• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Tashi has convinced me to actually post now and again and not just be a pervy lurker :)

Please be reasonably kind... I get enough verbal abuse (poorly-executed, mind you) from the bald Scottish man sitting across from me. Who knew such horrors could come from the mouth of someone with the gentle name of Francis?

Are we going to see some of you folks tomorrow night?

Welcome to Juniorhood, from which there is no escape!

One of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us!

Oh yea and welcome to HaloGAF and all that.

While the layout of it seems fine, the problem is that above all maps it encourages the use of the jetpack and armor lock more then ever. Every match I have also played boils down to people camping in the showers.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone camp the showers. It's basically the easiest place to flush people out from with grenades.

Also, I'd say that Uncaged encourages jetpack use more than any other map.

I've played a lot of Powerhouse, and I've never seen anyone try to camp the shower area, it's a grenade death trap. Jetpackers are usually easy to take down as well unless it's a great team.
nice

Striker

Still don't get why people like Powerhouse. What a godawful map.
It would've been a very nice objective map if they redesigned the Powerhouse building. I'm still not sure why they did not in the first place. It's not as if the building held any sort of importance for switches, AI, and so forth in the campaign. King of the Hill was fairly fun in the beta on it, but again, they opted for Stockpile and Headhunter. One of the absolute many examples of Bungie log-jamming gametypes in any map they please (hello Ghost Town).

It's one of the best ones we've gotten in the Reach-Halo 3 era, although I still feel that's something that's been incredibly underwhelming. So many turds, too many, really.

Then there's people who seemingly adore Isolation and Snowbound, so alas.

TheOddOne

I've played a lot of Powerhouse, and I've never seen anyone try to camp the shower area, it's a grenade death trap. Jetpackers are usually easy to take down as well unless it's a great team.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone camp the showers. It's basically the easiest place to flush people out from with grenades.

Also, I'd say that Uncaged encourages jetpack use more than any other map.
I seem to attract a lot of crazies during my matches then :p

Every goddamn time, camping with the grenade launcher and/or hammer.

Uncaged encourages jetpacking the most but countdown has the most annoying spots for jetpackers.
I think they should have put a hard kill zone on top of that little area at the top of the map, but aside from that I don't know where else is only accessible by jetpack. You can jump to the roof of the building that houses the hammer

AA's break map flow, Countdown and to a lesser degree Uncaged would of been fine maps if AA's did not exist now they are just a clusterfuck of abuse.

Uncaged would still be shit. Countdown would be okay but it's still one of those maps where you can just troll people by staying up top. A lot of the maps in Reach don't really offer proper alternatives to flanking or easy ways to nade the top from the bottom so you can reclaim territory.

I think they should have put a hard kill zone on top of that little area at the top of the map, but aside from that I don't know where else is only accessible by jetpack. You can jump to the roof of the building that houses the hammer

Light poles outside. Dealt with it during a KotH game. Still managed to win though.

So who's ready for Pax Prime?

tG56J.jpg

That is going to be one long line. Perhaps worse than E3.

AA's break map flow, Countdown and to a lesser degree Uncaged would of been fine maps if AA's did not exist now they are just a clusterfuck of abuse.
Nothing could salvage Uncaged. Nothing. I would rather play an hour-long match on Backwash with 15 other camouflaged players than ever touch that map again.

Nothing could salvage Uncaged. Nothing. I would rather play an hour-long match on Backwash with 15 other camouflaged players than ever touch that map again.

Uncaged and Sword Base are my least favorites. Nothing can help those maps out. I feel like too many enclosed spaces and too much restricted movement (like the bridges on uncaged) are fucking disastrous to this game. The reason Lockout is better than Uncaged because you have a couple ways to move and ways to nade people camping the upper levels. And you have well conceived jumps that make for several ways to get up and over the map.

Striker

Countdown yea, Uncaged not so much but it would be much more playable if the gameplay was akin to H2/H3.
If you want small areas of the maps where majority of the battles took place and lots of lifts, go play Construct. Same grenade spam, same type of map where Swords sit by a lift.

I don't code games so I can only speculate, and I also don't give a damn about customizable controls, but I don't think the give reason is accurate. Whether it was just told to us as a reason, or a developer told it as an excuse or something else, I don't buy it. Surely they are already only sending inputs over and not the actual button.
^^^
That's the issue that those of us who aren't fresh into their programming education/careers keep having a problem with. You can BS the masses or BS beginners, but those of us with experience can't see how the excuse makes logical sense...

There are actually quite a few coders in HaloGAF. Me, thezerofire, Karl, Zeoterlimits, Der Flatulator, Tashi, Bobs, Fyrewulff, Hydranockz, and Louis Wu are the ones I remember.

junior coder here

4Cdw2.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The line will move faster than E3 at least, since they don't have to take them into the theater and show off campaign/brief them in MP.
if you think about it practically the theater is part of the line chronologically and has very little effect on overall duration.

The ones right above the lift outisde, I don't think those are jump-able at least not from what I've seen.
I missed the Countdown in your original post, and it took me the longest time to try to figure out where the lift was on Powerhouse. I agree, those spots are really annoying

if you think about it practically the theater is part of the line chronologically and has very little effect on overall duration.
If I remember correctly you guys were bringing people into the theater as you were moving the people that were already in the theater into the next room to actually play the game. If the timing was perfect that would be a great system. But I distinctly remember some pretty long gaps between people coming out of the game room, and more people being moved into the theater.

But then again, it could've just felt long because I wanted to play the game again so badly. Who knows.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tashi has convinced me to actually post now and again and not just be a pervy lurker :)

Please be reasonably kind... I get enough verbal abuse (poorly-executed, mind you) from the bald Scottish man sitting across from me. Who knew such horrors could come from the mouth of someone with the gentle name of Francis?

Are we going to see some of you folks tomorrow night?

This is the worst batch of Juniors in history.

Uncaged and Sword Base are my least favorites. Nothing can help those maps out. I feel like too many enclosed spaces and too much restricted movement (like the bridges on uncaged) are fucking disastrous to this game. The reason Lockout is better than Uncaged because you have a couple ways to move and ways to nade people camping the upper levels. And you have well conceived jumps that make for several ways to get up and over the map.
Well said. When it was revealed that The Cage design was from a rough draft of Lockout, I was kind of baffled as to why it was revisited at all. Lockout is an exception to the rule of narrow walkways leading to platforms being bad map design. Long narrow anything is bad map design, as Sword Base proves so wonderfully.

Believe or not I've played this before, with 12 people, PP starts.
Was this on LAN? I tried it way back with 3 other people over xbl, and the second someone grabbed camo the entire map turned into a slideshow.

Halo 3 map tier list

Halo 2 tier:
Valhalla
Valhalla
The Pit
Guardian

Good tier:
Avalanche
Ghost Town
High Ground
Narrows

Ok, whatever tier:
Sandtrap
Last Resort
Heretic
Construct

WTF DID THEY DO TO LOCKOUT!? tier:
Blackout :(

Halo Reach tier:
Isolation
Epitaph
Snowbound
Isolation

Isolation is so bad, it's on the list twice. Vice versa for Valhalla, that glorious BTB map that I could play forever.

Should have been solely btb, will never understand putting 4v4 games on this map. They did that shit with Hemorrhage too, why?

I still wake-up in cold sweats from time to time, visions of 4v4 SMG starts on Coagulation in ranked TS running through my head. Get a lead, hide in the base with rockets/shotgun for 10 minutes.

Sometimes I wonder who is running these playlists

LD2k

Neo Member
My boss will be at PAX working it like it's hot - I'm back at the offices working and cutting video content. Have fun for those who are attending.

Top Bottom