• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

BigShow36

SWAT doesn't make poor map design any less poor nor playable. Live up to the mistake, Swordbase is a bad map.

I disagree.

Due to the fast kill time of SWAT, a map like Swordbase, which is campy and slow due to it's poor design couple with slow default kill times, suddenly becomes a lot more playable. All it takes is one shot to down an enemy, so angles that previously were worthless are now viable and individuals can take on multiple in areas that were otherwise determined by who had the most players camping them.

Sword Base isn't terrible with SWAT like it is with other gametypes.

You'd be amazed at how gameplay that allows individuals to be effective opens up maps and makes them playable when they otherwise wouldn't be. Its one of the big reasons why, as Halo games got slow and more teamshot reliant, less and less "good" maps started appearing.

Stop complaining about how the ground looks. You're not even going to care during actual gameplay. If it makes the framerate smooth and more reliable, than that's a good thing.

You're not gonna think "wow, that grass texture looks so unrealistic" while you're getting lit up by machine gun fire during a match.

I actually think the grass/bushes themselves look better than they ever have (they actually look like real objects now instead of a pixelated mess).. the actual ground itself though is another thing.

u4iX

Wait so it's okay for you to complain about two buttons not being in the right position but I can't make a comment about the ground?

Fuck off.

I haven't complained about the buttons. I think there should be fully customizable buttons and there's good reason for it.

I'm fine with playing default, but I think the performance of the game, how the game runs, and the actual gameplay is far and away much more important than how the grass looks.

I actually think the grass/bushes themselves look better than they ever have (they actually look like real objects now instead of a pixelated mess).. the actual ground itself though is another thing.

Looks like a lack of quality AF as much as anything. But, again- if this is what needs to be done to keep the gameplay smooth, I'm all for it. I won't notice the ground when I'm playing a game, but frame drops on the other hand...

It makes aiming easier.

lfgl7.gif

u4iX

• Boltshot confirmed as secondary loadout weapon
  • Camo AA looks like Reach's, not much change
  • Looks like individual armor pieces have different skins too
  • Pulse grenade is the orange glowing ball (It disabled a ghost so prolly EMP)
  • Promethean Vision has the same effect, much shorter duration and much longer recharge

via: https://twitter.com/TimeGlitch

Good lord those ground textures are terrible. So this is where a sacrifice needed to be made? Quite disappointing. They are quite distracting and takes away from the other good looking stuff. Please tell me this will get better. If not I can live and I will still get this game but DAMN!

CyReN

• Camo AA looks like Reach's, not much change
  • Looks like individual armor pieces have different skins too
  • Pulse grenade is the orange glowing ball (It disabled a ghost so prolly EMP)
  • Promethean Vision has the same effect, much shorter duration and much longer recharge

via: https://twitter.com/TimeGlitch

Couple more

• Jetpack is a Armor Ability
  • Pistol reload seems very quick.
  • For CTF, looks like Red and Blue are back, not fury/pony whatever.
  • Pulse grenades? Active camo is an AA
  • Camo AA looks like Reach's, not much change.
  • Pulse grenade is the orange glowing ball.
  • Promethean Vision has the same effect, much shorter duration and much longer recharge.
  • Ghost can be disabled by Pulse grenade
  • The Pulse grenade looked like it kinda sticks in the ground and pulses for a second or two.

u4iX

Good lord those ground textures are terrible. So this is where a sacrifice needed to be made? Quite disappointing. They are quite distracting and takes away from the other good looking stuff. Please tell me this will get better. If not I can live and I will still get this game but DAMN!

sez4T.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
And now we know what the orange orb is. Thanks!

It'll be cool to throw those at a choke point and block all vehicles from passing through.

Looks like a lack of quality AF as much as anything. But, again- if this is what needs to be done to keep the gameplay smooth, I'm all for it. I won't notice the ground when I'm playing a game, but frame drops on the other hand...

I hope so, because that textures are awful compared to the enviroment

L1NETT

Does the camo still affect the radar like it did in Reach?

Camo and Jetpack could be so troublesome if not dealt with. Interested to hear the people who have played it thoughts.

Oh and I can still see PV still being the most popular AA by far.

Couple more

• Promethean Vision has the same effect, much shorter duration and much longer recharge.
  • The Pulse grenade looked like it kinda sticks in the ground and pulses for a second or two.

ugh

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Pulse grenades sound awesome, but I hope the vehicles get a buff to compensate. Or maybe they have recharging health, as was kind of implied in the specializations bulletin?

Not to mention plasma pistol loadouts.

Couple more

Isn't it Team Shark and Ray now though?

IHaveIce

Banned
Couple more

hope somebody tests jetpack and tells us the changes
edit: also I want details about the Boltshot

Does the camo still affect the radar like it did in Reach?

Camo and Jetpack could be so troublesome if not dealt with. Interested to hear the people who have played it thoughts.

I really want to know this. I'm not best pleased about camo returning.

It's a shitty ability to deal with, especially when a whole team has it.

Wonder if Pulse Nades are selectable in the loadout, Can see that being very useful for a BTB loadout. Pulse nades in choke points have a buddy with stickies.

So is that it for PAX footage? Just a 36 second B-Roll? Seems kind of a let down.

Figured we might be getting those Covie and Promethean weapons vids aswell as some more stuff.

Oddball stuff aswell maybe.

Ranking (based on skill) means sorting players out from least skilled to most skilled. TrueSkill does this effectively across a tremendous variety of competitive games on Xbox LIVE using sound mathematical principles, built on the shoulders of an already proven ELO system. Please, no more fire-and-forget TrueSkill bashing or I will come in here and make everyone take a math class next time, for reals.

Then why do the majority of games have one or two players who are good and the rest go negative ten?

Theory is good and all but in practice Trueskill failed Reach.

Modified Trueskill anyways. Noone is having close games in Reach, and when they do its because the bad kids on your team weighed you down enough to come close or lose closely to another good kid with bad kids on the team.

People post trufskilz examples every day. Individual experience DOES matter no matter what you think.

Further more its not actually working I've had ME go in alone and get matched up against a group of 3 on the other team and 4 more single players they are all Inheritors and they get the good random and I get the 3 bad randoms. How is that an equal balance? Its not. MM right now is just matching people with good connections up with each other its not accounting for skill at all. Which is why I still play people who are on their fifth game of Reach.

I dread going into MM alone. I beg for a mercenaries playlist cause every single time I go in alone I go positive 1-10 and they go negative 10-15. Every single time without fail. I've streamed it so many times after people leave and I keep playing.

Its a miserable experience.

Posted a few pics on HaloGAF.com. Not sure how clear they are, best I could do while standing in line. I'll have more once I actually sit down.

Ya know I don't get people like you. Why so sensitive? If it makes you feel better I will remind you that I'm still getting this game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it but those textures (or lack thereof) stick out like a sore thumb especially when everything else looks great. To not say something would almost be a crime.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ya know I don't get people like you. Why so sensitive? If it makes you feel better I will remind you that I'm still getting this game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it but those textures (or lack thereof) stick out like a sore thumb especially when everything else looks great. To not say something would almost be a crime.
I didn't even notice them, honestly. I was too distracted by epic weapon sounds and dry humping FLAGSASSINATIONS. But seriously, I don't see the shoddy ground textures as detracting from the experience for me. It's hard for me to care about it.

Top Bottom