• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

There are loads of generic small pieces from little blocks to humongous floor tiles. These big set pieces are for amateur tinkerers and hobbyists. Serious mapmakers might be able to use them, but that's not really who they're aimed at. The game and it's components are built with multiple audiences in mind, and frankly this big piece didn't cost the more discrete items any flexibility.

Forge being made for casuals. 343 doesn't care about competitive forging.

I'm really hoping that the amount of white space on these objects indicates better coloring options. The colors on Reach's forerunner objects are too minimal to really offset the gray.
Yes, but there will only be 8 colors. Every Forge map will look like Rainbow Road.

That's the same guy who thought the Focus Rifle was better than the Beam Rifle.

If he really did create Lockout, it was a fluke.
"If he really did"

smh

You're probably just mad you got your ass whooped on Uncaged.

FyreWulff

At least let me place more than a 100 blocks then. Why is there a limit per category anyway? There's already a budget limit and objects are assigned a value based on how much they impact the maps performance, why limit it even more? If I want to place 10,000 budget worth of 2x2 blocks, why not?

I honestly wish there wasn't a budget at all and we could just do whatever we want until the 360 shits on itself.

In Halo 3, it was due to the file format. If you remember the dreaded OLN, in which no more than X amount of objects could ever be created (I think it was 640?) and the existing on-map objects in Sandbox counted against it and couldn't be recovered. Hence the canvases where all the spawn points and pieces were pushed off to the side of the map.

In Reach they fixed that (OLN objects free up their "slot" when deleted) and raised the overall object limit, but they're still limited by RAM and file size/format. The RTX video showed the group limit in the UI, so I imagine it's back.

Overdoziz

Banned
In Halo 3, it was due to the file format. If you remember the dreaded OLN, in which no more than X amount of objects could ever be created (I think it was 640?) and the existing on-map objects in Sandbox counted against it and couldn't be recovered. Hence the canvases where all the spawn points and pieces were pushed off to the side of the map.

In Reach they fixed that (OLN objects free up their "slot" when deleted) and raised the overall object limit, but they're still limited by RAM and file size/format. The RTX video showed the group limit in the UI, so I imagine it's back.
I'm fine with an overall object limit, but having one per category can be annoying.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Okay, since Team Karl v Team shadow didn't happen, I flipped a coin.

Team Karl won by coin flip.

I'll PM him. Apologies to shadow and co. I know it sucks, but when a date for a match cannot be agreed upon, this is what I have to do.

(reposted from tourney thread)

At least let me place more than a 100 blocks then. Why is there a limit per category anyway? There's already a budget limit and objects are assigned a value based on how much they impact the maps performance, why limit it even more? If I want to place 10,000 budget worth of 2x2 blocks, why not? It can be incredibly frustrating when you still have a lot of budget left but you already used up the max amount of objects in certain categories and all you have left is a bunch of buildings ripped straight out of Lockout.

I honestly wish there wasn't a budget at all and we could just do whatever we want until the 360 shits on itself.

Trials Evolution's map maker lets you do this. it only has a performance meter.

but yeah, never understood the per object limit. i mean there's a budget, some objects cost more than others, there's a category limit, a per object limit, and of course the total object limit, which can in fact be reached. i mean why so many limits, it should be simplified down to 1 limit, performance. that's it.

build as much as you want, as long as the performance is good why not?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
While that's true, I don't blame senador for making that statement. A lot of time and resources are put into Forge when it is still just an map editor. Forge maps will always pale in comparison to maps made by professional developers and developer tools. They're always going to have the same color palette, the same repetitious objects and the same feel. Yes, dynamic lighting will help but it doesn't change that fact that players will still be limited to the same map spaces. I much rather see that time and energy be devoted to making more developer-created content. I suppose that it isn't consuming 343's developer resources and time since it was farmed out to Certain Affinity then again I find it disconcerting that it was farmed out in the first place. Forge is definitely not a priority when it comes to Halo 4. The priority is clearly base gameplay mechanics and campaign.

