• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfinit

Why?
It isn't like you can back out once your matched.
I think it's much more important that matchmaking uses skill, rather than it being visible.

The skill visibility is really only useful for bragging and replay ability.

However it is useful to get an idea of the competition you're up against before the game begins, especially in competitive environments. In Reach (because the visible ranking system isn't related to skill in most cases), I often check K/D's off their matachmaking overview to get an idea of who's going to be the strong players, etc.

It's like going into a competition and you might be a fifty, but you don't know if you're going up against a twenty or another fifty without the visible representation, you just have to hope the matchmaking system identified skills and matched your competition up correctly. There's a little more to visible skill than just "bragging and replay ability."

Beckx

Why?
It isn't like you can back out once your matched.

Don't want to back out. Just want to know what I'm up against.

Not sure why this is so controversial. No one complains about rank showing up when you match in a fighting game.

So - leaving aside aside the boosting issue - why do you care if there's performance data in the pre-game screens? Serious question. I stink - for a while I worried about my crappy .8 K/D and (later) 40 BPR ("oh god, what if someone finds out!"), but it's not like people won't see how bad I am when we play. I'm not really hiding anything. So what if some random wants to be an asshole about it in pre-game? If I'm with friends, I'm likely in party chat, and if I'm alone, I've already muted everyone. Even then, Halo has the best muting options on the 360.

MrBig

Frankie has already talked a lot on ranking systems already.
From what I gathered, they are very against displaying a public "skill" rank as it promotes unsportsmanlike conduct: boosting, cheating, account trading, etc.
I believe he said that they are looking into ways of privately informing you how well you preform compared to others.
So I wouldn't get your hopes up too much...

Before you yell at me, I personally would prefer a publicly viewable rank.
I much prefer competing over grinding out exp to level.

Guys I'm a 50. Believe me.

However it is useful to get an idea of the competition you're up against before the game begins, especially in competitive environments. In Reach (because the visible ranking system isn't related to skill in most cases), I often check K/D's off their matachmaking overview to get an idea of who's going to be the strong players, etc.

It's like going into a competition and you might be a fifty, but you don't know if you're going up against a twenty or another fifty without the visible representation, you just have to hope the matchmaking system identified skills and matched your competition up correctly. There's a little more to visible skill than just "bragging and replay ability."

When it is a setup game between people I know, then I'll definitely be looking at who is who.
I know which each player usually does off start, and which weapons they prefer, how they approach the weapons, etc.

But in matchmaking it is completely different.
It doesn't matter how 'good' someone is overall.
That doesn't help me strategize.
99% of the time, I have no idea which player I'm fighting in a given encounter.
I know their role at the current time, but not their 'skill' level.
It isn't worth my time or attention to look above the enemy's head at their name, because by the time I figure it out, the fight is already over.
It isn't like I'm going to be fighting a guy, realize it happens to be the 50 three shots into the battle, and then run away soley because it is the 50.

Sure I might not approach a highly skilled player where they would have the advantage, but that should apply to each encounter, no matter the player.

But everyone is going to have their own opinions on the matter, I'm just trying to justify 343's said philosophy on the ranking system in the way I understand it.

Epic Games, Insomniac Games etc. have on thing in common: They announced their PAX Prime panels. I hope 343i is revealing their panel plans soon.

Has the discussion been made of AA in Halo 4 being "unlockable" to specific types of AA once achieved by Rank (or maybe specializations)?

PV is supposed to be a starter AA for everyone before advancing to more Skilled AA like for ex. 343 vs. HBO/HaloGAF Gameplay showing straffing with Thruster Pack against PV users in a BR battle on Haven.

Will it be 1)PV > Hard Light Shield > Thruster Pack > ? or are they all available for your custom loadouts?

Portugeezer

Pretty sure that MP maps also being a location in Campaign doesn't change any space requirements. You still have to have a separate .map for each MP map.

I don't believe game designers would be so wasteful, if that is true then I would be surprised. Having separate .map doesn't mean the data in them is unique (or vice versa to the .campaign or whatever they're called), of course, the multiplayer maps were slightly different to the campaign layout.

Has the discussion of AA in Halo 4 being "unlockable" to specific types of AA once achieved by Rank (or maybe specializations)?

PV is supposed to be a starter AA for everyone before advancing to more Skilled AA like for ex. 343 vs. HBO/HaloGAF Gameplay showing straffing with Thruster Pack against PV users in a BR battle on Haven.

Will it be 1)PV > Hard Light Shield > Thruster Pack > ? or are they all available for your custom loadouts?
They never said anything about armor abilities relating to specializations, only armor mods. Don't expect AA's to be exclusive; everyone will have access to them.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

I can't wait to see MLG's playlist in Halo 4 because most of what they're looking for is already there in the core gameplay and mechanics, all they'd have to do is remove the loadout system (unless they want people to be able to choose between BR or DMR).

Thermite and I played Halo 3 MLG a lot and ended up getting to like 38 on our own, but Reach MLG is just horrible because of Reach's underlying mechanics still creeping up despite MLG's efforts to push it aside with all their tweaks.

Halo 4 MLG is going to be fun and I can't wait to get back into it.

Geez, that looks insane. In certain parts, Halo 3 looks just as good as games considered to be 360 graphical powerhouses.
That's a pretty outlandish statement. Theater mode screenshots are the equivalent of a bullshot. Try taking direct feed screenshots and behold the low res jaggyness.

I still think Halo 3 looks good, but it doesn't come anywhere close to as good as Gears 3.

I WANT IN
I WANT YOU IN ME.

I mean Gears 3. Later today.

That's a pretty outlandish statement. Theater mode screenshots are the equivalent of a bullshot. Try taking direct feed screenshots and behold the low res jaggyness.

I still think Halo 3 looks good, but it doesn't come anywhere close to as good as Gears 3.

I WANT YOU IN ME.

I mean Gears 3. Later today.
I'd like to jump in on this too.

I can't wait to see MLG's playlist in Halo 4 because most of what they're looking for is already there in the core gameplay and mechanics, all they'd have to do is remove the loadout system (unless they want people to be able to choose between BR or DMR).

Thermite and I played Halo 3 MLG a lot and ended up getting to like 38 on our own, but Reach MLG is just horrible because of Reach's underlying mechanics still creeping up despite MLG's efforts to push it aside with all their tweaks.

Have you recently played Halo Reach MLG? Because with zero bloom, it's really awesome IMO. And right now, I'm having more fun playing Reach's MLG than playing Halo 3 (mainly duo to the bad netcode but still, it's pretty damn good).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Have you recently played Halo Reach MLG? Because with zero bloom, it's really awesome IMO. And right now, I'm having more fun playing Reach's MLG than playing Halo 3 (mainly duo to the bad netcode).

Yeah I have. I love the no bloom, faster speed, and the fact that they're one of the rare playlists with bleedthrough still there, but Reach's overall jankiness still creeps up in there.

Aggrotek

Here are some of my old school halo 3 screen shots:

mJN3l.jpg

qtWTh.jpg

n4dCI.jpg

mgz0R.jpg

5wnmS.jpg

HrBzc.jpg

qFDNQ.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Reach MLG shits all over Halo 3 MLG. Bloom, no bloom, sprint, no sprint, doesn't matter. H3 has the better maps.

Yeah I have. I love the no bloom, faster speed, and the fact that they're one of the rare playlists with bleedthrough still there, but Reach's overall jankiness still creeps up in there.

Okay, fair enough. The only thing from Reach that still bothers me in the MLG playlist are the grenades. They don't bounce right. You can't properly throw them around corners, they get stuck in the geometry real easy etc.

heckfu

Banned
It looks better in motion than if you were to take a shot while the player is standing still. I think the jaggies are very noticeable only for far-off objects.

Anyway, some more.

That first one looks awesome and brings back so many good memories!

Nando13

I also want Halo 4 in the ProCircuit. But we dont know what Halo game will be included.

CS - 8770 votes
Halo - 8290 votes

Gogogo.

Akai__

I wanna play some Halo 3 right about now...

I lost my copy.

How can someone lose their copy of Halo 3? Also, don't you have the ODST disc (Halo 3 multiplayer) with all the maps?

I also want Halo 4 in the ProCircuit. But we dont know what Halo game will be included.

CS - 8770 votes
Halo - 8290 votes

Gogogo.

If Halo Reach makes it in again, I won't watch it. It's completely boring and it's not as awesome as Halo 3 was. Those days were the mainstage was overfilled and people sat behind the commentator booth. Or were people actually cheered for a triple kill/overkill.

DeadNames

Banned
How can someone lose their copy of Halo 3? Also, don't you have the ODST disc (Halo 3 multiplayer) with all the maps?

I put my Halo 3 disc next to my Xbox for later playing, only to find out that it's gone. And no, I don't have the ODST disc. Might as well buy re-ODST... Planning on playing through all the Halo campaigns (sorry, Halo Wars) before I play Halo 4.

Overdoziz

Banned
If Halo Reach makes it in again, I won't watch it. It's completely boring and it's not as awesome as Halo 3 was. Those days were the mainstage was overfilled and people sat behind the commentator booth. Or were people actually cheered for a triple kill/overkill.
Did you see the last Reach event? Because it awesome. The matches were great, the audience was cheering all the time and Cyren made a creepy cutout of Walsy's face.

Enfinit

Did you see the last Reach event? Because it awesome. The matches were great, the audience was cheering all the time and Cyren made a creepy cutout of Walsy's face.

The last Reach event was amazing. If all of Reach's events were like that, the world would be a much better place.

Akai__

I put my Halo 3 disc next to my Xbox for later playing, only to find out that it's gone. And no, I don't have the ODST disc. Might as well buy re-ODST... Planning on playing through all the Halo campaigns (sorry, Halo Wars) before I play Halo 4.

Ignored...

Joking :)

But seriously, that's the weirdest thing for a Halo fan. :p

Edit:

Forgot to mention it. After I watched like 3 or 4 events which Final Boss dominated, I think. I got bored and I watched Starcraft 2, which was a lot better and really funny. I kinda regret it now, because you said it was awesome. I will re-watch it, if possible.

Edit 2:

I know...

I don't even have my copy of Halo 2 anymore...

Bad luck DeadNames confirmed. :)

neoism

Played more ODST today, again, we encountered a smooth experience. After the game ended, I found out that Robbert was at fault for '47%' percent of my deaths.

Nice work, dingus!

damn love to play this with one guys. :/ Haven't played 4 player firefight in a while

kylej

Banned
I think I'm going to start streaming. I feel like I should be recording these Oddball Sword Base games for future generations.

DeadNames

Banned
From the most recent preorder chart on the main preorder chart website:Whoa... BO2 is really catching up, and I don't even see Treyarch with an ad campaign. Ironically enough, this seems to be the most controversial CoD, with most people I know saying they wont get it.

Step it up, 343!

From the most recent preorder chart on the main preorder chart website:Whoa... BO2 is really catching up, and I don't even see Treyarch with an ad campaign. Ironically enough, this seems to be the most controversial CoD, with most people I know saying they wont get it.

Step it up, 343!

BO2 will pass H4, it's an unfortunate reality (thanks Reach). Halo 4 will be the one to bring Halo back, so Halo 5 will outsell BO3/MW5

And look at all the pre-order gimmicks CoD has going right now, it's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom