you can say they were more consistent without any precise grid or measurement system, especially when the pieces themselves were rough cut stone blocks rather than precise forerunner metal.
I have a strong suspicion that is why they picked that art style, to mask the imprecision of forge with dilapidated old stone structures.

Rose tinted glasses if you ask me.

Halo 3's Forge was utter trash compared to Halo: Reach's, and I imagine that Halo 4's will stomp Reach's flat. Sure, it won't be Crysis 3, but it should be fantastically easier to make maps we're making now, and making better maps than we're making now.

Going back to the previous version will be a sensation of "how did I make maps with this?"

But the issues with piece size are definitely valid, and I hope are addressed. I'd like to get the same basic types of pieces for every theme we end up with, that all have the same "depth" and integer dimensions. If they fixed all the Reach pieces, that'd be a solid foundation.

The player trait zones, snapping and baked lighting are all going to help phenomenally (especially the latter) with making maps that feel much better and less same-y, even if you still had the Reach FW pieces.

I agree. Possibly one of the most well thought-out and reasoned posts from any member in a longggg time.

How hydra can go after it is beyond me.

Is anyone streaming?

I really wasn't going after what he said at all. I admit, i assumed what his solution was and questioned that, but what he said was perfectly fine.

But no, please all jump on me for it.

Doesn't really matter until we get an option to either really change color shape size n texture of pieces every forge map will look the same graphically. This has been apparent since Foundry. The least they could do though is make the pieces logically cohesive or whatever.

Computron

Halo 3's Forge was utter trash compared to Halo: Reach's, and I imagine that Halo 4's will stomp Reach's flat. Sure, it won't be Crysis 3, but it should be fantastically easier to make maps we're making now, and making better maps than we're making now.

Going back to the previous version will be a sensation of "how did I make maps with this?"

But the issues with piece size are definitely valid, and I hope are addressed. I'd like to get the same basic types of pieces for every theme we end up with, that all have the same "depth" and integer dimensions. If they fixed all the Reach pieces, that'd be a solid foundation.

The player trait zones, snapping and baked lighting are all going to help phenomenally (especially the latter) with making maps that feel much better and less same-y, even if you still had the Reach FW pieces.

Not sure what Crysis 3 has to do with this. Are they getting a map maker on consoles?

I think I remember a limit of 8 player trait zones, which is pretty restrictive considering the shapes we are limited to.

I wish we had modular assets with vertex snapping, a mirror modifier, and level of undo/redo. The human pallete textures/shaders on top of fixed Reach style geomtry would do fine.

Not sure what Crysis 3 has to do with this. Are they getting a map maker on consoles?

I think I remember a limit of 8 player trait zones, which is pretty restrictive considering the shapes we are limited to.

I wish we had modular assets with vertex snapping, a mirror modifier, and level of undo/redo. The human pallete textures/shaders on top of fixed Reach style geomtry would do fine.

i think there are only 4 trait zones. might be mistaken.

Am I the only one who thinks these will be a disaster?

only if they are allowed in matchmaking. i can tolerate a lot in halo reach matchmaking, low grav zones are not one of them. for customs and minigames i think they will be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom