• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TheOddOne

I wasn't setting out to prove anything, I simply posted my reasoning as to why I feel Halo 4 lacks the same creative spark the original Halo's have. If you read my post you will see I clarified my reasoning as to why this is.
This is the last I will say about this for the sake of everybody else being annoyed by this all. No, you didn't make any clarification. You made broad assumptions, that people called you out for.

The fact that you took such a defensive stance that you were called out for it, such as "reporting" to mods, is utterly disgraceful. Instead of actually deflecting my post, you attacked me and I responded to that. Now to back off and act like you’re the victim here is just as disgraceful as reporting, you know you are wrong on how you acted but try to brush it off (like always) and completely undermine my points. Ask Halo-GAF if my points were that harsh, I don't think a lot of people would even raise an eyebrow.

Furthermore I had nothing to do with the ODST argument you had with another member, but just because you think you "won" that argument (as you say) doesn't make right about everything else. Keep that in mind every time you throw that in somebody's face.

Let's not waste these pages of fine rational people actually discussing. My PM is open, msg me about this matter if you would like to “discuss” it further and I’ll see if I can muster a response there.

You picking a fight with me now?

Why I oughta!!!

I think Stalker was there... so long ago at this point. Why'd he even bring it up? I certainly can't remember it without seeing the posts again :lol
tumblr_lsgm08Hnxl1qb5ggro1_500.gif

Risen

Yeah, lately MLG has been "using" itself as advertisement for new releases.

I'm thinking that's exactly what this is, and people need to curtail their hype accordingly.

Is there undo hype? lol I'm sure most intelligent folks with a bit of common sense can take it for what it is.

daedalius

If you want news, then stick to the gaming side threads or the HBO front page. You and Viewtiful complain about each other and turn it against other members.

If you're complaining about pages of nothing, then why don't you bring something to the table?

Here, how about this?: Talk about the change in environment and art style of the different parts of Assault on the Control Room.

I mean, we were talking about art a few days ago; and I asked a pertinent question which Frank actually responded to and sparked some discussion.

Sometimes it just seems like the thread moves too fast for much substantive discussion unless everyone is actually talking about the same thing.

But man, AotCR is a good level; the amount of varied environments you get in a Halo game is just something that totally sets it apart from most other FPSs. I mean I recently played Crysis 2, and while it was pretty and cool, it was all in the city. I love the fact you get to see beaches and arctic fortresses in Halo.

new topic (since the last one I posted is already buried): Are there any other FPSs besides Halo that have as well varied environments?

CyReN

Having a big open bracket for a game that nobody has played seems like a logical move...

At least it's back though.

Going to a 2 hour movie after watching a 30 seconds trailer seems smart too, whats your point you get to play a game early on a even level with 99% of the people there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is there undo hype? lol I'm sure most intelligent folks with a bit of common sense can take it for what it is.

I see a lot of people with the mind set of "we're back."

That's what I'm talking about. They seem to think this is indicative of Halo being back on MLG, and from what's been going on lately with new releases, that's doesn't appear to be the case at all to me. It's advertisement, nothing more.

Risen

Having a big open bracket for a game that nobody has played seems like a logical move...

You have a perspective problem there...

That's what I'm talking about. They seem to think this is indicative of Halo being back on MLG, and from what's been going on lately with new releases, that's doesn't appear to be the case at all to me. It's advertisement.

Ahhh thought you were talking about inside this thread specifically... my bad.

CyReN

That's what I'm talking about. They seem to think this is indicative of Halo being back on MLG, and from what's been going on lately with new releases, that's doesn't appear to be the case at all to me. It's advertisement.

I don't think a lot of people see it as "we're back" but something positive in a pretty shitty situation. If anyone tweets we are back they are a moron.

Holiday

Banned

That's what I'm talking about. They seem to think this is indicative of Halo being back on MLG, and from what's been going on lately with new releases, that's doesn't appear to be the case at all to me. It's advertisement, nothing more.

A difference, I think, is that people will actually show up to play a Halo expo. Did anybody show up to play Max Payne?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't think a lot of people see it as "we're back" but something positive in a pretty shitty situation. If anyone tweets we are back they are a moron.

I don't even see it as that, when you realize they have done this exact same thing for games like Max Payne 3, you see it for what it is.

Unfortunately this will get a lot of people's hopes up that Halo IS (it may) coming back to MLG, and this doesn't indicate that at all.

A difference, I think, is that people will actually show up to play a Halo expo. Did anybody show up to play Max Payne?

Yeah, a load of pros did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxaCIIVs4So

Karl2177

But man, AotCR is a good level; the amount of varied environments you get in a Halo game is just something that totally sets it apart from most other FPSs. I mean I recently played Crysis 2, and while it was pretty and cool, it was all in the city. I love the fact you get to see beaches and arctic fortresses in Halo.

new topic (since the last one I posted is already buried): Are there any other FPSs besides Halo that have as well varied environments?

Crysis 1 has some fantastic environments. Personally, I was a huge fan of the city environment in Crysis 2, but it isn't nearly as varied as the first one or Halo. You could argue that Borderlands has some varied environments, but they all lead back to Wastelands at some point.

Honestly my favorite environments is any game are probably ODST, Mirror's Edge, Crysis, Borderlands, Mass Effect, and Halo(in general). When they pull it off right, it can't be beat.

Avinexus

Going to a 2 hour movie after watching a 30 seconds trailer seems smart too, whats your point you get to play a game early on a even level with 99% of the people there.

You have a perspective problem there...

That is to say the gameplay and strategies won't be the high quality you expect from a tournament setting.

But if you want this to see new gameplay and have Halo back at MLG for an event, that's cool too, I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Did anyone play outside of those 16? I didn't watch, so I don't remember if there was an open bracket. If not, then that is a pretty significant advantage for H4.

It wasn't open, it was pros only. But that doesn't inherently mean "advantage" it would mean a bigger turnout potentially, but what that would "mean" in the big picture isn't much.

I will explicitly state that I will be pm'ing you 'TheOddOne', so you cannot pull the card that I 'head for the hills' yet again.

Hey, you, shut the fuck up and PM him instead of shitting up the thread.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Top Tip: Dallas Forth Worth Airport is about as close to Dallas as Cuba is to Louisiana.

It didn't seem that bad when I was in Grapevine (which is next to the airport), that said, Dallas/FW area kind of sucks, and is dirty, and god help you if it's raining, people can't drive for shit.

Arnie

So strange to hear about the size of America in driving terms. I could drive a few hours and be in two different countries, Scotland and Wales.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yo we have to hype this tournament up. I want this shit to sell out.

If I wasn't sure of what it was I would be right there with you, but I doubt this will lead into Halo being back on MLG no matter how well it does.

I'd love to see it back on MLG, but it's going to take a lot more than 1 advertisement tournament to make that happen.

So strange to hear about the size of America in driving terms. I could drive a few hours and be in two different countries, Scotland and Wales.

Just think of it as the United states of Europe and the UK is Europe's Hawaii.

;)

FyreWulff

It's a little depressing knowing I could drive 13 hours and still be in Texas... or drive 13 hours and cross 7 states. Small states... why are you so small?

That's the issue with living in the midwest in Nebraska.. drive so many hours.. congratulations, you went to one other state!

My state is about as big as Britain. It would probably amuse me that I could see an entire country in about the same time as a single state if I ever get to go there.

Every UK/European person I've talked to that finally went to the States at some point all say the same thing.. you don't get how continental the US is until you've driven it.

wqiWY.png

That's with Nebraska aligned so it's biggest city is on top of London.

wwm0nkey

Well we also have pretty awful means of public transportation, its either car, bus or plane. No railways at all in most of the country.

I mean, we were talking about art a few days ago; and I asked a pertinent question which Frank actually responded to and sparked some discussion.

Sometimes it just seems like the thread moves too fast for much substantive discussion unless everyone is actually talking about the same thing.

As much as I hate to say it, COD does. Recall that MW2 had the Arctic, pine forests, (sub)urban settings, and a desert.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If I wasn't sure of what it was I would be right there with you, but I doubt this will lead into Halo being back on MLG no matter how well it does.

I'd love to see it back on MLG, but it's going to take a lot more than 1 advertisement tournament to make that happen.

Oh I'm not getting my hopes up for a full season. I just want it to sell out to create hype and buzz for the game and the competitive community. I just hope none of these nerds think that it will come back later so they skip Dallas because they havent played the game yet.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh I'm not getting my hopes up for a full season. I just want it to sell out to create hype and buzz for the game and the competitive community. I just hope none of these nerds think that it will come back later so they skip Dallas because they havent played the game yet.

That's a very good point, if I had the money I'd be down there in a second, if for no other reason than to let Frank meet me so he can get nerd chills.

That said, if I showed up, people would think I got lost on my way to a Gears tournament. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's a very good point, if I had the money I'd be down there in a second, if for no other reason than to let Frank meet me so he can get nerd chills.

That said, if I showed up, people would think I got lost on my way to a Gears tournament. :p

Frankie's going?

*closes travelocity*

Top Bottom