• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

All these button glitches were so long ago, they need to stop being afraid and code their game proper. If there ends up being a glitch you patch your game and fix it in a timely manner. If you cant do that your system needs to be thrown out and redesigned from ground up because its too complex and not flexible enough. AKA it has no Adaption. Thats a bad system. I'd gladly playtest button combos for them.

I understand you should have a few setups pre-made and hide this custom mapping feature a little deeper not to scare casuals. It should be there by now though. Its 2012.

Aggrotek

I'm sorry. There's still time to stop.

Edit: Dear Rockstar, there's still time for you to release an I am Legend DLC for L.A. Noire, and if you did that, all would be forgiven.
I'm liking it so far...

I didn't get into Halo until Halo 3, so I haven't played that much of Midship. From what I've played, it's very good though.

However, Zanzibar/Last Resort is my favorite map of all time. Dat asymmetrical goodness.

From there, it'd be a mix of The Pit/Valhalla/Beaver Creek/High Ground.

It's so good. I loved RDR, but I prefer LA Noire overall. Probably because I'm a sucker for that era.
I love the noir feel. The music is spot on too.
That game has some questionable story bits, like you will be saying to yourself "This isn't right". Decent game, some story bits are are really intriguing.
I'm guessing you can't explain without spoiling.

Released

Damnation>Prisoner>Chill Out>HeH>BC/Derelict

I'd probably throw RR ahead of BC and Dere. Dere's 30 second rockets and BC's framerate and LoS issues are just too problematic to consider them anything more than mid tier.

Tashi said:
Nah, I guess I don't remember lol

Red team won BC flag around 95% of the time, and they won around 90% of the time for slayer. Now given the way MLG seeding works, you'd expect red team to win more often than not, but that's just ridiculous.

Enfinit

I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish. But, Waterworks was one of the best BTB maps of all time. What other map could you shoot a stalactite and have it kill your enemies?!

I'm just messing, that's my opinion

That's the main reason Waterworks was amazingly awesome. Death Island is still my favorite Halo CE map.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'd probably throw RR ahead of BC and Dere. Dere's 30 second rockets and BC's framerate and LoS issues are just too problematic to consider them anything more than mid tier.

Red team won BC flag around 95% of the time, and they won around 90% of the time for slayer. Now given the way MLG seeding works, you'd expect red team to win more often than not, but that's just ridiculous.

Well if it was anywhere near as bad as you're exaggerating then it would have been removed from the circuit. Whatevs, still played the fuck out of that map. Suprised I don't remember shit like that though.

Striker

Reach BTB is a lost cause. 343 (and Certain Affinity?) gave it a much needed boost with the Anni maps, but it's still largely a turd. Reach vehicle health and banshee abuse alone make BTB miserable.
Even with miserable vehicle health, 343 made the Banshee abuse worse by adding more maps into the rotation for it. Heavies uses it, and there's of course Spire and Boneyard, absolutely wonderful. Why they wanted to have those two maps on the forefront still is dumbfounding. They also allowed less and less objective based games, so in the end, after Bungie brought in more community maps which essentially phased out Boneyard/Spire, and made it more objective based as it should be, it was ripped to shreds by 343's changes. No one else to fault, to be honest.

Meh maps:
Foundation
Desolation
Tombstone
Waterworks
Zanzibar

Shit maps:
Backwash
Coagulation
Colossus
Absolutely disagreed. Waterworks was one of best BTB maps in the series, let alone just Halo 2. Its bright spots were 2-Bomb and Flag Wars. Zanzibar was your prime 1-flag map in the series, as well, and has yet to be beaten. One Bomb was equally excellent on there. Bungie pushed it hard in their pre-release to show off the new gametypes. Colossus was pretty fun for 4v4, but made better when 6v6 Team Battle (slayer/CTF/Assault) got made in H2. Coag I still see getting ripped, but it was still loads more fun than anything I've played in BTB since in 3 and Reach.

Released

Well if it was anywhere near as bad as you're exaggerating then it would have been removed from the circuit. Whatevs, still played the fuck out of that map. Suprised I don't remember shit like that though.

I'm not really exaggerating =/

And Flag was eventually removed from the circuit for that reason.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a fun map. I played the hell out of it too. It's just not balanced for competitive play.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not really exaggerating =/

And Flag was eventually removed from the circuit for that reason.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a fun map. I played the hell out of it too. It's just not balanced for competitive play.

You're making we wanna bust out some old MLG rebroadcasts lol

Aggrotek

Ivory Tower is shit compared to best maps.

Best halo 2 maps:
Midship
Lockout
Beaver Creek
Headlong
Sanctuary
Terminal
Turf
Warlock
Relic
Colossus

Decent maps:
Ascension
Burial Mounds
Containment
Elongation
Gemini
Ivory Tower

Meh maps:
Foundation
Tombstone
Waterworks
Zanzibar

Shit maps:
Backwash
Coagulation
Desolation

Some people will disagree with certain Mehs/Decent but that's how I mostly feel. Also just making this list I realized how many maps there are that are still above the bar set by H3 and Reach. So sad.

Changes in bold. I absolutely loved Colossus.

Why do people have a love for maps with unbalanced initial spawns? You will see people absolutely adore Beaver Creek - and yet one side always always always had a significantly better initial spawn.

I'm not saying it's a bad map, but if I were ranking the best maps in Halo, I don't think I'd ever start with maps that have unbalanced initial spawns.
I've thought that if they made Beaver Creek fully symmetrical, with the arch being a full arch in the middle and each side having a sniper ledge/cave thing that it would be better

I wouldn't say it's necessarily worse but seeing that yes this is what people will be playing on the control schemes do very much seem awful.

Also because I too cannot get over what I'll likely be playing for the rest of 360's duration, I'm gonna requote myself:

As much as I'd like to see 60 fps, spec mode, dedi's et al I could never really get that mad over their absence in Halo 4 merely because they're huge undertakings that 343 decided against and they decided that Spartan Op's was going to be their big ticket feature. I not the happiest they took this route (I'd prefer MP centric features) but they chose it and iterated on it with their resources. The reason I think the bumper jumper jet pack issue is worse is because

1. It's been brought up on forums so, so many times since mid 2010. BJ USERS CANNOT USE THE JETPACK PROPERLY is the main point. 343 will not have missed this problem.

and

2. It's such an easy, easy issue to resolve. Offer both the original BJ (so BJ purists don't go ballistic) and offer a BJ scheme with AA on RB and melee on B.

It's so offensive because it's not an issue of resources or bandwidth or animation glitches. It's just blank faced thoughtlessness.

No I think they only patched it once early on when beatdowns were based on who had more health/shields. So even if two people with no shields beat each other down someone would live and someone would die even though you both had done enough damage to kill.

Just found what I was thinking of

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_3_Title_Updates

"Fixed the bug that allowed a BXB combo".

So yes, they can patch animation glitches were any to occur.

Recarpo

lilty

I think Creek is fine in regular playlists but in MLG it's messed up because of the red side advantage. KoTH is fine but slayer and flag are usually bad.

Kuroyume

Banned
I would so rather have two more original maps instead of Forgeworld. At the very least I think they should create a playlist that only features Forge maps that way I won't see Forge infesting other playlists.

Colussus was dumb. There was absolutely no reason for the lowest level. And you could just spawn camp the shit out of people.

You have terrible taste.

The lowest level was good for tossing the flag down. Made much more sense that walking in a half oval.

Where there ever even an objective placed on the bottom of Colossus? One of the most useless bottom levels in all of Halo's official maps.

Burial Mounds had maybe the most hilariously broken spawn camping. You spawn in that little bowl of Hell, and get shit on from above all day.

I would so rather have two more original maps instead of Forgeworld. At the very least I think they should create a playlist that only features Forge maps that way I won't see Forge infesting other playlists.

You have terrible taste.

The lowest level was good for tossing the flag down. Made much more sense that walking in a half oval.

So you basically agree the map was flawed.

All these button glitches were so long ago, they need to stop being afraid and code their game proper. If there ends up being a glitch you patch your game and fix it in a timely manner. If you cant do that your system needs to be thrown out and redesigned from ground up because its too complex and not flexible enough. AKA it has no Adaption. Thats a bad system. I'd gladly playtest button combos for them.

I understand you should have a few setups pre-made and hide this custom mapping feature a little deeper not to scare casuals. It should be there by now though. Its 2012.

I have to wonder if truth lies behind what frankie said about button glitches.

