• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

blamite

Guess it's still Recon for me. Sprint on X might be a bit weird, though, would've preferred it if it would've been on LB instead.
Yeah, for AAs like Thruster or PV Sprint on LB and AA on X would've been perfect. I guess using LB for AAs makes more sense for anything that needs to be held down, like jetpack though. Would've been nice to have an option to swap those buttons though.

I have no idea what all the jubilation over bumper jumper is about in here. Sure, if you're still playing classic Halo it's perfect. But bumper jumper's been broken for anybody who wants to use the jetpack since the Reach beta.

I remember highlighting this problem in Shiska's Reach beta feedback thread on the MLG forums. I remember asking for a modified scheme that kept jump on (LB) but moved melee back to (B) and AA to the (RB). Of course it fell on deaf ears. So I've had to play the entirety on Reach essentially locked out of the jetpack ability. Complete thoughtlessness on behalf of Bungie to let that through. How did they not realise that jetpack was nigh on unusable for BJ users in testing?

So, fast forward two years and what do we have? The exact same BJ scheme from 2007 that was designed for a completely different game, one that didn't feature AA's. Why has there been no progress on this front that takes into account AA's? This is the worst case of Good Enough (tm) I've seen from 343. Worse than no spec mode, no dedi's, no 60 fps. It's worse than all those on account of how easy a modified BJ scheme would be to implement. But no, "We're listening... we hear you loud and clear... trust us". They're quite clearly not listening. Also, weren't there meant to be 'loads' of control schemes this time around? There's seven in that bulletin, one of which is retard COD shit with scope on a trigger (unusable) and another that is for left handed people. So five then really.

If they still persist with not allowing purchasers of their game the ability to map their own inputs, they have to do much, much better than that in the bulletin. Quite frankly it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

Yes salty, yes mad, yes irate, boo.

They should just add an option for all "hold" AAs to be toggle instead. Boom, Bumper Jumper with AAs fixed.

But, since that isn't the case, I'll continue to use Default. Even if I might not use certain AAs very often, I still don't want to be situationally gimped or learn to claw.

I think jump on lb and AA's on rb would be pretty great actually, meleeing is overrated but from the bulletin they said Bj is designed to help melee? Did I read that right?

That blurry pic totally looks like beaver creek to me.

bumper jumper jet pack conundrum

Yeah this definitely a big issue in Reach as jet pack is so OP.
Hopefully in H4 the other abilities are fair alternatives to jet pack.

meleeing is overrated but from the bulletin they said Bj is designed to help melee? Did I read that right?

You most certainly did read that correctly.
I was shocked by it too a bit.. I'd much rather be able to use my AA than melee while aiming.

Overdoziz

Banned
Bumper Jumper looks great to me. Personally I would've switched around AA and Sprint because I'm so used to sprinting with X but I'll take it. I just hope to god you don't have to hold down X to use any of the AAs. From what I heard you had to hold down the button even for the hardlight shield in the E3 build. You'd think that a toggle would make the most sense for an AA like that. I really hope that's changed in the final build because otherwise some AAs will become as worthless as the jetpack in Reach for people who use Bumper Jumper (Although it was still useful for just getting around on certain maps).

TheOddOne

WORK WAYPOINT, FOR GOD SAKE WORK WAYPOINT. I just want to read, why you deny me this learning opportunity?

halo4_fishstick-2.jpg

Is that a Kanye West joke?

6a00d834fd7f7353ef0115700eca45970b-400wi

That BJ/ melee comment is worrying, shows a severe lack of 'getting it', I hope it's just a flippant comment, but it sort of explains why the original BJ was so bad, glad they fixed it. I really hope that philosophy hasn't spread through more of the game.

Can't wait to see the new map, If the blurry pic looks pretty no doubt the real thing will look great.

That BJ/ melee comment is worrying, shows a severe lack of 'getting it', I hope it's just a flippant comment, but it sort of explains why the original BJ was so bad, glad they fixed it. I really hope that philosophy hasn't spread through more of the game.

Can't wait to see the new map, If the blurry pic looks pretty no doubt the real thing will look great.

not sure what you mean. how they described bumper jumper is the reason i switched to it

Myyke

Neo Member
It is a toss up between Default and FishSticks for me I think, has it been clarified anywhere whether the Left Trigger is toggle zoom or hold to zoom?

Will have to see how melee works out for me with it mapped to a stick, I'm so used to it being mapped to RB. Whenever I'm smacking Elzar around with melee's I just get that feel that RB and melee are a perfect match. Having said that though hold to zoom would be pretty cool.......

It is a toss up between Default and FishSticks for me I think, has it been clarified anywhere whether the Left Trigger is toggle zoom or hold to zoom?

Will have to see how melee works out for me with it mapped to a stick, I'm so used to it being mapped to RB. Whenever I'm smacking Elzar around with melee's I just get that feel that RB and melee are a perfect match. Having said that though hold to zoom would be pretty cool.......

I see you spread your disease to DoctorBanjo.

Damn your cheap tactics! Everyone here will agree.

Conor 419

Banned
Looks like

halo4_recon-2.jpg

Will be my control setup of choice, though I'd prefer it if 'x' and 'LB' were swapped.

Can't wait for PAX, I imagine we'll get some good stuff there.

kylej

Banned
Getting excited about a developer making a few non-customizable preset control schemes in 2012. The only one they added is COD's layout.

I feel like this industry is going in reverse.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Glad to see Boxer will still be my main choice for controls, especially with AA being on LB again. I hope this also means that you can turn in sprint without the right analog stick.

And when were they giving away Halo 4 MC Avatar codes? I only thought that they could be bought in the Avatar Marketplace?

TheOddOne

Getting excited about a developer making a few non-customizable preset control schemes in 2012. The only one they added is COD's layout.

Harsh, but at the same time also fair. Understand the sentiment.

Glad to see Boxer will still be my main choice for controls, especially with AA being on LB again. I hope this also means that you can turn in sprint without the right analog stick.

And when were they giving away Halo 4 MC Avatar codes? I only thought that they could be bought in the Avatar Marketplace?
Gave some out during E3, and I think they were giving them out at either SDCC or....the...roosterteeth convention whose name escapes me at the moment.

Looks like

halo4_recon-2.jpg

Will be my control setup of choice, though I'd prefer it if 'x' and 'LB' were swapped.

Grenade switching on the d-pad? Hmm, never thought I'd have to use it in a Halo game.

That's fine, but it's annoying that they mapped sprint to X. I would much much rather have it on LB.

feel

Was catching up from last night and was shaking my head at all the slrp about them unfucking BJ and adding a COD layout. Until you saved it. Embarassing, some of these will be broken anyways (AAs won't work well on BJ certainly), this shit should be fully customizable with a big red warning slapped on it if they really must.

in all honesty though, why isn't there a control scheme with sprint on LB on AA on RB?

:/

EDIT: you could actually do this with recon by just switching X and RB. sigh

CS:GO let's you map your controls. Awesome right? Until your mappings disappear for no reason and you have to reset to default settings.

Just looked the control schemes over and the AA function is on a bumper on ALL of them except bumper jumper. So, 343 clearly recognises that the jetpack AND the hardlight shield are functionally incompatible with a control scheme that doesn't have the AA button on a bumper. They realise it's a problem. Why haven't they devised an alternative BJ scheme that features AA on a bumper then? Maybe they think it gives too much of an advantage to be able to jump and use an AA without taking your thumbs off the joysticks? It has to be one or the other?

"Fine tuning a car engine". Except on this particular engine you can't use the clutch and the gear stick at the same time leaving you in first gear.

I think jump on lb and AA's on rb would be pretty great actually, meleeing is overrated

Yep. It's not called 'bumper beatdowner'. The melee is non-essential to a bumper. The 'jumper' part is. So jump on RB, AA on LB and melee on B right? Nope, takes too much bandwidth, not enough RAM.

wwm0nkey

It feels like we have the fully custom layout talk every week now. Its not going to happen and I am sure 343 and MANY other game developers who do not have custom layouts have their reasons.

Overdoziz

Banned
343, please do these two things for Halo 4 Forge:

1) Get rid of the object limit per category. There's already an overall object limit and a budget limit. Every object has a cost which is based on how taxing it is on the engine, why is there a limit per object category? This seems unnecessary. It's a big hindrance if you want to create a map with a fair size that has a unified theme. Often enough I'm about halfway through creating a map and I run out of objects in a certain category. I used the items in this category to create a consistent look throughout the map which makes it pleasant to look at. All of a sudden I need to start using objects from other categories which will more often than not look completely out of place. You can quickly end up with a map that is half filled with objects that have textures that look like a mess when used in combination with other pieces. If I want to place 10,000 budget (or until I reach the overall object limit) worth of 2x4 block pieces, why can't I? It's a silly limitation which has a big impact on the aesthetics of Forge maps.

2) Let us change the color of entire Forge objects. Only having the ability to change the color a part of an object simply isn't enough. Being able to change the entire object's color would make it much easier to make objects stand out. A secondary color that you could change on specific objects wouldn't hurt either. You could make it a lot more obvious which side of the map is red and which is blue for example. Having an entire room filled with red objects is obvious than one with grey objects with some red tints. It would be ideal if there were both preset colors (for casual Forgers) and a color slider or wheel for people who want to paint their objects in a more specific color. An ability to save a certain amount of colors would be great too and would save a lot of time.

/random post about things in Reach Forge that annoy me.

Dunno if that really is a valid argument, that has to do with more poor implementation or bad save system then anything else.

Such problems could never occur in a Halo game? Some black screen of doom perhaps? Over would say that even if the tiny white text obscures his vision once in the entire game, it's once more than it should happen at all. I think the same should be said for mappable controls.

Hmm, I think I'll stick with Recon but I also think it would be better to have Sprint on LB and Use Armor Ability on X. Sprint is probably going to be used more, right? Are these the only control schemes that will be available in the final game?

Guess it's still Recon for me. Sprint on X might be a bit weird, though, would've preferred it if it would've been on LB instead.

Looks like

halo4_recon-2.jpg

3 shared sentiments in less than 12 hours. Frankie? David? Should we post on Waypoint?

Shadders

Top Bottom