• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TheOddOne

Such problems could never occur in a Halo game? Some black screen of doom perhaps? Over would say that even if the tiny white text obscures his vision once in the entire game, it's once more than it should happen at all. I think the same should be said for mappable controls.
Again, feels like lazy implementation/lack of foresight if the settings get knocked because of the reasons you mentioned. Then again though, I don't know how to program and it might be a problem that is difficult to fix.

DesertFox

Hmmm... Looks like the default control scheme will be a little bit jarring of a transition from previous titles. However, the other control schemes look perfect.

Good news is, I'll have plenty of time to practice bumper jumper in Reach leading up to Halo 4.

Overdoziz

Banned
Such problems could never occur in a Halo game? Some black screen of doom perhaps? Over would say that even if the tiny white text obscures his vision once in the entire game, it's once more than it should happen at all. I think the same should be said for mappable controls.
Pretty sure it only happens if you're using the trial version past the 45 minute mark which wasn't supposed to happen anyway.

Regardless, there could be both button mapping and predefined button layouts.

kylej

Banned
smh at people defending non-customizable control schemes. "resources' and "bandwidth" can eat me. If you're got the resources to make an amateur movie about Master Chief, if you've got the resources to produce a $74.99 "limited edition" vinyl soundtrack, if you've got the resources to release a $350 plastic monitor/briefcase monstrosity, if you've got the resoures to release a $399.99 Halo 4 console, if you've got the resources to get your own Mountain Dew flavor, maybe you can also find the resources to allow control customization in the same way that devs 1/50th your size with a fraction of your "resources" do.

Devs still toss out the same brain dead excuses over and over and people still eat it up. Seriously, GAF? "It might cause graphical glitches" is one and done? Good enough? IF it does cause graphical glitches, fix the graphical glitches. You certainly weren't spending any "resources" on Reach as I was made aware of over and over in bulletins and by 343 employees while the Reach playlists died on the vine.

Just drives me crazy that we're now, what, 6 or 7 Halo games into one of the biggest franchises in gaming and fans are getting pinged left and right for all this superfluous and expensive marketing garbage, meanwhile actual core improvements to the game are dusted off to the side. Amazing.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
smh at people defending non-customizable control schemes. "resources' and "bandwidth" can eat me. If you're got the resources to make an amateur movie about Master Chief, if you've got the resources to produce a $74.99 "limited edition" vinyl soundtrack, if you've got the resources to release a $350 plastic monitor/briefcase monstrosity, if you've got the resoures to release a $399.99 Halo 4 console, if you've got the resources to get your own Mountain Dew flavor, maybe you can also find the resources to allow control customization in the same way that devs 1/50th your size with a fraction of your "resources" do.

Devs still toss out the same brain dead excuses over and over and people still eat it up. Seriously, GAF? "It might cause graphical glitches" is one and done? Good enough? IF it does cause graphical glitches, fix the graphical glitches. You certainly weren't spending any "resources" on Reach as I was made aware of over and over in bulletins and by 343 employees while the Reach playlists died on the vine.

Just drives me crazy that we're now, what, 6 or 7 Halo games into one of the biggest franchises in gaming and fans are getting pinged left and right for all this superfluous and expensive marketing garbage, meanwhile actual core improvements to the game are dusted off to the side. Amazing.

Right on! Put that Mountain Dew guy on the button mapping problem.

kylej

Banned
Oh boy another guy who's desperate to get a SicK oNe Up*~ in an argument by trying to play semantics even though he completely understands the point. Head on back to Waypoint.

Just thinking out loud here: the "BUT HOW WILL WE BUMPER JUMPER AND JETPACK 343?! I AM CRY" problem could be solved if the new Jet Pack is just a Jump Pack (much like how we've seen Promethean Knights do those huge lunge-jump things), because all we'd be doing would be controlling the direction and pressing the button once rather than holding it. Hardlight Shield not only becomes trickier to use (thus making its abuse more manageable) but also doesn't require jumping meaning you'd be free to hold the button.

Smart move, 343.

Reach just likes to completely wipe campaign progress and settings whenever it feels like.

Just thinking out loud here: the "BUT HOW WILL WE BUMPER JUMPER AND JETPACK 343?! I AM CRY" problem could be solved if the new Jet Pack is just a Jump Pack (much like how we've seen Promethean Knights do those huge lunge-jump things), because all we'd be doing would be controlling the direction and pressing the button once rather than holding it. Hardlight Shield not only becomes trickier to use (thus making its abuse more manageable) but also doesn't require jumping meaning you'd be free to hold the button.

Smart move, 343.
I'd hope that's the case, or at least some consideration went into making it work on BJ.

wwm0nkey

I wasn't defending the decision I was just saying that 343 might have their reasons for it. We already know about the animation glitches but there might be more we don't know about.

Also constantly bringing up non-custom layouts causes this topic to go on repeat A LOT and its not like it will change their minds this late into the cycle. I know there isn't too much to talk about right now regarding Halo 4 but I hate coming in here and seeing the same shit every week.

Smart move, 343.

Easy just don't use jetpack :D Its how ive rolled since the start of reach.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Oh boy another guy who's desperate to get a SicK oNe Up*~ in an argument by trying to play semantics even though he completely understands the point. Head on back to Waypoint.

Yeah, I do get the point- don't completely agree with it or understand the venom. This whole entire *cater to me* (a very small minority) bullshit is toxic. Yeah, button mapping would be great, but would it be worth whatever hours of resources to fix all the problems associated with that when other areas that will actually sell games can be polished? Obviously 343 thought not and from what I've seen from the game I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not interested in "heading back to Waypoint"- been looking for a community for a while. Still haven't found one that's favorite pasttime isn't pissing and moaning.

kylej

Banned
but would it be worth whatever hours of resources to fix all the problems associated with that when other areas that will actually sell games can be polished? Obviously 343 thought not and from what I've seen from the game I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Drop the emotional attachment to a company that is an entirely owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation and instead start demanding more for your money.

I'd gander that lack of custom button mapping is more of an accessibility issue than a lack of resources issue.
And I don't mean setting up your controls, because obviously there are ways to make that accessible... such as presets to go along with custom mapping.

For example look at the Gandhi hopping strategy.
It was great to use for strafing, etc. but in order to Gandhi hop effectively, you have to use the bumper jumper control scheme.

A newcomer might join a game, see everybody hoping around and aiming, and have no idea how people do that.

Now obviously Gandhi hopping is just a mild example of how different button layouts can hamper accessibility.
If people could map their own control schemes, the amount of button layout dependent strategies would grow so large.

Accessibility is a huge issue in today's gaming market, and it is a big deal to 343 in Halo 4.

And surely you, kylej, can understand that.
You hate meta game.
Imagine if someone only beat you in a BR fight because they had a better suited button layout than you. :D
One that allowed them to constantly do 180s inbetween firing bursts while jumping and crouching.
Strongsiding and Gandhi jumping AT THE SAME TIME.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Drop the emotional attachment to a company that is an entirely owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation and instead start demanding more for your money.

You know what I want for my money? A game with a healthy population.

I spent a year and a half mostly playing Arena because I wanted/needed a ranked playlist (hopefully admitting that doesn't ruin any cred I have). I could deal with the flaws, jetpacks, that it wasn't truly a "competitive" gold-standard because the ranked garbage was what I wanted. But what drove me bananas was waiting 30 minutes for a match.

So yeah, button mapping? Great. Bare-bones gameplay? Awesome. I love "competitive" so I'd gladly accept any of these changes. But I get what 343 is trying to do. Put people back in the seats. And I realize that changing the things I (and you) nit-pick over won't do that.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'd gander that lack of custom button mapping is more of an accessibility issue than a lack of resources issue.
And I don't mean setting up your controls, because obviously there are ways to make that accessible... such as presets to go along with custom mapping.

It was great to use for strafing, etc. but in order to Gandhi hop effectively, you have to use the bumper jumper control scheme.

A newcomer might join a game, see everybody hoping around and aiming, and have no idea how people do that.

Now obviously Gandhi hopping is just a mild example of how different button layouts can hamper accessibility.
If people could map their own control schemes, the amount of button layout dependent strategies would grow so large.

Accessibility is a huge issue in today's gaming market, and it is a big deal to 343 in Halo 4.

And surely you, kylej, can understand that.
You hate meta game.
Imagine if someone only beat you in a BR fight because they had a better suited button layout than you. :D
One that allowed them to constantly do 180s inbetween firing bursts while jumping and crouching.
Strongsiding and Gandhi jumping AT THE SAME TIME.
Of all the reasons for there to be no button mapping this has to be the worst.

wwm0nkey

I just think its pointless to even talk about it right now. The game will go gold here in a week or two, it will not get custom mapping.

Now it would be more effective to bring this up when Halo 5 starts development but its utterly pointless right now.

Arnie

Bumper Jumper looks pretty perfect to me, so I'm less bothered about no custom mapping as a result, I don't know what I'd really change about that layout, perhaps I'd swap sprint and AA, but those are two wholly meaningless nitpicks.

New map looks, well, green. I'd like some nice details from the folks visiting PAX.

Also constantly bringing up non-custom layouts causes this topic to go on repeat A LOT and its not like it will change their minds this late into the cycle. I know there isn't too much to talk about right now regarding Halo 4 but I hate coming in here and seeing the same shit every week.

The full suite of control schemes for the multi-million dollar video game Halo 4 have just been released to the public, in the last 12 hours. It is completely topical and relevant for current discussion. Also, many aren't questioning why we can't map jump to the start button and shoot to R3, merely that we'd like to see sensible schemes that were designed with the actual gameplay in mind. And more choice is always good. 7 schemes? People were saying at E3 that there'd be 'loads'.

Easy just don't use jetpack :D Its how ive rolled since the start of reach.

Same goes for the thousands upon thousands who use BJ. Locked out of vital parts of the AA sandbox.

Now it would be more effective to bring this up when Halo 5 starts development but its utterly pointless right now.

Lol. As if people haven't been asking for a AA-aware bumper jumper since mid 2010.

wwm0nkey

The full suite of control schemes for the multi-million dollar video game Halo 4 have just been released to the public, in the last 12 hours. It is completely topical and relevant for current discussion. Also, many aren't questioning why we can't map jump to the start button and shoot to R3, merely that we'd like to see sensible schemes that were designed with the actual gameplay in mind. And more choice is always good. 7 schemes? People were saying at E3 that there'd be 'loads'.

I guess but we have been going over custom layouts since CS:Go it seems.

Of all the reasons for there to be no button mapping this has to be the worst.

Meh, as the game gains depth it becomes a bigger issue.

But yeah, Mountain Dew and gaming briefcases are probably more likely the cause.

P.S. I'm not saying I agree with that reasoning, I'm just suggesting maybe that it is the reason

It's going to be one of those days on Gaf, isn't it?

Well I'm down!

The sun will come out, tomorrow.
PAX news.

Tawpgun

I obviously don't know how Halo was developed... But I seriously don't think custom button mapping is any difficult. Its literally just assigning actions to inputs. I could have done something like that in my freshman programming class. Just need to code that, build some UI elements and implement it.

Graphical button glitches? Not sure how much I buy this. Honestly, the reason it probably hasn't happened is because not enough people are demanding it and in the grand scheme of things its not important. Might be an ease of use also. They could have an OPTION for custom mapping, but once they have all those control schemes adding a custom one didn't seem like an important thing.

kylej

Banned
I guess but we have been going over custom layouts since CS:Go it seems.

Who's the guy holding the gun to your head and telling you to read this thread? If you've got his cell I'll try giving him a call and see if you can get a break from it.

Conor 419

Banned

Right on.

Though it's worth noting that making money is at the end of the day, the top priority. As with any company.

wwm0nkey

I obviously don't know how Halo was developed... But I seriously don't think custom button mapping is any difficult. Its literally just assigning actions to inputs. I could have done something like that in my freshman programming class. Just need to code that, build some UI elements and implement it.

Graphical button glitches? Not sure how much I buy this. Honestly, the reason it probably hasn't happened is because not enough people are demanding it and in the grand scheme of things its not important. Might be an ease of use also. They could have an OPTION for custom mapping, but once they have all those control schemes adding a custom one didn't seem like an important thing.

The reason we have gotten from them so far is that they would have to test out every single possible combo to make sure it wouldn't cause animation glitches (BxR, YY, ect). This is an assumption but maybe making sure the animations worked for every possible combo was just a bit much.

(Again this is an assumption)

Who's the guy holding the gun to your head and telling you to read this thread? If you've got his cell I'll try giving him a call and see if you can get a break from it.
I just keep on checking in for lore talk to be honest with you, but there is even less of that to talk about unless you want to go full on crazy speculation talk lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The reason we have gotten from them so far is that they would have to test out every single possible combo to make sure it wouldn't cause animation glitches (BxR, YY, ect). This is an assumption but maybe making sure the animations worked for every possible combo was just a bit much.

its not an assumption, its what weve been told by 343.

343, please do these two things for Halo 4 Forge:

1) Get rid of the object limit per category. There's already an overall object limit and a budget limit. Every object has a cost which is based on how taxing it is on the engine, why is there a limit per object category? This seems unnecessary. It's a big hindrance if you want to create a map with a fair size that has a unified theme. Often enough I'm about halfway through creating a map and I run out of objects in a certain category. I used the items in this category to create a consistent look throughout the map which makes it pleasant to look at. All of a sudden I need to start using objects from other categories which will more often than not look completely out of place. You can quickly end up with a map that is half filled with objects that have textures that look like a mess when used in combination with other pieces. If I want to place 10,000 budget (or until I reach the overall object limit) worth of 2x4 block pieces, why can't I? It's a silly limitation which has a big impact on the aesthetics of Forge maps.

2) Let us change the color of entire Forge objects. Only having the ability to change the color a part of an object simply isn't enough. Being able to change the entire object's color would make it much easier to make objects stand out. A secondary color that you could change on specific objects wouldn't hurt either. You could make it a lot more obvious which side of the map is red and which is blue for example. Having an entire room filled with red objects is obvious than one with grey objects with some red tints. It would be ideal if there were both preset colors (for casual Forgers) and a color slider or wheel for people who want to paint their objects in a more specific color. An ability to save a certain amount of colors would be great too and would save a lot of time.

/random post about things in Reach Forge that annoy me.
I like this forge-centric Overdoziz. I'm right there with you; since we're just sticking with lego blocks for the foreseeable future, it would be much better to change their overall color than sticking with more fucking prison grey with a dash of red - no, orange - or is that green?

-------------------------------------------------------------

As for the controller layouts, I guess I'll be trying out either Bumper Jumper or Recon. I really didn't care for the default layout at all when I played at RTX. Hell, I might even try out the fishsticks, since I ended up liking the Crysis setup.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

I just keep on checking in for lore talk to be honest with you, but there is even less of that to talk about unless you want to go full on crazy speculation talk lol

I'd also guess they'd be much more disruptive to patch on a console as well.

tonitoni

The reason we have gotten so far is that they would have to test out every single possible combo to make sure it wouldn't cause animation glitches (BxR, YY, ect). This is an assumption but maybe making sure the animations worked for every possible combo was just a bit much.
I don't understand this. By having customizable controls, where buttons would be assigned to actions, wouldn't it be easier to test all those glitches and bugs, as only different action combos need testing, making it as simple as testing a single control scheme?

wwm0nkey

its not an assumption, its what weve been told by 343.

I know, I was just assuming maybe the work was a bit too much for them on top of everything else they had to do.

I don't understand this. By having customizable controls, where buttons would be assigned to actions, wouldn't it be easier to test all those glitches and bugs, as only different action combos need testing, making it as simple as testing a single control scheme?

I do not know, I have no idea how their animation system works with button inputs or anything.

heckfu

Banned

FWIW, Frankie said it would take literally years to test all the button combinations effectively.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FWIW, Frankie said it would take literally years to test all the button combinations effectively.

hopefully they have recently started doing this for halo 5 so we dont go through this again in 2-3 years ;)

343i should throw a controller build template on their website where everyone chooses their ideal scheme and submits it into a poll. The top ~10 permutations could be added to the existing setups.

Yeah...You do realize Gandhi hopping came about in H2 right? Pretty sure the lack of bumper jumper didn't stop me or anyone else from using it just fine. Dumbest argument I've ever seen.

Which, as I an others have said every time this comes up, is a total crock. The glitches are caused by the INPUTS used, not by the buttons used to make said inputs. The same glitch will occur whether you map shooting to the trigger or the DPad.

Love Frankie and 343 and whatnot, but

parvT.gif

willow ve

Well looks like I'll be using "default" controls in 4 as it's the only choice that has crouch on B (important for tactical routes and jumps) and grenades on left trigger (don't think I could ever switch away from that... although I do fine in COD and BF3)...

343i should throw a controller build template on their website where everyone chooses their ideal scheme and submits it into a poll. The top ~10 permutations could be added to the existing setups.

The problem with this is that Waypoint would probably crash a few times and skew/lose the data.

Look out everyone, a video game pro! Great at Halo, COD, and BF3 and uses...tactical routes?

Sorry I don't conform the asshole code of video gaming?

kylej

Banned
Someone at 343 should call up IBM. Maybe you guys can start leasing computational space on Deep Blue to solve the customizable control issue.

That or send an email to some of the XBLA teams that have figured it out already.

heckfu

Banned
Well looks like I'll be using "default" controls in 4 as it's the only choice that has crouch on B (important for tactical routes and jumps) and grenades on left trigger (don't think I could ever switch away from that... although I do fine in COD and BF3)...

Look out everyone, a video game pro! Great at Halo, COD, and BF3 and uses...tactical routes?

Akai__

I highly doubt it would take a year to find those glitches, that could happen, if we would have button mapping. And like Tawpgun said, it's something very easy to implement.

You know, if there were button glitches, we could easily report them and they could patch it. Probably not a big deal. They could also have a bigger internal Beta, with more participants, from all over the world to find those glitches and other bugs.

KyleJ has some really good points, but there is one thong, which is wrong. They are not using the same pot of money, for Halo 4's game development and for the FUD, for example, IIRC.

Don't know how big the budgets are, but if you would combine them, imagine, what could have been done.

Don't understand me wrong, I like everything, what I've heared so far from Halo 4. I'm not complaining, I'm just making suggestions. I don't even know, how game devolepment and all those things behind it work, so if things are impossible, you have my understanding.

Vire

Since it's pretty obvious that they are showing off CTF, I'm expecting the new map to be a semi-symmetrical canyon similar to Blood Gultch. Maybe it'll be a spiritual successor similar to Avalanche/Sidewinder since I don't see a base in the filter photo.

As for the control schemes I wish Recon had X (Sprint) and LB (AA) switched, but it'll do I guess.

Top Bottom