• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

There's got to be a way around it. Gamebattles does ok with it.

Honestly just implement a warnings/banning system. Track teams, file reports, if they have too many reports and look suspicious then ban them or make them pay a fine if they want to play again.

If you keep the prizes relatively low at the start then you'll make it too expensive for them to use a botnet to achieve the prize. Like MSPoints or some shit.

I'm being serious when I'm saying I'd write the entire backend for this if you really want to do it.

a zoojoo

Banned
Honestly just implement a warnings/banning system. Track teams, file reports, if they have too many reports and look suspicious then ban them or make them pay a fine if they want to play again.

If you keep the prizes relatively low at the start then you'll make it too expensive for them to use a botnet to achieve the prize. Like MSPoints or some shit.

I'm being serious when I'm saying I'd write the entire backend for this if you really want to do it.

That system would be crying out for abuse or would be ineffective.

Blinding

What if I hired Refs and created a referee box on each map. Any funny business would instantly be deterred.

That could work, though the ref box would have to not screw with map performance and there'd have to be no chance of anybody from either team spawning in it.

GhaleonEB

I did a quick Google search and couldn't turn up anything. What's different about Oregon?

Oregon has mail-in voting. You receive a voting guide in the mail, and a ballot a week or two later. When you're ready, you can mail it off, as long as it's received by election day. There's a bunch of in-person drop off locations, too. I usually just drop it off at one of the local libraries.

I've grown up with the system, and hearing about absentee ballots is definitely weird to me, too. I'll probably vote a few days before Election Day so I can blissfully and ignorantly play Halo 4 all damn day.

I want this.
To add, it's great because of how it enables my wife and I to make informed decisions. When we vote, we sit down by the computer and research any race or ballot measure we may not have heard of. It really enables informed voting.

Am I totally wrong about what absentee balloting is? This is what we do in Washington, and I thought that was absentee balloting.
My understanding is, that's what you guys are moving toward, but I'm not super familiar with it. To clarify the Oregon system, there is no in-person voting. It's 100% by mail, the only state to currently use such a system.

FyreWulff

To add, it's great because of how it enables my wife and I to make informed decisions. When we vote, we sit down by the computer and research any race or ballot measure we may not have heard of. It really enables informed voting.

My understanding is, that's what you guys are moving toward, but I'm not super familiar with it. To clarify the Oregon system, there is no in-person voting. It's 100% by mail, the only state to currently use such a system.

Yeah, but you still can't pump your own gas.

Hey zoojoo, was bored and decided to make you a logo. just made it for fun.

i6Y8Jy6DKM3tF.jpg

edges are a little wierd, not to great at illustrator so i made it in photoshop, was easier.

By mail is default now as far as I'm aware, but we can still go and vote at a physical location as well.
It was so weird coming back from three weeks in California. We crossed the border and I nearly caused a major incident when I reached for the gas pump.

What is the reason for that? I usually cause a scene whenever driving through Oregon because of that haha.

GhaleonEB

By mail is default now as far as I'm aware, but we can still go and vote at a physical location as well.
That's good - really hope more states go this way.

What is the reason for that? I usually cause a scene whenever driving through Oregon because of that haha.

To create jobs, presumably for high schoolers. Gas prices are a bit higher in Oregon as stations charge more for the extra payroll. Not sure how I feel about it.

FyreWulff

It was so weird coming back from three weeks in California. We crossed the border and I nearly caused a major incident when I reached for the gas pump.

The very few full service pumps (not even stations) in Omaha, I'm not even sure a worker will come out and pump your gas if you park in them. They're like a little patch of 1950.

Also, I don't even think I've seen an actual gas station here in Vancouver yet. There's a 7-11 a block away but it's just a free standing store. Meanwhile, I could probably throw a rock in a random direction in Omaha and hit a gas station. Also x2, that was the first time in nearly a decade that I've been to a 7-11, they all left Nebraska a while back. I guess we pissed them off or something. If you try to use their store locator, it tells you to go to Kansas :lol

Anyone else watching Breaking Bad?

DVR'ing it for later :]

There's got to be a way around it. Gamebattles does ok with it.

I have a few ideas that involve matching Halo as a competitive entity as compared to major league sports. Through this I envision Halo as how American sports are treated in terms of Major League Baseball, National Football League, Major League Soccer, etc..

Anyway, the problem I've had with MLG is that it encompasses gaming as a whole and chooses certain games for tournaments. Why can't there be an MLH? Major League Halo? Maybe even different leagues for each Halo game (less money involved with previous Halo games) and keep Halo 4 as close to standard as possible so it won't segregate new players.

I think competitive Halo should get back to its roots and just deal with what the game gives them (ie: CTF Hang 'Em High wasn't balanced, but it was extremely competitive). Chill Out wasn't a symmetrical map yet it was loved for TS. These gametypes/maps worked because the kill times were fast and even if you held power positions on maps, you would still be able to come back with proper coordination. Things changed on the fly in 4v4 games because one person could sway the odds in their favor with GODLIKE Pistol skills. The later Halo games extended kill times and basically made it a requirement to teamshoot.

