• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

feel

They pretty much changed the aesthetic of everything to make it their own, then they decide to keep the awful looking Banshee from Reach... wow

Game seems great in that Bravo BTB video.

Gazzawa

"YOU CANNOT DROP THE FLAG"
m-bison-yes-o.gif

u4iX

They're gonna have to patch the game so that picking up the flag gets you +10000000 experience points.

No one's gonna wanna touch that thing.

L1NETT

So, uh, is anyone else worried no one in matchmaking is ever going to pick up the flag in CTF game modes now?

You get 150 "points" for it, so I don't think that is going to be a huge issue. But I will probably be wrong lol

Although I don't know what the points go towards, as there is no Care package drop thing by the looks of it.

Tawpgun

GUYS CALM DOWN IM SURE YOU CANT DROP THE FLAG BUT THAT MEANS YOU CAN PROBABLY THROW IT LIKE THE ODDBALL.

343 wat r u doin.

HaloGAF at PAX should really let devs know how shitty that is.

u4iX

This morning I was excited for new CTF.

I no longer want to play CTF.

I still need to play it first, I think going in with a team will be fine for CTF, but going in solo in MM won't be too much fun...

I like the commitment aspect to picking up the flag now, it's a big change that actually makes sense on a highly competitive level where you'll NEED to be set up and ready to pull a flag, but simply seeing it off cam and thinking about the casual audience, I think it really kills any fun, social aspect to CTF.

Unless there's some design peculiarity I haven't thought of, I can't see any reason at all for not allowing you to drop the flag.

What about dropping or throwing it to hand it off to a better positioned teammates? What about dropping it to fight back with something other than a pistol? I don't understand.

JHall

So you can't drop the flag.
You have unlimited pistol ammo while carrying the flag.
There is a waypoint over the flag carrier's head saying "KILL".

Please tell me one more time that "It still feels like Halo" while I go headbutt a knife.

Do the words "in terms of how it plays" mean nothing to you guys?

Halo 4 feels more like a Halo game than Reach does. If I have to explain this..

Yeah, but you were comparing Reach to Call of Duty. I fail to see how Reach plays like Call of Duty: it just plays like a less fun Halo game.

Havok

It looks like there's a waypoint over the enemy's head when they have your flag...? At 3:40.
Yeah, that's a real bummer. Objective sneaking was key in past games, seems like it'll be all but dead now with radar elevation indicators, increased radar sensitivity perks, Promethean Vision, and the multitude of waypoints.

Wonder what happens when you press Y when you have the flag. Wish that'd drop it just like it did with dual wielded weapons in H2 and 3.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more worried about the fucking waypoint over your head than the fact that you can't drop the flag. Though both are really stupid.

Also, at point Bravo's carrying 3 plasma grenades. Is that a perk, or standard?

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
They're gonna have to patch the game so that picking up the flag gets you +10000000 experience points.

No one's gonna wanna touch that thing.

There is gonna have to be a warthog on every map... PassengerDude is gonna need a lift from GunnerDude and DriverDude if he hopes to have any chance of making it back to base.....

so lets see.... MLG Dallas..... Team Slayer only....

eeblogue

Neo Member
Also it seems like you receive increased movement speed when holding the flag along with a constant waypoint on your head. No more sneaky caps, no more intense flag standoffs and no more juggling.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Unless there's some design peculiarity I haven't thought of, I can't see any reason at all for not allowing you to drop the flag.

What about dropping or throwing it to hand it off to a better positioned teammates? What about dropping it to fight back with something other than a pistol? I don't understand.

343 said they sat down and re-thought out some of the traditional game modes.

I'm very, very curious to hear their explanations behind these CTF changes. but at the moment I'm getting a major Sage vibe from their tinkering and that is very bad.

feel

I find it hard to believe they don't let you drop the flag, Bravo is probably too used to dropping it with RT which now fires the handgun.

Yeah, but you were comparing Reach to Call of Duty. I fail to see how Reach plays like Call of Duty: it just plays like a less fun Halo game.

I said it's the closest Halo will ever get to feeling that way, even considering the CoD influences in Halo 4.

It's ok.. I forgive you
<3

They pretty much changed the aesthetic of everything to make it their own, then they decide to keep the awful looking Banshee from Reach... wow

Game seems great in that Bravo BTB video.

Agreed. That map looks fuckin FUN as hell! Can't wait to play this damn game... 'tis a damn shame though Bravo didn't use other shit considering he knows fans wanted to see more from the redundant MLG footage.

CAPS CAPS EVERYTHING. ALL CAPS EVERYTHING.

The UI design seems to be predicated on the idea that the average Halo player does not understand anything that is happening at any moment, ever.

Defect

It makes sense lore wise. Spartans aren't able to drop flags.

Seriously though, either have a Waypoint over the carrier's head or not being able to drop the flag. Don't have both.

Why does the pistol have infinite ammo?

Is it a magic pistol?

If I am not carrying a pistol when I pick up the flag does this magic pistol materialize anyway? Why can't I always use this magic pistol? Does it come free with the flag?

And why does the flag make me go faster?

Where does babby come from?

u4iX

It'll be an interesting chage. For some reason I think the waypoints on flag carriers heads are meant just for this PAX event so that the games go faster and the action stays more constant.

I actually can't wait to play CTF actually. I think it really changes things up, maybe not even in a good way, but it'll be interesting... I'll go for flags all day. Long hair, don't care.

Is it a magic pistol?

If I am not carrying a pistol when I pick up the flag does this magic pistol materialize anyway? Why can't I always use this magic pistol? Does it come free with the flag?

On the UNSC Infintiy holodeck... anything is possible.

So now if I decide to play the objective in CTF:

I have a waypoint on my head saying "KILL ME"
I cannot drop the flag
My only non-close range weapon is a pistol that has bloom

Yea people are definitely going to go for the objective now, and not just farm kills for 10 minutes.

TCKaos

It might just be for the press, y'know. Like how they have invincibility activated in campaign demos for the press because the press blows massive chunks at video games.

This has to be a joke. Not being able to drop the flag is extremely dumb.

IN IT TO WIN IT!
tumblr_lszjm9EsRj1qcjedso1_400.png

On a more positive note, I really like that now they show the BR trails for the bullets. Seems pretty useful now so you can see the exact trajectory of those bastards to align your shots properly.. Looks like the Hammerburst shots from Gears.

Is it a magic pistol?

Infinity nanomachines.

DeadNames

Banned
Maybe they disabled flag dropping for PAX for all the noobs! Flag dropping will be in MM without a doubt...

/wishfulthinking

Seriously though... I hope this is an elaborate troll.

CyReN

Autosentry is a stationary bot that shoots at enemies, fairly powerful. Vulnerable while deploying. Lasts about 30 sec, easily destroyed. - TimeGlitch

Fucken nanomachines.

Anyone else expecting the final UI overhaul to have YOU ARE PLAYING HALO 4 where your health bar used to be?

(Changes to YOU ARE RELOADING when you are reloading.)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bravo was getting shot while in scope and it wasn't knocking him out. He was clearly not used to it because he just kept running into a wall expecting to be automatically knocked out of scope. Going to have to get used to that one.

The new CTF stuff is also going to take getting used to. Man, I just love flag juggling so much. It's k, my adaption is off the charts. Still burns though.

I find it hard to believe they don't let you drop the flag, Bravo is probably too used to dropping it with RT which now fires the handgun.

Yeah that and what are they planning to disable Switch Weapons (Y)? I don't think so.. CTF looks so badass!

I just realized you still can't see what your second weapon is on your HUD, the fuck?

Exactly, wtf.. They basically said they had that shit in later builds ;\

Top Bottom