Of course we would all love more in house maps. However, my thinking is that the tools are good enough to produce some solid-very good maps in both Halo 3 and Reach including remakes. Because of that, I put the blame on the forgers and people who choose the maps that go into matchmaking. Just because someone can forge and knows all the tricks, that doesn't mean they can design good maps. I think that has been made abundantly clear. What I would like to see is people who have a good ability to design maps get them made by master forgers. Have communities come together, build and test maps together. I think maps that go into matchmaking should require them to be made by the larger communities. There's a reason the MLG maps in rotation have always been the best forge maps. More resources!

If HaloGAF buckled down and said, let's try to put out a BTB map, a mid sized map and then a small arena style map, we have the numbers and resources to properly design, build, test and iterate to produce high qualoty forge maps.

I have seen the top of the mountain...and it is good.

Noricart

If HaloGAF buckled down and said, let's try to put out a BTB map, a mid sized map and then a small arena style map, we have the numbers and resources to properly design, build, test and iterate to produce high qualoty forge maps.

I have seen the top of the mountain...and it is good.
Then why don't we do it? We only need to avoid the withering end the reach forge thread faced.

TheOddOne

i68NL8M6qcuCw.jpg

I'll PM him. Apologies to shadow and co. I know it sucks, but when a date for a match cannot be agreed upon, this is what I have to do.

lol wow. shots fired in the air. I would like to thank gravity because without you this couldn't have happened.

FyreWulff

Trials Evolution's map maker lets you do this. it only has a performance meter.

but yeah, never understood the per object limit. i mean there's a budget, some objects cost more than others, there's a category limit, a per object limit, and of course the total object limit, which can in fact be reached. i mean why so many limits, it should be simplified down to 1 limit, performance. that's it.

build as much as you want, as long as the performance is good why not?

Trials Evolution also doesn't have to be able to store a ton of maps for matchmaking, and requires everyone to download the map manually before they can play with each other on it.

Tawpgun

Trials Evolution also doesn't have to be able to store a ton of maps for matchmaking, and requires everyone to download the map manually before they can play with each other on it.

False. As long as the party lead has the map, we can play on it without downloading it.

Overdoziz

Banned
This isn't true. The party leader can put a map in the rotation and everyone will be able to play on immediately without the other players having to manually download it.

I'm telling ya, Forge with no budgets and only an active FPS counter in the top corner would be awesome.
If only...

EDIT: nvm, that actually isn't true. lol

i never actually thought about how halo lets you play on other peoples maps when just the host of the party has the map. that's actually a pretty great feature for customs now that i think about it.

FyreWulff

False. As long as the party lead has the map, we can play on it without downloading it.

This isn't true. The party leader can put a map in the rotation and everyone will be able to play on immediately without the other players having to manually download it.

Must have been a victim of terrible netcode then.

Oh yeah, that's right.

i never actually thought about how halo lets you play on other peoples maps when just the host of the party has the map. that's actually a pretty great feature for customs now that i think about it.

It is, but it's especially nice that you can join mid-game. A lot of other games would require everyone to go back to the lobby first.

edit: apparently a title update came out for Trials on May 30th that fixed a bunch of multiplayer problems, I definitely had stopped playing by that time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You can't compare Trials and Halo. If 343 put as much resources (%) into a map editor as the Trials team put into their editor, do you really think 343 can't do something just fuckin mind blowing? That's nonsense. Halo 4 has more and much larger components than Trials. The editor is a huge part of trials. Didn't they build the editor and then basically make the game with the editor?

You can't compare Trials and Halo. If 343 put as much resources (%) into a map editor as the Trials team put into their editor, do you really think 343 can't do something just fuckin mind blowing? That's nonsense. Halo 4 has more and much larger components than Trials. The editor is a huge part of trials. Didn't they build the editor and then basically make the game with the editor?

