• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Alright, who is picking me up some swag from PAX?!

Lol I already told the HaloGAF Radio crew to pick me stuff up. I will gladly cover shipping costs and then some. That goes for everyone. I love swag but I can never get to the events to pick them up in person :lol

:(

Man BTB is kind of messed up now. I really wish it required Anniversary or that Anniversary BTB wasn't retired. :(

But don't you wanna play gems such a Rasu, Wayont and Asphalt. Over and over again?

First they take away my premium battle, and then my Anni BTB.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh the sausage fest is over. Still a sandwich though >_>.
Hahaha

Man BTB is kind of messed up now. I really wish it required Anniversary or that Anniversary BTB wasn't retired. :(
Reach BTB is a lost cause. 343 (and Certain Affinity?) gave it a much needed boost with the Anni maps, but it's still largely a turd. Reach vehicle health and banshee abuse alone make BTB miserable.

Caja 117

Halo 2 = 12 + 11 DLC = 23 Maps
Halo 3 = 11 + 13 DLC = 24 Maps
Reach = 9 + FW + 11 DLC = 20 Maps + FW

Halo 4 = 10 + FW + 9 DLC = 19 Maps + FW*

The (slightly) reduced map count potentially means two things

1. more time, polish, testing, love on each map
2. the bad maps will be accentuated even more

* granted, there are 3 forge environments this time, but at launch there will not be forge maps in MM

p.s.
Im not complaining, I was just workin the numbers in my head anyways

Consider that Halo 3 and Halo 2 were more popular than Reach in MM after months of release, Halo 3 had 5 DLC packs and Halo 2 had 4 map packs, whereas Reach only had 3, Halo 4 right now have 3 packs that we know of, but If the game maintains its popularity after the 3rd DLC, is almost a given you will see more Maps.

lilty

Reach BTB is a lost cause. 343 (and Certain Affinity?) gave it a much needed boost with the Anni maps, but it's still largely a turd. Reach vehicle health and banshee abuse alone make BTB miserable.

I never really played a lot of BTB, but it was a good playlist to go into when I was getting frustrated with the other playlists. Not that Timberland and Headlong are gone, I don't really know what to do with myself.

Sorry about not joining yesterday, had to run some errands.

Risen

Beaver Creek is the best map in 3 out of 4 Halo MP games. It's still my favorite, although the Pit is a close second. Or maybe Midship is second. I dunno.

Why do people have a love for maps with unbalanced initial spawns? You will see people absolutely adore Beaver Creek - and yet one side always always always had a significantly better initial spawn.

I'm not saying it's a bad map, but if I were ranking the best maps in Halo, I don't think I'd ever start with maps that have unbalanced initial spawns.

Yes and it's tragic.

They took it out in the last update, along with Action Sack, and Anni FFA, and I think there was one other.

Headlong was the only good BTB to be had. Disappointment all around.

Why do people have a love for maps with unbalanced initial spawns? You will see people absolutely adore Beaver Creek - and yet once side always always always had a significantly better initial spawn.

I'm not saying it's a bad map, but if I were ranking the best maps in Halo, I don't think I'd ever start with maps that have unbalanced initial spawns.

So many maps have this problem. Blue spawn just blows on a bunch of them.

Very true, but there are/could be fun combinations even in reach, if they ever thought it through...and made it DLC only.

JHall

Meh maps:
Foundation
Desolation
Tombstone
Waterworks
Zanzibar

I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish. But, Waterworks was one of the best BTB maps of all time. What other map could you shoot a stalactite and have it kill your enemies?!

I'm just messing, that's my opinion

feel

Yup. Figured I'd get some of the Junior hazing underway while some of you are here in Seattle... you know, just in case I needed to physically retaliate.
Welcome.

I personally think you have done a very bad job on Halo 4 so far. I'll be walking around PAX with a shirt that says ".map", in case you want me to elaborate more on that in person.

JackHerer

Anniversary BTB maps (specifically Timberlands and Headlong) are much better than anything in the current BTB playlist.

I played about 10 games of BTB yesterday and at least half of them were on Hemorrhage which, IMO, is a terrible map.

Anniversary BTB maps are much better than anything in the current BTB playlist.

I played about 10 games of BTB yesterday and at least half of them where on Hemorrhage which, IMO, is a terrible map.

It is not in your opinion, it's a fact. Hemorrhage=bad map
IMO, Hemorrhage makes Sword Base look brilliant.

IHaveIce

Banned
Welcome.

I personally think you have done a very bad job on Halo 4 so far. I'll be walking around PAX with a shirt that says ".map", in case you want me to elaborate more on that in person.

u meanie.

Welcome.

Jealous of you PAX goers, hope we don't have to wait too long for the footage .. not SDCC again :/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry about not joining yesterday, had to run some errands.
No problem.

Why do people have a love for maps with unbalanced initial spawns? You will see people absolutely adore Beaver Creek - and yet one side always always always had a significantly better initial spawn.

Yeah, that's a good point, actually. I've never particularly cared about that, but it definitely is a design flaw, and makes a big difference in competitive play.

Very true, but there are/could be fun combinations even in reach, if they ever thought it through...and made it DLC only.
Yeah, it's only miserable when compared to the glory days of BTB in Halo 2 and 3. There's some fun to be had with it, for sure.

Alright, who is picking me up some swag from PAX?!
I would like in on the swag benefits from PAX too. I'll offer to pay for shipping and handling.

Before PAX begins tomorrow, and I know I've said this before but I'd like to say so again, I hope everyone has a lot of fun. Have extra fun for me! :)

Yeah just like how Bungie patched BXR and YY in Halo 2.......

Pretty sure Bungie patched a bxr-esque glitch out of Halo 3. Fyrewulf?

Exactly. Doesn't matter if there are only 5 playlists. The competitive/hardcore one will still have a small population because the casuals will view it as the playlist to go into if you want to get crapped on.

If trueskill was tight enough, this shouldn't be a problem.

Yup. Figured I'd get some of the Junior hazing underway while some of you are here in Seattle... you know, just in case I needed to physically retaliate.

rnXyS.gif

:p
Welcome.

Eh I'm not big on Timberlands. The bases are awful. Just holes in the wall. No way to flank. No warp in. No lift in. If you have a base like that make it more like Avalanche's bases.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I have no idea what all the jubilation over bumper jumper is about in here. Sure, if you're still playing classic Halo it's perfect. But bumper jumper's been broken for anybody who wants to use the jetpack since the Reach beta.

I remember highlighting this problem in Shiska's Reach beta feedback thread on the MLG forums. I remember asking for a modified scheme that kept jump on (LB) but moved melee back to (B) and AA to the (RB). Of course it fell on deaf ears. So I've had to play the entirety on Reach essentially locked out of the jetpack ability. Complete thoughtlessness on behalf of Bungie to let that through. How did they not realise that jetpack was nigh on unusable for BJ users in testing?

So, fast forward two years and what do we have? The exact same BJ scheme from 2007 that was designed for a completely different game, one that didn't feature AA's. Why has there been no progress on this front that takes into account AA's? This is the worst case of Good Enough (tm) I've seen from 343. Worse than no spec mode, no dedi's, no 60 fps. It's worse than all those on account of how easy a modified BJ scheme would be to implement. But no, "We're listening... we hear you loud and clear... trust us". They're quite clearly not listening. Also, weren't there meant to be 'loads' of control schemes this time around? There's seven in that bulletin, one of which is retard COD shit with scope on a trigger (unusable) and another that is for left handed people. So five then really.

If they still persist with not allowing purchasers of their game the ability to map their own inputs, they have to do much, much better than that in the bulletin. Quite frankly it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

Yes salty, yes mad, yes irate, boo.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily worse but seeing that yes this is what people will be playing on the control schemes do very much seem awful.

Also because I too cannot get over what I'll likely be playing for the rest of 360's duration, I'm gonna requote myself:
Ideally:

Bumper Jumper: Swap AA (X) and Reload (B)

Default: Swap Sprint(L3) and Crouch(B) and it will be pitch perfect, imo.

Overdoziz

Banned

A symmetrical Beaver Creek with roomier bases would be a thing that I would like.

If trueskill was tight enough, this shouldn't be a problem.

This sounds somewhat circular to me. How do we get Trueskill to take proper effect? Get it a large population to work with. How do we get a large population? Get Trueskill to take effect so above average players like me don't get constantly shit on by stellar players like you and most of HaloGaf. And so on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This sounds somewhat circular to me. How do we get Trueskill to take proper effect? Get it a large population to work with. How do we get a large population? Get Trueskill to take effect so above average players like me don't get constantly shit on by stellar players like you and most of HaloGaf.
By visually communicating a persons status so that people will be concerned over appearances by said status which would appear next to their name, this ensures that people who care for these things will at all times perform to the best of their abilities.

Basically, bring back ranks and people will invest into that number next to their names.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I feel like the different spawns issue in Beaver Creek was magnified in Reach. I don't remember it being as big a problem in H2 or even H1. (Don't remember how it was at all in H1 actually) I don't remember people fighting over which color they wanted to be back then. With that said, top 5 map for me for sure.

JackHerer

Eh I'm not big on Timberlands. The bases are awful. Just holes in the wall. No way to flank. No warp in. No lift in. If you have a base like that make it more like Avalanche's bases.

It's really not too advantageous to camp in the actual base though IME. Fighting a team that camps around them though can be quite annoying. I generally just wait for Rockets/Sniper to spawn if they are resorting to this tactic. I do get bored of the map sometimes because the sniper is a bit overpowered/dominating on it which can make it unpleasant when you don't have one. Not as bad on the Ridgeline version because there is only 1 Snipe in each base vs 2 on Timberlands and there is more cover with the Rocket bunkers.

Overall I like the map, way better than Hemorrhage (and its many bad variants in MM) at least lol.

I feel like the different spawns issue in Beaver Creek was magnified in Reach. I don't remember it being as big a problem in H2 or even H1. (Don't remember how it was at all in H1 actually) I don't remember people fighting over which color they wanted to be back then. With that said, top 5 map for me for sure.
It was a big deal in H2 MLG remember?

Pretty sure Bungie patched a bxr-esque glitch out of Halo 3. Fyrewulf?.

No I think they only patched it once early on when beatdowns were based on who had more health/shields. So even if two people with no shields beat each other down someone would live and someone would die even though you both had done enough damage to kill.

So they made the beatdowns trade when both players were low. Made more time to get your beatdown in to compensate for Xbox live and host.

Don't think there was any button glitches that were ever found really.

Although you could shoot your gun on your back behind you if you BXRYY'd quick enough. Have the picture on my H3 xxjuicesxx account. Always wanted to get someone no shields and jump over them and do it but it never happened, the chances were insanely low it could ever be pulled off.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I didn't get into Halo until Halo 3, so I haven't played that much of Midship. From what I've played, it's very good though.

However, Zanzibar/Last Resort is my favorite map of all time. Dat asymmetrical goodness.

From there, it'd be a mix of The Pit/Valhalla/Beaver Creek/High Ground.

Welcome. :)

OT: I just started playing through LA Noire.
It's so good. I loved RDR, but I prefer LA Noire overall. Probably because I'm a sucker for that era.

I like Timberland, But only because it has sidewinder bases and sidewinder is the best Halo CE map.

I agree they could use the Man Cannon from outside to storm the top section.

It's really not too advantageous to camp in the actual base though IME. Fighting a team that camps around them though can be quite annoying. I generally just wait for Rockets/Sniper to spawn if they are resorting to this tactic. I do get bored of the map sometimes because the sniper is a bit overpowered/dominating on it which can make it unpleasant when you don't have one. Not as bad on the Ridgeline version because there is only 1 Snipe in each base vs 2 on Timberlands.

The thing that really sticks out to me about Ridgeland/Timberlands is getting sniped, and then,when I tried to take out the sniper, getting MAULED by the FRG guy that was watching the his back.
This was in Anni BTB, in case you couldn't tell.

Given the evident increasing trend in customization present in the Bungie Halo games and Bungie's proven technical prowess, I find it very difficult to believe that user-created control schemes were left out because of laziness or difficulty of implementation (it should, after all, be technically simple to allow users access to configure their own schemes).

I believe it is an intentional design choice to ward off potential exploits and to present to the unwashed masses some options while maintaining a base level of usability. Basically, stupid people can fuck the game up for themselves when given free reign over things like volume sliders or button assignments. Do I agree with this philosophy? Certainly I don't think it applies to me, or anyone here, but I can't speak on a macro scale because I simply don't have the experience in user research (although I'd love to hear from someone who actually does, instead of erroneous causalities from Team Stupid).

If this is a reason why we are limited to these baked schemes, could we not simply increase the barrier of entry for altering these settings? Perhaps a button code to open up an advanced menu?

honestly, if i could have Relic, Terminal, Turf, Containment, and Headlong on repeat i think i'd be in heaven.

amazing that only one of these has been remade. and it was good.

Top Bottom