• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I didn't think you would like our custom of two forts Bobs', we've been playing it since H3.

But two forts is unbeatable for wacky fun, was better in halo 3 because of the balanced banshee.

Copied is a strong word. Why build my house with sticks when I can use bricks? Just because I used bricks doesn't mean I am copying you. We can have completely different houses built but you'd accuse me of copying you? There is, of course, and always should be a source of inspiration for every medium.

With that in mind I absolutly believe Halo should draw inspirations from other games. Many are the games who have looked to Halo for inspiration.

COD having Theater mode is isn't 'copying' Halo. Sites having expansive stat tracking in the wake of Bungie.net are not simply 'copying'. Copying is what's left to Zynga.

Personal Dax drops - Are these meant to be copying Care Packages from COD? They certainly don't sound too similar. I think they are a weird beast because it seems to draw away from map placement. What I mean by this is that there won't be a shotgun outside the base on Blood Gulch anymore or there won't be snipers next to ample sight lines. Instead, there seems to be a shift towards playing aggresively. Want a scattershot? You have to do something for it. Simpy happening to spawn near it as in traditional modes won't cut it. It also means I can't just walk over to the enemy's base and take their shotgun. I think these will certainly shift the focus of some playstyles.

To touch on global drops vs traditional spawns: This isn't in COD, right? Is this only worthy of mention if you think it's better than the 'classic' style? I am certainly willing to give them a go. We will no doubt learn the maps like the back of our hands. While I always love the first 30 second rush on good maps, I am definitely open to this idea of a dynamic opening. So, instead of simply always going for Rockets on Powerhouse, we will end up having plenty of possible 'plays' if you will.

We already know the locations are predetermined so that just leaves the players guessing what will spawn where. I am hoping the locations will be somewhat neutral but I could be wrong. I actually think there will be a great level of skill needed for these opening games, especially if the competitive crowd can see it like I do. Because the weapons aren't known, players will have a few seconds to pick a strategy and act on it. I think maps will change far beyond their geometry in this 30 second period. Heatmaps will be a little more spread out and if I am stuck playing Haven forever and ever, at least I will have a different experience each time.

So yeah, this could be a great addition. I stress addition because we can guess from 'classic' offerings that weapons will apwn in those modes.

Instant respawns - Lose a 5 second timer and get accused of copying COD? It's a stretch in my book. First off, the obvious. This won't be the case for Objective Halo which is what immediately says there isn't any copying here. Objective goes hand in hand for Halo with me. With that said, I don't know how big an impact these will have on Slayer. The Haven footage so far certainly hasn;t had any glaring flaws as a result of instant respawns. Players can still wind down if they need to but I think getting dominated on your own spawn will be less of a problem. I think this will cause attacking players to leave a bit of breathing room so they don't get overwhelmed trying to camp the other spawns. with mods to get shileds back faster amon oter things, I'm sure that kind of dominating attacking player will have their fix.

Universal Sprint - Being able to run faster than the norm at a penalty is something I've wanted for a long time. Counter Strike has been doing it for years and COD certainly took it a step further (so punny). CS and COD both do this well and there should be nothing stopping a dev from wanting to do similar things with their sandbox, assuming it allows it. Reach's mistake with sprint was the lack of a discernable penalty. With Halo 4 stunning players who get shot while sprinting, I think the shift we'll see will be to a more passive ability. It won't be the evasion tool it has been in Reach.

Perks - I honestly don't think these are nearly as defining and outright gamechanging as the COD variants. I believe Domino Theory when he says they are tweaks. They sound like artificial enhancers of skill. Skilled players will enhance their skills while using these. For lesser players, it could be the bridge they need to enhance some element of their game so they can better tackle other players.

The difference between imitation and inspiration is how you take what is there and make it your own.

Ok, appreciate the response. I would argue that things like Theatre and stat tracking are meta features that would improve any game that didn't have them and are not the same as radical gameplay changes that alter the core principles of a series' established identity. Feature parity (or a feature 'arms race') is almost always a good thing for gaming going forward. Gameplay feature 'parity', not necessarily so.

Like Null Pointer said earlier, a lot of it seems like straight rips on COD's style. This is not to say Halo 4 will be a derivitive gameplay experience; the mere fact that they appear to have nailed strafing, gunplay, nades and jumpheight promises a more fun and expressive time than the often individually-shackling Reach and will surely feel like Halo of yore in that respect. It could be the best Halo... "Talent borrows, genius steals". I just find it very difficult to even try to argue that Halo 4 isn't heavily borrowing from COD at this point.

In Infinity gametypes there are still Weapon drops, the only difference is the weapons that spawn are "shuffled"

So there will still be [a weapon] in the rocks outside of Blood Gulch, it just wont be the shotgun everytime.
Infinity is not a purely personal ordnance driven gametype.

Am I correct in this assessment?
(I pretty confident I am)

edit:
love ya unknown, but that aint Reach friend.
thats some glorious Halo CE art

You are correct that Infinity gametypes have both personal and global ordnance, while "standard or classic" Slayer/other gametypes only have global ordnance.

It is unclear if the global ordnance behaves differently in Infinity to compensate for more weapons and power ups being in the game due to personal ordnance.

As for Hydra's post above, I know people get all upset about the "copying" term, and often with good reason, but I would definitively state that there is a clear emphasis in Halo 4 on bringing some of the features that are largely expected in shooters these days to Halo.

NEW HALO 4 TRAILER

That I made.

Enjoy. I'll upload a second version (Halo 4 Trailer 2: Didactic Boogaloo) with the "I have long dreamt of this day, Reclaimer" bit from E3 2012 in place of the shoot-my-way-out part if I can get stupid Vegas to render again.

I fucking love Ninja, Dudes a joy to watch not only playing but the way he act's

Did 343i ever speak about Nicole. I'm Curious as to What Frankie BasedGod Of Lore has to say about her, is she acknowledge as part of the Canon or is she just going to get forgotten about.

Aggrotek

Aggrotek check your pms
Check your's back.

NEW HALO 4 TRAILER

That I made.

Enjoy. I'll upload a second version (Halo 4 Trailer 2: Didactic Boogaloo) with the "I have long dreamt of this day, Reclaimer" bit from E3 2012 in place of the shoot-my-way-out part if I can get stupid Vegas to render again.
Awesome. :)
I'd do it. Just for the feels.

I probably would too just to have the chance to play against him. But this is an ongoing thing between them...

Old picture, but I was going back through this thread, and got a lot of hype back from looking at all the pics and gifs. I felt like sharing the joy a bit:

3tVzM.png

iblKT9H1ar72id.gif

That's the thing, I don't think it was ever confirmed that the Spartan in those concept arts was MC, but rather a generic Spartan they were planning Reach for. It's all a clouded memory at this point anyway..

Are you sure that is Reach concept art? Those look a lot like Halo 2 era ODSTs, leading me to think its for that or early an Halo 3 concept. Either way, its great art and I would love to see the games emulate tense moments like this.

Tawpgun

Gears of War Judgement adding always-on crosshairs?

It's like every popular shooter has to dumb it down a bit.

Speaking of GoW:J my hype could not be lower. I felt like GoW3 did such a neat job of finishing up the series. The only way i could be interested in more Gears if it was something set after the 3rd game with a new threat and completely new squad mates with maybe Cole making an appearance for a bit.

Hopefully closer to release my hype grows, I'm in the camp that actually liked the Gears storyline but for me that book is closed.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I swear Sudd 2 is a masochist... he basically begs to play again.
He has a notion in the back of his head telling him he'll win if he plays just one more time.
Old picture, but I was going back through this thread, and got a lot of hype back from looking at all the pics and gifs. I felt like sharing the joy a bit:

3tVzM.png

iblKT9H1ar72id.gif
1. dat weapon detail
2. dem shadows and A.I. behavior
3. Thick neck Jackal, :(
Gears of War Judgement adding always-on crosshairs?

It's like every popular shooter has to dumb it down a bit.
Gears FFA? FINALLY.

Are you sure that is Reach concept art? Those look a lot like Halo 2 era ODSTs, leading me to think its for that or early an Halo 3 concept. Either way, its great art and I would love to see the games emulate tense moments like this.

love how the watchers just a bunch of separate pieces floating around together. just held in place by the center eye thing.

the DMR looks crazy good from the side, the first person view looks better in halo 4 as well.

finally, the promethean sniper/binary rifle? should make a cool synthetic/electronic sound when it fires.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Going full on Team Downer is bad but going full on SLRP SLRP is annoying too and there are people who do it here too.

These are the people who say you are not allowed to judge a game unless you've played the full version for some time and until then everything the Dev is doing is infallible.

I want Team Reasonable at PAX in full force.

Having no beta sucks.
Amen.

malfcn

Weird question related to Reach. I have the GonD version. On my HDD all I have is the Game, and Defiant Maps, I deleted "Firefight Achievements" because it was trash? Is my gamesave rolled into the GonD? Because I have none.

FyreWulff

Weird question related to Reach. I have the GonD version. On my HDD all I have is the Game, and Defiant Maps, I deleted "Firefight Achievements" because it was trash? Is my gamesave rolled into the GonD? Because I have none.

Firefight Achievements was a Firefight gametype, right? Works the same with either GonD or Disc otherwise, GonD just lives in the folder with the other files.

Top Bottom