While it makes no sense to me as i figured its simply a case of Button "1" is reload or Button "2" is reload if the actions and scripting behind the function executions are solid then i cannot see a reason that mappable keys would cause an issue.

I can't see frankie saying what he did with the intention to deceive maybe some engine quirk makes its an actual real issue.

Still the point stands, no reason why something like this cannot be patched out later if its bug ridden. Mappable keys would go a long way for some people. Not me personally I learn a scheme and I am set but other people sure.

Colussus was dumb. There was absolutely no reason for the lowest level. And you could just spawn camp the shit out of people.

+1 colossus was easily in the top worst Halo 2 Maps.

Slaker117

Over an hour late, but I thought he said that forge maps didn't contribute to the map count of 10. I would say expect forge maps at launch in addition to the 10 release maps.

From the 7/18/12 Bulletin.
Will any 343-created Forge maps be released into matchmaking alongside the 10 regular maps? - Link1201

We won’t be putting Forge creations in the “main” matchmaking areas initially, at least. Certainly Forged variants may go in (rules, the odd object placement) eventually, but we’re still discussing how to promote and enable Forge creations in a way that maintains a separation of that kind of content from the main mix.

Tunavi

Banned
Help, Sai-Kun has kidnapped me and is making me eat Korean BBQ and take cool skyline pics from the skyscraper.
nowkiss.png

senador

Banned
Welcome.

I personally think you have done a very bad job on Halo 4 so far. I'll be walking around PAX with a shirt that says ".map", in case you want me to elaborate more on that in person.

I was about to post something then it clicked and I LOLed. Good work Letters, good work. :)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As much as I'd like to see 60 fps, spec mode, dedi's et al I could never really get that mad over their absence in Halo 4 merely because they're huge undertakings that 343 decided against and they decided that Spartan Op's was going to be their big ticket feature. I not the happiest they took this route (I'd prefer MP centric features) but they chose it and iterated on it with their resources. The reason I think the bumper jumper jet pack issue is worse is because

1. It's been brought up on forums so, so many times since mid 2010. BJ USERS CANNOT USE THE JETPACK PROPERLY is the main point. 343 will not have missed this problem.

and

2. It's such an easy, easy issue to resolve. Offer both the original BJ (so BJ purists don't go ballistic) and offer a BJ scheme with AA on RB and melee on B.

It's so offensive because it's not an issue of resources or bandwidth or animation glitches.
It's just blank faced thoughtlessness.
Yeah, you're right. I agree.

I really do hope they tweak BJ and default.

Released

Burial Mounds had maybe the most hilariously broken spawn camping. You spawn in that little bowl of Hell, and get shit on from above all day.

Oh man, that brings back some terrible memories. Having to defend yourself off spawn against the noob combo when all you had was an SMG was incredibly frustrating.

Risen

I feel like the different spawns issue in Beaver Creek was magnified in Reach. I don't remember it being as big a problem in H2 or even H1. (Don't remember how it was at all in H1 actually) I don't remember people fighting over which color they wanted to be back then. With that said, top 5 map for me for sure.

It was definitely bad in H2... Reach is exponentially worse because of the addition of the trees which further cut down site lines for shots and nades off the initial rush. Yet another thing that has me completely scratching my head immediately when I see it.

What level designer would think those were good additions to an already unbalanced initial spawn? ( I can just hear the guy in my head... whoever he is... "but they help promote movement" lol )

Like the lifts and space in Zealot, something that should be so immediately apparent, it never exists in it's released form.

Yeah, you're right. I agree.

I really do hope they tweak BJ and default.
I don't want them to tweak it, since it is set up exactly the way I want. There is no reason for them not to roll out a tweaked BJ or default scheme alongside the already existing ones, however. lol 7 control schemes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't want them to tweak it, since it is set up exactly the way I want. There is no reason for them not to roll out a tweaked BJ or default scheme alongside the already existing ones, however. lol 7 control schemes.
BJ is perfect as it is.

A big part of that control scheme is to be able to jump and melee at the same time while keeping the ability to press other buttons if I need.
Well as Henery's main beef is with BJ, my main beef is with default. I just see L3 for sprint and B for Crouch as absolutely horrible choices and it would be so much more preferable to see them swapped.

If 343 adds slightly modified versions to these on top of the existing, that would be great.

Top Bottom