And isn't this how Far Cry's world is made as well? The game is built around the functionality, I don't think it's some "feature" they just add in.

Overdoziz

Banned
I figured with 343 outsourcing Forge to Certain Affinity we'd get more than Reach Forge with better lighting. There are some other neat new features but nothing to blow your load over. I think that if 343 wants to put as many Forge maps into matchmaking as they did in Reach Forge needs to turn into a proper map creator.

well yeah, halo is not built from forge like the levels in trails were built from its editor. you cant really compare that.

but something like a performance meter? i don't see how 343 wouldn't be able to do something similar for forge.

I figured with 343 outsourcing Forge to Certain Affinity we'd get more than Reach Forge with better lighting. There are some other neat new features but nothing to blow your load over. I think that if 343 wants to put as many Forge maps into matchmaking as they did in Reach Forge needs to turn into a proper map creator.

yeah from what i have seen of the improvements to forge, it doesn't seem to warrant the need to outsource it to CA. what about these few additions could 343 not do themselves?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think that if 343 wants to put as many Forge maps into matchmaking as they did in Reach Forge needs to turn into a proper map creator.

I think they've been clear that they won't be going down the same Forge MM deployment route as Reach did.

Which means, either way you look at it, you'll probably be happy.

Fotos

Just played Super Slayer on Sword base, our team had 26 kills before the other team got their first and than they rage quit. Best game ever

There are loads of generic small pieces from little blocks to humongous floor tiles. These big set pieces are for amateur tinkerers and hobbyists. Serious mapmakers might be able to use them, but that's not really who they're aimed at. The game and it's components are built with multiple audiences in mind, and frankly this big piece didn't cost the more discrete items any flexibility.
This is intriguing.

That's because it is. Particularly for campaign; no more instaheadshots from Jackals.

In multiplayer though the Beam Rifle is sorely missed, I kind of enjoyed using the beam in campaign a lot more than I enjoyed using the focus rifle aswell.

I can kind of live with insta kill jackal snipers if it means the beam makes a return. I may just play campaign legendary once so compared to my multiplayer playtime I can live with the campaign issues

FyreWulff

In multiplayer though the Beam Rifle is sorely missed, I kind of enjoyed using the beam in campaign a lot more than I enjoyed using the focus rifle aswell.

I can kind of live with insta kill jackal sniperscig it means the beam makes a return, I may just play campaign legendary

Eh I guess if we're going to have 3 rifles that are redundant to each other in Halo 4, might as well have 3 sniper rifles too. Human, Beam, and Foresniper.

Horseshit

I want a recount

TheOddOne

To be fair, even though the Forge "reveal" was poor, you can't really judge it fully without seeing the complete product. With Reach Forge we pretty much knew every nook and cranny. It might still not be a generational leap as other Forge iterations, but it's too fast to throw it under the bus because it offended your religion.

As the sandbox changes or the base players change slightly the map design needs to change. No map should ever work on every Halo.
Very true. It's too bad that Bungie didn't consider this at all for Reach. Hopefully 343 isn't making that mistake for Halo 4.
Forge remakes blow.

Forge blows.
Just keep it out of the core playlists and Forge and I are cool.
That's because it is. Particularly for campaign; no more instaheadshots from Jackals.

Agreed. It sucks they unnecessarily nerfed it for MP, but it's still a vastly more interesting weapon in the sandbox than the Beam rifle.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Focus rifle is the bacon rifle right? I really hate that gun. Maybe the beam rifle was redundant, but at least I liked using it and it could actually kill people. I was always somehow better with the beam rifle too...

Hope the focus rifle is gone for good. Rather have a new sentinel beam than that thing.

Ramirez

Wait, you're telling me you guys aren't just checking off Over's wish list he mailed to you guys?

Focus Rifle was better than the beam rifle in the beta, then they went and nerfed it like they do everything...still fun to harass BK's with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom