• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Striker

I have played Heretic. And I have played Guardian. And Guardian is better than Heretic.
... No, not even close.

Guardian was plagued by awful OS/weapon setup. Red got first grabs at OS, Carbine, Sniper, and had easy access to Hammer as well. You only had to send one guy to attack Brute Shot-Camo side to take him out, and bam, you're set up. If you did strict MM settings, the map was a pure turtle fest.

Heretic and Assembly run together in my mind as "purple not-Midship", I forgot that it was, ya know, actually Midship.

I remember REALLY liking Zanzibar and being pretty disappointed with the remake, although I don't remember entirely why.

... No, not even close.

Guardian was plagued by awful OS/weapon setup. Red got first grabs at OS, Carbine, Sniper, and had easy access to Hammer as well. You only had to send one guy to attack Brute Shot-Camo side to take him out, and bam, you're set up. If you did strict MM settings, the map was a pure turtle fest.

B-but....my Hammer =(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Heretic and Assembly run together in my mind as "purple not-Midship", I forgot that it was, ya know, actually Midship

Assembly was pretty bland, gameplay wise. It's fun, sure, not a touch on some other maps. Awesome skybox too, easily one of the most impressive in the series (and, shocker, no frame-rate issues on that map!).

halo_3_assembly_map_3_small.jpg

42597_H3_MP_Assembly_3p-04_normal.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 3 map tier list

Halo 2 tier:
Valhalla
Valhalla
The Pit
Guardian

Good tier:
Avalanche
Ghost Town
High Ground
Narrows

Ok, whatever tier:
Sandtrap
Last Resort
Heretic
Construct

WTF DID THEY DO TO LOCKOUT!? tier:
Blackout :(

Halo Reach tier:
Isolation
Epitaph
Snowbound
Isolation

Isolation is so bad, it's on the list twice. Vice versa for Valhalla, that glorious BTB map that I could play forever.

Valhalla is H2 tier? Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Valhalla is shit Reach map tier.Ii'd rather play Boneyard or whatever it's called. Spire over Valhalla. The only reason I won't argue against Guardian being there is because Backwash exists... And, Backwash is worse than Guardian. Narrows sucks. Same with Construct and Last Resort.

Last Resort is an abomination. A worse remake than Lockout to Blackout. Blackout had a few screwed up jumps and a nasty looking visual design change, but Last Resort was a complete hackjob.

Heretic and Assembly run together in my mind as "purple not-Midship", I forgot that it was, ya know, actually Midship.

I remember REALLY liking Zanzibar and being pretty disappointed with the remake, although I don't remember entirely why.

Oh yeah I was thinking of, fuck what was it. Either way Heretic and Guardian are both balls to me. Guardian is another map in which there is too much enclosure and not enough flanking possibilities except for one room.

nillapuddin

Halo 2 = 12 + 11 DLC = 23 Maps
Halo 3 = 11 + 13 DLC = 24 Maps
Reach = 9 + FW + 11 DLC = 20 Maps + FW

Halo 4 = 10 + FW + 9 DLC = 19 Maps + FW*

The (slightly) reduced map count potentially means two things

1. more time, polish, testing, love on each map
2. the bad maps will be accentuated even more

* granted, there are 3 forge environments this time, but at launch there will not be forge maps in MM

p.s.
Im not complaining, I was just workin the numbers in my head anyways

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

The reduced map count potentially means two things

* granted, there are 3 forge environments this time, but at launch there will not be forge maps in MM

We're also getting Spartan Ops Season 2 and maybe Season 3. Overall more content, but less multiplayer maps.

Fuchsdh

p.s.

I'm really happy there are no Forge maps to start, but I'm also looking forward to them. Let Forgers get acclimated to the sandbox and implications first. The later Reach maps are as a whole much better in terms of play and look.

I think I like Halo 3 maps more then I dislike them, but it's been forever since I played, and as you can see I already forgot about Midship.

I was gonna ask everybody's favorite map, but I'm afraid it was gonna be a dozen people saying Lockout.

For some reason I'm leaning Ivory Tower...that's unexpected

JackHerer

p.s.

We could potentially get more than 3 map packs, right?

I think I like Halo 3 maps more then I dislike them, but it's been forever since I played, and as you can see I already forgot about Midship.

I was gonna ask everybody's favorite map, but I'm afraid it was gonna be a dozen people saying Lockout.

Epitaph,Guardian and High Ground for TDM and Sandtrap/Valhalla for BTB

nillapuddin

I'm really happy there are no Forge maps to start, but I'm also looking forward to them. Let Forgers get acclimated to the sandbox and implications first. The later Reach maps are as a whole much better in terms of play and look.

this aswell, as a big time forger seeing my maps from a month after launch, then rebuilt a year later, the difference was astronomical

the lights and framerate issues aside (which they can never be put aside) forge has so much to offer, it took some time to really get some polish on this gray grey world weve been living in

We could potentially get more than 3 map packs, right?

unlikely in my opinion, after the unbelievable success of Spartan Ops Season 1 (crosses fingers)

there will need to be some time to get season 2 rolling, I dont feel like guessing at the release schedule but I doubt (SpOps & MP DLC) will ever be happening simultaneously

JackHerer

unlikely in my opinion, after the unbelievable success of Spartan Ops Season 1 (crosses fingers)

there will need to be some time to get season 2 rolling, I dont feel like guessing at the release schedule but I doubt (SpOps & MP DLC) will ever be happening simultaneously

There's always Certain Affinity to develop map packs. They may already be contracted to make some of the DLC judging from Reach.

Ivory Tower is shit compared to best maps.

Best halo 2 maps:
Midship
Lockout
Beaver Creek
Headlong
Sanctuary
Terminal
Turf
Warlock

Decent maps:
Ascension
Burial Mounds
Containment
Elongation
Gemini
Ivory Tower
Relic

Meh maps:
Foundation
Desolation
Tombstone
Waterworks
Zanzibar

Shit maps:
Backwash
Coagulation
Colossus

Some people will disagree with certain Mehs/Decent but that's how I mostly feel. Also just making this list I realized how many maps there are that are still above the bar set by H3 and Reach. So sad.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ivory Tower is shit compared to best maps.

Best halo 2 maps:
Midship
Lockout
Beaver Creek
Headlong
Sanctuary
Terminal
Turf
Warlock
Beaver Creek is the best map in 3 out of 4 Halo MP games. It's still my favorite, although the Pit is a close second. Or maybe Midship is second. I dunno.

Yup. Figured I'd get some of the Junior hazing underway while some of you are here in Seattle... you know, just in case I needed to physically retaliate.
Glad you're here!

Top Bottom