Either way, hopefully more good sprouts from this and if anyone is serious about bringing new ideas and needs help, I'm down as I'm sure many of us here would be.

FyreWulff

DVR'ing it for later :]

I have a few ideas that involve matching Halo as a competitive entity as compared to major league sports. Through this I envision Halo as how American sports are treated in terms of Major League Baseball, National Football League, Major League Soccer, etc..

Anyway, the problem I've had with MLG is that it encompasses gaming as a whole and chooses certain games for tournaments. Why can't there be an MLH? Major League Halo? Maybe even different leagues for each Halo game (less money involved with previous Halo games) and keep Halo 4 as close to standard as possible so it won't segregate new players.

I think competitive Halo should get back to its roots and just deal with what the game gives them (ie: CTF Hang 'Em High wasn't balanced, but it was extremely competitive). Chill Out wasn't a symmetrical map yet it was loved for TS. These gametypes/maps worked because the kill times were fast and even if you held power positions on maps, you would still be able to come back with proper coordination. Things changed on the fly in 4v4 games because one person could sway the odds in their favor with GODLIKE Pistol skills. The later Halo games extended kill times and basically made it a requirement to teamshoot.

Either way, hopefully more good sprouts from this and if anyone is serious about bringing new ideas and needs help, I'm down as I'm sure many of us here would be.

I used to play a bunch of LANs with MLG or MLG-esque settings back in the day. Part of my complaint with the MLG of today is in Halo 1 and 2 they were still playing something that was recognizably Halo 1 and Halo 2. In Halo 3 they started to diverge into the "MLG Shooter" and Reach diverged even more towards that. It's hard to get the general fanbase excited to watch something that starts to resemble the version of the game that the majority of the fanbase plays even less with each new iteration. Also the fact that it's pretty much one guy that makes the settings and publishes them from the get go, instead of the community playing the game first and figuring out the settings as they go along, ie actually evolving. Instead of going 110% speed ice skating from the get go.

I don't just, I'm just shootin' here. Would be interested to see a hardcore league and hardcore settings that is actually community created and community ran and is more faithful to the base game for each supported game, instead of constantly bleeding money and anti-competitive bullshit like buying Smashboards and then burying tourney Smash not long after. Capcom is doing it right by only letting smaller leagues like EVO feature their fighting games.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Someone please explain why there is another podcast being done here besides HaloGAF Radio. Seems a bit tasteless to be perfectly honest.

I used to play a bunch of LANs with MLG or MLG-esque settings back in the day. Part of my complaint with the MLG of today is in Halo 1 and 2 they were still playing something that was recognizably Halo 1 and Halo 2. In Halo 3 they started to diverge into the "MLG Shooter" and Reach diverged even more towards that. It's hard to get the general fanbase excited to watch something that starts to resemble the version of the game that the majority of the fanbase plays even less with each new iteration. Also the fact that it's pretty much one guy that makes the settings and publishes them from the get go, instead of the community playing the game first and figuring out the settings as they go along, ie actually evolving. Instead of going 110% speed ice skating from the get go.

I don't just, I'm just shootin' here. Would be interested to see a hardcore league and hardcore settings that is actually community created and community ran and is more faithful to the base game for each supported game, instead of constantly bleeding money and anti-competitive bullshit like buying Smashboards and then burying tourney Smash not long after. Capcom is doing it right by only letting smaller leagues like EVO feature their fighting games.

Very true and to piggy back off EVO, you're so right! The fighting community absolutely HATES when people refer to their tournaments as e-sports because of their history with MLG. Hilarious how that happened with Smash too, but those problems can also be attributed to HAL/Nintendo for making Brawl so weak.. Tons of people still play Smash 64 online and even melee, but that's a whole other story though so I digress lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Someone please explain why there is another podcast being done here besides HaloGAF Radio. Seems a bit tasteless to be perfectly honest.

FUD got it's cast up and going before HGR, though it still has that HaloGAF fresh smell.*

*Smell may be salty man tears.

wwm0nkey

Due to that Silentium description on Amazon I am wondering who the hell the flood allied themselves with. Also now that we know
that there are 2 Didacts
the theory that
John as the Geas of one of the Didacts
makes perfect sense.

(those are serious spoilers)

a zoojoo

Banned
Hey zoojoo, was bored and decided to make you a logo. just made it for fun.

i6Y8Jy6DKM3tF.jpg

edges are a little wierd, not to great at illustrator so i made it in photoshop, was easier.
Shit dude, that was nice of you. I'm likin it, the spartan looks a little wierd though lol, appriciate it!
I would hate on this but you're kinda half right.
I really don't like Obam-ney. Still, whats the other viable choice?
Bahaha

Letters does like, all of my logos. Even helped me with my arcade stick
Letters? Oh hey buddy.......

Due to that Silentium description on Amazon I am wondering who the hell the flood allied themselves with. Also now that we know
that there are 2 Didacts
the theory that
John as the Geas of one of the Didacts
makes perfect sense.

(those are serious spoilers)
Geas come from Ancient Humans to Humans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom