• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you say the sounds for weapons in H3 were above Reach? You might want to shoot that AR or BR in Halo 3 one more time.
Shii I knew, but didn't want to be reminded of them before posting. lol

Edit: Oh God, Top Post.

Question, Just an idea. Should Forge in Halo 4 have environment sounds you could place? Halo 3 had for it's Non-Forged Maps memorable environment sounds ex. Guardian, making the MP experience better?

I do wonder what would be on the second disc. It doesn't look like there will be a lot more content than Reach had and all of that fitted on one disc (there are of course the frame rate issues but I don't know if that is caused by not enough space on disc). This is of course, assuming Spartan Ops is DLC.

If we get two discs, one for MP and one for Multiplayer, on what disc do you guys think Spartan Ops would be on? I'd think it'd be on the multiplayer disc since they've always described SpOps as a multiplayer gamemode. It would also be pretty annoying to constantly have to switch discs (I assume most people will have multiplayer in their disc tray most of the time) if you wanted to pllay SpOps.
The graphic etc. needs more storage? Halo 4 looks better than Reach, has a "true" 720p resolution at 30fps. And we do not know how big the campaign will be.

Nuborn

Two discs, lets hope the case isn't as bad as the Halo 3 limited edition.

Disc 1: Campaign
Disc 2: Infinity (War Games, Spartan Ops & Forge)

$200+ for protection every month.

I'll say it is another community.

fuck are you guys already paying 200+? as i mentioned before look into other hosts, and contact them beforehand and ask if they can handle the attacks your getting. big companies like hostgator, bluehost, godaddy probably won't do shit nor do they care.

your best bet is to just look up reviews and see what other people say about different hosts at this point. i don't know the magnitude of the attacks, but they seem pretty big if they've attacked and succeeded this many times.

The graphic etc. needs more storage? Halo 4 looks better than Reach, has a "true" 720p resolution at 30fps. And we do not know how big the campaign will be.

It would be awesome if they could make a longer campaign because of the 2 discs. Maybe something around 15 hours or something.

And the graphics could indeed be the cause for the 2 discs. I think BF3 did the same thing.

Portugeezer

Since you guys were posting pics, here's some more (ODST Firefight):

Edit, saved them badly, low quality for some reason :(

If you like one, you can view here in high quality http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Screenshots.aspx?player=TiagoPORTUGAL

cUXgK.jpg
IRkpo.jpg
xFf86.jpg
dv6pw.jpg
vwYXG.jpg
xzkTx.jpg
(lol owned)

It would be awesome if they could make a longer campaign because of the 2 discs. Maybe something around 15 hours or something.
Two discs would free them up to make a longer campaign (along with everything else), but I suspect that time constraints and developer resources are bigger limiting factors when making a videogame campaign. But that's based on my zero experience in developing videogames.

@EuropeOG: The bottom middle is my favorite.

Sofa King

And the graphics could indeed be the cause for the 2 discs. I think BF3 did the same thing.

My guess is that since they are billing Spartan Ops as a second campaign in length for free, the campaign won't be much longer.

nillapuddin

If Anniversary had a Skull cut because there wasnt enough space, its pretty safe to assume that Halo 4 is ambitious enough to require 2 disks.
(still cant get over that, crazy how packed on there that disk must be)

Two discs would free them up to make a longer campaign (along with everything else), but I suspect that time constraints and developer resources are bigger limiting factors when making a videogame campaign. But that's based on my zero experience in developing videogames.

@EuropeOG: The bottom middle is my favorite.

Yeah, I'm not hoping on much more either. Mainly because they said the mission we saw at E3 is 1/3th into the campaign. I'd estimate that that mission would then be the 3th one. It wouldn't seem logical to me to have the player fight old enemies for more than 2 missions. So with this assumption, that would mean the campaign would have around 9 or 10 missions. The missions could be much longer than in previous games but again, I don't have much hope for that.

That was my speculation based on one comment for today :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
But why? You get a leak and then what? 343 comes in and tells you things have changed since that months old build? Then where are you?

You know damn well games companies don't release footage from a network beta 8 months before launch. You don't even need it. You just have come to expect that the devs tell you everything they're doing.

Transparency is totally awesome but let's be realistic, they don't need to fully explain everything. There would be massive fallout for example, if the Halo 2 dev team had told people a few months before launch of each and every campaign mission they had in the game. Why? Because the reality changed between when they would have said that and when the game shipped.
-No one's asking for campaign info
-This is pure speculation, but I'd be willing to bet that most features of the game are locked down at this point (not finished, but the basic stuff is there). If they tell us, for example, that the jetpack functions like a jump pack, I don't think it would change
-Nobody is saying it's required that MS or 343i release a fact sheet about the game (although I'd be down with it). We're just asking for how the basics work.

Also, why do you seem to be upset over us wanting this? Whether it's an old build or not, it's a lot better than discussing rape.
I am interested in seeing what the jetpack and regenfield are like even if it's just an old build.
Seconded. It's also interesting to see old footage, gives us a bit of info about the development of the game. However, if it's just going to be a bunch of racist, trolling drivel, I'm not interested.
Glorious, Dax.

One I stole from the H3 screenshot thread.

Spelunk.jpg

Dat lighting.
Geez, that looks insane. In certain parts, Halo 3 looks just as good as games considered to be 360 graphical powerhouses.

Edit: I meant to ask this earlier: I remember hearing early on that Halo 4's campaign was supposed to be much longer than the others. Am I wrong? I haven't heard anything on that in awhile, so I may just be crazy :p

Portugeezer

I do wonder what would be on the second disc. It doesn't look like there will be a lot more content than Reach had and all of that fitted on one disc (there are of course the frame rate issues but I don't know if that is caused by not enough space on disc). This is of course, assuming Spartan Ops is DLC.

If we get two discs, one for MP and one for Multiplayer, on what disc do you guys think Spartan Ops would be on? I'd think it'd be on the multiplayer disc since they've always described SpOps as a multiplayer gamemode. It would also be pretty annoying to constantly have to switch discs (I assume most people will have multiplayer in their disc tray most of the time) if you wanted to pllay SpOps.

Halo Reach saved space because the MP maps were shared with the campaign, that saves a lot of space.

Halo 4 will have separate campaign and multiplayer maps, if Reach would have done the same then I don't see how it would have fit onto one disc.

I think one of the Halo 4 discs could be Spartan Ops, there is no reason for it to be downloadable unless 343 can't finish all the missions before launch (SP guys must be working on Spartan Ops, they finished campaign a long time ago I believe), but in reality I expect it to be locked content already on a disc which is unlocked every week.

Korosenai

Two discs, lets hope the case isn't as bad as the Halo 3 limited edition.

Disc 1: Campaign
Disc 2: Infinity (War Games, Spartan Ops & Forge)

This would make the most sense considering the scale of the game. From what we've seen from campaign so far, it may need its own disc. And Infinity seems large in scale as well, with spartan ops and war games, so it'll probably need its own disc too

neoism

If Anniversary had a Skull cut because there wasnt enough space, its pretty safe to assume that Halo 4 is ambitious enough to require 2 disks.\
(still cant get over that, crazy how packed on there that disk must be)

The engine my use bigger texture sizes than in the past. The game looks retarded good.

-No one's asking for campaign info Comparisons work in interesting and fascinating ways. The similarities are the same.
-This is pure speculation, but I'd be willing to bet that most features of the game are locked down at this point (not finished, but the basic stuff is there). If they tell us, for example, that the jetpack functions like a jump pack, I don't think it would change Baseless speculation. The past has taught us of many things that could have been but weren't at launch. They've told us of the ranking system but nothing too specific for this reason.
-Nobody is saying it's required that MS or 343i release a fact sheet about the game (although I'd be down with it). We're just asking for how the basics work. We know the basic premise. It's much too early to really care about these systems anyway.

Answers in bold.

If I 'seem to be upset about this', I suggest you reflect on how you perceive things.

Korosenai

Answers in bold.

If I 'seem to be about this', I suggest you reflect on how you perceive things.

You can't compare someone wanting multiplayer footage to also wanting campaign footage. They're two different beasts, and you're putting words in our mouths.

And yep, its too early to care for a game that, you know, we care about and want to know more about. (That also happens to be releasing in less than 100 days)

Seconded. It's also interesting to see old footage, gives us a bit of info about the development of the game. However, if it's just going to be a bunch of racist, trolling drivel, I'm not interested.

it wasn't mtw that released those screens. i'm pretty sure other people have access the beta.

sure things change from beta to finished product (halo 2's single shot scoped BR), but it's interesting to see what the game could have been like. i hope mtw releases a decent leak that isn't a troll, but im expecting hd cap with weird cuts, and loud rap.

You can't compare someone wanting multiplayer to also wanting campaign. They're two different beasts, and you're putting words in our mouths.

And yep, its too early to care for a game that, you know, we care about and want to know more about.

I am not comparing people. I am comparing the details. No company releases details until they are 100% certain that those details will be indicative of the final product. If they do release info, it's usually with a pretty hefty disclaimer that the information can change.

It's the same with campaign details. It's the same with multiplayer details. It's the same with the size of the OST. It's the same with the key art they use. It's the same with the UI. It's the same with the amount of pages they say will be in the manual.

Also, if people look back. When did we ever get an idea as to what features didn't make the cut of any game? Guardian was going to be in Halo 3's campaign. We found that out post-release of Halo 3. Why on earth would you expect to see these things before the game even comes out? That's suicidal marketing right there because you have people clamouring to those cut features. This is exactly the reason that the Network Test wasn't released to the public and why there are no sreenshots (except from idiots).

Edit: So while it's really awesome when we see what could have been, at least wait until the ame releases before wanting to see that stuff.... You know, the way these things have always happened.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Answers in bold.

If I 'seem to be upset about this', I suggest you reflect on how you perceive things.
I may be wrong, but you're literally calling out people for wanting information that you don't deem necessary for us to know. You've jumped on just about every critic of this game.

I mean, we obviously have vastly differing opinions on the matter, and that's fine.

Sofa King

And yep, its too early to care for a game that, you know, we care about and want to know more about. (That also happens to be releasing in less than 100 days)

Speaking of days left to H4 launch, I have found a new tool for this. This is not to get people into a tizzy of politics, but as a fairly left leaning type myself I find little use in listening to Sean Hannity. But every day now his show makes a point to tell the listeners how many days until the election, and I find myself tuning in fairly regularly and substituting election for Halo 4 in my brain. Kind of an odd habit to form, but hey whatever works.

To Hydra's point, releasing info about stuff then changing it is the exact reason why people dislike and distrust Peter Molyneux.
A tad different context makes it very different.

Point ultimately is: People feel more starved for content and details than they have been in comparision to Bungie's titles.

I may be wrong, but you're literally calling out people for wanting information that you don't deem necessary for us to know.
What? I see posters criticizing Microsoft for not releasing specific information (about an upcoming title they are both developing and publishing) that meets what requirement? Stuff they personally wanna know? How is this a valid criticism of marketing?

Most of us have been here for years and know that we're essentially in a position of waiting for scraps. The implied sense of entitlement from some is embarrassing.

Point ultimately is: People feel more starved for content and details than they have been in comparision to Bungie's titles.

Yeah, I agree with that sentiment, I'm even one of those people. It's just that I can see it from 343/Hydra's side too.

The implied sense of entitlement from some is embarrassing.

I wouldn't call wanting more info about a product a company wants to sell me "entitlement".

And more footage of what the game will actually be like will be much appreciated by all of us.

I initially responded to Gabo for wanting MTW's 'old' pics. Am I alone in thinking that looking for redundant info is a bit silly?

Fracas

#fuckonami
What? I see posters criticizing Microsoft for not releasing specific information (about an upcoming title they are both developing and publishing) that meets what requirement? Stuff they personally wanna know? How is this a valid criticism of marketing?

Most of us have been here for years and know that we're essentially in a position of waiting for scraps. The implied sense of entitlement from some is embarrassing.
I'm not saying it's required that we be told information, I'm just saying it sucks that nearly everything I know about Halo 4 has come from some random youtube channel's offscreen shaky cam footage. 343/MS isn't obligated in any way to release information; it'd just be nice.
And more footage of what the game will actually be like will be much appreciated by all of us.

I initially responded to Gabo for wanting MTW's 'old' pics. Am I alone in thinking that looking for redundant info is a bit silly?
It may be redundant, but it'd be interesting at the least. Lol, we need news badly, obsolete or not.

I'm not saying it's required that we be told information, I'm just saying it sucks that nearly everything I know about Halo 4 has come from some random youtube channel's offscreen shaky cam footage. 343/MS isn't obligated in any way to release information; it'd just be nice.

It may be redundant, but it'd be interesting at the least.
Lol, we need news badly, obsolete or not.

I agree with the bolded but the underlined is just silly. What good would it serve 343 to advertise content wich no longer exists?

Concerning Halo 3's lighting: I think that it looks good, but I'm bummed that it's just pre-baked. Imagine a Scarab explosion lighting up the environment with the addition of proper shadows being cast.

Well, that would probably require a lot of power to run on a console, but it would definitely look awesome. :lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
I agree with the bolded but the underlined is just silly. What good would it serve 343 to advertise content wich no longer exists?
I was talking about if the mtw guy were to leak anymore.

If 343 did any sort of ViDoc, of course it would be with an updated build.

It's not redundant, it's old. Why anyone would want information about a build that's pre-E3 is really beyond me.

Then again, I've actually played a little bit of Halo 4, so my hunger for tablescraps isn't quite as much as others.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Folks who have been here a long time have built up expectations for what 343 are doing based how Bungie and Microsoft have historically done things. When Halo has made appearances in the past, usually there would be the initial reveal, off-screen cam footage, followed by an official video Vidoc explaining things officially and a write-up going into specific details.

Where's the campaign Vidoc/BTS? Where's the multiplayer Vidoc/BTS? Where's the Fogre Vidoc/BTS?

Halo 4 is making some of the deepest and significant changes in the franchise's history and the hardcore fans here are simply expressing their opinion that, compared with other titles, they aren't getting the info from the horses mouth.

For the past few months, rather than go straight to 343 with videos and explanations, it seems as if MLG Twitters and shaky cam footage, and blind assumptions and speculation from random sources are providing the information instead of 343.

That's why the whole shotgun loadout bullshit started. Misinformation, rampant speculation. That's why idiots like MTW are being looked up to because they are providing answers, even if they are total bullshit.

I have full confidence in 343 doing the game, the series and the entire franchise justice in the end but even I have to admit that, at this stage, catering to the hardcore fans, they could do a whole lot better than what they are currently doing.

darthbob

I hope for Halo 4 that we finally get real time reflections in the visor.

Bummed to see that in such a limited capacity in Halo 3, and non existant in Reach.

Folks who have been here a long time have built up expectations for what 343 are doing based how Bungie and Microsoft have historically done things. When Halo has made appearances in the past, usually there would be the initial reveal, off-screen cam footage, followed by an official video Vidoc explaining things officially and a write-up going into specific details.

Where's the campaign Vidoc/BTS? Where's the multiplayer Vidoc/BTS? Where's the Fogre Vidoc/BTS?

Halo 4 is making some of the deepest and significant changes in the franchise's history and the hardcore fans here are simply expressing their opinion that, compared with other titles, they aren't getting the info from the horses mouth.

For the past few months, rather than go straight to 343 with videos and explanations, it seems as if MLG Twitters and shaky cam footage, and blind assumptions and speculation from random sources are providing the information instead of 343.

That's why the whole shotgun loadout bullshit started. Misinformation, rampant speculation. That's why idiots like MTW are being looked up to because they are providing answers, even if they are total bullshit.

I have full confidence in 343 doing the game, the series and the entire franchise justice in the end but even I have to admit that, at this stage, catering to the hardcore fans, they could do a whole lot better than what they are currently doing.

Well, they are an internal Microsoft group, not Bungie, so I don't find this lack of information surprising. Also important to consider is that this is their first major game.

EqRJH.gif

So here are all the videos made by 343 that have Halo 4 footage in it that isn't an event recap video:

Halo 4 spring showcase trailer
Halo 4 E3 reveal
War games gameplay
Spartan Ops gameplay
Halo 4 infinity multiplayer trailer
SDCC multiplayer panel

The rest of the gameplay footage we've seen so far is either of screen or released somewhere else (the MLG videos e.g.). AndI couldn't even find half of those videos on their channel. And then you have those 2 rooster teeth videos that announced the release date but those don't really count.

So in total, we have 6 videos and we're about 3 months away from release. Non of those video's have really explained anything in depth so far.

For all we know, the marketing team would prefer this lull so that in the few months leading up to the Holiday season, information will be dished out by the megatons.

Halo 3 had amazing lighting, it really made the game pop.. But other than that the game left a lot to be desired visually. Mix Halo 3 and Reach visually (lighting & colors + more complex geometry, animation, textures etc) and you have a winner.. and it seems Halo 4 is that and then some.

I fucking sick of this Mcfarlane bullshit, Halo 2/3 Era figures are smaller than the Reach Era and the Halo 4 series is introducing a new scale!?!.

Its just shit looks shitty. Mcfarlane have been nothing but horrible with the Halo series from day 1, the majority of the figures look like they have been painted by a blind kid with no hands and the different scales screw up any hope of having a decent looking collection.

NECA should of gotten the rights day one. They have done a good job with the gears line.

Paint some halo stuff

Eh, I dont agree that neca should have got the line because we would have never got vehicles, hunters or other large figures.. I understand why McFarlane increased the scale for Reach, I always thought the Halo 3 items were too small.. but it really sucks that Halo 4 altered the scale a bit also. It really stands out in these pictures:

(pics from Dreeday @Halofigures)

Awesome, thanks for posting! Im glad to see the Weta hog was used again.. Man, I wonder what else Weta still has from Halo at their studios. If a movie were to happen I wonder if PJ and Weta would be interested, or if after the last failed attempt they would want to steer clear.

On another note, wasn't there another, new looking Warthog made for this also?

One can hope..

Found it at HBO:

Bam, its sexy alright. Still, it really seems a little lacking in content, so hopefully we can get a better idea of whats inside. Also, its going to be interesting to see why the game is on two discs.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Posted already in the Forward Unto Dawn thread, sorry if old but posted on youtube today.

Spoiler about when the scene takes place in the story is within the first 40 seconds or so.

Filming of the Warthog Chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le6TQCk2j7I&feature=player_embedded

Gonna bump this post for those that haven't seen it, seems to be getting lost in discussion about marketing for the game itself.

We are not seeing a lot of stuff for the actual game because 343i has a lot on their plate...finishing the game. I am sure once Forward Unto Dawn starts airing in October we will start to get more updates or possibly in September.

Release new game footage in September while plugging the web series, and then release the web series weekly the following month while plugging the game. Two months of plugs!

I personally want to see the mtw leaks... Not really for info about the game, but just out of curiosity to see what ideas 343 had. I know it's not in 343's best interest to ever show that stuff and I don't expect them to, but I would still love to see it.

I totally expect vidocs etc once the games gone gold, would probably be best for them to hype it closer to release from a marketing standpoint anyway

Actually I dont like NECA toys anymore after Dead Space and GOW2 toys series, they just reduced the material quality, yes they increased the sizes but the detail just decreased.

I wanted to buy GoW3's Anya but look at this

Karl2177

I'll say this, Bungie was much better at doling the info out and keeping the community salivating for more info. How long until the game goes to cert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom